Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Affair [Showtime]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I forgot Noah went to jail ! He deserves more respect !!!
    Also....... was the English actor doing heroin ? I have never heard of someone shooting up vitamin B in toilets on a night out...,,
    Yeah what was he doing with a syringe? Unless he has a medical condition, which might be the reason and it's a red herring.

But yeah I'd be worried too about an ex whom I cared for if he was seeing a woman I thought was using heroin. Add children into the mix and it's ten times worse.

Wondering if Noah's perception of Sasha is similar to that of the prison guard - an actually decent guy but whom Noah is extremely paranoid about. Noah took pills at one point in the episode. Wondered what they were for - were they pain relief or psychiatric meds.

Yeah the way his prison stint may as well never have happened is annoying. I really hope too that insight into Alison's death and Cole's and Joanie's subsequent life is given.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Apologies if I missed it but didn't see anyone mention the daughters Irish hubby to be with the ridiculous accent and my family are all drunks stereotype

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Apologies if I missed it but didn't see anyone mention the daughters Irish hubby to be with the ridiculous accent and my family are all drunks stereotype

Is he Irish ? I thought he was Swedish it something ?.... that can’t actually be meant to be an Irish accent !

Is he Irish ? I thought he was Swedish it something ?.... that can’t actually be meant to be an Irish accent !

I thought the same at first, he just appeared in ep 3, definitely Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I thought he was Canadian, eh?

The actor is from England and is just listed as 'Colin'.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I thought he was Canadian, eh?

The actor is from England and is just listed as 'Colin'.

Latest episode clarifies he's Irish anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Yeah the accent is absolutely terrible

The actor is a Londoner. He gets the N.I. accent right at times imo. But when he doesn't it's really awful.

Crikey, a lot happened in that episode.

Whatever about the writing, the acting is of an extraordinary calibre imo. From the kids up to that absolute Baby Jane who's Helen's mother, superb.

Dominic west must have been thinking what the f when he was running around with all those sex toys... the show has become bizzare.... also when ever they want to cast an asshole they seem to just hire someone with an English accent

I actually thought Sasha was Furkat at the start of this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭thesultan

How did the woman at the end of the most recent sky Atlantic come into it. What's her story?

thesultan wrote: »
    How did the woman at the end of the most recent sky Atlantic come into it. What's her story?
    Which woman?

She is new to this series

thesultan wrote: »
    She is new to this series
    But which character is she?

She got rode by some black fella a episode back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Unearthly

She is Joanie (Allison and Cole's daughter) about 30 years into the future

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Watched the first two episodes of this. It's quite bleak - don't think I'll be sticking with this season.

It's so far away from the reasons I initially started watching.

TheSheriff wrote: »
    Watched the first two episodes of this. It's quite bleak - don't think I'll be sticking with this season.

It's so far away from the reasons I initially started watching.

It’s the final season... a few episodes left.. you might as well stick out this ridiculous mess of a show

Unearthly wrote: »
    She is Joanie (Allison and Cole's daughter) about 30 years into the future
    Never knew they went forward.

Cole dies in 2053 aged 74. Joanie (aged about late 30s/early 40s) goes to his grave in his home town Montauk, which is mostly abandoned due to flooding. She goes to his house too and throws out most photos and stuff, and the keepsake box for her brother Gabriel who drowned before she was born.

That was bleak stuff for sure. She's a messed up woman, unwilling to admit to those not in the know that she has children (on the surface because of the ecological risk, and she's an environmental scientist), has attempted suicide (she took a bunch of pills in the first or second episode but threw them up) and had really rough (including choking) sex with a stranger in deserted, dark Montauk while her husband/partner and children are at home.

She's an Alison clone.

• Advertisement

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Cole dies in 2053 aged 74. Joanie (aged about late 30s/early 40s) goes to his grave in his home town Montauk, which is mostly abandoned due to flooding. She goes to his house too and throws out most photos and stuff, and the keepsake box for her brother Gabriel who drowned before she was born.

That was bleak stuff for sure. She's a messed up woman, unwilling to admit to those not in the know that she has children (on the surface because of the ecological risk, and she's an environmental scientist), has attempted suicide (she took a bunch of pills in the first or second episode but threw them up) and had really rough (including choking) sex with a stranger in deserted, dark Montauk while her husband/partner and children are at home.

She's an Alison clone.

I wonder if Furkat is still operating in the future ? Maybe he is running the lobster roll ?

I wonder if Furkat is still operating in the future ? Maybe he is running the lobster roll ?
    You're spot on actually. Furkat, despite being in his 80s, elected to run the derelict Lobster Roll as the ultimate art installation in his late years.

Naturally he and Joanie end up riding too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

Ok I take back my earlier opinion somewhat, after catching up on all the season 2 episodes yesterday.

It’s totally bonkers but can still deliver really great, heart wrenching scenes. I also like that we got a Whitney POV- interesting that Helen is a borderline alcoholic who shields her daughter from none of her worries, in Whitney’s version.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Yikes the Sierra chapter was a hard watch. New babies are tough work but having one on your own is nigh on impossible. Why does everyone picture Helen as a bit of a bitch?

Yeah I like Helen. She's narky for sure but her partner (who cheated on her) has just died, she has four children to worry about - some of them troubled, her parents are deranged, the father of her four children left her for another woman, and she's expected to be everyone's rock.

Bloody hell I'd be narky too!

There seems to be a disportionately high number of assholes in the show.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

Sorry, but I didn’t feel that sorry for Sierra. Twice in the episode she put her baby in an incredibly dangerous situation. Yes being a new mother is hard, it must help when you live in a mansion and have next to no money worries though.

Some very beautiful homes..... the size of those door handles !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Shelga wrote: »
    Sorry, but I didn’t feel that sorry for Sierra. Twice in the episode she put her baby in an incredibly dangerous situation. Yes being a new mother is hard, it must help when you live in a mansion and have next to no money worries though.

Her mother is a nutter and constantly belittles her, maybe her whole life. Gives her bad advice etc. She definitely wasnt ready for motherhood. Hopefully she grows as a person as a result.

Cant believe she gave the baby to a 12 year old to mind though, especially with the colic etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Yeah I like Helen. She's narky for sure but her partner (who cheated on her) has just died, she has four children to worry about - some of them troubled, her parents are deranged, the father of her four children left her for another woman, and she's expected to be everyone's rock.

Bloody hell I'd be narky too!

I think this is where the multiple perspectives become interesting and I find have possibly even improved with more points of view and less crossover within episodes than earlier seasons. She nearly always see's herself as the martyr and a person that everyone thinks is a great person or 'their rock', rarely ever accepting from her perspective that she makes selfish decisions, instead always shifting blame to someone else for forcing her to make that choice.

For all Noah's faults, he regularly acknowledges when he is a mess and his poor choices, at times even taking more of the blame than what others see from their perspective.

Advertisement