Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Tbh, good enough for him.

Plenty of lads there chomping at the bit to stake a place in the team now.

Could (potentially) be a positive thing for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Great opportunity for Scully/Basquel/Reddin to dig in for starting place

Where the **** is Costello???

Keeping him back to slay Mayo again?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Hopefully no appeal. Delighted it got done quick.

Obviously there's going to be accusations of bias as to how quickly it was dealt with...

;)

Slattsy wrote: »
    Where the **** is Costello???

Keeping him back to slay Mayo again?

Did his hammer(again) Slatts hurling with Whitehall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,722 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Can Connolly now go in with the hurlers or does it apply to both codes?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

My understanding is that he can't even train with his club..

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Did his hammer(again) Slatts hurling with Whitehall

Feckin shtick fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Hope there is no appeal and that he takes his punishment. Don't think that the incident itself (if it was any other player) was all that bad. I mean, how often do we see a player running up to a ref and shouting in his face and waving their hands in his face, or taking him by the arm and trying to convince him that the decision that he just made (to award a penalty or whatever,) is a load of bollocks. The refs never seem to mind, these situations where players invade their personal space. But Dermo needs to learn the lesson the hard way - that HIS actions do have consquences. Getting the odd black card here and there, is obviously not enough to make him stop and think before he reacts in situations. Maybe sitting out the entirety of a 12 week ban will bring home to him, loud and clear, how much he is letting himself & his teammates down by his childish and immature actions. Getting older is obviously not bringing the usual maturity with it. Perhaps knowing that he has let people down (again) will?

I have very little time for the "he was provoked" or the "he doesn't get enough protection from the refs" excuses to condone his behaviour. Plenty of players come in for special treatement, yet very few of them over react the way he does. It's time for him to learn some impulse control, or suffer the consequences. And if the consequences are costing his county an All Ireland medal, so be it.

There is a lot more at stake here, than just his intercounty football career. The rest of his life is far more important. He won't always be a star Dublin footballer. He won't always have Tony Hanahoe's crack team of solicitors on speed dial, with the DCB footing the bill. What happens, 10 years from now, if someone decides to have a go at him in a pub, or on the street, or at a game? Would much rather see him enter his post football days, equipped with the life skills to handle stressful and confrontational situations in an appropriate manner, than for him to win another AI medal.

Apologies if that sounds a tad too Deepack Chopra-esque, but some things are more important than football !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,732 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Hopefully no appeal. Delighted it got done quick.

Obviously there's going to be accusations of bias as to how quickly it was dealt with...

;)

It's only a proposed ban. I think the CHC have to ratify the ban before the inevitable appeal from Dublin will happen

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Hope there is no appeal and that he takes his punishment. Don't think that the incident itself (if it was any other player) was all that bad. I mean, how often do we see a player running up to a ref and shouting in his face and waving their hands in his face, or taking him by the arm and trying to convince him that the decision that he just made (to award a penalty or whatever,) is a load of bollocks. The refs never seem to mind, these situations where players invade their personal space. But Dermo needs to learn the lesson the hard way - that HIS actions do have consquences. Getting the odd black card here and there, is obviously not enough to make him stop and think before he reacts in situations. Maybe sitting out the entirety of a 12 week ban will bring home to him, loud and clear, how much he is letting himself & his teammates down by his childish and immature actions. Getting older is obviously not bringing the usual maturity with it. Perhaps knowing that he has let people down (again) will?

I have very little time for the "he was provoked" or the "he doesn't get enough protection from the refs" excuses to condone his behaviour. Plenty of players come in for special treatement, yet very few of them over react the way he does. It's time for him to learn some impulse control, or suffer the consequences. And if the consequences are costing his county an All Ireland medal, so be it.

There is a lot more at stake here, than just his intercounty football career. The rest of his life is far more important. He won't always be a star Dublin footballer. He won't always have Tony Hanahoe's crack team of solicitors on speed dial, with the DCB footing the bill. What happens, 10 years from now, if someone decides to have a go at him in a pub, or on the street, or at a game? Would much rather see him enter his post football days, equipped with the life skills to handle stressful and confrontational situations in an appropriate manner, than for him to win another AI medal.

Apologies if that sounds a tad too Deepack Chopra-esque, but some things are more important than football !

to be honest, Connolly reminds me a lot of Paul Galvin and this situation is very reminiscent of his indiscretion with Paddy Russell. That too was in the scheme of things very minor, but got a serious ban mainly because of his history. The parallels are quite similar, advanced in their career (Galvin was in his 29th year at the time) a history of being talented but prone to reacting when provoked, AI winners and team leaders, considered being dropped due to the baggage they bring etc. Galvin went on from that to become footballer of the year the next season (although still had the fishhook incident afterwards) but in the main, he let his football do the work. Connolly has it in him to do the same, its just a matter of he he too can learn from this.

But he needs to be told to cop on. An awful lot of the social media stuff out there are in defence of him. Its only on here that I have really seen any sort of agreement from Dublin fans that he needs to cop on. If he gets people telling him he is hard done by, then he wont learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

look past connoly lads guy has a terrible attitude and very little regard for other players which is disgusting tbh...

Dublin have 3 or 4 players there looking to take that spot, he is a liability.....

gonna say this now as a Kildare man I have never been more envious of a squad of players in my time amazing group of players you have and a joy to watch.

I think you will kick it up a gear or two and lift sam again and I honestly hope you do.

but if you play us ill be screaming abuse lol

all friends after though

good luck this summer and as I said good riddance Connolly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭corny

While i agree the correct decision was reached i don't see the harm in appealing. If Keegan or Geaney were hit with a similar ban guilty or not Mayo and Kerry would take it all the way. Other than placating the anti dubs movement i don't see why we should be above that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

corny wrote: »
    While i agree the correct decision was reached i don't see the harm in appealing. If Keegan or Geaney were hit with a similar ban guilty or not Mayo and Kerry would take it all the way. Other than placating the anti dubs movement i don't see why we should be above that.
    to be fair mayo and Kerry do not have the playerbase you have to choose from. although that doesn't make it right.... you don't need him

Oh it'll be appealed I'd be nearly 100% certain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Oh it'll be appealed I'd be nearly 100% certain

I would say it won't but we'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

It will be appealed and he will get off. Connolly always gets off.

to be fair mayo and Kerry do not have the playerbase you have to choose from. although that doesn't make it right.... you don't need him

Ah we kind of do need him DARK-KNIGHT. His shenanigans seem to have blinded some to his effectiveness. Made it easy for them to magnify his faults as it were.

For me, he's one of a kind late in the game if its in the balance. I could rattle off 20+ important games where he's been the difference for us at vital times. Do you ignore that or drop him because he likes playing on the edge and getting an odd card? Nah i don't. Accept he's a headcase who won't change and do everything you can to get him on the pitch.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    I would say it won't but we'll see.

It shouldn't be but these things grow a life of their own

Ah we're dealing with misconduct involving match officials - it would send out the wrong message completely if he walks on a technicality (and neither should he)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

He got off the red card against Donegal in 2011 because it was an obvious dive by McHugh (?)!

This is different, he technically "assaulted" a match official. I be surprised if Dublin appeal it to be honest.

• Advertisement

Ah we kind of do need him DARK-KNIGHT. ...

For me, he's one of a kind late in the game if its in the balance. ........

Yeah that's the bind for me too ... case in point last years semi, had a dog of a game, missed countless chances then in the last 5 mins sets up Kev Mc and scores a point on the run off his left (a point that you'd struggle to name 2 other lads scoring)

But all told he should serve the entirety of this proposed ban imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Yeah as good as Dublin are their FF line aren't firing for a right now so they need Connolly & Kilkenny big time this season if that continues. If this had happened in the Leinster final or later it would have a been bad bad news for Dublin. The timing is the only positive

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

If dublin are still in it in 12 weeks then its the team that got there that deserves to be played.
    He is obviously a option off the bench but i feel he deserves to be dropped, hes a liability at this stage, for every brilliant thing hes capable of hes also well capable of a brainfart and leaving us down a player in a serious game.

I hope to god he cops on but i cannot see it happening unfortunately.
    Id lay blame on the GAA too connolly is a fantastic footballer who is being targeted cynically and deserves to be protected within the rules of the game. The fact is hes not and thats why he gets in situations. At the same time hes smart enough to know what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

kona wrote: »
    If dublin are still in it in 12 weeks then its the team that got there that deserves to be played.
    He is obviously a option off the bench but i feel he deserves to be dropped, hes a liability at this stage, for every brilliant thing hes capable of hes also well capable of a brainfart and leaving us down a player in a serious game.

Id lay blame on the GAA too connolly is a fantastic footballer who is being targeted cynically and deserves to be protected within the rules of the game. The fact is hes not and thats why he gets in situations. At the same time hes smart enough to know what the story is.

On the positive side of things he gets a bit of a rest.

Wasn't there talk of Connolly burn out, when Vincents were doing well etc etc

It is mad thing to say, but I think Dublin are strong enough to win an all-ireland without Connolly.
    There are a queue of lads ready to take his place.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Bonniedog wrote: »

This is different, he technically "assaulted" a match official. I be surprised if Dublin appeal it to be honest.

Am I the only one here that thinks this is all ridiculous. Did he:

A. Assault the linesman or
    B. Put his hand on the linesman's shoulder

Putting aside who it is, his reputation etc. It was nothing to me. Rules are rules, I get that but I don't think you can call it assault and say he deserves 12 weeks. I don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Another illustration of the nonsense that black card is that players like Connolly and the Gooch - and from some of our own I admit- Canavan, Mattie Forde in the past - Ciaran McManus are in open season. And nothing done about it. Ref doesn't see these things but umpires and linesmen and assistants do and are like tailors dummies mostly.

His clubman Jimmy Keaveney used to sort out these characters with a punch when he was looking at them. that softened their cough. Thugs from kips that wouldn't beat Dublin in a blue fit but had intimidated us in the past. Connolly nearly be better doing that some day and getting it out of his system.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

It is mad thing to say, but I think Dublin are strong enough to win an all-ireland without Connolly. There are a queue of lads ready to take his place.

Much as I'd like this to be true and it might very well be, but he can appear very average when Dublin are doing well but he's delivered some of his best football when the team needed it most, and not necessarily scores, just hanging onto the ball, letting things settle winning crucial ball around the middle of the field etc

Stoner wrote: »
    Much as I'd like this to be true and it might very well be, but he can appear very average when Dublin are doing well but he's delivered some of his best football when the team needed it most, and not necessarily scores, just hanging onto the ball, letting things settle winning crucial ball around the middle of the field etc

Only non sub to run the full length of the pitch and provide the option for Alan Brogan in the rain two years ago. His workrate, when he has his game face on outside of Leinster that is;), has won us many a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭Gael85

Connolly should know better at this stage. The GAA has done nothing to protect players like Connolly, Aidan O'Shea and Michael Murphy who are targeted continuously. The referees usually issue 2 yellow cards instead of punishing the instigator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Another illustration of the nonsense that black card is that players like Connolly and the Gooch - and from some of our own I admit- Canavan, Mattie Forde in the past - Ciaran McManus are in open season. And nothing done about it. Ref doesn't see these things but umpires and linesmen and assistants do and are like tailors dummies mostly.

His clubman Jimmy Keaveney used to sort out these characters with a punch when he was looking at them. that softened their cough. Thugs from kips that wouldn't beat Dublin in a blue fit but had intimidated us in the past. Connolly nearly be better doing that some day and getting it out of his system.

What ? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Yet more lashing out to get frustrations out of his system?

You're just being funny, right?

It is his constant lashing out, that has him in the mess that he - and we - are currently in.

He needs to be encouraged to channel his negative energies into other more productive outlets, not to start punching (more) people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement