Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

So with McCrabbe back in the fold who do we see as our free taker, him or Ryan?, assuming both are starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

ArielAtom wrote: »
    So with McCrabbe back in the fold who do we see as our free taker, him or Ryan?, assuming both are starters.
    I'd rather McCrabbe as he has a longer range and is normally consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Starting side for Saturday:

1. Stephen Cluxton
    2. Philly MacMahon
    3. Sean George
    4. Michael Fitzsimmons
    5. Eric Lowdnes
    6. James McCarthy
    7. Johnny Cooper
    8. Michael Darragh MaCauley
    9. Cian O'Sullivan
    10. Paul Flynn
    11. Ciaran Kilkenny
    12. Bryan Cullen
    13. Kevin McManoman
    14. Ciaran Reddin
    15. Cormac Costello

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Some interesting choices there

With Sean George back in I see Nelson is out - hopefully George keeps his cool this time around so we can get a good look at him in the rest of the league. Jonny Cooper retains the half-back position from Westmeath, is this a sign of things to come? Eric Lowndes seems to have taken the 5 from James McCarthy who moves into COS' position at 6 because he's back to midfield with MDMA, a return to 2013 and not a moment too soon as I don't think Shane Carthy was impressive in midfield at all.

Some more shuffling up front - two forwards have been dropped from the Westmeath match (O'Gara and Mannion) giving Ciaran Reddin a chance to move up, replaced by Cullen at 12 who has fallen somewhat out of favour in recent times. Cormac Costello is a strange inclusion IMO. I would have thought since Paul Hudson was the one of the only ones who brought the shooting boots last time out he would get a chance to shine in the starting line up. He was one of only 5 scorers on the day and was the top of those with 0-4(1f).

Disappointed to not see Alan Brogan there if I'm honest, his first game against Kerry showed him as having lots of rust and he could use some more game time to shake it off; nothing like the Rebels for a good test of yourself.

Looking forward to this immensely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Poor loss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭corny

Neeson wrote: »
    Poor loss

We weren't great but give credit to Cork. They posed serious questions in all sectors of the field and we didn't have the answers.

Wouldn't place great importance in this but its the first time in a while i felt a team was able to match us physically (pace and athleticism).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

corny wrote: »
    We weren't great but give credit to Cork. They posed serious questions in all sectors of the field and we didn't have the answers.

Wouldn't place great importance in this but its the first time in a while i felt a team was able to match us physically (pace and athleticism).

Impressed with cork, reminded me of us tbh. Good test, loss not necessarily a bad thing

• Subscribers Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

It was a good game and a good test, cork forwards were fast and solid and we had to reorganise to cope. It worked though and they were kept very quiet in the second half. Cooper back to full back and O'Sullivan to halfback made a big difference. Worrying a little that we struggled so badly and Mick Fitz's struggles to be wrong side of this man all day wasn't great.

Clinical free taking from them though, and some help from ref. I don't mind frees being given from 50 yards away for pulling forwards back, but you expect a bit of consistency. He gave them 3 or 4 of them and us none, even though the same fouls were happening both ends.

Having said that, we had plenty of chances in second half to finish them off , but couldn't take our chances, once they settled back to a blanket type defence we struggled with shot selection and/or silly passes.

It's at that stage you start to really miss Brogan, Connolly and Mannion.

Otherwise the midfield was well on top in second half, with James McCarthy filling in well.

All in all it was great experience and an eye opener for the new defenders and forwards that you don't always get your own way.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I thought we should have won it in the last 10 minutes, But Cork defended well and deserved it, I don't know why Costello was taken off he was the only forward we had who was capable of passing the ball, at one stage in the first half he'd scored two points set up two, won a free laid on a great goal chance he was involved in a move with Reddin he made a great move on the inside lost his man, Reddin didn't even look for the pass he just blasted it wide the young lad just held out his hands in frustration, I hope that the forwards can stop some of the selfish attitude otherwise lads like Costello will stop passing too. O'Gara played well when he came on I thought he was more powerful than all the defenders around him and it was a nice sub to make as it shook then up a bit at the back.

Then apart from O'Gara and McCaffrey I thought the guys we brought on were not great Carthy had little impact, Hudson did a bit but service was poor. I don't think our midfield won a clean ball in the first half, Walsh and Gould were better IMHO. In the second half Cullen came into it more a bit more like the role he played in the championship last year.

