Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Affair [Showtime]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

No I genuinely see Helen as a decent person. Don't get the hate at all. In addition to what I listed, she has to deal with Vik's mother now - a woman who always gave her a hard time because she didn't consider her good enough for her son. And she has a constant reminder down the street of Vik's infidelity, but she's still looking out for Sierra and Eddie when she can.

She was never hostile towards Alison - even letting her stay when she came to LA and had a meltdown. She also let Noah stay when he had his meltdown after prison - she was really worried about him; remember she visited his dad and sister to look for help for him. She welcomes Sierra (the woman who had sex with her partner) into her home. She was ever patient with Vik's mother.

Of course she has flaws - and I agree she can be too harsh on Noah at times (I don't get the hate of him either) but she's just tired of everyone's sh1t by now, and wants some Helen time. And someone for her to confide in for a change (Sasha). And yet, she's once again the bitch for being human.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

So the day after he beats the Muller probe, he makes this disastrous phone call ! .... it will be a great scene in the inevitable movie about his presidency....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Joanie is a tough watch! But the preview of next week's episode is worth watching until the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭Homelander

Such a strange show, I almost forgot I was watching "The Affair" by the end, though it is compelling and Anna Paquin is absolute dynamite. Thing with the files was absurdly daft though. As if a police station would just abandon ship and leave all their files behind. In fact, the episode itself was really horribly clunky and convenient, it's just the incredible acting that brings it all together.

Anna Paquin is great, although regularly doesn't hide her kiwi accent.

Joanie is a total asshole. I hate that thing of the woman being an utter bitch to a guy just because he's a guy, and he laps it up.

It was great when she let down her guard though - the actress is brilliant at being exactly like Alison. Even down to facial expressions.

• Advertisement

Yeah the casting of her as being Alison's daughter was spot on. She must have studied how Alison used to be because shes almost a carbon copy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Had a lazy, uneventful weekend and binged watched this. What a pile of pish (but I can't help watching).

Why does the show consist of awful characters?????

Man, Helen's father's dementia is bleak. Especially when his wife is so impatient with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Man, Helen's father's dementia is bleak. Especially when his wife is so impatient with him.

She might be but that could boil down to perception again.

Noah clearly doesn't like and we see continually in situations where characters don't like someone they exaggerate events to make them look even worse, when you compare to either the vantage point of the other person or even bystanders. We also don't see how many times she doesn't snap at him or what else is stressing her at the time, like Helen where we can understand why people might see her the way she does.

The portrayal of dementia is incredibly grim though.

Ben! Absolute piece of sh1t! :eek:

• Advertisement

Faaaaaaaaack! Noah! Why does he always land himself in the poop? I had my hands to my head for the last 10 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭MastiffMrs

I've always been a fan of the series but this last season just isn't doing anything for me. Such a loss to have both Alison and Joshua Jackson gone, they should have finished it last season.

I have to disagree with comments above on Joanie. I hate this character and find the acting just cringe worthy. The whole bleak future, climate change story is desperate. Also, why did they throw in the racism element? Was that just because some critics said the show was too white?!

That said, I'm going to watch it to the end. I hope they show more of Helen and Noah, and more of what made it a good programme. Less tabloid fodder. It's sad when the execs go for more money instead of quitting while they're ahead.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Faaaaaaaaack! Noah! Why does he always land himself in the poop? I had my hands to my head for the last 10 minutes

I'm surprised I didn't see the 'Me Too' angle coming before this season. Looking back right from season 1 he was primed to be a target for it, even if from his perspective he never did anything wrong. He always believed that nearly every woman was into him if not actively chasing him, even when from the women and independent character's points of view he was normally the instigator. Even if he is innocent, his resume of potentially inappropriate situations is a really bad look and his usual terrible attempt to rectify things only makes everything worse.

A lot of loose ends to tie up in 3 more episodes.

I hate the fact that most of his reputation that he went to prison, and he cant tell anyone that would instantly change their mind about him if he told them why he went to prison.

That was rough. Poor Noah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Raconteuse wrote: »
    That was rough. Poor Noah.

Has anyone ever continually made such a series of disasterous impulsive decisions as this twit, constantly ignoring the soundest of advice not to go digging big holes into canyons?

I think the show is really setting up a Brendan Fraser return......

Also inevitably it will be made known that Noah went to jail to save Helen..... and they get together again....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Unearthly

An extended episode this week. 80 minutes

This latest episode has redeemed the season, so much better to have them back to Helen, Noah and Whitney. Good acting again!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

The acting in this episode is absolutely astonishing.

On a side-note, watched the pilot episode at the weekend. It is as good as ever

• Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭mojesius

MastiffMrs wrote: »
    This latest episode has redeemed the season, so much better to have them back to Helen, Noah and Whitney. Good acting again!!

Yeah I liked how they shipped the Sierra/baby/ Priya storylines off into the Hollywood wilderness. Still think Colin's a fairly weak character but loved the acting by the main trio!

I thought Witney is a smart girl but she let herself be fooled by Audrey. Also the photographer is every bit a prick and she's only seeing it now. She definitely dish the dirt on him

JUSTICE FOR NOAH !!!! HIS CHILDREN ARE AWFUL CREATURES.... NO LOYALTY.... TOO MUCH OF THE EASY LIFE....FALLING IN LOVE WITH DODGEY PHOTOGRAPHERS AND CREEPY MOVIE STARS.........

The latest episode of the hike was ok, not as good as the previous one. Will be hoping the final episode is back to the same quality as episode 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

This was such a good episode. Mostly just the Noah & Helen show. Unlike many viewers, I'd love them to end up together at the end :o

Hopefully they wrap the awful Joanie story up super quickly next week.

Also, if I was Helen, I would have given the spoilt brat daughter a slap in her bony chops for talking to me like that.

People in the Affair really have exciting lives..... I have done F all since the show has been airing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭sok2005

I enjoyed the final episode a lot, I think it gave the fans what we needed. Although I wasn't a fan of the mid seasons, I'll miss this show.

I thought the final episode was really good, until they put in the part about Joanie. If they left that part out, would have been far better. Pity no flashes to Cole/Alison. Who'd have thought the Waterboys would have such a role in the finale?!!
    Helen and Noah having their chat, she was brilliant. This last season felt like 2 people were writing it, one who understood what people felt, another who was trying to be cool and futuristic and trendy. The first was way better.

• Advertisement

MastiffMrs wrote: »
    I thought the final episode was really good, until they put in the part about Joanie. If they left that part out, would have been far better. Pity no flashes to Cole/Alison. Who'd have thought the Waterboys would have such a role in the finale?!!
    Helen and Noah having their chat, she was brilliant. This last season felt like 2 people were writing it, one who understood what people felt, another who was trying to be cool and futuristic and trendy. The first was way better.

I think the Joanie arch was necessary to tie everything together, especially in this last episode, but the writing at times for it was just horrible.

Originally I was worried about the final season but they pulled it back together very well.

Advertisement