Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Regarding remakes.
    Nintendo have the pricing there all wrong.
    Star Fox 64 on the 3DS is far far too light with anything new to the package to warrant a price akin to its launch price on the N64!
    On the other hand, Zelda OoT is a stunning remake with improvements everywhere. It's also a vast adventure with plenty to keep the gamer going. So I felt, and still do, that it's well worth the €40 or so price.
    Ico/SotC is probably the standard bearer for awesome value and is there with the Orange Box in terms of desert island games.

But it goes to show they are all at it, recognising the remaster as a revenue stream on every console, no matter if it's something we've all been looking for, like the aforementioned Ico/SotC pack or something I never knew was interesting like the Sly Cooper trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

What I really like about Nintendo is they made the WiiU backwards compatible for Wii games & controllers. This is a feature that is not talked about enough and a major selling point. If Sony or Microsoft did this then I honestly believe either the PS4 would be uncatchable or X1 would be level on sales. Instead of having to buy TLOU again with slightly better visuals, just pop your PS3 version in and play away. This is something I'll be doing when I get a WiiU and dust off my copy of Twilight Princess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Cydoniac wrote: »
    You know a company is on shaky ground when a controller adaptor is big hype though...

It's not really that big hype though. It's just a nice add on. The big hype is for the games that will use it like Mario Kart and Smash Bros.
    I actually think there's more justification for re-releasing a game at full price when it's still considered a relatively 'premium' title...for people who never played it before it's not a bad deal at all for a definitely improved version of a great game

I disagree. While I liked The Last of Us and take no issues with its re-release, it's a lot less justified when its so recent. It's a game you can still find in stock everywhere on a console that's still in stock everywhere. If you want to play the game, it's not very hard to do. Compare this to Wind Waker where you would have to buy a Wii/Gamecube (both out of production by now) and then a second hand copy of the game. Re-releasing it makes it a lot easier for new gamers. On top of this, TLOU still hasn't aged a bit. If it was released this summer exactly as original, people would still be clamouring over it and talking about how fantastic it looks. In comparison, WW was released in SD on a 12 year old system, the re-release is a huge boost visually, they made a game this old look like like a current-gen game. Not to mention that they've added in uses for the Wii U gamepad.

What I really like about Nintendo is they made the WiiU backwards compatible for Wii games & controllers. This is a feature that is not talked about enough and a major selling point. If Sony or Microsoft did this then I honestly believe either the PS4 would be uncatchable or X1 would be level on sales. Instead of having to buy TLOU again with slightly better visuals, just pop your PS3 version in and play away. This is something I'll be doing when I get a WiiU and dust off my copy of Twilight Princess.

While I really liked that too and wish the other manufacturers did it, I think it's part of the reason there was so much confusion about the Wii U with people thinking it's just an add on. You can only use one of the touch screen pads afaik so to a lot of people it seems like the main controller will still be the Wii remotes, which makes it really seem like it's a "Wii 1.5" more than anything.

Oh yeah its obviously the same thing of re releasing games that are 15-20 years old games like re releasing a game that barely a year old and calling re mastered and people gladly paying 70 quid for it.

But pay for it for all you want but forgive me for reading stupid comments on this thread from people who think their business men near their laptops and desktops.

TLoU is the perfect candidate for a PS4 release. It struggled on the PS3 and on older machines it turned the fans into 747 engines. Eveb for full price it's a nice little package given that it contains all the DLC and will run smoother on the new console. Certainly far preferable to Nintendo charging full price for a rerelease of a 15 year old game. At least when Sony rerelease an old title you get it for a knockdown price.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

C14N wrote: »
    I disagree. While I liked The Last of Us and take no issues with its re-release, it's a lot less justified when its so recent. It's a game you can still find in stock everywhere on a console that's still in stock everywhere. If you want to play the game, it's not very hard to do. Compare this to Wind Waker where you would have to buy a Wii/Gamecube (both out of production by now) and then a second hand copy of the game. Re-releasing it makes it a lot easier for new gamers. On top of this, TLOU still hasn't aged a bit. If it was released this summer exactly as original, people would still be clamouring over it and talking about how fantastic it looks. In comparison, WW was released in SD on a 12 year old system, the re-release is a huge boost visually, they made a game this old look like like a current-gen game. Not to mention that they've added in uses for the Wii U gamepad.

What's interesting about the Last of Us is that it has largely maintained its 'premium' pricing since release, quite like the way Nintendo first party releases tend to actually. While there's plentiful stock, it's not exactly easy to get at a dirt cheap price point the way you would with most games 12 months later. Now add to that the fact that the remastered edition is running at 1080/60 compared to 720/30 (plus surely many other technical improvements) - suggesting a serious graphical upgrade, if not quite as radical as SD to HD - and that it comes bundled with all the extra content (Left Behind seemingly being one of the perilously few cases of genuinely worthwhile, meaty, story-based DLC) and it actually seems like quite an attractive package even a year after release. From a business - and even artistic - perspective, the transition between hardware generations is a great time to re-release a game, because the original buzz is still there, you can overcome the technical limitations in a clear way and there's a market there of new customers who might not have owned the original release or are desperate for something to keep their console from gathering dust.

I'm still not going to buy it TLoU Remastered since I own the PS3 version, or I won't at least until (or indeed if) it's heavily discounted :pac:

The difference with Nintendo's games is that there's a perception that pulling a beloved game out of the archive and giving it a coat of paint is a cheap way to make lots of money - and this is a perception enhanced by how others have handled the whole remake thing. Sticking with ICO and Shadow of the Colossus: there's two games that really benefited from the increased oomph of the PS3 (especially since the original SoTC ran at approximately 12FPS :p), and were actually quite rare and expensive games (although the ICO reprint made that a little less expensive). Yet Sony managed to re-release them in one package at an attractive price.

Compare it to the Wind Waker and it seems even more attractive. Don't get me wrong, Nintendo's remakes do tend to have that extra layer of polish and refinement compared to most remakes (there's a lot of dodgy ones out there with little more than some ugly texture replacement), but even then I'm not convinced they justify a full-price release. In the WW's case, there's also the fact the game infamously has significant amounts of cut content due to the fact it was rushed to release. If they had of added that, then you have a different story altogether. But even with full HD visuals, a couple of GamePad additions and a few minor adjustments to the game's most grievous design errors, I doubt the re-release cost them anywhere near enough to justify paying the same price as a whole new Zelda. At a reasonably reduced price, I'm sure the temptation to double-dip would be a whole lot more appealing - especially when you see entire series being re-released on the same disc.

Worth mentioning the genuinely worthy remakes out there, though: something like Persona 4: The Golden more than justifies full price with its plethora of added content and refinements (even if I don't think I'll have to seventy hours to play through the game again!) or the Ys remakes which are so fundamentally altered as to be almost completely different games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,043 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've seen last of us discounted in plenty of online sales. Playasia had it on sale a while ago, sold out in a matter of a few hours though :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I've seen last of us discounted in plenty of online sales. Playasia had it on sale a while ago, sold out in a matter of a few hours though :)

Kind of proves the point :) It's still very much in demand, and barring flash sales it's still being sold for 30-40 euro in most places most of the time (compared to the rapid and definitive discounts you see with most titles - you'd actively struggle to pay 30-40 euro with a lot of games 6 months after release :pac:). I could be wrong, but don't think it's even had many significant PSN discounts, although I'm sure the PS3 version will show up on PS+ sometime after Remastered makes its appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

If anyone watches Reviewtech USA, he makes the argument that TLOU remastered is basically a sweetener for 360 owners who are considering which console to upgrade to and missed it in the 7th gen, as opposed to trying to convince PS3 owners to get it again.

Kind of proves the point :) It's still very much in demand, and barring flash sales it's still being sold for 30-40 euro in most places most of the time (compared to the rapid and definitive discounts you see with most titles - you'd actively struggle to pay 30-40 euro with a lot of games 6 months after release :pac:). I could be wrong, but don't think it's even had many significant PSN discounts, although I'm sure the PS3 version will show up on PS+ sometime after Remastered makes its appearance.

