Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mocks 2014 ***No Requests, use the Search button! READ FIRST POST before posting!***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Flickka

HIGHER LEVEL PHYSICS DEB

(Barcode in top left hand corner on front)
    Section A
    Q.1 Exp. To Investigate the Relationship Between the Period and the Length of a Simple Pendulum.
    a) Draw a suitable graph to demonstrate the relationship between the length and period of a simple pendulum using the data in the table above.
    b) Explain how your graph demonstrates this relationship.
    c) Identify errors made by student in exp.
    d) Calculate acceleration due to gravity.

Q2. Exp. To Measure the Wavelength of Light from a Monochromatic Light Source.
    a) Explain how data above was obtained.
    b) Calculate wavelength of the monochromatic light.
    c) Find value of angle that could be measured between 3rd order fringe.
    d) Verify that 4th order fringes could not have been observed.

Q3. Exp. To Investigate the Relationship Between the Fundamental Frequency of a Stretched String with its Tension.
    a) Describe how data was obtained.
    b) Draw a graph between frequency and tension.
    c) Use graph to find mass of stretched string.

Q4. Experiment to Investigate the Variation of the Current and Potential Difference for a Number of Components.
    a) Identify the components that would have produced the graphs above.
    b) Identify which of these components obey Ohm's Law.
    c) Explain the variation of current with potential for each component as shown in the graphs.
    d) Use graph to calculate which component has greater resistance at 0.8 V.

Q5. Short Questions.
    Mechanics Calculations, Angular Velocity, Thermomentric Properties, Sound Intensity, Factors affecting capacitance of Parallel plate Capacitors, Radial/Ring Circuits, Magnetic field of a Solenoid, X-ray tubes, Radioactive decay Calculation, Truth table for an OR gate, Quark Composition of an anti-neuron.

Q6. Vectors and Scalers

Q7. Heat

Q8. Induction/Self Induction

Q9. Electron

Q10. Radioactivity/Rectifiers/Capacitors

Q11. Waves/Lenses/Light

Q12. Momentum/Light/Resistivity/Nuclear Fission
    Sorry, got bored typing everything out halfway. I have my own mocks to study for! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭MrAweesome

I'm pretty sure it was DEB
    Mozart was the long question( first and second movement, only abit on 3rd)
    She's leaving home came up and it asked about the time signature and afew other bits

Second movement in Beriloz
    Seachanges came up and asked about compositional techniques

F Minor melody writing
    B flat major Harmony writing
    <snipped request>

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Lots of requests being deleted for papers that have already been posted.
    As suggested in the first post, search the forum.
    Requests will be deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 PhillipBC

Unseen poem spoiler for HL DEB English
    Basically hes in the car with his son his son asks about why he dims the lights the dad says to help people see coming towards him, the kid says "ah yeah" and the dad sees his smile in the mirror, then he talks about how strong his son was after his grandads funeral then talks about bonding with him and the snug feel of his head in his armpit at storytime at night and then how he believes he and his grandfathers souls must have crossed paths and the grandfather said look after your father hes all yours now.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 K6Y

Examcraft <mod edit> Higher Level
    Q1. Stratified sample and cluster sample explanation
    2. Binomial Distribution/Bernoulli's Trials definition and the factors necessary
    3. The Line
    4 The Circle. Tangents and simultaneous equations
    5. Trigonometry triangle Cosine rule
    6. Construction In circle
    7. Statistics Scatter plot correlation. Analysing data
    8. Area of a windscreen and the area of a window wiper (geometry)
    9. Trigonometry 3D problem about hanging a sign up on a wall
    Since this is the only post on the thread about this exam, I can confirm it is HL examcraft. He sums it up pretty well, not much else to it except
    know all about semi-circles for the geometry question. And the circle question is quite difficult - you're given 2 points on the circle and the line that the centre is on but not the actual centre. Line question is very easy, just know your formulas and you'll be grand (I think one of them was find the 2 lines that make up an angle of tan45). It was a very waffley exam, about 3 full questions weren't even maths, just explaining stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Huell

Since people are asking what came up on DCG ill give a rough layout I DONT KNOW WHAT COMPANY IT IS but i can find out tomorrow
    Short questions:
    1.Skew lines shortest distance and true length
    2.perspective
    3.cant remember but something to do with focal points and a tangent
    4.dihedral angle and fitting a sphere into tetrahedron

Long Questions
    B:Intersection of solids
    Planes question

all i can remember sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

K6Y wrote: »
    Since this is the only post on the thread about this exam, I can confirm it is HL examcraft. He sums it up pretty well, not much else to it except
    know all about semi-circles for the geometry question. And the circle question is quite difficult - you're given 2 points on the circle and the line that the centre is on but not the actual centre. Line question is very easy, just know your formulas and you'll be grand (I think one of them was find the 2 lines that make up an angle of tan45). It was a very waffley exam, about 3 full questions weren't even maths, just explaining stuff.
    The trick for the circle q was to fill in the two points into the general circle q (remember that (-g,-h) or whatever is x,y so change the sign) and then solve simulataneously with the line eqn to find x and y :)
    Also:
    Know the empirical rule
    Definition of Bernoulli trials

• Registered Users Posts: 5 arlandria5

Does anyone know if an
    EU policy
    came up on the higher level Geography examcraft paper? I know it came up on the DEB but our teacher told us that it would be on our paper so I just want to find out whether it's on both or just the one, thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jsnm995

Is that
    perspective question on a toaster? I have a feeling that is the one we got in class to practice....

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jsnm995

Not sure what company it was but
    the letter was on spoiler:environment, school canteens, cycling, Uni.
    Thats all I can remember sorry..

<Mod edit>
    Subject?
    Level?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Examcraft HL Physics
    Q1 Thermocouple - Graph, diagram, measurements of quantities, using graph
    Q2 Specific heat capacity -Finding c, diagram, minimising heat loss, accuracy of experiment
    Q3 Snells law - Graph, using graph, description of finding r, accuracy of experiment
    Q4 - Tension in stretched wire - relationship between frequency and tension, graph, using graph, how the natural frequency was determined

Q5 - Doppler effect, threshold of hearing, dispersion of light, current & charge, critical angle, velocity and K.E, waves, energy conversions, xrays, strong nuclear force, OR gate

Q6 - Mechanics (Linear motion and Gravity and Orbits)
    Q7 - Waves (Contructive Destructive, coherent, wave nature of light)
    Q8 - SHM and Hookes law
    Q9 - Heat (Specific latent heat, convection conduction and radiation)
    Q10 - (a) Cockcroft and walton exp, quarks
    Q11 - Photoelectric effect (photocells and uses, calculation)
    Q12 - (a) Capacitance (b) Nuclear reactions (c) Sound and stationary waves (d) Coulombs law, electric field strength

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lilymaycarter1

DEBS BIOLOGY
    know photosynthesis like the back of your hand, question is super hard
    know hormones in human reproduction, be able to label the eye and know how the brain can see
    know a menstral deficiency disorder
    know circulatory and breathing system but, red blood cells aswell!
    <snip request>

• Registered Users Posts: 3 katie.7

Can anyone tell me if
    Breakeven analysis
    was on the Examcraft or DEB paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cliduffy

SPOILER ALERT!
    Short Questions:
    1. Food
    2. Nitrogen Cycle
    3. Mitosis
    4. Human Reproduction
    5. Genetic Engineering
    6. Digestion

Experiments:
    1. Effect of temperature and pH on enzymes
    2. IAA plant growth regulators
    3. Definition for metabolism and continuity of life; plant cell under microscope; yeast fermentation; DNA extraction; immobilisation of enzymes

Long Questions:
    1. Sex Linkage/DNA Synthesis
    2. Photosynthesis
    3. Ecology
    4. Circulatory/Breathing System
    5. Bacteria/Viruses/ Germination+Dormancy
    6. Human Reproduction/Eye/ Write notes on 3 of: adaptation of animal pollinated flowers, importance of water for organisms, stomata or hepatic portal vein
    and may the marking schemes be ever in your favour!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Really sorry of this seems irrelevant, but does anyone know how I can search this thread on my phone? Don't wanna be requesting stuff that's already been posted!