I thought Dublins discipline was poor, I think at one time Goulding had three if not four identical frees all expertly taken but some were silly frees to give away, MDMAs yellow was also silly, it's obvious that he was frustrated having been fouled and it going unpunished but the sliding effort on the ball was always going to end up in a yellow. Byrne was the same a possible unfair decision against a Dublin but the reaction by him frustrated or not was poor, generally I though Cork deserved every free they got.
    This is something to work on, this game really reminded me of the attitude shown by Dublin in 2012 league games

With respect to Cork I though a number of their new players were a little light but their free taking and fielding was very good. You'd need to be on your best behaviour against them later in the year, they looked stronger than Kerry and they were up to some delay tactics in the last ten minutes so they were aware of Dublin finishing strongly in games and we're lying down a bit in the last 10, they were smart they wanted to stop the momentum and they did a bit, the messing with the blood sub being an example.

All that said this was the first time in a long time that I've seen Dublin start the best team available to them. The result was a finish that from a quality point of view was just not good enough to rescue a draw or a win.
    Yesterday was a game for Bastic to come on in the second half, Rocks accuracy, we were missing a whole potential half forward line and the Brogans, I hope that we can clean up our act and that competition for places will be enough motivation for players to do it, although MDMC must feel his position is under zero threat and that's not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

A well put together post, I would echo most of your points except Cork deserving every free they got. While the discipline was poor from Dublin there were some soft frees given and some things from Cork going unpunished. I thought there should have at least been one black card for a blatant pull down but it only got a yellow :confused:

This wasn't a game I could blame the referee on winning for Cork, it was a game Dublin lost. They weren't cohesive enough, there was an incredible overlap missing late into the second half that resulted in a point but could have resulted in a goal to break Cork's back. They were out on their feet around 60 minutes having put in quite the shift against us, we should have drove on in the final minutes and put them to the sword.

It's a constant talking point, but your comment about MDMA's position being under no threat is correct and worrying. Dublin need better midfielders, Carthy is not it anyways and neither is Mahoney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Impressed with cork, reminded me of us tbh. Good test, loss not necessarily a bad thing

Great game ,and Dublin are still the team to beat.
    Lost the game,in truth lost nothing,as ye will get better,and that is good for ye,as get hunger back and avoids complacency.

Ye learned jorge isnt a full back,against kerry and us he was poor.
    Mccarthy will benfit from game time.

Ye recovered from tyrone last year,he will still make the semifinals of the league.We needed the win more than ye.

A well put together post, I would echo most of your points except Cork deserving every free they got. While the discipline was poor from Dublin there were some soft frees given and some things from Cork going unpunished. I thought there should have at least been one black card for a blatant pull down but it only got a yellow :confused:

This wasn't a game I could blame the referee on winning for Cork, it was a game Dublin lost. They weren't cohesive enough, there was an incredibly overlap missing late into the second half that resulted in a point but could have resulted in a goal to break Cork's back. They were out of their feet around 60 minutes having put in quite the shift against us, we should have drove on in the final minutes and put them to the sword.

It's a constant talking point, but your comment about MDMA's position being under no threat is correct and worrying. Dublin need better midfielders, Carthy is not it anyways and neither is Mahoney.

Dint think anyone is blaming the referee, we had more then enough chance to win and can blame only ourselves. That said we should have had a free in the lead up their goal.

This wasn't a game I could blame the referee on winning for Cork, it was a game Dublin lost. They weren't cohesive enough, there was an incredibly overlap missing late into the second half that resulted in a point but could have resulted in a goal to break Cork's back. They were out of their feet around 60 minutes having put in quite the shift against us, we should have drove on in the final minutes and put them to the sword.

I thought James McCarthy did ok there in second half and he plays there for the club. May have made himself an option.

Re the black card, for such a fussy ref he let himself down badly in my opinion on that aspect. mcmaneman was hauled back by jersey through on goal and 7 for Cork given neither a black or a yellow. Later on same player rugby tackles out wide left and after a long discussion ref gives him a yellow not a black?

Poor work. Ref must have wasted 5 or 6 minutes on his own just talking to players and discussing things with linesmen and umpires, there are about 10 subs in second half, cork waste time going down injured, hoping back up when there is a goal chance then going back down injured. and then we only get 2 added minutes?

None of it is why we lost, but it's the same poor quality reffing as we saw throughout last year across most high level games. It's not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭corny

copacetic wrote: »
    I thought James McCarthy did ok there in second half and he plays there for the club. May have made himself an option.

Re the black card, for such a fussy ref he let himself down badly in my opinion on that aspect. mcmaneman was hauled back by jersey through on goal and 7 for Cork given neither a black or a yellow. Later on same player rugby tackles out wide left and after a long discussion ref gives him a yellow not a black?

Poor work. Ref must have wasted 5 or 6 minutes on his own just talking to players and discussing things with linesmen and umpires, there are about 10 subs in second half, cork waste time going down injured, hoping back up when there is a goal chance then going back down injured. and then we only get 2 added minutes?

None of it is why we lost, but it's the same poor quality reffing as we saw throughout last year across most high level games. It's not good enough.

Just on that... the Cork player didn't even receive a warning for tugging on the jersey yet about 10 minutes later the exact same foul was committed at the other end and the Dublin player was booked! Ref was making it up as he went along; don't get me started about the linesmen.

Not the reason we lost though. We were badly beaten in midfield in the first half. To remedy that in the second half we pulled men back into the middle to win some breaking ball. We did just that but it meant reduced options up front and slower build up play as a result. Not a recipe for success when you're playing a Cork side who funnelled back well and did their homework in stopping everything through the middle. Forced us to shoot from out wide or on the 40 and we couldn't kick the scores.

Just on that... the Cork player didn't even receive a warning for tugging on the jersey yet about 10 minutes later the exact same foul was committed at the other end and the Dublin player was booked! Ref was making it up as he went along; don't get me started about the linesmen.

Not the reason we lost though. We were badly beaten in midfield in the first half. To remedy that in the second half we pulled men back into the middle to win some breaking ball. We did just that but it meant reduced options up front and slower build up play as a result. Not a recipe for success when you're playing a Cork side who funnelled back well and did their homework in stopping everything through the middle. Forced us to shoot from out wide or on the 40 and we couldn't kick the scores.

Heh, the guy on a Cusack side was hilarious. clear Dublin ball, he signals for ref to throw it up! Apart from that one appred to be just guessing. Got two wrong for dublin and one wrong for Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Well imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. and to that end you'd have to applaud the Cork performance on Saturday full of vigour and athleticism and a radical change to what we'd seen last year with their over reliance on the hoofball into Sheehan. Cork were back to their clinical best with their general point scoring and particularly the free taking which was our ultimate demise in both the 2010 AI SF and League Final.

We've a habit here of reflecting on the dominance of the opposition midfield through different stages of a game - but ultimately the Dublin midfield in whatever guise eventually get a stranglehold on a game in the latter stages. Their direct opponents are nearly always physically bigger and giving away a fair height difference but ultimately the greater agility/fitness tends to turn the tide. Goold and Walsh dominated the 1st half, but the tank ran dry for both of them - the blueprint wont change this year either - stay with them for 50 mins and impose their greater endurance late on.

Dublin weren't as dynamic as we've seen them previously .. I think Jack Mc was on the pitch over half an hour before we saw one of his lung bursters, he seemed quite content dinking 20-30 yard passes into the HF line. On the other hand Philly was offering great support running but then inexplicably putting the brakes on and taking the pace out of the attack turning back in on himself.

As others have said the kicking and shot selection was poor, strangely 2 of the biggest culprits Carthy & Reddin also scored fantastic points. I felt that the success of this years outfit was dependent on 1 or 2 new lads forcing their way into the shake up, so far I've seen little other than the emergence of Costello - and to be honest we're really quite ok in the front 6, I'd hoped that George may have forced his way into a corner back role with KOB gone for the year - Mick Fitz likewise was a bit at sea at times.

Finally was great to see the comeback of Colm O'Neill, young fella has been through the mill and I had only spoken with him last year 3 weeks before his injury when he was full of enthusiasm for the coming year.

I hope he picks up a losers medal this year ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

copacetic wrote: »

Pour quality reffing with a slight anti-Dub bias has been a problem in the GAA for decades. Dublin teams have to learn to live with it and rise above it. There is little point complaining about it.

Occasionally, the poor quality reffing falls in our favour but usually it is 9 times out of 10 for the opposition. Can't see this changing.

I agree that midfield options are a worry.

The defence has O'Carroll and Brennan to come back, the two Brogans, Mannion, Flynn, Connolly and Rock were all absent as forward options as well as O'Gara and Hudson only starting on the bench giving plenty of room for the form forwards whoever they are come the summer. However, what happens midifeld if O'Sullivan is needed in the back-line and MDM picks up an injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Have 1 Cusack Stand ticket for Kildare game if anyone wants it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭billyhead

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Have 1 Cusack Stand ticket for Kildare game if anyone wants it

I'll take it off you if you wont be using it. Is it one of those e-mails you print off i.e from tickets.ie? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

billyhead wrote: »
    I'll take it off you if you wont be using it. Is it one of those e-mails you print off i.e from tickets.ie? Cheers

Cheers pal. Yep its from tickets.ie
    PM your details

• Advertisement

From Res Dubs

Team is,
    Cluxton
    Geoge
    Philly
    Fitz Jack Mc
    James Mc
    Cooper
    MDMA
    Cian
    Flynn
    Kilkenny
    Cullen
    Kev Mc
    Reddin
    Costello

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭billyhead

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Cheers pal. Yep its from tickets.ie
    PM your details

Cheers PM send

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Godge wrote: »
    Pour quality reffing with a slight anti-Dub bias has been a problem in the GAA for decades. Dublin teams have to learn to live with it and rise above it. There is little point complaining about it.

Occasionally, the poor quality reffing falls in our favour but usually it is 9 times out of 10 for the opposition. Can't see this changing.

I agree that midfield options are a worry.

The defence has O'Carroll and Brennan to come back, the two Brogans, Mannion, Flynn, Connolly and Rock were all absent as forward options as well as O'Gara and Hudson only starting on the bench giving plenty of room for the form forwards whoever they are come the summer. However, what happens midifeld if O'Sullivan is needed in the back-line and MDM picks up an injury?

Oh ffs...what a ridiculous statement. For that to be true, all the refs over the years would have to come together and form some consensus that Dublin needed to be screwed...the reality of course is that no such thing happened, that Dublin got away with their fair share of stuff, got bad breaks same as other teams did..and not to forget occasionally benefited from the fact there were often linesmen from DUBLIN clubs for Dublin games in croke park..

Oh ffs...what a ridiculous statement. For that to be true, all the refs over the years would have to come together and form some consensus that Dublin needed to be screwed...the reality of course is that no such thing happened, that Dublin got away with their fair share of stuff, got bad breaks same as other teams did..and not to forget occasionally benefited from the fact there were often linesmen from DUBLIN clubs for Dublin games in croke park..

EVERYONE thinks their team gets screwed by referees.

We all remember what goes against us and not for us, its human nature

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

naughtb4 wrote: »
    EVERYONE thinks their team gets screwed by referees.

We all remember what goes against us and not for us, its human nature

True. Really wrecks my head though people moaning about refs when 99% of the time refs are not the winning or losing of a game either way. Some of my own brethern moaning after the 2011 final comes to mind, but lets not go there.

True. Really wrecks my head though people moaning about refs when 99% of the time refs are not the winning or losing of a game either way. Some of my own brethern moaning after the 2011 final comes to mind, but lets not go there.

I agree (though do my fair share of moaning at the game itself but afterwards the referee generally doesnt decide it (some exceptions aside of course)). For example the final you mentioned, there were almost certainly wrong decisions made throughout by both the players and the referee. We all like to think we are "competing against 16 out there"

Last week, our shot selection, and slower than normal build up (also coming up a very intense Cork team) cost us alot more than the referee. But its nice to have a moan all the same :P

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

DoctaDee wrote: »

Finally was great to see the comeback of Colm O'Neill, young fella has been through the mill and I had only spoken with him last year 3 weeks before his injury when he was full of enthusiasm for the coming year.

I hope he picks up a losers medal this year ;)

I enjoyed the match last week, particularly the first fifteen minutes. I thought the pace of that period was exceptional, although I wouldn't have been overly thrilled by some of the defending on both sides during that period.

Costello had a great first half. Reddin was wasteful on occasion but scored a couple of fine points. Our full back line needs a lot of work, and looked much more effective when Johnny Cooper went back.

Giving McCarthy a run in midfield was long overdue. He played quite well and is definitely an option. Is Bastic injured or still in hibernation. Paul Flynn has to be given a run in midfield at some stage.

I haven't seen Kevin Mac work as hard throughout a match as he did last weekend. He wasn't brilliant by any stretch of the imagination but he worked his socks off.

Finally, I have to echo DoctaDee's comment about Colm O'Neill. Fine player. Delighted for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Dublinfan

Once Again Some Players not getting a chance.... What Happens if Cluxton decides to call it a day Sean Currie needs a few games under his Belt and Would have loved to see Watson get a game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

good win tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yep, decent enough win considering who we were missing tonight....Berno, Connolly, Flynn, Mannion, Kilkenny & a rust free Alan Brogan.

Kev Mc put in a great shift and it was great to see Paddy Andrew return and not miss a beat. Still very leaky at the back though. A more clinical team could have really hurt us with those goal chances that we gave up. There was yet more bad shot selection and stupid wides from us. But am happy enough over all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement