Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Meter Brands

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Statler wrote: »
    . If I was buying again I'd probably get it in the UK, less hassle in the long run...

there had been issues affecting a number of users, good news is they seem to have been resolved, this may have been your issue and buying in the uk might not have avoided it but as you say would have left you with easier service. been watching these for a while now and if i was getting one would likely go uk based as well for the service reasons
    (apologies for posting a link to another forum but here is the issue)
    http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=93866&start=75

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

I've been keeping an eye on stages for the last while too, I could probably get two stages powermeters for the price of 1 quarq but am going to wait a while to let them sort out any teething issues, like the problem with the batteries draining after a spin.

For people looking at buying in UK, Cyclesuperstore are now stocking them, seem to only have shimano in stock but everywhere seems to be short on SRAM,

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/showsearchresults.asp?idCategory=282

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

joey100 wrote: »
    I've been keeping an eye on stages for the last while too, I could probably get two stages powermeters for the price of 1 quarq but am going to wait a while to let them sort out any teething issues, like the problem with the batteries draining after a spin.

For people looking at buying in UK, Cyclesuperstore are now stocking them, seem to only have shimano in stock but everywhere seems to be short on SRAM,

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/showsearchresults.asp?idCategory=282

Was looking a few months ago, this is the first link I've seen where you can actually drop one into a basket, other links provided had a promise of them coming.

They are meant to be cheap but the cheapest on this link is 839. When you consider that you can get a power2max for 858 including postage, 839 is not cheap...

I've seen cheaper prices advertised on their own site but can anybody actually provide a link to a UK/IRL shop where you can buy one now for these cheaper prices ?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭goose06

Was looking a few months ago, this is the first link I've seen where you can actually drop one into a basket, other links provided had a promise of them coming.

They are meant to be cheap but the cheapest on this link is 839. When you consider that you can get a power2max for 858 including postage, 839 is not cheap...

I've seen cheaper prices advertised on their own site but can anybody actually provide a link to a UK/IRL shop where you can buy one now for these cheaper prices ?

You get 10% off if you register on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭barleyman

Have recently purchased these, seems to be a garmin special in OZ @ the moment so if you know anybody coming home!!

http://www.wildfiresports.com.au/catalogsearch/result/?q=vector
    http://www.pmcycles.com.au/garmin_vector_power_pedal_kit_bundle

Vector Pedals + Garmin Edge 510 €941 delivered

but on reading Beastys observations on the vectors i'm now a bit disappointed I didn't go down the power2max route. The only reason i didn't was i didn't want to wait for the type S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

godtabh wrote: »
    Where did you buy yours and what price was it?

Got it from www.fitwerx.com, found them on the DC Rainmaker discussion about the Stages, at the time they seemed to be the only ones openly ofering to ship to Europe. Worked out at approx €700, delivery was €50 if I remember but then the customs and VAT charges kick in so all in it wasn't far off €900. Good deal at the time but now that I think of it you'd be better off buying this side of the pond, unless the price over there has fallen.
    mossym wrote: »
    there had been issues affecting a number of users, good news is they seem to have been resolved, this may have been your issue and buying in the uk might not have avoided it but as you say would have left you with easier service. been watching these for a while now and if i was getting one would likely go uk based as well for the service reasons
    (apologies for posting a link to another forum but here is the issue)
    http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=93866&start=75

That wasn't the issue I had but I did hear of it and in fairness to them it seems to have been sorted. My unit just wouldn't get recognised by my Garmin, or the Ipad app, initially it would communicate after a few restarts of the Garmin or taking the Stages battery out and reinstalling, but then it stopped completely. Both Fitwerx and Stages were very good in fairness to them with support, the new unit seems to be working fine.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

1525316_10152270887914873_1271785777_n.jpg

Here's Sir Brad's head unit. Clearly a rebranded garmin

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

1525316_10152270887914873_1271785777_n.jpg

Here's Sir Brad's head unit. Clearly a rebranded garmin

where is that from? is it the 810?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Just saw it posted in Facebook

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

It is the 810, I got it off facebook.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

That stem looks very long. Pleased to see his nod to the Mods;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭Ryath

Lumen wrote: »
    I've used Powertap, Quarq and P2M.

I've not used SRM, partly due to the cost and partly because you have to ship it for battery changes (or at least that was the case a couple of years ago).

The Quarq (SRAM version) is a very high quality piece of kit with which I've had no problems other than a bit of creaking. The Powertap suffered short bearing life. The P2M (BOR version) doesn't creak but was awkward to fit and therefore problematic for foreign trips.

If I was doing it again I'd look for an Campag Ultratorque thinger but AFAIK only SRM do one.

Hi guys just bumping this as I'm going to take the plunge and order a power2max. Trying to decide between all the options whether to get the old one or wait for the typeS. Have fired of an email them to them with some questions but want to ask for some advice here.

Lumen if you were buying from them again which would you go for? The Bor looks tempting as it is compatible with everything but the bottom brackets are a touch pricey. What bb do you have. Any idea if you can just replace the bearings and seals in the BSA cups or do you have to replace the lot?

Currently running sram rival with a FSA gossamer crank with BSA bottom bracket. I'm considering upgrading the groupset to Force22 or buying a Canyon ultimate AL or CF with force 22 which have BB86 bottom brackets. In the long term I will do both. Power2max say it usually is not compatible with BB86 frames using sram force cranks but the typeS is compatible with more BB86 frames? There is a few places on site where they give slightly contradictory advice on compatibility but I suppose this is muddled by the new model and will probably be clearer when it is launched

Being able to use a force crankset is the probably the best value option for me to get a power2max but I'm wondering are the rotor or Bor options better as they will give me more flexibility in the future in moving between bikes.

If the p2max is compatible with force cranks on Canyons using a BB86 bottom bracket this is may not be an issue as I will just get the two different force cranks and move the p2max spider as required.

One thing I'm not clear on though is p2max say with force22 chainring you need to mount the chain drop pin on the other side. Does it still function correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Ryath wrote: »
    Lumen if you were buying from them again which would you go for? The Bor looks tempting as it is compatible with everything but the bottom brackets are a touch pricey. What bb do you have. Any idea if you can just replace the bearings and seals in the BSA cups or do you have to replace the lot?
    I think it came with a Token BB. Totally unmarked, not even any directional arrows to prevent inept spannering.

Taking it on an off it a right faff compared to the GXP Quarq which is just one bolt. I used spoons, and one one occasion a blowtorch (I was possibly drunk).

I like chainsets which go on and off quickly, particularly for a powermeter. This is not one of those.

I think it came with a Token BB. Totally unmarked, not even any directional arrows to prevent inept spannering.

Taking it on an off it a right faff compared to the GXP Quarq which is just one bolt. I used spoons, and one one occasion a blowtorch (I was possibly drunk).

I like chainsets which go on and off quickly, particularly for a powermeter. This is not one of those.

I assume yours is a BSA68 bb. This is the one they sell on the site for bsa
    http://www.power2max.de/europe/en/Produkt/accessories/bortune-bottom-bracket-for-bsa-and-ita/#!prettyPhoto

Fairly pricey at €79 would want to get two years at least at that looks no worse than gxp bb to fit my eyes? Their press fit bb's are a good bit cheaper.
    Thought with bor you were tied to their bb as the crankset is compatible with all bb types.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I assume yours is a BSA68 bb. This is the one they sell on the site for bsa
    http://www.power2max.de/europe/en/Produkt/accessories/bortune-bottom-bracket-for-bsa-and-ita/#!prettyPhoto

Fairly pricey at €79 would want to get two years at least at that looks no worse than gxp bb to fit my eyes? Their press fit bb's are a good bit cheaper.
    Thought with bor you were tied to their bb as the crankset is compatible with all bb types.
    They've added the directional arrows now. :pac:

It's not so much a problem of fitting/removing the BB, it's fitting/removing the crankset that's awkward. Maybe it needs some sort of extractor - there were no instructions to I improvised with spoons.

That Movistar Campag job looks ace, although I'd want compact (for hilly holidays) and that isn't.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

They're producing a compact as well as a big boy crank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

I found the BB stuff very confusing and asked their support a lot of questions and sent photos with measurements before buying. I got

http://www.power2max.de/europe/en/Produkt/bestsellers/power2max-rotor-3d-road/

which fits all 3 of my bikes and I move it very quickly between my winter bike and summer bike (which I use with the turbo this time of year). Actual moving is less than 5 mins but include wiping of chainrings/chain getting toolbox/putting it away, 10 mins is more realistic. If you're crankset spindles are 24mm chances are it fits.

To take it on/off a 8mm key is needed to take on/off the cap and a 5mm key to loosen/tighten the lock bolt. That's it. I'd bet it is as quick to move between bikes as the vector is (including the vector calibration time of course).

I move it very quickly between my winter bike and summer bike (which I use with the turbo this time of year). Actual moving is less than 5 mins but include wiping of chainrings/chain getting toolbox/putting it away, 10 mins is more realistic
    My SRAM GXP Quarq can be done in 1 minute 6 seconds. :pac:

(not by me though, it takes a triathlete to time transitions of bicycle components)

My SRAM GXP Quarq can be done in 1 minute 6 seconds. :pac:

(not by me though, it takes a triathlete to time transitions of bicycle components)

Hopefully he remembers the handle bars

• Advertisement

Any one ever use Cycle Ops PowerCal or iBike newton?

I know the limitations of the Cycleops but only just came across the iBike.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

godtabh wrote: »
    Any one ever use Cycle Ops PowerCal or iBike newton?

I know the limitations of the Cycleops but only just came across the iBike.

I looked at the iBike newton the other day, it calculates power based on measuring the other variables in the equation, wind speed, gradient, speed and takes estimates of rolling resistance and I guess pedal stoke efficiency to plug the equation and work out power. Obviously this approach is only as accurate as it's measurements/estimates of the other factors and tbh after reading up on it I pretty much dismissed it personally.

Inquitus wrote: »
    I looked at the iBike newton the other day, it calculates power based on measuring the other variables in the equation, wind speed, gradient, speed and takes estimates of rolling resistance and I guess pedal stoke efficiency to plug the equation and work out power. Obviously this approach is only as accurate as it's measurements/estimates of the other factors and tbh after reading up on it I pretty much dismissed it personally.

i read one review that said it wasnt very good in the rain!

Going to bite the bullet on this and order a powermeter this week so just looking for some advice.

My preference is probably for the new Power2max Type S with Sram cranks. Works out at just under €1200 for crankset and bottom bracket with s900 or Force22. Using force 22 chainrings means having no chain drop pin unless I can move the pin or buy a new chain ring at another €90. If I just buy a crankset I'll get probably get the s900. I can just get 11 speed chainrings for it when I need them. I am tempted to get the force though as for €500 more I could get the complete Sram Force22 group set. Need to replace a few bits of my groupset if I'm going to race on this bike so I'll probably be spending a good bit of that anyway.

Other Power2max option is to get the older model with Rotor 3dF cranks works out at just under €1200 as well. It's tempting as it is the most versatile with different frames and bottom brackets and I do like the look of it but I prefer the look of the type s and the rotor is too pricey with this.

They are getting very close to the price of a Quarq Riken at €1300 which looks very tempting. From reading customer service and after sales with them is excellent. Using cr2032 batteries is a plus and accuracy is better. I can also get it with in a few days while I'll be waiting 3 weeks or more for Type S. I also don't like buying a brand new before it is out for a while.
    At that stage spending €1500 on a Quarq sram red huge leap isn't huge leap and will save me money in future by not having to buy extra chainrings because of srams hidden bolt orientation.

I guess it really boils down to the Power2max Type S Sram €1200 vs Quarq Riken €1300 or Sram Red €1500?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The amount of interest being shown in this thread in €1k+ systems perhaps helps explain why the prices are not dropping as quickly as people had hoped ....

(I blame the triathletes BTW - way too prepared to throw money at those extra few seconds:P)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 LemonAid

got a Sram powermeter off alimaysports.com nice 10% discount code off them and it was cheapest place I saw them even before discount code

Beasty wrote: »
    The amount of interest being shown in this thread in €1k+ systems perhaps helps explain why the prices are not dropping as quickly as people had hoped ....

(I blame the triathletes BTW - way too prepared to throw money at those extra few seconds:P)

I wanted to spend less than €1k but I've dismissed the other P2max options. Don't like the FSA crankset, the BOR cranks are nice but their bottom brackets are too expensive. The type S spider at €940 for sram is not too bad I'm going to be spending €250 or so on a new crankset and bottom bracket anyway.

If I could find a pre 2009 Sram S900 Crankset I'd be quite happy with the old P2max at €740.

Beasty wrote: »

I've put a deposit on a stages power meter last week. With a discount through work it comes in at around €630. That to my mind is a bargain. Have to wait 7 weeks but I'll get over that

Still looking into brands and came across Pioneer power meters. There is a lot of choice out there

Power2max Type S Sram €1200 vs Quarq Riken €1300 or Quarq Sram Red €1500?

Any advice guys? Beasty's comment does have me reconsidering it is a good bit of money and a bit more than I was hoping to spend. When I started looking at the power2max it looked not to bad at €740-€840 but in reality when you start adding on chain rings, bolts and bottom brackets you're really looking at €1000 minimum. I've dismissed the cheaper powermeter options and the ones I'm considering are worth the extra bit I think. I know prices will have to start falling at some point there is just to many hitting the market for it not to happen but it will be a while.

It is a most of the price of a new Canyon and I am tempted just to spend the money on a new bike but I'm hoping the powermeter is a better investment. I like having the number's when training, have been using trainerroad this winter and have found the virtual power very good. I have very little time to train this year and really need to make the most of the sessions when I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Smalltom

I have a Rotor 3d p2m since October. It's my first powermeter and I'm delighted with it. I'm actually considering buying a second one to be honest. The reason for this is simply laziness about changing over from tt bike to winter bike to race bike. In saying that, I can swap from winter to race bike in 6/7mins without rushing it. I like the look of the type s but in reality the look v price would be a factor for me.....ie-it's the cheaper option for me! I use garmin connect and training peaks with my pm and a guy is 'helping' me understand the figures. One big thing I see is the return I get on the road/turbo. Absolutely no junk miles. In saying that I have trained in my own more or less all winter bar the weekends when I hook up with a guy who operates at similar power/weight ratio as me

A mate has a sram quarq on his winter bike and says he can't put it on his race bike(I don't know why) so he's loosing the benefit of race day analysis which seemingly is where the real numbers are visible.

You definitely won't regret buying the p2m and I went for it on the advice of a guy who went from an a2 to a1 last year as well as a few guys on this forum. I've had no problems with mine to date bar hitting over 5000w doing sprint sets. Never saw anything like it since....mores the pity boo hoo. My 2c-don't stay analysing it cause you'll never buy one. I was in the same position about which pm etc and for a finish I just went with p2m and am delighted. Happy shopping.

Advertisement