Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

corny wrote:
    Just as an aside.....McCarthy has to be one of the most fluent runners i've ever seen. I don't know how he does it but his timing of hitting the mans shoulder at the exact moment he needs to is unrivalled. The chap just breezes onto every pass at full pace without ever checking stride. Its amazing.

He'd be my favourite Dublin player alright. He has the right amount of most things and can handle most physical exchanges

ROC and MDMA would have been more important players as there were so few options if they went missing.

But McCarthy tackles very well alright he's also very hard to get the ball from he's a very effective way of protecting the ball the way he holds it out from himself, it looks a little bit off sometimes but it's very effective. He draws men into him too. I'd he took it any further he'd be MDMA style carrying the ball into a tackle.

All that said he's both wasted at midfield and not a midfielder at the same time.

I think Kilkenny is a better midfielder. O'Sullivan was on the mix there too on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Stoner wrote: »
    He has a great kick on him when he's coming out of a tackle like M Murphy or MDMA it's inspiring stuff alright, when others are bunched having beaten the tackle he had a spare burst of speed in him.

Exactly my thoughts on him. They got a fierce nice draw now with the Exiles in the Qualifiers. Hopefully they march on.

I wouldn't be overly pessimistic anyway. That was a disciplined performance from a team who knew what their jobs were.

It was a good day out for a first championship outing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

2011 final was on again last night so forced myself to watch it again.

McCarthy and Philly look about 12! Was timely reminder of how long the core of this team have been on the road.

As someone else said they owe nobody anything. But jaysus would be great to win another one and take the mantle of the greatest team ever from the Princes of the Pigskin :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Bonniedog wrote: »
    2011 final was on again last night so forced myself to watch it again.

McCarthy and Philly look about 12! Was timely reminder of how long the core of this team have been on the road.

As someone else said they owe nobody anything. But jaysus would be great to win another one and take the mantle of the greatest team ever from the Princes of the Pigskin :-)

The 2003-2008 Tyrone team are gonna be fierce hard to wrestle that mantle from.

Wrestle being the operative word!

(Only jesting jayop :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Don't worry we have the Meath guy to call in to out Jayop Jayop next time around.

I've the question to lure him into a thread all worked out and all.

For what's it's worth I think that Meath team was better from the late 80's was better than them. As were the Dublin Kerry teams in the 1970's it's all relative though the conditioning of players now is the highest it has ever been.

But it's only when that lad went through their forward line last week, it was a serious team

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Ah jaysis Stoner I'm gonna have to get the dettol and disinfect the thread - have a look thru their thread and see how often they blow smoke up our holes ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Our team from the 00's was a great side but no one would argue they'd be the greatest side ever. One of the best groups of forwards playing together in my memory though.

I feel a bit bad for winding that meath buck up but it was too easy. A one line post and he'd be gone like a spinning top.

Edit :sorry I thought this was the championship thread.

Jayop wrote: »

Anyway, Tyrone Donegal conformed for clones. Supposed to be cheap tickets if you buy early but the gaa site being what it is the ticket link still isn't there.

Straight to tickets.ie Jayop

DoctaDee wrote:
    Ah jaysis Stoner I'm gonna have to get the dettol and disinfect the thread - have a look thru their thread and see how often they blow smoke up our holes

You have my blessing to edit it just you mind !

• Advertisement

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Straight to tickets.ie Jayop

Yeah seen that after I posted.

Again I digress, I was in the wrong thread altogether to be talking Ulster football tickets.

Yeah seen that after I posted.

Again I digress, I was in the wrong thread altogether to be talking Ulster football tickets.

Ah sure come round anytime .. don't be a stranger .

You have my blessing to edit it just you mind !

:D ... there's certain things that you can't openly admit to . fancying yer cousin, crying at the end of little house on the prairie and them being one of the great teams in my lifetime

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Ah sure come round anytime .. don't be a stranger .

Thankfully unlike the soccer forum here you can go into another counties thread and not have it automatically assumed you're only purpose is to wind people up.

Thankfully unlike the soccer forum here you can go into another counties thread and not have it automatically assumed you're only purpose is to wind people up.

Ah yeah fair point .. I'd also like to assume that a poster can go into another county thread without having to genuflect .. doesn't take long to weed the WUMs and it's important that there's a balance when a bit of criticism is warranted ..

I say ban jayop and his strange nordie opinions. He'll be telling us next that Canavan didn't pick the ball off the ground in 1995... jaysus.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I say ban jayop and his strange nordie opinions. He'll be telling us next that Canavan didn't pick the ball off the ground in 1995... jaysus.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Apologies if it has already been addressed, but Im wondering what Dubs are thinking on the whole Connolly debacle. Ive seen some fairly vociferous defences being offered across social media etc, claiming bias and 31v1 and all the rest of it, which got me thinking, in light of the recent criticism of Aidan O'Shea, and the belief that his getting away with whatever it was he was said to be getting away with, is the reason that mayo win nothing etc etc. Is there parallels there with the Dublin fans and Connolly?

I think it is an interesting topic, with a lot of facets to it, for example what he did wasn't what you would class as highly aggressive, but then does it set a dangerous precedent? And was Paul Galvin any more aggressive? Furthermore, it is safe to say, Connolly made the gaa look foolish last time out, and he probably never should have gotten off. Will they look to get their man this time?

One last thing I would say is I see Brolly is trying to drum up a bit of controversy by trying to engineer a loophole over on twitter. Id consider it not only completely self-serving, but actually quite inaccurate (if what he is claiming is true then no ref decision could ever be overturned by the CCCC once it has been made, which we already know is not the case), and I genuinely hope the dub fans dont let him grab the attention he so desperately craves. We all know he couldn't give a t*ss whether Connolly gets off or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Squareball

Confirmed......12 weeks it is.

Squareball wrote:
    Confirmed......12 weeks it is.

Good, that's it sorted so.

Jayop is surprised, thankfully not amazed

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/drivetimerte/status/872130576597340161

Barring a sticky quarter final draw it really won't make any significant difference.

lol, Will they appeal it though?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

lol, Will they appeal it though?

I would be baffled if they do.

Dublin will play a round 4b winner in the quarters. You'd want to be a mathematician to be able to figure out who could potentially be in that side of the draw.

PARlance wrote: »
    I would be baffled if they do.

Some slight grounds over the issue of whether the ref should have dealt with it at the time but it's weak reasoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Some slight grounds over the issue of whether the ref should have dealt with it at the time but it's weak reasoning.

It was just a play on the amazed, surprised etc.
    Can't see them appealing all the same. If we were in July then I'm sure it would, but it's fairly cut and dry.

Dublin will play a round 4b winner in the quarters. You'd want to be a mathematician to be able to figure out who could potentially be in that side of the draw.

Most likely the Ulster final loser if they win their qualifier, by my, admittedly terrible!, calculation?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Deserved as well, not much room to defend it. Hopefully, best case scenario, he takes a look at his behaviour and realises that maybe, just maybe, the problem isn't everyone else, but rather himself.

Really hope that there's no appeals as well, I actually think that this may do both him and the Dublin team a world of good.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Deserved as well, not much room to defend it. Hopefully, best case scenario, he takes a look at his behaviour and realises that maybe, just maybe, the problem isn't everyone else, but rather himself.

Really hope that there's no appeals as well, I actually think that this may do both him and the Dublin team a world of good.

He'll be 30 next month. You'd have to wonder how many years a good few of that top team have left in them. Not too many players playing for top level counties much beyond 31/32 any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

What a stupid thing to do.

Cannot see Gavin parachuting him back in

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement