Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,863 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

If ye are quick enough, and live near there. Santry CEX has one according to their site. So second hand for €35.

Think I paid £35 for my copy from cex

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Rumour (God I hate them), is that (because of the success of Windwaker HD) Retro are making a HD version of the Trilogy and going to (maybe) add Metroid Hunters.
    I read it somewhere when I was trying to find a decent price after all the Tesco ones were gone. Think it was nintendolife or WiiUdaily, although I'm not holding my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Allyall wrote: »
    Rumour (God I hate them), is that (because of the success of Windwaker HD) Retro are making a HD version of the Trilogy and going to (maybe) add Metroid Hunters.
    I read it somewhere when I was trying to find a decent price after all the Tesco ones were gone. Think it was nintendolife or WiiUdaily, although I'm not holding my breath.

TBH, suprised Ninty didnt have a load of Gamecube and N64 remakes/HD games to announces at E3 this year to keep us going into 2015 for new Metroid, Star Fox etc.

Metroid Prime Hunters, on the Wii U in HD... hmm.. could work very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,863 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I've said it before. I have Metroid Prime and Echoes on Gamecube, Corruption on Wii and I bought the trilogy on Wii, yet I would happily buy a HD remake.

The investor meeting is this Friday I believe. They usually reveal something there, but I think E3 and the response from media and consumers to their E3 was good enough to reassure everyone for now. Think the Amiibos were revealed at the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Sometimes the Tesco €5 games are in stands to themselves, not necessarily on the shelves. Saw on in Tesco Dundrum filled with DS, PS3 and Xbox games, no Trilogy however.....or Wii games at all :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I tried to go back and finish Prime GC version on the wii, eugh it's very hard to get the hang of the controls for someone who never had a Gamecube. Tempted to restart on the trilogy using wii controls but a HD version on wii u would be amazing! enjoyed the hell out of Super Metroid on the Wii u gamepad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I've said it before. I have Metroid Prime and Echoes on Gamecube, Corruption on Wii and I bought the trilogy on Wii, yet I would happily buy a HD remake.

The investor meeting is this Friday I believe. They usually reveal something there, but I think E3 and the response from media and consumers to their E3 was good enough to reassure everyone for now. Think the Amiibos were revealed at the last one.

I'm the same, I have them all singly and finished Corruption as a stand alone title before picking up Metroid Prime trilogy on release.
    HD remasters with updated textures, touch pad features as well as a traditional style of stick and button movement could be interesting.
    Metroid Prime Hunters, in HD with online and local multiplayer could be all kinds of awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

People buying multiple copies of Trilogy for €5 was bad form imo. Spread the love.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It looks like, into June, the WiiU is outselling the PS4 in Japan and doing pretty decent numbers in the US, not as good as the XB1 or PS4 but respectable.
    http://www.cinemablend.com/m/games/Wii-U-Continues-Outsell-PS4-Japan-Weekly-Basis-64888.html

Not quite the sales the company was aiming for at launch but not the disaster it seemed earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Invertpyramid

Give it time. The 3ds has a horrible launch but gained momentum. That might happen here too.

• Advertisement

Give it time. The 3ds has a horrible launch but gained momentum. That might happen here too.

Oh, I'm not under any illusions about the systems long term popularity, but I would like to see it do the sort of numbers to spur on further third party development.
    But there would appear to be, finally, a spark having ignited, a growing recognition of the format and the quality of its games.
    With some careful management we could see the WiiU become successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

It will, i can feel it in my bones! it has an insane amount of gaming to offer at great prices.

I look at the ps4/xbox1 future releases and its all over priced regurgitated sequels that is being released on the ps3/360 anyway.

G'wan the Wii........U!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    But there would appear to be, finally, a spark having ignited, a growing recognition of the format and the quality of its games.

It's not just MK8 either. That may have been the spark, but wow. I know 4 people that bought a Wii U in the last 2 weeks. One scoffed at mine earlier.
    Well, not 'scoffed', but seemed very unimpressed.
    Two of them bought it for the Zelda games. I think they both saw the Zelda clip on E3.
    I'm looking forward to the coming year :).

• Registered Users Posts: 25 john moloney

Looks like: Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, would perfectly fit in wii and wii u world.

Wii sold a lot and majority of sales were casuals. I sow a lot of wiis in non gaming families just sitting, doing feck all. Nintendo does not have a sea of casuals anymore.

Couldn't have put it better myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

While I feel the wii u is a great secondary platform I am unsure Nintendo can continue n the same path from here on out. The longer Nintendo continues to be different from the rest and release lower end specs compared to sony and microsoft if they continue to make consoles after ps4 and xbox one the harder it will be for new players to jump on nintendo platforms especially the heavy decline of 3rd parties over the years.

I want all parties to succeed for the good of competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

nix wrote: »
    It will, i can feel it in my bones! it has an insane amount of gaming to offer at great prices.

I look at the ps4/xbox1 future releases and its all over priced regurgitated sequels that is being released on the ps3/360 anyway.

G'wan the Wii........U!

This.

I just do not see the point of upgrading my PS3 to a PS4 at all while new games are still coming out for the PS3 over the next 2 years at lease. I mean, with PS+ the amount of games I get for the PS4 let alone the PS3, over the next 2 years will all be big games that I might have bought for the system but wont be as I'll have them on my sub, so Sony wont make much outta me in games for the PS4 if you get me, as I am sure The Order, U4 and other top notch games will be coming onto the PS+ thing over the next 2 years. No incentive to buy PS4 at all now.

I bought Puppeteer for the PS3 in March and a month later it was on the PS+ list of games, I got it 'free', and my disc copy will never be opened and has taught me not to buy games for the PS3 unless I absolutely love love, love that game or its an amazing deal.

So on that note I hope the Wii U does really well over the next year as it will be my next gen system for the foreseeable future with some super games coming down the line, AAA and Indie. And I hope Ninty never have a PS+ type system on their system.

As of the XBone, it can go choke on a bag of d!cks for all I care lol.

Well, that was a rant :rolleyes:

My next purchase will be Wii Sports Club, it's getting the physical release I guessed it would on the 11th of July and I think it's going to sell loads.
    Like Reggie says about MK8, it's not a typical annualised release, it's the sort of game that's going to sell for years.
    I'm mostly getting it for the Golf game, it's fantastic.

And if you feel you were "burned" by the Wii, and find it reason enough to buy the WiiU that's your choice but unfortunate.
    It's no sense either as the Wii had excellent support from Nintendo in terms of damn good first party support.
    But, that's fine.
    Each to their own.
    Though I think you are way overstating the dust catching nature of the Wii, given its ubiquitous nature, it's massive market penetration, it was inevitable that some who bought it got bored with it.
    But that's not counting the other users who got lots of play from it, and I know plenty of those.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The games in Wii Sports Club are actually good this time round and less gimmicky :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

The games in Wii Sports Club are actually good this time round and less gimmicky :)

How are the different from the Wii?

Like I have Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort (which I LOVE) whats the benifit?

FYI I couldn't care about Wii sports being online

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

The golf game is pretty fun. I was tempted to buy it on its own as I wasnt taken by the others. Bowling on the 360 is better imo and tennis is again imo always awful, maybe as I used to play tennis to a decent level and it just bugs me that it doesnt play anything like tennis. I'm sure the golfs probably the same but not being a golfer probably allows me to enjoy it more without getting caught up in the thoughts of likes of "thats not how spins should work" etc..

Be interesting what price they release it at as a hard copy, what will be included and will it have a knock on price on the online prices.

• Advertisement

Tennis is again imo always awful, maybe as I used to play tennis to a decent level and it just bugs me that it doesnt play anything like tennis.

Shazam:
    http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/consoles-games/nintendo/137/q_grand+slam+tennis/

Wii Grand Slam Tennis is the bees-knees.

Will the new one have sword-fighting? Frisbee Golf? Archery? Those were as much fun as the original 5 :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Cormac... wrote: »
    How are the different from the Wii?

Like I have Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort (which I LOVE) whats the benifit?

FYI I couldn't care about Wii sports being online

Well besides the increased accuracy in all the games, for example the golf you now put the controller on the ground and the screen acts as your swing area.

Now you have to look down at the ball, then you can adjust your angle and power, and swing accurately too.

It's really great fun. Haven't played boxing yet though.

Well besides the increased accuracy in all the games, for example the golf you now put the controller on the ground and the screen acts as your swing area.

Now you have to look down at the ball, then you can adjust your angle and power, and swing accurately too.

No offence intended of course, but that sounds like a pain for the purpose I want to use Wii Sports for (4 drunk guys playing it)... too much accuracy and broken/stood on wii remotes

Shazam:
    http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/consoles-games/nintendo/137/q_grand+slam+tennis/

Wii Grand Slam Tennis is the bees-knees.

Will the new one have sword-fighting? Frisbee Golf? Archery? Those were as much fun as the original 5 :pac:

I just had a look at a youtube video for Grand Slam Tennis. The head developer was giving gameplay tips etc...

I could go on and on about how wrong it all looks but I'll spare you the boredom. Suffice to say the only think they got right was the ready position.

Personally when I play a tennis game its got to be Virtua Tennis 2 with an arade stick on the PS2. Its not realistic but it plays fantastically well. Pure fun. And thats were the motion tennis games fall down imo. They loose their fun factor so to speak becuase even when they're trying to be fun instead of realistic they fall short due to poor execution. Whether its on Wii, Wii U or Kinect theres always times you swing and it doesnt register or makes you do something completely different to the command you tried to give it. Say I want to send a ball down the line I end up hitting it cross court or whatever.

Golf is a bit different because its not as reactionary. For example if your tee'ing off and you miss the ball because the motion controller didnt pick up your swing you just try again. It's a slower and more forgiving process.

/rant.

The golf game using the wii u pad on the ground is a great idea imo. Makes you look down, reposition, etc...

I have tiger 14 for kinect, both are good but I keep looking down for my gamepad whilst playing Tiger!!
    No offence intended of course, but that sounds like a pain for the purpose I want to use Wii Sports for (4 drunk guys playing it)... too much accuracy and broken/stood on wii remotes

You'll just have to get less drunk or maybe play a different game whilst drunk. It's something I've thought of but it hasnt happened in my house yet. I'm very protective of my wii u pad though and anything wii u related in fairness. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

tennis is again imo always awful, maybe as I used to play tennis to a decent level and it just bugs me that it doesnt play anything like tennis. .

Tbf, that's like giving out about Guitar Hero because you can play Grade 8 guitar and you know how to shred. These games aren't meant to be full on simulations.

I'm very protective of my wii u pad though and anything wii u related in fairness. :D

Me too, but I had a look at it.. Not a lot to it. It'd be fairly easy to fix, should the unspeakable horrors happen.
    Just a quick look (Expensive on amazon UK)

Screen
    Digitizer

Looking for the screen link, I saw this. very handy (Hopefully nobody here will ever need it)

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Nintendo_Wii_U

Tbf, that's like giving out about Guitar Hero because you can play Grade 8 guitar and you know how to shred. These games aren't meant to be full on simulations.

Not the same as sport imo. The grand slam tennis is try to replicate the real thing btw but making an arse of it. Guitar hero isn't even trying to make out like it's simulating the real thing.

Personally when I play a tennis game its got to be Virtua Tennis 2 with an arade stick on the PS2. Its not realistic but it plays fantastically well. Pure fun. And thats were the motion tennis games fall down imo. They loose their fun factor so to speak becuase even when they're trying to be fun instead of realistic they fall short due to poor execution. Whether its on Wii, Wii U or Kinect theres always times you swing and it doesnt register or makes you do something completely different to the command you tried to give it. Say I want to send a ball down the line I end up hitting it cross court or whatever.

Well it uses Motion Plus and frankly I always found it very good at reacting to your real life movements, while being fun. It's not something that youtube vids will gives you the full story on. IT would be worth picking up if you can get one 2nd hand. If you don't like it sell it on. But it's really nothing like Wii Sports Tennis it feels more like a proper game. Of course i'm not a tennis player but this is a good game and well worth a shot. Like the ever so slight twist of your wrist as you swing will give you top/bottom spin, and depending on how you follow through after making contact with the ball will determine the arc of the ball and make it go closer to the edges

• Advertisement

So, on the one hand you have people who want something different from what went before, on the other you have those who don't want it too different.
    There are really those who will find fault, regardless of the title.
    I have the played the golf game in the demo and was well impressed.
    Makes you also realise what a Tiger Woods title could do with the technique, something that can't be offered on any other single format, console or PC.

Advertisement