Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Mid Tipperary Senior Football :

Semi Finals

Loughmore-Castleiney V JK Brackens

Moycarkey Borris V Moyne-Templetuohy .

Mid Tipperary Senior Hurling :

Round 1
    A Drom-Inch V Boherlahan Dualla

B Holycross-Ballycahill V JK Brackens

C Thurles Sarsfields V Upperchurch-Drombane

D Loughmore-Castleiney C Moycarkey Borris

The winners of games C & D qualify straight into semi finals
    The winners of games A & B play the winners of the two losers games in the Quarter Finals

Losers Group
    Loser A V Loser C
    Loser B V Loser D

Open Draw in semi finals

Mid Tipperary Under 21 A Football :

Preliminary Round

JK Brackens V Drom-Inch

Round 1

Prelim Loser V Moycarkey Borris

Holycross-Ballycahill V Loughmore-Castleiney

Preliminary Round Winner along with the two Round 1 winners qualify for the semi Finals where they will be joined by the winner of the Losers Group

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

The format for the North Hurling was decided but no draw made, its a bit on the confusing side but it will only take 6 rounds/weeks and every team is guaranteed 2 games so I guess it serves its purpose.

Round 1 - 14 teams open draw
    Round 2 - 7 winners from R1 paired against 7 loosers from R1

At this stage any team having lost both are eliminated and any team having won both are through to the QF

Round 3 - If required any teams who won one and lost one play off for a place in the QF

Round 4 - QF
    Round 5 - SF
    Round 6 - Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

who would be favs for the hurling county title.i would be far from an expert on the club hurling scene but from what i know id imagine it would be between sars, loughmore and drom and inch.thoughts anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

buggy beag wrote: »
    who would be favs for the hurling county title.i would be far from an expert on the club hurling scene but from what i know id imagine it would be between sars, loughmore and drom and inch.thoughts anyone?

Those three will be the three favs alright, Sars will be outright favs and one would imagine after the kick in the hole they got last year they will be determined to bounce back.

Nenagh, Clonoulty and Kildangan would be the three at the next level imo, all well capable of beating any of the top three, just a question of whether they can beat a few of them on the bounce.

Sars to win and Kildangan as a dark horse imo. Loughmore will struggle after their exertions last year and they have an incredibly small panel, Connolly will be a huge loss, Kennedy and Webster may retire and I've heard rumours Tom King may retire although I would fully expect him to return before the business end of the year.

• Advertisement

buggy beag wrote: »

Paddy Power has it as :

Thurles Sarsfields 6/4
    Drom/Inch 3/1
    Loughmore 11/2
    Clonoulty 8/1
    Nenagh 11/1
    Borrisileigh 14/1
    Toomevara 18/1
    Kildangan 18/1
    Templederry 20/1
    Killenaule 20/1

I think this is Conor Kenny's third game in a row for us. He transferred down from Kildare and was said to have talent and potential. Any word on him?

Not a fan of Kenny. Has potential alright but i really doubt his application and attitude if im being honest.

Good win for the Under 21`s over Mayo , missing a good few first choice players again . 1-3 from Colin O’Riordan from midfield is impressive . The Silvermines man was missing this week :D .
    Really looking forward to the start of the NFL next Sunday hopefully we can get promoted this year .

Gearoid Slattery (Cashel KC), Niall O’Sullivan (Moycarkey Borris), John Meagher (Loughmore/Castleiney) Capt, Conor O’Sullivan (Galtee Rvs), Adrian McGuire (Kilsheelan/Kilcash), Kevin Fahey (Clonmel Comms), Tom Meade (Moyne/Templetuohy), Stephen O’Brien (Ballina) 0-2 (1free), Colin O’Riordan (JK Brackens) 1-3, Liam Casey (Cahir) 0-1, John McGrath (Loughmore/Castleiney), Sean Flynn (Fr Sheehys) 0-3 ( 0-2 frees), Paul Shanahan (Upperchurch/Dtrombane) 0-1, Mark Russell (Lattin/Cullen), Dean McEnroe (JK Brackens) 1-0 .

Subs. Adrian), Shane Hassett (Drom/Inch), Josh Keane (Golden/Kilfeacle) for Dean McEnroe, Pierce Richardson (Arravale Rvs) for Adrian McGuire, Ed O’Meara (Aherlow) for Tom Meade, Jamie Moloney (Drom/Inch for Paul Shanahan .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I see Colin O Riordan got 1-3,he's a great prospect for Tipp in Football and Hurling but we could lose him to aussie rules because he has been picked for trials over in London,shame if he goes but at the same time you can't blame any lad for making a living out of his talents if he can.

tippspur wrote: »
    I see Colin O Riordan got 1-3,he's a great prospect for Tipp in Football and Hurling but we could lose him to aussie rules because he has been picked for trials over in London,shame if he goes but at the same time you can't blame any lad for making a living out of his talents if he can.

Would be worse then losing Shane Long in my opinion. I wish Colm well either way but i hope the county board can somehow support this aboslute gem of a player in any way they can. I really believe this kid is going to be an incredible talent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

My brother was digging through some old stuff in his room and came across match programmes from 2002. I had a leaf through (2002 Munster semi-final; Tipperary v. Limerick) and stopped on the primary school game (you know the games they play at half time) and came across a certain 'Niall McGrath' from Loughmore National School. 'That couldn't be right' I thought to myself and went up to put the face to the name and sure enough, there's a smiling blonde-haired young fella staring back at me, Noel McGrath as a young lad. Jump forward seven years to 2009 and he's making his debut with the senior team.

The Tipperary primary schools played the Limerick team and on that squad side-by-side were Paul Browne and Conor Allis. Both now feature regularly on the Limerick senior team.

It's remarkable how these guys went from playing in small primary school games before the resumption of the senior games and then went on to replicate their heroes and play at the highest possible level for their counties.

It leads me to wonder what other future All-Star/young hurler of the year/brilliant talent/all of the above we've seen in the last couple of years but we won't know for another while yet.

My brother was digging through some old stuff in his room and came across match programmes from 2002. I had a leaf through (2002 Munster semi-final; Tipperary v. Limerick) and stopped on the primary school game (you know the games they play at half time) and came across a certain 'Niall McGrath' from Loughmore National School. 'That couldn't be right' I thought to myself and went up to put the face to the name and sure enough, there's a smiling blonde-haired young fella staring back at me, Noel McGrath as a young lad. Jump forward seven years to 2009 and he's making his debut with the senior team.

The Tipperary primary schools played the Limerick team and on that squad side-by-side were Paul Browne and Conor Allis. Both now feature regularly on the Limerick senior team.

It's remarkable how these guys went from playing in small primary school games before the resumption of the senior games and then went on to replicate their heroes and play at the highest possible level for their counties.

It leads me to wonder what other future All-Star/young hurler of the year/brilliant talent/all of the above we've seen in the last couple of years but we won't know for another while yet.

I have that very programme myself. I think a very young Shane Long gave a match prediction on it on one of the pages :)

There does be extraordinary skill on display at the Primary games i have to say. Unbelievable technical ability for children.

I suppose the reason alot of them return down the line with the senior team is perhaps the magnitude of the occasion for them to be playing in a big stadium in front of thousands at half time (even if little notice is taken of it) that coupled with their talent it almost becomes a self fulfilling prophecy for them from that point on to go on and hurl adult level for the county.

In McGraths case he comes from practically a GAA dynasty above in Loughmore where the previous generation and perhaps further generations were steeped in the GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Paddico

I see the railway cup fixtures have been announced.
    Have the squads been announced yet?
    Hope the footballers arent buycotting it this year again

Tipp team to play Carlow tomorrow , hopefully the lads can do it this year . They put as much effort in to it as the Hurlers do , they deserve the support of every GAA fan in Tipp !

1. Paul Fitzgerald Fethard
    2. John Coghlan Moyne Templetuohy
    3. Paddy Codd Killenaule
    4. Andrew Morrissey Galtee Rovers
    5. Ger Mulhare Arravale Rovers
    6. Robbie Kiely Arravale Rovers
    7. Donagh Leahy Arravale Rovers
    8. George Hannigan Shannon Rovers
    9. Peter Acheson Moyle Rovers
    10. Brian Fox Eire Óg Annacarty
    11. Barry Grogan Aherlow
    12. Conal McCullough Clonmel Commercials
    13. Conor Sweeney Ballyporeen
    14. Michael Quinlivan Clonmel Commercials
    15. Philip Austin Borrisokane

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Good luck lads.
    5. Ger Mulhare Arravale Rovers
    6. Robbie Kiely Arravale Rovers
    7. Donagh Leahy Arravale Rovers

Seldom see that at senior inter-county level. A half back line of players from the same club should mean cohesion and chemistry is there and if they're good enough, a strong line.

Good luck lads.

Seldom see that at senior inter-county level. A half back line of players from the same club should mean cohesion and chemistry is there and if they're good enough, a strong line.

Mulhare is new to the Squad , Leahy is very strong and Robbie is dependable . Interesting that Fox has been moved to the Half Forward line , a superb footballer who would get on any Inter County Team , always looks dangerous going forward , I think this is an ideal position for him .

Carlow 1-8 Tipp 2-24 , excellent start to the league . Conor Sweeney was Man of the Match with 1-8 (2f) , rattled the cross bar in the first half and unselfishly laid the ball off to Philly Austin for his goal . Seemly we were very pacey going forward , exciting year ahead !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Tipperary impressed throughout as they claimed a comfortable 2-24 to 1-08 win over Carlow at Dr Cullen Park.

The sides were level at 0-02 apiece after five minutes following a Darragh Foley score, but the hosts lost Paul Broderick on a red card and never recovered.

Tipperary led by 0-12 to 0-04 at half-time, and although Seamus Kinsella netted a 44th minute penalty goal for Carlow to cut the gap to six points, the visitors finished strongly.

Conor Sweeney (1-08) and Philip Austin (1-01) both netted for Tipperary inside a five-minute spell at the end of the third quarter to pave the way for a 19-point win.

Great win for Tipp but not let's carried away as you can see from the above Carlow never recovered after a sending off. This time last year Tipp were complacent and as a result missed out on promotion. Having said this, it must be the first time in the history of Tipperary football where they scored 24 points in a game. Keep it up lads and maybe North and Mid fans will go to watch you and support you in Thurles. As I said already it's a mistake to play Waterford in Clonmel, it's a very long journey down from Borrisokane to Clonmel especially at this time of year. Management stand up to the county board and demand your league games be played in Thurles out of respect for our supporters, the team and and the visiting team as Thurles offers better facilities on every level. Sure I expect to get detractors from supporters of the small ball game, but these same supporters have no problem in asking for the New Stand to be opened for an inconsequential hurling game. Time now to get behind our footballers.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

If anyone can tell me if Tipp footballers ever scored 24 points in a competitive fixture I would be very interested to hear about it. Thank you but I do not expect many replies !

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

tipperary 2 30 ul 22 points great exhibition of point taking in breezy conditions and 2 great goals.ul were poor enough but alot of that was to do with tipps sharpness and closing down.buubles was lethal from the dead ball.blessed we are with cracking free takers.callanan went off injured,shame because he was having a good game.rocky had a great game again looks to be getting his confidence back and bren maher when he came on was top notch as usual and mickey cahill had a great game fine hurler he is.will the final be on in clare this year id imagine so but hope not.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Conelan

According to munster gaa website Waterford Crystal final set for Sixmilebridge at 7.30 next Fri night. Had promised my young fella we'd go but didn't realise this would be the time or location. Was never at a match in Sixmilebridge. What would the place be like for parking? I'd imagine this game would draw a fair crowd. The forecast for Fri night isn't looking good either!

Xenophile wrote: »
    Tipperary impressed throughout as they claimed a comfortable 2-24 to 1-08 win over Carlow at Dr Cullen Park.

The sides were level at 0-02 apiece after five minutes following a Darragh Foley score, but the hosts lost Paul Broderick on a red card and never recovered.

Tipperary led by 0-12 to 0-04 at half-time, and although Seamus Kinsella netted a 44th minute penalty goal for Carlow to cut the gap to six points, the visitors finished strongly.

Conor Sweeney (1-08) and Philip Austin (1-01) both netted for Tipperary inside a five-minute spell at the end of the third quarter to pave the way for a 19-point win.

Great win for Tipp but not let's carried away as you can see from the above Carlow never recovered after a sending off. This time last year Tipp were complacent and as a result missed out on promotion. Having said this, it must be the first time in the history of Tipperary football where they scored 24 points in a game. Keep it up lads and maybe North and Mid fans will go to watch you and support you in Thurles. As I said already it's a mistake to play Waterford in Clonmel, it's a very long journey down from Borrisokane to Clonmel especially at this time of year. Management stand up to the county board and demand your league games be played in Thurles out of respect for our supporters, the team and and the visiting team as Thurles offers better facilities on every level. Sure I expect to get detractors from supporters of the small ball game, but these same supporters have no problem in asking for the New Stand to be opened for an inconsequential hurling game. Time now to get behind our footballers.

I wouldn`t say we were complacent , just over doing the training , seemingly the players we doing weight training sessions before the game against Carlow and the teams they were playing in the McGrath Cup games last year . This is something Peter Creedon has acknowledged himself and they have taken a different route this year . Tipp were well in control against Carlow in the first League game last year but despite playing against 14 men in the second half they looked tired .
    Your right about the games being played in Thurles .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

Bubbles racking up some impressive scoring tallies so far this year. He's a big prospect for the hurlers in the year ahead. Seems to be a handy free taker too which is good as Callanan was a bit hit and miss.

Comordha wrote: »
    Bubbles racking up some impressive scoring tallies so far this year. He's a big prospect for the hurlers in the year ahead. Seems to be a handy free taker too which is good as Callanan was a bit hit and miss.

Bubbles was very good in the Championship last year and has that leadership and tenacity we badly need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Bubbles was very good in the Championship last year and has that leadership and tenacity we badly need.

He grew a lot last year I feel. Really nice hurler.

Does anyone know how long Saint is out for? Really disappointed for him as he has no luck with injuries

Tipperary Senior championship group stage drawn tonight.

http://tipperary.gaa.ie/tipperary-senior-hurling-championship-draws-2014/

Conelan wrote: »
    According to munster gaa website Waterford Crystal final set for Sixmilebridge at 7.30 next Fri night. Had promised my young fella we'd go but didn't realise this would be the time or location. Was never at a match in Sixmilebridge. What would the place be like for parking? I'd imagine this game would draw a fair crowd. The forecast for Fri night isn't looking good either!

Na lad was never there myself but will be heading.i was wondering the same as You about parking because ya id say should be nice crowd hope the Weather ain't to bad.tipp to win narrowly tho imo here's hoping Hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Tomorrow nights Waterford Crystal final has been moved to Gaelic Grounds. Throw in still at 7.30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Premier View

Hello guys and girls. I am new, so I will dive in here. Listening to EOS saying they were not focused on the Waterford Crystal Final, was a bit worrying.
    He said they were targeting waterford in the league game. Cant agree with him there. Surely after the last few years we would have lost that , turn it on, turn it off attitude,that we bring to games. Does he think if we go out and get murdered by Clare, we will switch it on against Waterford. Why not talk strong , send out a message, we want to win every match. Surely thats the tone to start the year, with a group of very talented, but not very focused players.Hope I am wrong.

• Advertisement

Hello guys and girls. I am new, so I will dive in here. Listening to EOS saying they were not focused on the Waterford Crystal Final, was a bit worrying.
    He said they were targeting waterford in the league game. Cant agree with him there. Surely after the last few years we would have lost that , turn it on, turn it off attitude,that we bring to games. Does he think if we go out and get murdered by Clare, we will switch it on against Waterford. Why not talk strong , send out a message, we want to win every match. Surely thats the tone to start the year, with a group of very talented, but not very focused players.Hope I am wrong.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much this time of year. Sure the 2 relegation finalists contested the All Ireland final last year . WC tournament games are glorified challenge matches. Relax and enjoy the hurling. Save the finger nails come Summertime ;)

Advertisement