Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Meter Brands

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Anyone got a list of dealers for Stages PM in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭Ryath

ericzeking wrote: »

Think cyclesuperstore are distributors for Ireland

https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/showsearchresults.asp?IDBrand=381

These are the best value for most powermeters I've found in Europe

http://www.powermeter24.com/en/products/stages-power

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I ordered one through Cyclesuperstore. 7 week lead time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭ericzeking

godtabh wrote: »
    I ordered one through Cyclesuperstore. 7 week lead time

7 weeks?? Jaysus...I suppose I'd have it for next winter!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

7 weeks?? Jaysus...I suppose I'd have it for next winter!!

its hard to get them. I think even harder for a 172.5 crank length

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I have had 3 powertaps in the last 10 years, upgraded each time until they went to wireless, things were cheap when they started upgrading, so I would upgrade to the previous version. I currently have the silver hub/carbon windows, wired version with the 2.4 HR strap. It has been flawless, and I changed the bearings a few months ago-just cos I wanted to do something.
    I was planning on rebuilding it-the rim is starting to crack where the spokes come through. I am getting a great deal from Saris on a new G3 and joule, so I'll be selling the wheel/hub and the computer and attachments in the near future. Have to say that I have ridden the crap out of all of my powertaps and never had a problem, it's easy to change from bike to bike and I use them in low priority races and you can put a wheelcover on for use in TT's.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jiffybag

godtabh wrote: »
    its hard to get them. I think even harder for a 172.5 crank length

There is a store in Tyrone , Cookstown Cycles . They are a Stages dealer . I got mine from them recently . They said they have good stock levels at the moment.
    I got a 6800 series Ultegra in 172.5

I'm getting a 12.5% discount on mine so happy to wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭maloner

I did some googling, but couldn't find a satisfactory answer.

Can you mix a 105 based stages crank with an ultegra based chainset? So, if one bike had 105 and the other had ultegra, could you get a 105 stages PM and swap it between the two?

Yeah , you can run the 105 unit on an Ultegra chainset and visa versa . They are all interchangeable .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

There is a very lightweight description of power meter options here. It's lacking in any detail but might be a useful overview for those that haven't delved into the various options yet. Being US-centric though it doesn't mention Power2Max at all, or Stages either surprisingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭denbatt

jiffybag wrote: »
    There is a store in Tyrone , Cookstown Cycles . They are a Stages dealer . I got mine from them recently . They said they have good stock levels at the moment.
    I got a 6800 series Ultegra in 172.5

Do you mind me asking what this cost? I have been looking online and can't find one.

denbatt wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking what this cost? I have been looking online and can't find one.

105 was about £550 and Ultegra 6800 was £640 Stg . Price included shipping .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

@lennymc, I replaced the non-drive side bearing (only) in my powertap (SL+ model) last night. It was very straight-forward, this video describes the process clearly. There is a caveat though, and a big one at that, in that there is apparently some risk that you'll knock the calibration out of whack - at least, so Saris claim, but there are many accounts online of people doing this themselves with no issues though.

Interestingly the bearing I removed was labelled "Ezo" which I understood to be a reasonable quality brand, so why that bearing failed in less than a year is a concern. Also I took the opportunity to check the drive-side bearing and the two bearings in the freehub too while I had easy access to them and all three felt a little rough too so they might need replacing sooner rather than later (and that will be trickier). I'm wondering whether all of the bearings were factory fitted badly, that might explain the early failure, but obviously I'm just guessing. Despite those three bearings being in a dubious state the wheel certainly spins far better with the single new bearing in it.

I used the wheel on a ride today and the power figures it reported were on a par with those I'm used to seeing so it appears that I didn't cause any problems. ...a pity really, I was hoping for a sudden increase in power figures and therefore awesomeness, I'm going to go hit it with a hammer again to encourage it to be more generous!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Nice report on Pioneers offering. http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/page/latest-news/?id=120312
    Pros - 2 strain gauges independently measuring power, pedal efficiency, light.
    Cons - price and installation method. Not zip tied on anymore. Can someone post up the link to the article with Brim Brothers that was in The Independent last week if it's available. Did an online search but couldn't find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

yeah the new pioneer offering can be got as part of selected cranksets

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/pioneer-announces-revamped-power-meter-40044/

Nice report on Pioneers offering. http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/page/latest-news/?id=120312
    Pros - 2 strain gauges independently measuring power, pedal efficiency, light.
    Cons - price and installation method. Not sure if it's still zip tied on.

major con - price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Where are these on sale out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Where are these on sale out of curiosity?
    "They will be available in mid-March."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

this thread has me wanting another power meter now.....

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

.... you can never have enough power meters lenny;)

Beasty wrote: »
    .... you can never have enough power meters lenny;)

n+1.....

lennymc wrote: »
    this thread has me wanting another power meter now.....
    I have my one for sale-very cheap entry into the power market :)

I have one already. Maybe looking at a second crank based one for permanent residence on the race bike.

What you got going?

PM sent godtabh-sorry Beasty.....

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Please do not turn this (or indeed any other thread in the main forum) into an adverts thread - we have a separate forum for that

Thanks

Beasty

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Another pedal based system on the way. No details on pricing yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

This one has been in development for a while now, they are saying mid 2014 for delivery. Be interesting to see how it works out for them and the price. An Irish company with a power meter that attaches to your cleats and shoe, even easier than a stages to change bikes on.

http://www.brimbrothers.com/

• Advertisement

joey100 wrote: »
    This one has been in development for a while now, they are saying mid 2014 for delivery. Be interesting to see how it works out for them and the price. An Irish company with a power meter that attaches to your cleats and shoe, even easier than a stages to change bikes on.

http://www.brimbrothers.com/

brimbrothers have been promising this system for quite a while now tho, havent they?

Advertisement