Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Meter Brands

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭Ryath

http://www.wired.com/reviews/2012/06/powertap-g3-wheelset/

This was the review that said they were made by Enve they don't have the Toroidal profile of the normal Enves though. They have the same decals as the one's you posted didn't spot they were made by reynolds. No info on rim size so hard to know if they're the same. For saving €300 I think I could live with those decals. Wonder if they're removable.

My plan for the new wheels was just for on the new race bike and try and save it for the dry days. No point having a power meter if I can't train on it year round. Would be a bit odd using deep sections on the turbo trainer as well. Guess that's why I had chosen the crankbased power2max.

Not really worried about the heat build up descending of The Wolftrap ain't exactly Alpe d'huez. Don't exactly use my brake's much descending either:D

Really just worried about how they perform in the wet even in the dry they're meant to a long way of alloy rims. For people who use carbon rims how bad are they in the wet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭Ryath

doozerie wrote: »
    but the “simplicity” and convenience of having the power meter built into your shoes should solve the main portability issue that afflicts every other current power meter to one degree or another.

What if the shoe colour doesn't match the bike?:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Stages must be real popular. Just been told my order has been pushed out until the end of June!

Will be cancelling my order. Might just leave it at that as I dont think there is anything else out there unless any one knows of a sub 800 crank based system or a power tab suitable for a zonda rear wheel?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

godtabh wrote: »
    Stages must be real popular. Just been told my order has been pushed out until the end of June!

Will be cancelling my order. Might just leave it at that as I dont think there is anything else out there unless any one knows of a sub 800 crank based system or a power tab suitable for a zonda rear wheel?

Which model were you ordering and from where?

I was thinking of going for one for Ultegra 6800. Hoping I'd get it in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Ryath wrote: »
    What if the shoe colour doesn't match the bike?:D

Buy a new bike to match your shoes, of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

My Stages Ultegra 6800 Power Meter arrived this week, I have to say it does just the job, very impressed so far, no fuss, no messing, calibrate once a week, analyse the numbers. I got someone to order it for me in the US, so it came in at just under 600 euro delivered. Once I get the Shimano Crank tool, it will be easy enough to swap between bikes, 5 mins work tops.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I gave up waiting on my order. Will be in the us in Octobre. May consider buying one then

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭damo80

I got an Ultegra Stages this time last year from Cookstown Cycles in Tyrone. Delivered to Republic. Can't fault them or the meter. Ease of use is unbelivable

damo80 wrote: »
    I got an Ultegra Stages this time last year from Cookstown Cycles in Tyrone. Delivered to Republic. Can't fault them or the meter. Ease of use is unbelivable

Did you have any issues with the battery and water ingress? I heard earlier versions had issues with this and with the irish water I am sure this is a place that had a few failures?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭damo80

Did you have any issues with the battery and water ingress? I heard earlier versions had issues with this and with the irish water I am sure this is a place that had a few failures?

I had an issue at the very start with the meter not activating, but Stages replaced the whole meter within a week. Never had issue with water (touch wood)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

I got one shortly after launch, it died after approx 6 weeks so Stages replaced it, the replacement worked fine for a while but then developed the battery drain issue, basically using a battery a day. It also seems to die in wet weather, so I have both issues. I've had a support ticket open with Stages in the States since last Monday, after receiving no reply to a mail to their European support.

When it works it's a fine bit of kit, I was initially impressed with Stages when the first one had to be replaced, this time around they seem to be dragging their feet, I'll be buying a new bike this summer and was going to buy a new Stages unit for it, I'm definitely considering other power meter options now though....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Stages seem to be the flavour of the day at the moment. The last 3 cyclists I know who bought PM's all bought a Stage.

Personally I'm glad though I got a power2max. So far ultra reliable... touch wood. Have to say I've always had a lot of respect for German engineering.

Stages seem to be the flavour of the day at the moment. The last 3 cyclists I know who bought PM's all bought a Stage.

Personally I'm glad though I got a power2max. So far ultra reliable... touch wood. Have to say I've always had a lot of respect for German engineering.

Ease of moving between bikes is probably the main benefit of a Stages over a Power2Max, the known reliability of Power2max is the main benefit of it over the new Stages, both give good, reliable, consistent measurements.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Smalltom

Inquitus wrote: »
    Ease of moving between bikes is probably the main benefit of a Stages over a Power2Max, the known reliability of Power2max is the main benefit of it over the new Stages, both give good, reliable, consistent measurements.

I have a P2M and cannot complain after putting it through the winter. In relation to switching it over-about 3minutes I guesstimate and then switch over the bikes on the garmin profile. How long to switch stages over?

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mirv

I can't see how switching between bikes is any easier with a power2max over a stages - after all, taking the LHS crank off is the most 'difficult' part of the process, and you only need to tap the axle and RHS crank out to remove the other side.

However I can see how it would be easier to swap between standard/compact/triple/mtb/fixed chainsets with a single LHS stages arm if you ran the same brand of chainset but different chainring configs.

mirv wrote: »
    I can't see how switching between bikes is any easier with a power2max over a stages - after all, taking the LHS crank off is the most 'difficult' part of the process, and you only need to tap the axle and RHS crank out to remove the other side.

However I can see how it would be easier to swap between standard/compact/triple/mtb/fixed chainsets with a single LHS stages arm if you ran the same brand of chainset but different chainring configs.

Aye I have one compact and one std double, so for me that wouldn't be viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Aye I have one compact and one std double, so for me that wouldn't be viable.

I was the same but switched from compact position to standard on winter bike so that I could always use the P2M.

Changeover time for me is about 5 mins at a leisurely pace and that includes getting out/putting away the tools. Thankfully there is no recalibration with P2M after switching it to another bike

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

stages look attractive alright if they have a crank available for your bike! :)

Im looking at another powertap. I like being able to move from one bike to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

lennymc wrote: »
    stages look attractive alright if they have a crank available for your bike! :).

I'm missing something with the stages I think. 700 quid and you get half a crankset?
    Must be close to 1k to buy for a new bike. That's more expensive than powertap and marginally cheaper than p2m?

lennymc wrote: »
    stages look attractive alright if they have a crank available for your bike! :)

Im looking at another powertap. I like being able to move from one bike to another.

Do you have one for your "good wheels" and "training wheels" ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Gonna get stages for my aeroroad , anyone bought one recently and if so where ya get it from ?

Id like to buy from Ireland / UK incase it breaks , but it seems the USA price is 100eur cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Do you have one for your "good wheels" and "training wheels" ?

just seeing this now -no. Only have one at the moment, built into a mavic open pro. Does the job perfectly. Race, train, commute etc with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

Just an update on my issues with Stages for anyone thinking of buying, I never got a reply from the mail I sent their European support, so I got onto the US support through their website, it did take a few days but they got back to me (and in fairness apologised for the delay and said they're having issues with support but are taking steps to improve things), asked me for a photo of the unit and once I sent that they got straight back to say they'll send a new unit and will be in touch to arrange collection of the old one. Granted I've now had 2 units returned but I can't fault their after sales support, and they do seem to have sorted the battery drain/ water leak issues with newer models.

From what I have read battery drain was sorted using an elastic band to form a better seal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Interesting new InfoCrank power meter from Verve Cycling. Cost is US$1,750 including a head unit, some of the features include: measures torque from each leg, calibrated once for its lifetime barring damage during a *bad* (they claim) crash, claimed to be very accurate, long-lasting user-replaceable batteries, waterproof, compensates for ambient temperature, built-in cadence sensor, ANT+ compatible. And it looks like the Praxis chainrings it comes fitted with are compatible with Shimano, SRAM, and Campag, both 10sp and 11sp in each case.

They also suggest the potential for interesting functionality for the future, based on being able to make better use of the data the device can measure but which can’t currently be transmitted due to what they describe as limitations in the ANT+ protocol.

doozerie wrote: »
    Interesting new InfoCrank power meter from Verve Cycling. Cost is US$1,750 including a head unit, some of the features include: measures torque from each leg, calibrated once for its lifetime barring damage during a *bad* (they claim) crash, claimed to be very accurate, long-lasting user-replaceable batteries, waterproof, compensates for ambient temperature, built-in cadence sensor, ANT+ compatible. And it looks like the Praxis chainrings it comes fitted with are compatible with Shimano, SRAM, and Campag, both 10sp and 11sp in each case.

They also suggest the potential for interesting functionality for the future, based on being able to make better use of the data the device can measure but which can’t currently be transmitted due to what they describe as limitations in the ANT+ protocol.

Very surprised at the omission of Bluetooth LE, Ant+ days are numbered.

Very surprised at the omission of Bluetooth LE, Ant+ days are numbered.

Bluetooth smart devices are the future. Stages dual broadcasting I think is good but most devices in the future as the amount of data that can be transmitted will be fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

dario28 wrote: »
    Gonna get stages for my aeroroad , anyone bought one recently and if so where ya get it from ?

Id like to buy from Ireland / UK incase it breaks , but it seems the USA price is 100eur cheaper

Got mine from Rutland Cycles in th eUK. Only place that I could find with the Ultegra 6800 crank.

Great service, had it within a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jiffybag

richieg wrote: »
    Got mine from Rutland Cycles in th eUK. Only place that I could find with the Ultegra 6800 crank.

Great service, had it within a week.

The guys in Cookstown Cycles in Tyrone have got good stock of the Ultegra and 105 models . Two mates of mine have got Stages from them .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭GLC

jiffybag wrote: »
    The guys in Cookstown Cycles in Tyrone have got good stock of the Ultegra and 105 models . Two mates of mine have got Stages from them .

Was this recently, last time I enquired they told me they wouldn't have stock of the Ultegra model until August sometime.

Advertisement