Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

^^^ Nice pics, thanks for sharing them
    ProudDUB wrote: »
    Every away Dubs game I have been too, the lads have always been very gracious in meeting the fans afterwards. Even Jim Gavin and the back room team are happy to pose for a pix and autographs. :)

This is great to hear, long may it continue

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

keane2097 wrote: »
    This is great to hear, long may it continue

I must say I never before witnessed it, not even at last year's away games. I do completely agree though, the kids loved it and the lads were ever so nice about it - such a lovely thing to meet your GAA heroes :) I also found out that MDMA really is over 6ft tall, didn't believe it from the Cusack or Parnell Park terrace :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

It varies from ground to ground and how/where the players enter/exit the pitch. Sometimes the stewards are ok with kids running onto the pitch after the game and the players will pose for pix with them there. Sometimes the players are separated from the spectators by a wall or fence & you have to wait near the team bus or the dressing rooms and catch them as they they enter/exit. Either way, they are happy to pose away with the kids.

It varies from ground to ground and how/where the players enter/exit the pitch. Sometimes the stewards are ok with kids running onto the pitch after the game and the players will pose for pix with them. Sometimes the players are separated from the spectators by a wall or fence & you have to wait near the team bus or the dressing rooms and catch them as they they enter/exit. Either way, they are happy to pose away with the kids.

Ah, that makes sense now yeah :)

Friends of Dublin Hurling are organising a bus down to Pearse Stadium on Sunday leaving Connolly Station at 10am and the Spa Hotel on the N4 at 10:30. Tickets are €10 for adults, €5 for juveniles. Seeing as a trip in my own car would cost me €50+ in petrol & tolls I'm going to grab a spot on the bus :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Brendan McManamon acquitted of assault during a club match in 2012, on the grounds that it was self defence. Good summary of the case here:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/former-dublin-star-acquitted-of-assaulting-an-offduty-garda-during-a-football-game-29999441.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Joke

AGC wrote: »
    Joke
    12 jurors thought so.

You'd wonder how it even got to trial if the video evidence clearly showed it was self defence.

Very nasty injury suffered though. Wouldnt wish that on anyone. But if he hadnt started it, it wouldnt have happened I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Joke
    Why do you say that?

If you have followed the trial there was no video evidence of Ledwith kicking him in the balls.

I am a Dublin fan through and through but when Pillar is sitting there supporting Bren Mc over a club mate and colleague what chance did he have?

He knew he did wrong as he apologised to him after, to break a lads jaw so badly to end make him end up in hospital is not self defence. It's an attack. If he was kicked in the balls the chances of him being in a position to throw a punch of that force are quite small also.

If you have followed the trial there was no video evidence of Ledwith kicking him in the balls.

I am a Dublin fan through and through but when Pillar is sitting there supporting Bren Mc over a club mate and colleague what chance did he have?

He knew he did wrong as he apologised to him after, to break a lads jaw so badly to end make him end up in hospital is not self defence. It's an attack. If he was kicked in the balls the chances of him being in a position to throw a punch of that force are quite small also.
    For someone who claims to have followed the case so closely you haven't a clue about the detail of the case. Perhaps you would be better off keeping ill informed opinions off a public forum.

• Advertisement

For someone who claims to have followed the case so closely you haven't a clue about the detail of the case. Perhaps you would be better off keeping ill informed opinions off a public forum.

Trust me have followed it closely.

What is the ill informed opinions?

Trust me have followed it closely.

What is the ill informed opinions?
    At no stage was it claimed that anyone was kicked. Pillar did not back anyone in court. He gave an honest account of what he witnessed on the day.
    A court of law returned a not guilty verdict having heard ALL the evidence.
    You have managed to come to a judgement based on second hand accounts which you haven't even read properly.

At no stage was it claimed that anyone was kicked. Pillar did not back anyone in court. He gave an honest account of what he witnessed on the day.
    A court of law returned a not guilty verdict having heard ALL the evidence.
    You have managed to come to a judgement based on second hand accounts which you haven't even read properly.

Ha, second hand accounts. OK

Pillar admitted not seeing the incident but told him to apologise.

Here is the claim you said is false by the way:
    "As soon as he hit me, I reacted," he said. "I swung my right hand out there in defence, in self-defence as a reaction to being hit." He said he told the referee Gda Ledwith had hit him first.
    "I was in a lot of pain at that stage. He (the referee) gave me a red card and I walked off."
    He agreed with his barrister that he admitted from the start that he had hit Garda Ledwith and caused his broken jaw.
    Gda Ledwith refuted the allegation that he had kicked Mr McManamon in the testicles and said he would have hit him at chest height.
    "I wouldn't stoop so low. I've never, ever done that," he told the court.
    He said Mr McManamon punched him in the chest, and he pushed him back and told him to "F**k off".
    Gda Ledwith said that up to that point it was "handbags more than anything else", adding that Gaelic football was a "physical game" and that these things happened.
    But he said Mr McManamon then "seemed to snap" and started throwing punches at him, making contact with his face at least twice.
    "His demeanour changed, to become more pumped up or aggressive," said Gda Ledwith.
    He said blood started to pour from his mouth and he went down on his hunkers and put his hand up to his mouth and felt that his teeth had caved in.

If a player, is struck (Kick, punch or whatever) in the balls he would simply not be in a position to break someone's jaw as badly as it was broken.

Not once did Bren Mc deny the attack. His only defence was it was self defence which there is no evidence of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Ha, second hand accounts. OK

Pillar admitted not seeing the incident but told him to apologise.

Here is the claim you said is false by the way:

If a player, is struck (Kick, punch or whatever) in the balls he would simply not be in a position to break someone's jaw as badly as it was broken.

Not once did Bren Mc deny the attack. His only defence was it was self defence which there is no evidence of.

I am no expert and wasn't at the trial or the incident but your account is full of holes. from your post:

"Gda Ledwith refuted the allegation that he had kicked Mr McManamon in the testicles and said he would have hit him at chest height.
    He said Mr McManamon punched him in the chest, and he pushed him back and told him to "F**k off".
    Gda Ledwith said that up to that point it was "handbags more than anything else", adding that Gaelic football was a "physical game" and that these things happened."

Gda Ledwith admits that he hit the accused before the accused broke his jaw. Yes, there is disagreement over whether it was in the testicles or in the chest but not disagreement that the broken jaw was later in the altercation.

Once that was established as fact, self-defence and acquittal was a possibility. It would have been the weight of other evidence that would have determined this.

Ledwith's claim was that he was hit first and then he reacted by hitting him in the chest.

The referee saw nothing but Bren Mc striking him in the jaw.

The jury believed something there seems to be very little (if any) evidence of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

He was acquitted by a jury of his peers so no matter what anyone’s opinion is, in the eyes of the law he did nothing wrong. CASE CLOSED…

celticbest wrote: »
    He was acquitted by a jury of his peers so no matter what anyone’s opinion is, in the eyes of the law he did nothing wrong. CASE CLOSED…

No disagreement there. Just IMO was a joke of a decision.

Plenty of cases of people getting off who shouldn't have in all walks of life.

Ledwith's claim was that he was hit first and then he reacted by hitting him in the chest.

The jury had the advantage of hearing directly from the two men involved and from other witnesses and made up their mind based on the evidence.

You're just telling lies.

Jury examined all the evidence and found him not guilty. According to the Independet report of the trial, the following seems key:

McManamon was asked to watch some footage of the match being played frame by frame, and to explain what was happening.

“The two of us are facing each other. I’m facing the goal and ball,” he continued. “This is where he draws his left hand back to strike me.”

Mr McManamon said Gda Ledwith then struck him between his legs, hitting his testicles.

“As soon as he hit me, I reacted,” he said. “I swung my right hand out there in defence, in self defence as a reaction to being hit.”

The 12 members of the jury acquitted him after hearing all the evidence. The only "joke" is your silly uniformed false comments.

You're just telling lies.

Jury examined all the evidence and found him not guilty. According to the Independet report of the trial, the following seems key:

McManamon was asked to watch some footage of the match being played frame by frame, and to explain what was happening.

