Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

No way, man. It's all over. I'm gonna burn my Wii U. Might as well fire in all my other Nintendo stuff too.

IT'S ALL OVER!

*runs away screaming*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

sweetie wrote: »
    Face it lads the wii u is the hipsters console. Whos with me in growing an unruly beard?
    *Looks at Wii U*
    *Looks at beard that really needs a trim*
    :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Irish Halo wrote: »
    *Looks at Wii U*

Me too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Can I just grow a moustache?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Irish Halo wrote: »
    *Looks at Wii U*

I got beard too. Ffs, am I one of you now?! Feck.... Ah well, could be worse, I could be making love to a lot of gamers mums and brag about it while playing Cod. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I can't grow a decent beard in any way, shape or form, but I love me some Wii U.

In summary; **** all y'all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

So um, is the WiiU turning into a failure? Albeit, slowly? I like my WiiU, some brilliant games on it, but I, along with all you guys who have one too, are a very small group of hipsters now and I think Sony have it in the bag this gen.

I have a ps4 for the past few weeks, sure there is nothing on it of interest at the moment but sure it was the same with the WiiU for the first year, but some how the ps4 is selling a million times better as, I think people, in a more general sense, know the big games will come in the next year. You could say the same for WiiU but it just isn't happening. SSB4 is not going to sell millions of WiiU's in my eyes, it's not as popular as Mario kart which has sold 2.5 million but still Nintendo has made a loss, mk8 is more long term I know, but, eek, it's still not looking great in the long term.

And sure that QoL thing has to be revealed, a last grab at the casual 'blue ocean' crowed before Sony totally take over? Again?

Still love my WiiU though! it goes great beside my ps3 and 4 :)

So um, is the WiiU turning into a failure? Albeit, slowly? I like my WiiU, some brilliant games on it, but I, along with all you guys who have one too, are a very small group of hipsters now and I think Sony have it in the bag this gen.

I have a ps4 for the past few weeks, sure there is nothing on it of interest at the moment but sure it was the same with the WiiU for the first year, but some how the ps4 is selling a million times better as, I think people, in a more general sense, know the big games will come in the next year. You could say the same for WiiU but it just isn't happening. SSB4 is not going to sell millions of WiiU's in my eyes, it's not as popular as Mario kart which has sold 2.5 million but still Nintendo has made a loss, mk8 is more long term I know, but, eek, it's still not looking great in the long term.

And sure that QoL thing has to be revealed, a last grab at the casual 'blue ocean' crowed before Sony totally take over? Again?

Still love my WiiU though! it goes great beside my ps3 and 4 :)

I have Wii U, PC,PS3 and PS4 ( plus Ps Vita and 3Ds XL ) right now. And I see each of these devices very differently. I am a gaming hardware freak, so if I can, I buy it.
    PC - is still my main gaming platform and its going to be like that for ages. I cant see it going away.
    PS4 - I bought it on lauch, because I could. It does not have much to play now, but I see it as sort of investment. Games will come 100% for PS4 so buying it now does not make me worried when I am looking at current titles.
    Wii U - I bought it, because that is the only console that still focuses on local multiplayer. 4 people local multiplayer is something nintendo does great! I love my wii U as it is now. It has games that I want to play right now and I already like games that coming out in near future. I dont see wii U as investment, but as a Fun console I can use here and now. that says a lot, when its coming from someone, who does not care about Mario/Zelda and finds a lot of fun with wii U, without main Nintendo franchises.

Since I got Wii U, my ps4 is not even being turned on anymore. Iam purely playing on PC/Wii U now. I a lot more often go off PC and go play some wii u, then I ever did with ps3/360/ps4.

So tl:dr PS4/One is Being looked at like investment, and Wii U as Dying ( I dont really agree ) console, so thats why people buy other consoles more then Wii U.
    I personally think that Wii U is more next gen then other 2 boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Wii u will be treated like my Wii , games solely for its exclusives and I believe Nintendo are okay with this and hoping Amiibo and QOL will be other things for them to profit on.

Playstation has always been my primarily platform while its 1st year may be dry next year its 100% go time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Well yes the ps4 and xbone are long term investments and the WiiU has all the great games now, but it took a year to get those games so the WiiU at launch was an investement also. Me and you see that, along with 7 or 8million orther WiiU owners.

