Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Meter Brands

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jiffybag

GLC wrote: »
    Was this recently, last time I enquired they told me they wouldn't have stock of the Ultegra model until August sometime.

Last week , they claimed to have good stock levels . Could be worth checking back with them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭martin.mcevoy

Has anyone any experience of Garmin Vector pedals, or does their quite prohibitive price rule them out of consideration?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Smalltom

Has anyone any experience of Garmin Vector pedals, or does their quite prohibitive price rule them out of consideration?

Two people I cycle have them and are a bit meh about them. The torquing of them has to be spot on when changing them from bike to bike or they won't give accurate readings. One of them was complaining of a lot of 'spiking' in power levels during the wet winter weather. Beastly is a good man to quiz on the vectors iirc. In saying all that they're light and look neat and give true L/R power. I ended up buying a P2M and am happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Looks like the Zone from brim Brothers is ready for testing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Looks like the Zone from brim Brothers is ready for testing.

yeah saw that. I think its all about the price point for them

• Advertisement

ya can't wait to see what they price it at.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I dont expect them to be cheap but as a small start up they shouldn't have the overheads of the likes of Garmin or PowerTap and should be able to recover the R&D costs quicker than those boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

godtabh wrote: »
    yeah saw that. I think its all about the price point for them

And actually work.................

tunney wrote: »
    And actually work.................

DC Rainmaker had a prototype a while back. He seems positive about them. The Giro pink version they posted a picture about looks sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

DC Rainmaker had a prototype a while back. He seems positive about them. The Giro pink version they posted a picture about looks sweet.

He can put a positive spin on most things :)

Plus he did an initial impression not a review.

Show me a power file for the cleats for a ride and then show me the SRM file for the same ride.

Now show me files under a range of scenarios, climbing, sprinting, constant variations in power.

Then after that we know they work, until then.........

Be great if they do work, would be epic to get power cycling to work and not have to worry about someone nicking your expensive PM and bike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭fortis

I can +1 on the power2max. Have it 2 years, zero problems in all kinds of sh** weather

1 battery change so far with more or less 10 hours a week use

fortis wrote: »
    I can +1 on the power2max. Have it 2 years, zero problems in all kinds of sh** weather

1 battery change so far with more or less 10 hours a week use

How many bikes do you use it on?

How many bikes do you use it on?

Switching is a 5 minute job (not even tbh once you have done it a few times), two Allen keys are all that are needed

Obviously u need to have the same bottom bracket type on both bikes. Or bb adapters.

Stages are getting a lot of hype because of the "Sky" connection but there are inherent compromises in the design I think to keep them to a price point that isn't that much cheaper than p2max anyway. And sky are not going to publicise on reliability. For that forums like this are your best bet

When I bought 2 years ago, vector, stages, pioneer, brim...none of those were available. Would I buy p2max again now that they are? Yes. Definitely. It has been faultless and ridiculously easy to use

Switching is a 5 minute job (not even tbh once you have done it a few times), two Allen keys are all that are needed

Obviously u need to have the same bottom bracket type on both bikes. Or bb adapters.

Stages are getting a lot of hype because of the "Sky" connection but there are inherent compromises in the design I think to keep them to a price point that isn't that much cheaper than p2max anyway. And sky are not going to publicise on reliability. For that forums like this are your best bet

When I bought 2 years ago, vector, stages, pioneer, brim...none of those were available. Would I buy p2max again now that they are? Yes. Definitely. It has been faultless and ridiculously easy to use

With no issues on year round use?

With no issues on year round use?

Nope. Zero

BTW I don't work for them or anything like that (they only sell direct anyway) ! Just appreciate a good product, well made and does what it is supposed to do

I bought mine on recommendation of a friend of mine and he loves it also

BTW I have the original one, the type s is out now but it seems to be the same thing essentially, just more aesthetically pleasing and marginally lighter. But slightly more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Been using mine 25-35 hours a month since the middle of last October and like Fortis switching between 2 bikes.

Not a single problem, battery still going fine.