Just don't request anything.
    Requests for papers (posted or not) will be deleted.

Go to 'full site' on your phone to search, or use a computer.

If someone has posted a paper and you want more details, PM them and ask them to post again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Alisonwonder

Mod edit DEB Economics HL
    ECONOMICS DEB HL

I just wanted to say that I thought I was so unprepared for this exam and was freaking out last night but once I went into it today I realised I knew more than I thought I did. It really helps not knowing what's going to be on the paper! I guarantee you if I had looked up last night what was going to be on it, I wouldn't have done as well as (I think) I did (I know, that sounds like it makes no sense).

Anyway that's just something for everyone to consider! You don't need to freak out about every exam...the mocks are a great learning experience, already I've learnt so much from them!

That being said...
    Short Questions
    In the short questions there was a question on The Law of Diminishing Marginal Utility as well as the four economic assumptions of the consumer
    There was also a short question on Mixed Economy where you had to give an advantage and a disadvantage
    There was a question about the government's new policy of free GP care under 5s. You had to explain the term universal and give an advantage and a disadvantage of this new scheme
    I'm sorry but I can't remember the rest

Long questions
    There was a question on PED and the factors that influence it. I think this question also involved a question on how the government could combat obesity in Ireland.

There was a question on Supply which involved discussing factors other than price which cause a shift of the supply curve.. you were also required to draw three different supply curves (fixed supply curve, minimum price, capacity constraint). I think in this question you had to distinguish between the law of supply and the law of demand also

Law of Comparative advantage also came up as well as Terms of Trade and you were required to explain balance of payments and terms of trade. This question also involved explaining how Ireland benefits from international trade

The market structure that came up was Imperfect Competition and you had to explain a possible short term situation and long term equilibrium. You also had to give the assumptions of Imperfect Competition

Land came up and you had to be able to define land as well as give two characteristics of it. You also had to be able to define economic rent. There was a question about what firms have to consider before deciding to locate in a certain area

ECB, unemployment, canons of taxation and LDCs also came up in other questions that I didn't do so I can't fully remember!

I had the exact same paper today , more spoilers :
    The short questions ALSO included a calculation of CPI , (a whole table to fill in) Another one asked for the definition of SOCIAL COSTS and to give two examples. There was also a question asking 4 main ideas of economists (it was very specific though)

The LQ : There was a question 6 with part (c) on LDCS ( give differences between LDCS and Developed countries) And How can developed countries help the LDCS (by cancelling their debts...) GIVE 3 POINTS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 brianol95

Physics Higher Level DEB

Spoiler:
    Section A:
    Q1 Harmonic motion with a simple pendulum.
    Q2 Measure the wavelength of light from a monochromatic source.
    Q3 Investigate the relationship between the fundamental frequency f of a stretched string with its tension T.
    Q4 Investigate the variation of the current I with the p.d. V for a number of components. (There is two graphs Component A and B. A is a metallic conductor or copper sulfate solution and B is a diode. Just go over graphs, this is an easy question).

Section B:
    Q5
    (a) The volume of a bubble increases three fold (times) as it rises from the bottom of a lake to the top. What is the depth of the lake? Atmospheric pressure, density of water and acceleration due to gravity (g) are given.
    (b) Define angular velocity.
    (c) State the thermometric property on which a thermocouple is based.
    (d) If the sound intensity level at a racetrack increases from 7 dB to 19 dB when the race begins, by what factor does the sound intensity increase?
    (e) List two factors that affect the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor.
    (f) Distinguish between radial circuits and ring circuits in the home.
    (g) Sketch the magnetic field due to a current in a solenoid.
    (h) Why is a coolant needed in an X-ray tube?
    (i) Only need 8/10
    (j)...

Learn Lenz's law, specific latent heat, heat capacity, self-induction, conservation of momentum, critical angle of a substance, define resistivity, distinguish between scalar and vector quantities and go over the heat pump(diagram + explanation).

That's enough to pass, just go over heat, Induction, electric circuits, momentum and forces (mechanics), light and nuclear fission/fusion and you should be fine.

