Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mocks 2014 ***No Requests, use the Search button! READ FIRST POST before posting!***

Options
  • 11-01-2014 8:00pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This thread is for discussion of the Mocks. Please restrict all discussion of the 2014 Mocks to this thread. Other threads may be deleted or closed.

A few simple rules to ensure this thread runs as smoothly as possible:
      DO NOT POST REQUESTS - they will be deleted.

[*]NO POSTING OF MOCK PAPERS: Any posts of the actual papers will be deleted and the user posting them will be banned. This also applies to linking to scans of the papers.

[*]SPECIFY WHICH COMPANY THE PAPER IS FROM: it saves a plethora of posts going "is that DEB or ...?"

[*]LOOK BACK THROUGH THE THREAD BEFORE ASKING FOR SPOILERS: the information you want is quite likely to have been posted already, and the more times it gets repeated, the longer the thread gets and the harder it is to find anything. To search the thread, click on "Search this Thread" on the top right of the page, type in your keyword and click "Go". The easiest thing to do is put in your subject alone, without the company/paper/level, and then you should be able to figure out from the results list which one you want.

[*]USE SPOILER TAGS: If you are referring to any specific material on any Mock paper, make sure to use spoiler tags so that people who don't want to know what's on a given paper won't see.

A spoiler looks like this:
      Your text here

To use spoiler tags, highlight the text you want to spoil, and click the spoiler.gif icon.

Posting from your phone? Put in spoilers manually by typing
      What you want to say here [/spoiler]

[*]We don't encourage people to post info, and we certainly don't encourage people to read ... in fact, my personal advice to all of you would be to make the Mocks as near the experience of the real thing as possible, and go into it blind, and if that means panic, now is a better time to learn to deal with that than the day of the actual exam.

By getting hints, you're really not fooling anyone but yourself.

However, we recognise that you are all old enough to be responsible for your own actions here, and at least this system means that if people are going to post or seek for hints, they are confined to one thread and others can avoid them.

This policy has evolved in this forum over a number of years: it may not be perfect, but we have found it to be the best compromise. This thread is NOT to be used for arguing with those who choose to post or look for hints.

[*]All standard boards.ie rules apply here: no flaming, trolling, personal abuse or spamming. Please remember that txtspeak is NOT welcome on Boards. Using large font / multi-coloured text is also both unwelcome and unnecessary.

If you have an issue with a moderation decision, please PM the Mod in question. Do not argue about Mod decisions on thread.

A bit of clarification on what does and doesn't need to be in spoiler tags:

"English was dire, I ran out of time. My comparative was so rushed." = This is fine. You're not giving away any information about the specific content of the paper. No spoilers needed, post away!

"English was dire, I had no idea what to say for Kingship in Macbeth." = This is not fine. Spoilers please.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Also could people please post what company the paper is from - this does away with a lot of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

From someone who got the spoilers on one of these threads for his LC, done great in the mocks, and then done worse in the actual exam, please don't use the spoilers. Mammy will be happy now but she'll kill ya in August

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

The best advice I got for the mocks was from one of my teachers who is a senior corrector which was the mock are the mocks. The only good thing about them is seeing whether or not your timing is correct. They don't often give an accurate estimate of where you are at. Although if you fail something you probably shouldn't expect to get an A1 in June.

The mocks aren't written by sec exam writers. Often the questions are too easy or badly worded. Something that rarely happens in the leaving. Also the correctors for some of the exam company's are horrific. I got a B3 barely in my business mock and with not a lot more studying got an A2 in June and barely missed the A1.

The mocks are the mocks. If you don't do amazing don't freak out. You can still put in the effort and do well. One of my teachers got 160 points in his mocks and got 470 points in the real thing because he killed himself studying

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Memories

If anyone really wants to know, It's
      Colscaradh and Geibheann
      on Pass Irish. (Shocker...) Both Companies had the same poems on them. Hope it helps some of ye that are scraping for those few extra marks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭nailforhammer

Irish

A grind teacher told me it was
      Na Meain Soisialta and An T-idirlíon. One company was the internet and the other main one was Social media but she did say which was DEB and which was Examcraft. They're both pretty much the same
      . That's all I've been told so far anyway

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Sick of all these morality posts in this thread. Yes we know, we're only wronging ourselves by coming on here. We don't need every second post telling us to 'f.. off and get studying don't use spoilers they'll give you false confidence/no benefit'

These Pre-Leaving Cert exams are never the same as the real exam or even similar, they're poorly corrected and don't indicate anything really. I'd rather get on with my own work than sit them to be honest, but I don't have that choice.
      So if it saves us some stress and sleepless nights for another few months leave us alone. Most of us just want to get these annoying interruptions out of the way so we can properly focus on the important exams in June. If a few spoilers can help that so be it.

I agree with you that the mocks are essentially glorified christmas/summer tests and having done them last year I can tell you the following things that affect you in the real exams that cannot be simulated:
      1. The heat. It was honestly the warmest weather I have ever experienced in my life. It completely drains your energy and I can tell you the smell of sweat in the exam hall was not pleasant.
      2. The hype in newspapers before and after exams. I think there is a lot of cheap journalism around exams and it's unfair and puts extra pressure on students.
      3. This sounds quite stupid but whatever company did our mocks, they were on white paper.
      4. It also feels intimidating having someone you don't know sitting at the top of the room. Our supervisor was horrible as well. She literally grabbed my English paper 2 off me while I was still writing. While I understand you have no entitlement to extra time it was infuriating as I know other supervisors had been giving extra time.

For these reasons, the mocks bear little resemblance to the real thing.
      However the one thing that is common to both is not knowing what is coming up and the fear/stress associated with this. You are doing a slight disservice to yourself if you look up spoilers. My advice is just do your best and if you fail miserably then so what? In fact, you would be surprised how well you could actually do.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

Sick of all these morality posts in this thread. Yes we know, we're only wronging ourselves by coming on here. We don't need every second post telling us to 'f.. off and get studying don't use spoilers they'll give you false confidence/no benefit'

These Pre-Leaving Cert exams are never the same as the real exam or even similar, they're poorly corrected and don't indicate anything really. I'd rather get on with my own work than sit them to be honest, but I don't have that choice.
      So if it saves us some stress and sleepless nights for another few months leave us alone. Most of us just want to get these annoying interruptions out of the way so we can properly focus on the important exams in June. If a few spoilers can help that so be it.

Didn't intend it to be a morality post really, if some people think they will do better overall by looking up hints, then that's their decision. Someone asked for tips for the mocks, as someone who sat through the LC, a tip I would give would be to spend less time scouring boards for spoilers and more time establishing a study pattern you can take into the exams.

Are there problems with the mocks? Sure, but its still your best chance to practice for the real thing. If you are ready, then you shouldn't need to look up hints. If you aren't ready, well maybe failing a few mocks is the kick up the ass you need to get you going again.

Its a stressful time for students, especially if they don't feel prepared, but there's still plenty of time to turn things around.

Good luck to everyone sitting them this year btw, just try not to panic, and be sure to attempt everything, no marks for leaving blanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 AmazingHelper

English Paper One OL (Examcraft)
      Tips:
      #Reading Comprehension: 1. The Irish language (Colaiste Lurgan: Youtube hit). 2.Irish-Vietnamese Girl (Racism)
      #Question B: Learn how to write a letter, speech or advertisement for a magazine.
      #Composition: Write a short story about a crime being committed.

Spanish Examcraft
      legend12 wrote: »
      Any spoilers for Spanish:)

They speak so fast! It was Examcraft (barcode on the top right)
      1 Anuncio: this was on a short films festival. The films had to do with the environment, ecology and social environment (entorno social)
      2 Dialogo: This was about a singer Alejandro Sanz.
      3 Dialogo: A man talks about competing in the running of the bulls festival. He say you need to prepare yourself physically and mentally for it
      4 Descriptivo: Helping sick children come to Spain to be treated as their countries do not have sufficient health infrastructure (infrastructuras sanatarias)
      5: Descriptivo: How to protect the environment. Turn off lights and electrical appliances when not in use
      6 El Tiempo: know granizo (hailstones) despejado (clear sky) nubioso (cloudy) torments (storm) vientos débiles (light winds)
      7 Noticia: This was about a robbery. The robber was dressed as ironman he was wearing an ironman mask and he was 1.62m tall. He also had a red tracksuit on. It happened in Florida last thursday. The police are trying to track his automobile which he escaped in

That's all I remember

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Examcraft HL Art History

Staying far away from this thread in terms of personal use but just said I'd drop in that
      Da Vinci & 1 other renaissance artist
      is on the exam craft HL Art History paper.

• Advertisement

English Paper Two OL (Examcraft)
      Tips:
      Single Text: (Macbeth)
      1. a)Describe Macbeth's first encounter with the witches.
      b)What is Lady Macbeth's reaction to the Witches's prophecy?
      2.Do you think Macbeth is a good play to study for the leaving cert?
      3. Write two diary entry as Banquo after meeting the witches and after the murder of Duncan. Reference to the play!

Comparative Study:
      *Learn Theme or Relationship.

Poetry:
      PRACTICE!
      Unseen poetry:Introduction to Poetry

Irish Paper One OL (Examcraft)
      I recommend
      Ceapadoireacht: Samhradh 2013 or About your favourite singer.
      Litir: Turas Scoile

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sajida khan

Business DEB
      MrAweesome wrote: »
      Any for History or business both HL?

Hi, I got a few hints from my business teacher,
      in the debs mocks there is going to be a question on
      the European structural fund, the ratios are 1. ROI, Current Ratios, Acid Test
      Ratio, Debt/Equity

Hope that helps,
      :)

Irish Paper Two OL (Examcraft)
      Poems:
      An Geibheann
      Colscaradh
      Stories:
      An Gnathrud
      Tir na Og (Retell the story)

English Paper Two HL (Examcraft)
      Seamus Heaney will appear.

History HL (Examcraft)
      Coming soon, but I heard that
      Stalin
      might come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shank796

Anyone know any Macbeth question that might come up?

learn an essay on macbeth , lady macbeth and the minor characters and you should be fine as a question on characters always seems to come up :D

Irish Aural tape HL - DEB (Barcode left hand side). It definitely wasn't one of the most difficult you'll be fine.
      Words you need to know:
      Gaeilge Líofa
      scileanna ríomhaireachta
      Ceadúnas sealadach
      árachas na cairte
      Craobh comartas snámha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shank796

Thank you :) I wasn't sure if i should learn Banquo or Macduff but I shall now :D

and maybe a theme either if you wanted extra , kingship seems on the cards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sajida khan

Business DEB
      Thank you :) I suck at
      the Ratios
      :( Do you mean the
      different EU Policies
      ?
      no problem,:) just learn of the
      ratios of by heart and know the comments ,and no its the European structural fund , my teacher told us that its not in any school books cause its new and its relevant to todays economy, so ask your teacher what it means ,
      I also got a load of questions from my teacher that hints at what the questions are going to be about
      in the exam papers its 2012 Q5 (b), 2004 Q6 (a),2009 Q5 (b) and Q7 (a)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

A Section B question on the Examcraft Maths paper is
      on Series and it's meant to be really easy. 60 marks going for it, I think..so 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 siobhaanx

HL Irish DEB (barcode left hand side)
      Poem: Spailpín fánach, Story: Dís, Essays: Religion, Internet, Things that anger me, Music and musicians today, can't remember the last one

HL Irish DEB

The question that came up is
      dhá stíl dramaíochta a chuireann go mór le léiriú na gcarachtar

• Advertisement

HL Irish DEB
      doogybag wrote: »
      do you know what questions were on an spailpin fanach
      The spailpín isn't happy with his life, discuss
      Placenames
      How the poem affected you

HL Irish DEB
      cferry3 wrote: »
      What was the question on
      Dís
      ?
      Discuss 2 of the three headings: sean as a husband, dilemma? (cruachás) of the women in this story, the small but important role of the survey woman.

Think I'm giving far too much away haha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Sonic_u

Physics HL
      Riashin wrote: »
      Physics HL anyone?

I'm pretty sure we get exam craft, my school always seems to but I'm not 100%. Anyway one one of them
      simple harmonic and circular motion are definitely coming up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

HL accounting.

According to my teacher, these are the only questions we can do on the mock paper and he hinted at the last Q, which we havent done.
      Sole trader, marginal costing, interps, service, suspense

English Paper Two HL (Examcraft)
      Poets:
      #Dickinson
      #Yeats
      #Heaney

Comparative
      #Theme or issue
      #General Vision Viewpoint

Macbeth Question:
      #Lady Macbeth strength and weaknesses

HL Irish DEB
      FatRat wrote: »
      Hi, could you tell me what the poem in "Danta Breise" on the last page is?
      It's colmáin

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Theresee.xO

History Deb paper
      Dictatorship and democracy
      Nazi propaganda..
      Jarrow March..
      Mussolini as leader..
      developments in technology during WWII.

How do you what company supplies your mocks?

On every exam paper the front page at the top there should be a barcode.
      DEB Barcodes are on the top left.
      Examcraft are on the top right.

There is mocks.ie but they're not very common

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭RedSeven7

Our teacher gave us some hints for the experiment section as there was one topic we haven't covered yet. I'm not sure which company it is, but I don't think it's examcraft because of something another user posted.

Question one is on harmonic/circular motion and there is a sound experiment
      as well as optics and electricity

Also-
      Since harmonic/circular motion is on question one, that topic is completely
      avoidable (if there at all) in section two. Our teacher told us this because the
      other paper she could have chosen (which I think is examcraft) has a LOT of
      circular motion.

Best of luck everyone! :)

• Advertisement

Biology HL (Examcraft) *PREDICTIONS*
      I haven't done the Biology exam yet, but my biology teacher suggested that we study the following:
      Short Questions:
      #Food
      #Cell Division
      #Nervous System
      #Organs
      Long Questions:
      #Photosynthesis
      #Genetics
      #Ecology
      #Excretion
      #Sexual Reproduction (Human and Plants)
      #Enzymes
      #Bacteria/Fungi
      #Circulatory System
      #Plants (Structure and transport)
      Experiments:
      #Enzymes
      #Germination
      #DNA
      #Yeast Experiment

Chemistry HL (Examcraft)
      I know one experiment that will definitely come up.
      Estimation of iron(II) in an iron tablet using a standard solution of potassium manganate(VII)

Advertisement