But that's nearly 2 years of sales, that's not great and it's Nintendo's fault for not advertising (seriously annoys me to no end with zero advertisements, what did they expect to happen?) the system at all.

I have the 3ds and vita also. I think sadly the 3ds is coming to the end of its cycle in the next year or two and I think they will get rid of the ds design in the next handheld, whatever about a hybrid system. As for the vita, it's neat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Got hands on with Nintendo's first party lineup for the remainder of the year earlier this week. Now I genuinely cannot wait for Hyrule Warriors. It's ludicrously fun

I got another person to look at me with a blank face, who has Wii at home ( that he never plays ), when I told them that I got Wii U and we should do Wii U party 4 players and drinks. I took me a while and a few googles images to show him what Wii U is as he just though its still a Wii. He knew everything about ps4 and xbox one though...
    Nintendo lost the dumb casual scene, but they are stronger then ever in "gamer" market. all those 8million consoles are sold to actual gamers, who buy games and love gaming. not someone who bought it as it was a new RAD thing and never ever played anything apart from wii sports.

If what, wii is a prove, that in most cases casuals stay casuals and never go beyond wii or mobile free game on the phone.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

So um, is the WiiU turning into a failure?

Failure in the sense it's not going to be the highest selling (or profit making) console of it's generation? Does that actually matter? It's not going to put Nintendo out of business. So what if 3rd party games don't come to the Wii-U - nobody buys it as their only gaming system. You buy it for 1st party titles you can't get anywhere else. Even if it turns out to be another Gamecube - that still makes it a great system with lots of great games.

The only thing that matters is that you got your monies worth from it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Failure in the sense it's not going to be the highest selling (or profit making) console of it's generation? Does that actually matter? It's not going to put Nintendo out of business. So what if 3rd party games don't come to the Wii-U - nobody buys it as their only gaming system. You buy it for 1st party titles you can't get anywhere else. Even if it turns out to be another Gamecube - that still makes it a great system with lots of great games.

The only thing that matters is that you got your monies worth from it. :)

Matters in terms of Nintendo's future direction. As fans of Nintendo games, we should hope they make healthy profits on their consoles, or the company could end up doing something with their games we don't appreciate, or leaving the industry altogether. Right now, they have a failing home console, and a profitable but still disappointing (in their own view) portable. Uncomfortable times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,175 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've changed the thread title. The original drove me nuts every time I saw it pop up :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I don't like change. :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I swear, recent posts make me think someone pressed a reset button.
    Can we not move on from the erroneous assumption that the WiiU is a failure and move on to see it as a format with a future?
    Smash Bros is going to be massive can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Can we not move on from the erroneous assumption that the WiiU is a failure and move on to see it as a format with a future? Smash Bros is going to be massive can't wait.

No?

Doomed, I tell you. Dooooooooooomed!

Or not. Kinda disappointed Toad got delayed, but maybe it'll be out before my birthday in January. :)

And then have double Bayonetta for the price of one.

Not a Smash fan but I do still have to get some games like Tropical Freeze

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Can we not move on from the erroneous assumption that the WiiU is a failure and move on to see it as a format with a future?
    Smash Bros is going to be massive can't wait.

It is a console with a future, what with a promising bunch of games coming in the next couple of years. But it is a Gamecube-tier commercial flop. Nothing wrong with being like GC in the sense that that machine was worth having and so is this one. Nintendo wouldn't make Wii U again if they had to do over though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

The Wii U has the finest web browser I know. I only surf Youtube on this now.

I love that Nintendo in general is an oddity for somehow providing games I want to play, if I wanted something cinematic nature I'd watch a TV series or movie. I had sort forgot what gaming was and I've never owned a product of their besides the original gameboy and GBA for Pokemon and Mario Kart only, so I don't have the nostalgia goggles that many gained as a kid, for the brand.

Nintendo are a pure gaming brand and it feels like it when you play their stuff.

I think the PS2 and the consoles of the 00's was the perfect clash of gaming and cinema narrative meshed together, everything since then makes me think "Try hard"

Resident Evil 4 is actually a very Nintendo in its mechanics, it's cinematic but is a very gamey game.

Shadow of The Colossus is something similar.

You always feel in control of the plot and gameplay (or at least the illusion of it, which is what all good entertainment is about), far more than some neutral, paragon, renegade which never amounts to much anyway

Wii U is like some thriving secret city of that sort of gaming that managed to be spared from disaster ,instead of becoming homgenous .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,888 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Triple AAA games are too safe. There's no room for a small developer to make a really off the wall game with weird ideas. Indie games are all well and good but I miss the b tier games that have vanished and added variety to libraries.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Triple AAA games are too safe. There's no room for a small developer to make a really off the wall game with weird ideas. Indie games are all well and good but I miss the b tier games that have vanished and added variety to libraries.

Splatoon looks like an interesting interpretation of the arena shooter.
    At least it gets away from the gun w@nk genre.

Adamantium wrote: »
    The Wii U has the finest web browser I know. I only surf Youtube on this now.

Love the Wii U's web browser for YT, except you can't change video quality until after you press play- which is really f***ing stupid.

I am actually with him on this. **** mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I am actually with him on this. **** mobile.

I would HAYTE to see Nintendo up there with Zynga and Popcap games..

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

God awful idea, no doubt brought on by the media morons suggesting "fixes". These same "geniuses" that get everything else wrong.

I think that would be nintendo's downfall.. If they went that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Dan Adelman leaves Nintendo
    In an e-mail interview on Sunday, Adelman confirmed that he was leaving Nintendo to go independent, and said his former employer has been supportive of the move. Still, Adelman acknowledged that he was frustrated with the company's tendency to clamp him down when he said something that didn't mesh with the corporate message.

"I think people were kind of on pins and needles about anything untoward I might say," Adelman told me. "And every once in a while, I'd give an answer that people didn't like, and some people would freak out, so they tried to scale things back. First they had me do interviews with someone from PR or marketing. Later they just decided that I shouldn't be in the press at all anymore."
    "I had been strongly encouraged to stay off of Twitter—or at least say only things that were clearly safe—so after the region-locking comment they just said I needed to stop completely," Adelman said. "When people started complaining that I wasn't active on Twitter anymore, it was suggested that a PR person could just post in my name. I thought that was about the worst idea I'd ever heard, so I left it as is and let the silence speak for itself."

dbc.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

This might be just me but I never considered the Wii/Wii U to be particularly strong in what I consider the Indie Market. Maybe i'm wrong, but almost all Indie games I play are on X-box, PS3 and PC. But it's still a shame none the less. They are a company, who in many respects, while breaking down walls with one hand, raises antiquated viewpoints with the other hand.

Nintendo may be left with no other option despite on bringing mario to mobile it may just be the only option they have if they do not change there handling with 3rd party companies.

Nintendo bought back a majority of there shares not so long ago but if there shareholders are not pleased with the Q results then they be really forced to give in.

I am assuming alot of ninty shareholders are japanese and so how huge mobile scene is in japan they see it as a utopia of profit while we see it as nothing but casual microtranaction bull****.

There has been reports I seen that some of em are trying to kick iwata out , with increasing evidence building it may very well be just that.

I hope its not the case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Nintendo may be left with no other option despite on bringing mario to mobile it may just be the only option they have if they do not change there handling with 3rd party companies.

Nintendo bought back a majority of there shares not so long ago but if there shareholders are not pleased with the Q results then they be really forced to give in.

I am assuming alot of ninty shareholders are japanese and so how huge mobile scene is in japan they see it as a utopia of profit while we see it as nothing but casual microtranaction bull****.

There has been reports I seen that some of em are trying to kick iwata out , with increasing evidence building it may very well be just that.

I hope its not the case.

the shareholders dont seem to have the power with nintendo with the company being run like a dictatorship under iwata and the way the managers want the son of the previous CE to take over

i would like to see Ninty America gain more influence as they seem to know what they're doing

if nintendo left it to the US arm to deal with third parties things would be a lot better

If nintendo go mobile gaming to me will be dead as they're one of the very last companies that dont attempt to nickel and dime you

Advertisement