This is DEB HL so don't be asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dillbobagins

Trouble with that is I can't see spoilers on my phone if I use the full site function. Is there no other way to search on the mobile site?? Computer access is very limited right now!

If you have a touchscreen, tap the spoiler bit and it should appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 IrishManEire

Spanish Examcraft HL
    Laursfd wrote: »
    Do you remember what the opinion piece options were?
    parents need to be more vigilant of what their children do on the internet,
    that's examcraft HL

• Registered Users Posts: 3 katie.7

FRENCH HL EXAMCRAFT
    The first comprehension was about alcoholism in France, the second, well idk I didn't understand it t'was a b*tch. Then there was a sort of opinion thingy asking do you drink alcohol when you're stressed about school and what not (easier to say you do), then there was a diary entry on a history exam in school. Then there was an opinon piece on Q3 about wasting food and one on Q4 about animal cruelty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭MrAweesome

HISTORY DEBS DIVISION AND REALIGNMENT HELPP

DEB
    Hungarian uprising

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Yulkmn

katie.7 wrote: »
    FRENCH HL EXAMCRAFT
    The first comprehension was about alcoholism in France, the second, well idk I didn't understand it t'was a b*tch. Then there was a sort of opinion thingy asking do you drink alcohol when you're stressed about school and what not (easier to say you do), then there was a diary entry on a history exam in school. Then there was an opinon piece on Q3 about wasting food and one on Q4 about animal cruelty

Thanks! I heared there was something on
    politics, food wastage and environment
    is that true?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bermo96

Thanks for deleting my post guys! Anyways, to answer my own question (which didn't have an answer, hence the question) here is what is on the accounting hl deb mock:
    HL DEB ACCOUNTING
    1. SOLE TRADER
    2. DEBTORS CONTROL ACCOUNT
    3. CASH FLOW STATEMENT
    4. PUBLISHED ACCOUNTS
    5. RATIOS (DEBENTURE HOLDERS)
    6. CLUB ACCOUNTS
    7. SUSPENSE
    8. MARGINAL AND ABSORPTION COSTING
    9. PRODUCTION BUDGETING

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I see the moderators are deleting posts again... Moans.

Ideally, people would only request papers that aren't up, subjects like Phys/chem, Classical Studies etc etc. However, the same requests for English/Maths/Irish are going up again and again, and we don't think its fair for everyone to have to dig through 200 search results for "English" to find some information.

You can see 461 posts on this thread at the minute, but the actual post count with the deleted posts is 2,418. Sorry for being a "moan", but would you prefer to have 161 pages to look through rather than the current 30?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭curlyclodagh

SPANISH HL EXAMCRAFT:
    Reading Comprehension on Childhood Obesity (Journalistic Text)
    2 short comprehensions, one on littering on beaches, the other on dangerous beahviours carried out in the Summer.
    Long comprehension on Cyberbulling, essay titles were "Technology has provoked a new type of bullying" or "Parents need to monitor what their children do on the internet."
    Dialogue translation was you organising your 18th birthday with your friends, remember subjunctive for "I don't think that" and "I want to/I want that" (sentence is "I want to bring them to the Royal Palace and the Park)
    Diary entry is difficult. You're living on your own in Spain looking for work, that's really all I remember. I didn't do it.
    Note: You leave a note for your friend Lorena to tell her that her friend José called, he wants her to call him back (subjunctive), you've gone out to meet your classmates and tell her not to worry as you have money for a taxi and you'll be back early.

The paper might seem difficult at first, but don't be afraid to take some vocab from the reading comprehensions, it will help you loads!

We got the DEB Listening paper (curveball!) but I can remember hardly any of the answers to the questions, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lorentzforce

I can't locate anything that substantial on here re the German HL DEB exam:

Although I don't have the exam with me, I'll try my best to outline it based on memory, which I'll admit is hazy.
    Comprehensions:
    The first one is a narrative based on bullying, while the second is based on jobs and working conditions/rules. Revising related vocabulary is all you could do to prepare here.

Grammar:
    You are given an underlined part of a sentence and asked to state its gender/case and whether it is singular or plural.
    There is also changing from the imperfect to perfect.

Essay (100 word):
    The one I did asked about typically masculine/feminine jobs. What do you think of it? Would you work in one? Why/why not?

Letter:
    1st paragraph: Do you have a career-guidance teacher in your school? Have you made up your mind about your job choice? What do you want to do in September?

2nd paragraph: The rules for cyclists on the roads in Germany is commented on, and you have to say if it is similar in Ireland. Do you cycle often? Are there any specific rules for cyclists?

3rd paragraph: The environment, and the measures you/Ireland are taking to be environmentally friendly. Do you separate the rubbish?

4th paragraph: It deals with cantines in Irish schools, and healthy-eating.

All in all, the paper really isn't that difficult. The listening was a little fast in places, so be on the ball!

I have the English paper 2 OL Deb if anyone is interested pm me.

Post it please.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭curlyclodagh

Hi just wondering if there is any examcraft biology paper? I can only find DEB paper on the forum
    Short Qs: Food (difference between oils and fats, whats a phospholipid, minerals and reducing sugars), Mitosis (define diploid, cancer, functions of meiosis), The Brain (label diagram, function of medulla oblongata, grey matter in the spine, dorsal root), Respiration (anabolic or catabolic, location, energy output), Viruses & Immunity (vaccinations, beneficial viruses, nonliving vs living), Digestion.

Experiment Qs: Germination enzymes & Starch Agar, Germination, Product of Alcohol from Yeast, DNA isolation, scientific method

Long Qs: Ecology (waste management, pyramid of numbers, nitrogen cycle, ecosystem exp), Genetics (protein formation and sex linkage (color blindness)), The Breathing System & The Skin, Human Reproduction & Reproduction of the Flowering Plant, Enzymes/Photosynthesis/Bacteria, Plant Responses (promoters and inhibitors examples, trophisms, endocrine system in humans)/Plant Tissues (xylem vessels, water movement)/Circulatory System (portal veins, closed system, semilunar valves, coronary artery)

This is definitely examcraft, I sat this paper and the barcode was on the right-hand side :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭electric applause

Ok, I know this paper has been posted in dribs and drabs but never the full thing altogether.

Irish, Higher Level, Paper 1, Examcraft.

A - Aiste nó Alt Nuachtáin/Irise
    A. Tionchar na meán cumarsáide ar óige na hÉireann.
    B. Slán leis an gcúlú eacnamaíochta!
    C. Cultúr na gceiliúrán.
    D. Saol an déagóra sa lá atá inniu ann. (I chose this one...500-600 words, easca :))
    E. Tábhacht eagraíochtaí deonacha na tíre seo.

B - Scéal
    A. Éad.
    B. Is fearr rith maith ná drochsheasamh.

C - Díspóireacht/Óráid
    A. Scríobh an chaint a dhéanfá i ndíospóireacht scoile ar son an rúin seo leanas nó ina aghaidh:
    Ba cheart deireadh a chur le córas na bpointí.
    B. Iarradh ort píosa cainte a dhéanamh ag crinniú de Choiste na dTuismitheoirí sa scoil agatsa ar an ábhar seo a leanas:
    Mol an óige agus tiocfaidh sí. Scríobh an píosa cainte a dhéanfá ag an gcruinniú sin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

Reading comprehensions: the Gathering (last question on how it succeeded) and historical news article to do with the Rising/early 20th Century Ireland (last question on what type of piece it is).
    Poem: An Spailpín Fánach - how he is dissatisfied with life, the use of place names in the poem, how the poem affected you
    Prose: Dís - discuss two of the following: Seán as a husband, something about the treatment of women, the small but important role of the survey woman
    An Triail question (didn't read the others, sorry): Talk about two of the dramatic effects shown through/by the characters in the play (didn't quite get what this was asking - just blathered on about the court as a setting, the cross-examinations and how all the characters refuse to take the blame for Máire's death, and the use of flashbacks to develop the characters)

Hope that quells the anxiety for some - I went searching for this last night and couldn't find it anywhere! :)

Advertisement