For the lads using the power2max what set up do you have? Did you just buy the sensor?

Was in touch with Power2Max to see what options would be available to me an are suggesting I need to buy Rotor 3D/p2m Type S, because the Rotor 3D crank is compatible with my SH-bb. That puts the price a good bit more than say the Stages

Did you not get the Stages 105?

Did you not get the Stages 105?

it was taking so long to come in that I cancelled my order. May still go back to it. I do a lot of research before making a decision so this process is on going!

They're some price here. If I knew someone in The States it would be handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Smalltom

For the lads using the power2max what set up do you have? Did you just buy the sensor?

Was in touch with Power2Max to see what options would be available to me an are suggesting I need to buy Rotor 3D/p2m Type S, because the Rotor 3D crank is compatible with my SH-bb. That puts the price a good bit more than say the Stages

I have three different bikes I use the P2M on-winter/training, race and TT bike, all different makes. I mailed P2M and they told me that the three bikes were compatible with the Rotor 3D chainset but I had to change the bb on one of the bikes. It's a 24mm spindle so basically a sram gpx type bb setup and I have a basic fsa chainset I stick on the bikes when I move PM to keep chain off frame etc. Hope this helps. Think around €950 not including chainrings, which I had. All I've done since last October is chsnge the battery once and that was with around 50ish hours a month use give or take. Hope this helps.

They're some price here. If I knew someone in The States it would be handy.

I have a brother in law there. Heading there in october. Any recommendations?

Rotor 3D purchased with the PM. Unfortunately Shimano are one of the few cranksets types that don't have a removable spider (which is why you often see SRM powermeters often using older 7800 arms)

3D+ is for BB30

The price they sell the Rotor crank for is very competitive, I couldn't find it cheaper elsewhere at the time. It does as you say though add to the overall price.

Rotor 3D purchased with the PM. Unfortunately Shimano are one of the few cranksets types that don't have a removable spider (which is why you often see SRM powermeters often using older 7800 arms)

3D+ is for BB30

The price they sell the Rotor crank for is very competitive, I couldn't find it cheaper elsewhere at the time. It does as you say though add to the overall price.

Has me leaning towards the stages again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

I didn't have any cranks to fit onto the spider so got the Rotor 3D, 960 euro including postage. All 3 of my bikes were set up for a 24mm spindle so all was good there. Just needed to move chainrings on to it and switch the front derailleur from compact to standard position on 2 of the bikes and then good to go.

Has me leaning towards the stages again

Ya, making a choice boils down to many factors I guess.

Maybe best to list them in order and then tick what you will/won't compromise on

For me reliability was probably the biggest issue followed by price. Which is why I would still go p2max if I were buying again. Stages seem ok, but I think they have a little work to do on the reliability side. A season of Sky thrashing them and the feedback that gives will probably help! I'm sure they will nail most of the problems soon.

The powermeter market is getting more crowded by the day. Which is great. Soon they will be a couple hundred euros max and available to the masses. But that could take a few more years. So if you want one now you have to make a choice and pay a bit more!

Here is another soon to be release pedal system which looks more "integrated" than vector

http://road.cc/content/news/112697-updated-taipei-cycle-xpedo-launch-power-meter

Tho I would presume that the next iteration of Vector will dispense with the pods and integrate the battery and transmitter into the pedal body

At this stage it will come down to price. I see wiggle have a few power tab hubs but I'd rather not go down the wheel route as my wheels are relatively new but not powertab compatible

• Registered Users Posts: 32 hutchy_belfast

At this stage it will come down to price. I see wiggle have a few power tab hubs but I'd rather not go down the wheel route as my wheels are relatively new but not powertab compatible

I have a brand new sealed in the box stages for sale if 172.5mm suits your crank length. See the classifieds if interested.

I have a brand new sealed in the box stages for sale if 172.5mm suits your crank length. See the classifieds if interested.

Saw that. If it was available in a month or so probably be all over it. Just don't have the cash at this moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 hutchy_belfast

Well give me a shout when you have it gathered up, who knows!

Advertisement