Compare it to Beyond Two Souls which was equally hyped and seemed for all intents to be one of last years biggest games, you can pick it up for under 20 euro in most places. I paid 14 for a new copy a few weeks back and you'd struggle to find TLoU for anything close to that, even second hand.

I have the PS3 version but never got around to playing it. My brother had my copy from the day I got it till months later and with my huge backlog of titles it's one I want to set aside a few days for and just jump into it. I had planned to play through it awhile back but the announcement of the PS4 version has me thinking I'll hold off for a bit as if the upgrade is as good as a few people have informed me it is then I think it's a game which will benefit from being played in the best possible presentation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

And pay €100-€200 extra to have the PS3/360 chips in it.

No thanks, not worth it when I still have my PS3.

BC won't be an issue in future for the consoles as they'll keep their PC architecture.
    It could be a problem for Nintendo if they decide to switch over for their next console.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The PS Now service that Sony is rolling out will allow anyone with a PS4 to play any PS1,2 and 3 game provided it in on the Now servers. Interesting to see how that works out. Could be the ultimate in BC if it all goes to plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

The PS Now service that Sony is rolling out will allow anyone with a PS4 to play any PS1,2 and 3 game provided it in on the Now servers. Interesting to see how that works out. Could be the ultimate in BC if it all goes to plan.

Definitely,

PS now I don't think hits Ireland until November/December though....

And I think anyone with a PS3 copy of TLOU can have a cheap digital upgrade to the PS4 version, that's cool of Sony....

If Nintendo could launch such a service with their entire back catalogue they can take my money!

Doubt the Wii U is powerful enough for it though, I could be entirely wrong though.... :-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,043 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The problem is Nintendo really care about the emulation of their older games which is why they write emulation code for each game. PS Now will provide decent emulation but it will be a good bit off what Nintendo offer. I could see nintendo being slow to offer up a now like solution. they dont really need it either for the wiiu since unlike the playstation family since the gamecube nintendo consoles have had very similar architecture. Also Now will face the same problems that the virtual console faces, many of the best games will be lost in a rights limbo and while there's companies like hung no and gaijin works sorting out rights issues for a lot of games it's not going to be comprehensive much like the virtual console.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭catfax

What I think Nintendo could do right now given their very limited options is cosy up to Steam as the companion console to buy for Steam's 80 million plus users.

1) Wii U is designed for streaming games over local LAN, it's the ideal controller/console for Steam in home streaming if they can convince Valve to partner up (I doubt Valve would decline). All they need is a basic client to receive the video from PC running Steam.

2) Most PC gamers are completely oblivious to Nintendo they simply do not register on their radar at all compared to MS or Sony so there is not a lot of overlap, people buy Nintendo for their games and not much else so it's not like Valve and Nintendo are competing directly.

Nintendo could argue don't bother with a Playstation or Xbox those are largely the same games on Steam at a higher price, look we got Steam, so you can play all your games Nintendo normally doesn't get and they might tempt some of these new users into buying some of Nintendo's own games as well.

It's about the only reason I can think of in getting someone who isn't an existing Nintendo fan to even buy a Wii U.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

catfax wrote: »
    What I think Nintendo could do right now given their very limited options is cosy up to Steam as the companion console to buy for Steam's 80 million plus users.

1) Wii U is designed for streaming games over local LAN, it's the ideal controller/console for Steam in home streaming if they can convince Valve to partner up (I doubt Valve would decline). All they need is a basic client to receive the video from PC running Steam.

2) Most PC gamers are completely oblivious to Nintendo they simply do not register on their radar at all compared to MS or Sony so there is not a lot of overlap, people buy Nintendo for their games and not much else so it's not like Valve and Nintendo are competing directly.

Nintendo could argue don't bother with a Playstation or Xbox those are largely the same games on Steam at a higher price, look we got Steam, so you can play all your games Nintendo normally doesn't get and they might tempt some of these new users into buying some of Nintendo's own games as well.

It's about the only reason I can think of in getting someone who isn't an existing Nintendo fan to even buy a Wii U.

Why do people who likes those games have to be labelled as a 'Nintendo' fan? It's a lazy label I've seen used a bit.

It's as if these games have only survived throughout the years because of 'Nintendo' fans. Not because they have been genuinely brilliant games, well comparable against any other games and the fact all sorts of gamers like them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Corholio wrote: »
    Why do people who likes those games have to be labelled as a 'Nintendo' fan? It's a lazy label I've seen used a bit.

It's as if these games have only survived throughout the years because of 'Nintendo' fans. Not because they have been genuinely brilliant games, well comparable against any other games and the fact all sorts of gamers like them.

It's boring, predictable and incredibly annoying, when people use that type of language.
    But, feck it, if they can't see what's so good about Nintendo games it's their loss, let them play whatever muck EA throws at them next.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭catfax

Unfortunately it's because it's true otherwise Nintendo wouldn't be in this predicament.

Nintendo do make great games but things like Mario/Zelda and so on have zero appeal to very large sections of the core gamer market. These people have never bought Nintendo, they never grew up playing Nintendo and they see a product designed for kids and families.

Problem for Nintendo is the casuals are gone to phones/tablets gutting their target market (they aren't coming back) and no amount of Mario is ever going to change the above minds of the core market so who is going to buy their wares, Nintendo fans thats who.

People are not buying Wii U's they need do anything and everything to broaden their appeal, more existing Nintendo IP does not work.

Which just completely ignored the fact the the 3ds is doing so well.

What's interesting about the Last of Us is that it has largely maintained its 'premium' pricing since release, quite like the way Nintendo first party releases tend to actually. While there's plentiful stock, it's not exactly easy to get at a dirt cheap price point the way you would with most games 12 months later. Now add to that the fact that the remastered edition is running at 1080/60 compared to 720/30 (plus surely many other technical improvements) - suggesting a serious graphical upgrade, if not quite as radical as SD to HD - and that it comes bundled with all the extra content (Left Behind seemingly being one of the perilously few cases of genuinely worthwhile, meaty, story-based DLC) and it actually seems like quite an attractive package even a year after release. From a business - and even artistic - perspective, the transition between hardware generations is a great time to re-release a game, because the original buzz is still there, you can overcome the technical limitations in a clear way and there's a market there of new customers who might not have owned the original release or are desperate for something to keep their console from gathering dust.

I'm still not going to buy it TLoU Remastered since I own the PS3 version, or I won't at least until (or indeed if) it's heavily discounted :pac:

The difference with Nintendo's games is that there's a perception that pulling a beloved game out of the archive and giving it a coat of paint is a cheap way to make lots of money - and this is a perception enhanced by how others have handled the whole remake thing. Sticking with ICO and Shadow of the Colossus: there's two games that really benefited from the increased oomph of the PS3 (especially since the original SoTC ran at approximately 12FPS :p), and were actually quite rare and expensive games (although the ICO reprint made that a little less expensive). Yet Sony managed to re-release them in one package at an attractive price.

Compare it to the Wind Waker and it seems even more attractive. Don't get me wrong, Nintendo's remakes do tend to have that extra layer of polish and refinement compared to most remakes (there's a lot of dodgy ones out there with little more than some ugly texture replacement), but even then I'm not convinced they justify a full-price release. In the WW's case, there's also the fact the game infamously has significant amounts of cut content due to the fact it was rushed to release. If they had of added that, then you have a different story altogether. But even with full HD visuals, a couple of GamePad additions and a few minor adjustments to the game's most grievous design errors, I doubt the re-release cost them anywhere near enough to justify paying the same price as a whole new Zelda. At a reasonably reduced price, I'm sure the temptation to double-dip would be a whole lot more appealing - especially when you see entire series being re-released on the same disc.

"there's a market there of new customers who might not have owned the original release or are desperate for something to keep their console from gathering dust."

You could easily say the exact same about WW though.

I never knew WW was rushed, it certainly didn't look that way and one of the more common complaints I've heard at it was that it was too long, which is why they cut some of the main quest from the remake. In any case, I feel like it is very different to SoTC or Ico to present today. I get the impression that Shadow and Ico were both relatively small-budget, small-team games to begin with. Ico is only 3-4 hours long and while Shadow has a large overworld, it's almost completely barren and devoid of sidequests. I'm not questioning the quality, they're superb and the package was a great deal, but they would feel pretty small if either was sold individually, especially considering the remake was just a case of up-scaled resolution, compared to WW which had more work done to make the most of the new hardware. WW on the other hand, is still very much like a modern AAA release in all but it's original graphical quality.

The time difference would also make me far more inclined to double dip. I paid €50 for WW 12 years ago and I haven't played in a long time. I paid €50 for TLOU 11 months ago. Rebuying the one that was much longer ago sounds far more appealing to me. I don't consider 720p/30fps to 1080p/60fps to be a massive jump (it's nice, I know which I'd prefer but most people probably won't notice it that much), but 480/30 to 1080/60 is huge. I'd imagine that the relatively high price point was more due to the fact that the game won't have a massive audience, and they certainly would have needed more people on a remake like that than on the PS2 remakes I've played on PS3.
    _Redzer_ wrote: »
    And pay €100-€200 extra to have the PS3/360 chips in it.

No thanks, not worth it when I still have my PS3.

BC won't be an issue in future for the consoles as they'll keep their PC architecture.
    It could be a problem for Nintendo if they decide to switch over for their next console.

He wasn't talking about backward-compatible software, he was talking about the controllers, which wouldn't really cost anything extra at all. 360 and PS3 controllers both work fine with any PC, there's no reason at all for them not to work with the newer consoles.
    catfax wrote: »

From a PC perspective, Nintendo is already far more appealing than Xbox or PS4 as a home console. Maybe you're right and Steam streaming would help, but as a PC gamer there's really very little to urge me to buy either of the others.

Wind Waker was definitely rush and had two dungeons cut from it to get it out on time. The part that was cut down in the remake was the end game triforce fetch quest which was pure padding in the original.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately the droves of DS and 3DS sales of both hardware and software would suggest you are mistaken.
    In that area it's Sony that seem to be getting the short shrift from the buyers with the Nintendo platform playing host to a myriad of games from developers both first and third party.
    It suggests Nintendo still has that recognition, they just have to better tap into it.
    Writing them off is lazy, people look at the Sega situation and make the same old connections, which is poor analysis and just repeating things they saw online.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So apparently the Wii u got a 666% sales boost in the UK. Of course, that could mean 0 or 666 consoles sold. Or it could mean 66600. But I believe the UK have some of the lowest sales which could be a good sign for other regions. Helps that there were a load of offers available.

And, yes, all the comments about deals with the devil were made. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Mario kart 8 was third just behind watch dogs , Uk normally is not nintendo strongest market so it showing good signs and mario kart normally is a title that sells well after release

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I do hate when percentages are used but an increase of sales is good to hear for the Wii U.

6 times what they were selling before is a great boost. If they got 6 times the sales globally they'd be out in front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I appear to have misplaced one of my personal Wii Us at some stage in the last few days. Which wouldn't be the end of the world, but it's the one with bloody MK 8 in it and I'm not at all impressed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

how many wiiu's do you have that you can just misplace one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

2 at home, 2 in the office. I was intending on bringing that one into the office because Nintendo is incredibly backwards and won't let me sign into my personal account on different systems, and I fancied some online play. It never made it as far as the office, seemingly, and now it's among the missing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

COYVB wrote: »
    2 at home, 2 in the office. I was intending on bringing that one into the office because Nintendo is incredibly backwards and won't let me sign into my personal account on different systems, and I fancied some online play. It never made it as far as the office, seemingly, and now it's among the missing

Any jobs going? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

COYVB wrote: »
    2 at home, 2 in the office.

Aaahhh...that explains the increase in sales

/runs

Advertisement