Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Meter Brands

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Definitely have, think it was around 2010 the idea was first around. Would be a great system if they can get it to work and at a good price, the constant delays don't look too promising though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

yeah - it would be nice to support an Irish company as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Another pedal based system on the way. No details on pricing yet.

Looks interesting. I think pedal based systems are the way forward

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Garmin had huge delays with the vector so I guess a small company would experience likewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Just tested the Pioneer and the Xpedo power meters here at the Taipei bike show. Pioneer one is the dogs ballsocks although. Not so sure about the Xpedo one though. Still a lot of testing left to do. Expect a Sept release date for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Sept release date for which one? Any photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Ryath wrote: »
    You have a bsa threaded bb on the Felt and a BB30 pressfit on the boardman. A 24mm axle crankset will fit in the bb30 frame with the right adapters but not the other way around. The best value crank based option is the FSA gossamer from Power2max for €858 delivered
    http://www.power2max.de/europe/en/Produkt/bestsellers/power2max-fsa-gossamer-road/
    You can use your existing bb on the felt and you'll need a 24mm to BB30 bottom bracket for the boardman. Which is €24 from p2max. You can use your existing chain rings if you stick with a compact. You can still then use the felt crankset on either bike.

There are dearer options. They have 24m axle rotor 3d cranksets for €100 more that would have same options. After that you're on to the 30mm axle Rotor and bor that would need their own bottom brackets which are dearer and would leave you not able to use your existing crankset.

Stages is worth considering if you can get from US with out duty but this side of the pond is min €700. Neither of dario28 cranks are compatible with a stages crank arm so he would still have to buy a crankset which is minimum €100 probably closer to €150. I'd pay the tiny bit extra for the power2max

Quick one for you before I pull the trigger . The BB adapter you suggested for my boardman , is that easy to install and say the power meter is on my tri bike and just want to go for a spin on the boardman , can i just pick it up and go or would I need to swap the power meter over ?

Thanks

dario28 wrote: »
    Quick one for you before I pull the trigger . The BB adapter you suggested for my boardman , is that easy to install and say the power meter is on my tri bike and just want to go for a spin on the boardman , can i just pick it up and go or would I need to swap the power meter over ?

Thanks
    with all due respect, it sounds like a powertap could be the best option for you. Simply swap the wheels.

edit - if that came across a bit harsh I didnt mean it to. I simply meant the easiest option would be a powertap as you would just need to swap the wheel. With a crank based power meter you would need to swap the crank. Apart from having to remove the existing bb30 and have an adaptor fitted, you would need to swap the crank each time you wanted to use the power meter on the other bike.

dario28 wrote: »
    One thing is for sure I'll never learn with answers like that !
    see my edit.

lennymc wrote: »
    with all due respect, it sounds like a powertap could be the best option for you. Simply swap the wheels.

edit - if that came across a bit harsh I didnt mean it to. I simply meant the easiest option would be a powertap as you would just need to swap the wheel. With a crank based power meter you would need to swap the crank. Apart from having to remove the existing bb30 and have an adaptor fitted, you would need to swap the crank each time you wanted to use the power meter on the other bike.

He probably needs two!

One of the reasons I went for the stages is its easy of changing between bikes.

• Advertisement

see my edit.

Ha cheers

I did think about powertap , but then if I got it on my zipps its restricted to riding on good days , where if i had crank based could use it in any weather.

Im fooking clueless about all the bike mech stuff in fairness , the best option for me would be vectors , but the price is just a bit too high

godtabh wrote: »
    He probably needs two!

same problem with stages also , different spindle sizes they said

godtabh wrote: »
    He probably needs two!

its easy if you have compatible cranksets. In my own example stages would be a pita because I have bb30 on one bike and gxp on another. Plus the bb30 is only available in stages in alloy (FSA0 iirc) which would mean as well as the power meter I would need to get a new drive side crank. With a powertap, 20 seconds and you have changed from one bike to the other. With crank based systems (after you have gotten over the bb incompatibilities) you need to remove the crank, refit to new bike, torque it up etc. Its not a very efficient way to change a power meter.

Anyway, just my tuppence, as someone who went through the same 'i want a power meter - which one will I get that will work on multiple bikes' experience. Im looking at buying a dedicated power meter for the race bike and looked at the crank based options, but I think I'm going to stick with the powertap.

its easy if you have compatible cranksets. In my own example stages would be a pita because I have bb30 on one bike and gxp on another. Plus the bb30 is only available in stages in alloy (FSA0 iirc) which would mean as well as the power meter I would need to get a new drive side crank. With a powertap, 20 seconds and you have changed from one bike to the other. With crank based systems (after you have gotten over the bb incompatibilities) you need to remove the crank, refit to new bike, torque it up etc. Its not a very efficient way to change a power meter.

Anyway, just my tuppence, as someone who went through the same 'i want a power meter - which one will I get that will work on multiple bikes' experience. Im looking at buying a dedicated power meter for the race bike and looked at the crank based options, but I think I'm going to stick with the powertap.

I baed that on the assumption that a standard BB30 would be used to allow it to be swapped. Again my reasoning would be that the next bike I get would more than likely have the same groupset as I am more than happy with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

Two powertap G3 hubs = 1600 euro + wheelbuilding costs. Pricey yeah but not much more than other powermeters when you include chainrings, BBs etc.

One for training, one for racing, simples. Lowest weight of any powermeter too. The idea of swapping cranks routinely (like all good intentions) is great but we all have those weeks were we can't even be arsed fixing a puncture or changing brake pads. I do anyway.....

Nice to just jump on the bike and go.

i_surge wrote: »
    Two powertap G3 hubs = 1600 euro + wheelbuilding costs. Pricey yeah but not much more than other powermeters when you include chainrings, BBs etc.

One for training, one for racing, simples. Lowest weight of any powermeter too. The idea of swapping cranks routinely (like all good intentions) is great but we all have those weeks were we can't even be arsed fixing a puncture or changing brake pads. I do anyway.....

Nice to just jump on the bike and go.

The stages weighs 20g.

91314141@N02

lightbox

Not sure why images won't embed. Here's the link to the rest: https://www.flickr.com/photos/91314141@N02/with/12958420284/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭nilhg

91314141@N02

lightbox

Not sure why images won't embed. Here's the link to the rest: https://www.flickr.com/photos/91314141@N02/with/12958420284/

You need to put a URL ending with .jpg into the IMG tags, there's a way to get the flickr to produce the code for you, just copy and paste into boards once you have it, see below.

297256.JPG

Can't figure it out I'm afraid. On an iPad which may have something to do with it.

5987668944399695106?banner=pwa&pid=5987668944399695106&oid=105171181803113268313

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

If anyone is having trouble sourcing a Stages power meter, Merlin Cycles (UK) have them in stock again.

• Advertisement

Can't figure it out I'm afraid. On an iPad which may have something to do with it.

5987668944399695106?banner=pwa&pid=5987668944399695106&oid=105171181803113268313

Figured out the problem. Using Firefox i open the pic and 2 finger tap it and "Copy Image Location" and then paste in this URL image link. Had forgotten that.

13056841045_4eeefa8435_c.jpg

13056839585_bd2204cf4c_c.jpg

13056838005_9f703591d6_c.jpg

13057181684_8cf4729553_c.jpg

13057180204_759c1e6009_c.jpg

13056991953_48c1eb1cc8_c.jpg

13057175184_874b29f626_c.jpg

13057173614_2c24b82ed6_c.jpg

13056858045_02261f049f_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Figured out the problem. Using Firefox i open the pic and 2 finger tap it and "Copy Image Location" and then paste in this URL image link. Had forgotten that.

Great Pics Phil, thanks.

Brim Brothers Zone PM due out in August 2014. Just got a pre-order review email. I'm number 1527. Price and specs will be published nearer the launch date. Will need to switch to Speedplay pedals.

It's interesting that the Brim Brothers survey accompanying that e-mail asks whether you are willing to switch to Speedplay if you don't use them already. I think they may have asked the same question in a previous survey but I can't remember for sure. I wonder if they are just gauging the numbers of potential customers that they'll lose if they stick with a Speedplay-only solution, or whether they are considering a solution for something other than Speedplay as well, or indeed instead. I guess that time will tell, but it's certainly good to have a(nother) release date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭Ryath

Was all set to buy the power2max typeS but I'm thinking now I'm going to hold out and spend the money on wheels. There is so many hitting the market now they have to start dropping in price. One of the existing players must have recovered their development cost's at this stage and can afford to start undercutting the others.

Saris already dropped the price on their Powertap in recent months, so I’d not expect their prices to get any lower in the short term. I’m not sure how much impact that has really made to the retail prices mind you, last time I saw a price for an SL+ on Wiggle for example I think it was still an eye-watering 1,000euro or so. If I remember rightly it was the G3 that dropped in price, but I would have expected older stock like the SL+ to have dropped too since Saris seem keen to emphasis that the G3 is their most appealing product these days - in fact, I thought that wider ranging price drop was actually happening as I bought my SL+ from Wiggle for about half its current price last year, but it now looks like that really was the genuinely good offer it claimed to be at the time rather than a pricing trend.

And while I haven’t kept track of whether Saris’s competitors lowered their price in response, I get the impression they didn’t. The fact that there are a growing number of options in the power meter market should also, I’d have thought, have led to more competitive pricing but again I don’t get the impression that’s really happening as yet either. Perhaps lower prices are imminent, I’d certainly like to think so, but I’m sceptical.

If I was still looking for a power meter, I think I’d hold out to see what the Brim Brothers come out with, but at the same time I’d be wary of buying an early edition (unless the price was good enough to tempt me). If they get it right then it could win the popularity war for its convenience first and foremost and other manufacturers might then find themselves under much greater pressure to lower their prices to win/retain customers. I can’t believe the Brim Brothers will instantly convert everyone, not everyone will be willing to switch to Speedplay for one thing, but the “simplicity” and convenience of having the power meter built into your shoes should solve the main portability issue that afflicts every other current power meter to one degree or another.

I must be hanging around here too long these are starting to look like not bad value.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/powertap-g3-46mm-full-carbon-clincher-wheelset/
    Appear to be the same rim as Reynolds 46 clincher's that are €300 more. The reynolds use DT swiss hubs though so would be expensive enough hubs.

In comparison wheelsmith.co.uk build the G3 hub on gigantex carbon rims for just over €1500 weigh 70grams more.
    http://www.wheelsmith.co.uk/race50-c23

Mmm kill two birds with one stone bling deep sections and power. I'd be very limited in training on them though be afraid of taking them out in the wet for fear of damaging them and crap braking.
    Might suit Lenny who's looking for a seond powertap.

These Powertap G3 wheels appear to be the same as the ones Wiggle are selling, but with different labels, for around €1,635. According to the website, shipping is free too.

Mind you, if choosing between those and the Wheelsmith ones I think I'd lean towards Wheelsmith for the arguably better spokes and what I'd expect to be a better quality of build too.

Was going to post them aright had found them later. Think they're a different rim. It gives a different rim width and an old review I found say's that those rims are made by Enve where as the one on wiggle are made by Reynolds.

At the lower price I'd go for the wheelsmith as well. I'm wondering are the dearer carbon rims much better for braking. It's one thing that's putting me of full carbon wheels and thinking of mavics with Exalith brake tracks. I have no experience with carbon rims though bar borrowing a pair of carbon tubs for short TT in Charleville last year.

• Advertisement

The rims on the latter wheels are Reynolds too, according to the info on the page. It doesn't guarantee that they are identical to the rims on the Wiggle wheels mind you, they could be different generations of rim, though the weights are identical for both sets of wheels too. If they were made by Enve though, that might make them even more appealing, I've read some great stuff about Enve rims (mostly anecdotal stuff though, some of which probably needs to be taken with a large pinch of salt - several reviews talked of recent Enve rims being amazing in crosswinds, as immune to them as traditional shallow rims, people riding Enve wheels once and instantly buying a set to replace their Zipps, etc.), but they have a price tag to match usually.

I've never ridden carbon rims but I recall reading that Reynolds use some kind of treatment/finish on their rim brake surfaces to reduce heat buildup and they (unsurprisingly) claim great things about it. Whether that treatment is used on the rims on either of those wheels above though is another matter of course.

Advertisement