“The two of us are facing each other. I’m facing the goal and ball,” he continued. “This is where he draws his left hand back to strike me.”

Mr McManamon said Gda Ledwith then struck him between his legs, hitting his testicles.

“As soon as he hit me, I reacted,” he said. “I swung my right hand out there in defence, in self defence as a reaction to being hit.”

The 12 members of the jury acquitted him after hearing all the evidence. The only "joke" is your silly uniformed false comments.

Why don't you quote the full article.

There is NO proof, video or photo's of Ledwith striking him in the balls. Ref didn't see it, witnesses didn't see it. However what was seen was Ledwith's jaw being broken.

Ledwith's has always claimed he was struck first and retaliated by pushing him in the chest. Bren Mc claims he was struck first in the balls.

Tell me where I told lies?

• Advertisement

Why don't you quote the full article.

There is NO proof, video or photo's of Ledwith striking him in the balls. Ref didn't see it, witnesses didn't see it. However what was seen was Ledwith's jaw being broken.

Ledwith's has always claimed he was struck first and retaliated by pushing him in the chest. Bren Mc claims he was struck first in the balls.

Tell me where I told lies?

The bit in bold doesn't accord with the article you posted as I have already pointed out:
    Godge wrote: »
    I am no expert and wasn't at the trial or the incident but your account is full of holes. from your post:

"Gda Ledwith refuted the allegation that he had kicked Mr McManamon in the testicles and said he would have hit him at chest height.
    Gda Ledwith said that up to that point it was "handbags more than anything else", adding that Gaelic football was a "physical game" and that these things happened."

Gda Ledwith admits that he hit the accused before the accused broke his jaw. Yes, there is disagreement over whether it was in the testicles or in the chest but not disagreement that the broken jaw was later in the altercation.

Once that was established as fact, self-defence and acquittal was a possibility. It would have been the weight of other evidence that would have determined this.

Gda Ledwith claimed that what went before was "handbags", not that he was struck first. Big difference. Enough to introduce reasonable doubt, especially because of the vagueness of Ledwith's evidence.

Is the personal life of a lad who played a minor role on the Dublin team donkeys years ago, really something that we need to be discussing in this forum? It is certainly something I have zero interest in reading about. I thought that this forum was about...ya know... football ! :rolleyes:

Just sayin' like....

Looks like Kevin O'Brien picked up a bad knock in a Sigerson Cup game today. Hopefully, it's not too serious.

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/dublin-kevin-obrien-injury-1314673-Feb2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Joekers

Anyone know what the chances are of the hurling being called off Sunday with the bad weather coming again tomorrow and Saturday ? Dont want to buy my ticket online and train ticket for it then to not go ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

Joekers wrote: »
    Anyone know what the chances are of the hurling being called off Sunday with the bad weather coming again tomorrow and Saturday ? Dont want to buy my ticket online and train ticket for it then to not go ahead

haha asked the same thing on the Galway thread..........first responder seems to think its a lock in to go ahead.

Joekers wrote: »

You know there's a supporters bus? Cheaper than the train at €10 return - check out the Friends of Dublin Hurling Facebook page or website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Joekers

You know there's a supporters bus? Cheaper than the train at €10 return - check out the Friends of Dublin Hurling Facebook page or website.

Yea I know that thanks we just like to stick to our own times and that, usually get the first train down and last train back spend the whole day there allowing for a few drinks in the town and that :)

Looks like Kevin O'Brien picked up a bad knock in a Sigerson Cup game today. Hopefully, it's not too serious.

About as serious as it gets - tore his right cruciate and he'll be missing for the entire intercounty season. I wish him all the luck with the healing, hope to have him fighting fit next year - he's got plenty left in the tank,

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Dublinfan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

About as serious as it gets - tore his right cruciate and he'll be missing for the entire intercounty season. I wish him all the luck with the healing, hope to have him fighting fit next year - he's got plenty left in the tank,
    Im sure he ll be chomping at the bit:D
    Piles are bleeding all over donegal

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement