Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

In the football I thought that Kerry 's midfield didn't dominate as I thought they would. Moran collected a couple of decent high balls. Our 8 and 9 were not great imo, only one is capable of winning something in the air, neither can break a tackle, and although Carthy does seem to be worth a couple of points in a game he'd need to start turning over the ball more to get a midfield slot. As it stands O'sullivan, my Dublin motm was a huge help to the Dublin midfield yesterday and helped harden things up in there.

Sean George was dragged out of position a lot leaving space in behind for the kerry forwards, but that was closed up very well in the second half. I hope he doesn't end up being a liability player there are elements to his game that come championship time teams will plan to exploit, positioning, speed possible hot head, I know he's only starting out it would be great if we got a decent no 3 out of him but he's very raw IMHO at the moment.

I thought Costello was very impressive yesterday , he went on one particular run on his own in the first half and was hard to stop, he was pulled down winning frees etc, he's stronger on the ball than mannion imo he is similar to a point but in front of goal he's more direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Thought Dublin just about deserved their win yesterday, last 20 minutes you could see the Dublin players barracking each other to get into position and implement the game plan properly while Kerry just looked like they were playing off the cuff.

That inability to stick to the script and the tendency of the gameplan to disintegrate for Kerry has cost us a lot of the last 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Cian O'Sullivan is wowgood by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

keane2097 wrote: »
    Cian O'Sullivan is wowgood by the way!

Most under-rated footballer in the past few years imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

And on to my thoughts on the football - we deserved the victory but only just about. One score in the first 20-odd minutes isn't good enough, even if it was a goal. Kerry weren't afraid to take shots between the '45 and the box, Dublin were terrified of it. The few shots we did get off revealed why because nobody really brought their shooting boots. Kerry hunted us in packs, putting us under savage pressure in the first half especially in midfield and Dublin didn't cope well at all. It was a mercy that we went in only losing by a single point. The second half was far better with the midfield starting to shore up a bit and stop leaks and some of the lads playing out of their skins - Cooper and even Fitzy were two of the lads who stood out in the backs. The introduction of some of last year's championship team with McCaffrey and MDMA coming on was a welcome boost and got us over the line. Lots of work to be done though, it's early days yet.

Some other thoughts:

Sean George - Less of that nastiness to his game and he could be in with a shot at playing the championship. At the very least he'll give O'Carroll a run for his money. Sitting on your man's head and throwing him a box is stupid stuff, we don't need liabilities and least of all in defence.

Cian O'Sullivan - He's a got a massive engine on him and could run all day. I thought he had a grand season last year but I wouldn't rate him the way you lads are myself. An on-form O'Sullivan and an on-form Ger Brennan I'd take Ger at 6 and push Cian out to 8 with MDMA at 9. He was vital in shoring up the weak midfield on Saturday though and was also my MOTM on the day.

Carthy/O'Mahony - Not really impressed with the duo, they're no MDMA/Bastick/COS. Need more game time before I could commit either way but this is the area Dublin were weakest in on the day - the feed to the forward line from them was poor as was their ability to compete at kickouts.

Alan Brogan - More rust on him than an abandoned ship. Some highlights include soloing the ball over his own head, soloing it too far in front for it to be snatched away and a banana shot wide. I forgive him though, because I got damn excited to not only see him start his first competitive intercounty in over a year but to do the full 70 as well - one more year Alan, I believe in you :)

I'll be keeping my eye on Costello, he's got some strength for a forward to be resisting some of the dragging he was getting on the day. I was disappointed Daniel Watson didn't get a run - with Dublin afraid to shoot for points we could have needed a goalhunter like Kevin McMenamin after he went off and from what I seen of him in the O'Byrne cup he's that sort of player.

I'm looking forward to next Sunday to see what team lines out and how we get on down in Mullingar

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I'd agree with most of the above, I was looking forward to seeing Watson too. I don't know if his first performance this year was a fluke or not but he could be an out and out no 14.

What I like about Costello is that he runs into position and releases the ball. At under age he was fantastic at it and I'm glad he's kept that part of his game, some of the Dublin lads simply can't spot or won't spot a pass.

I don't think the lads are as sharp this year though, last year the attempts on goal at this stage of the championship were through the roof, it seemed that they were determined to get a goal and generally they settled after they got it, or someone was sent off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Im sorry this is a bit off topic! I just received my season ticket (first year getting one).

I want to head down to the westmeath game on sunday... can I use my season ticket in cusack park and if so is it just a case of showing the card at the turnstiles?

Thanks

cruais wrote: »
    Im sorry this is a bit off topic! I just received my season ticket (first year getting one).

I want to head down to the westmeath game on sunday... can I use my season ticket in cusack park and if so is it just a case of showing the card at the turnstiles?

Thanks

Bring your ticket but you have to also use your card to book your tickets beforehand, you can print this off at home and bring it, you might get better seats, just showing up with your season ticket is problematic, you should book on line first

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

cruais wrote: »

Thanks

It is a two step process. You log onto your season ticket account at home and you print off your own ticket for the game. This will get you into the ground on the day. You also bring your season ticket holder card with you. This will be scanned as you go in and, your attendance at the game will be logged. This is important, as you must have a 60% attendance rate to be guaranteed an AI final ticket if Dublin make it to the final. It all works very smoothly at Croke Park.

It can be a bit hit and miss outside of Dublin, as not all county grounds have the electronic scanners that scan the card. Or sometimes, they just have one, and there will be a sign at the ground telling season ticket holders to enter at one particular in order to get their tickets scanned. If there are no scanners at the ground on the day, you may have to contact Parnell Park to have your attendance at the game added to your account manually. Last year in Kilarney, it was a bit of mess as the scanners didn't arrive from Croke Park in time for the game. Keep an eye on your account after away games, and if your attendance doesn't show up, give the DCB a ring. They've a good reputation for sorting people out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

No ticket for games outside Croke Park (well thats how it was the last two years). Your season ticket is scanned at the turn style.

• Advertisement

sgarvan wrote: »
    No ticket for games outside Croke Park (well thats how it was the last two years). Your season ticket is scanned at the turn style.

^-- This. I didn't have any tickets with me when I went to Ballybofey last year or Portlaoise. I just showed up with the season ticket. There were dedicated turnstiles for ST holders, with scanners and they just let you in after scanning it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

And on to my thoughts on the football - we deserved the victory but only just about. One score in the first 20-odd minutes isn't good enough, even if it was a goal. Kerry weren't afraid to take shots between the '45 and the box, Dublin were terrified of it. The few shots we did get off revealed why because nobody really brought their shooting boots. Kerry hunted us in packs, putting us under savage pressure in the first half especially in midfield and Dublin didn't cope well at all. It was a mercy that we went in only losing by a single point. The second half was far better with the midfield starting to shore up a bit and stop leaks and some of the lads playing out of their skins - Cooper and even Fitzy were two of the lads who stood out in the backs. The introduction of some of last year's championship team with McCaffrey and MDMA coming on was a welcome boost and got us over the line. Lots of work to be done though, it's early days yet.

Some other thoughts:

Sean George - Less of that nastiness to his game and he could be in with a shot at playing the championship. At the very least he'll give O'Carroll a run for his money. Sitting on your man's head and throwing him a box is stupid stuff, we don't need liabilities and least of all in defence.

Cian O'Sullivan - He's a got a massive engine on him and could run all day. I thought he had a grand season last year but I wouldn't rate him the way you lads are myself. An on-form O'Sullivan and an on-form Ger Brennan I'd take Ger at 6 and push Cian out to 8 with MDMA at 9. He was vital in shoring up the weak midfield on Saturday though and was also my MOTM on the day.

Carthy/O'Mahony - Not really impressed with the duo, they're no MDMA/Bastick/COS. Need more game time before I could commit either way but this is the area Dublin were weakest in on the day - the feed to the forward line from them was poor as was their ability to compete at kickouts.

Alan Brogan - More rust on him than an abandoned ship. Some highlights include soloing the ball over his own head, soloing it too far in front for it to be snatched away and a banana shot wide. I forgive him though, because I got damn excited to not only see him start his first competitive intercounty in over a year but to do the full 70 as well - one more year Alan, I believe in you :)

I'll be keeping my eye on Costello, he's got some strength for a forward to be resisting some of the dragging he was getting on the day. I was disappointed Daniel Watson didn't get a run - with Dublin afraid to shoot for points we could have needed a goalhunter like Kevin McMenamin after he went off and from what I seen of him in the O'Byrne cup he's that sort of player.

I'm looking forward to next Sunday to see what team lines out and how we get on down in Mullingar

Agree with a lot of what you say. We do need another option at midfield especially if COS ends up at centre-back for certain games or part of games.

On the shooting for points, I have noticed in the last few years that in Croke Park, especially in windy weather, kicking into the Hill End is more difficult. Remember Kerry didn't score for most of the second half either.

Last Saturday night there appeared to be a swirling cross-field breeze, that while not overly strong caused difficulty at that end. The high stands at the other end reduce the effect of the breeze.

The swirling nature of the wind was evident when a child lost their balloon and it swirled about a bit before heading up and onwards. It's a valid point, most of those bad wides were in the hill end all right. Still, there were some opportunities to move the ball and fist the points. The aversion to shooting points was so evident on the night that I actually thought Jack McCaffrey had tried to slot the ball past the keeper while being hounded by the two defenders at the end while I was roaring for him to put it over the bar. A few more sharp decisions like that in the first half and we might have been more comfortable, it wasn't for lack of possession in or around punching distance anyway. I think that Kerry had a tough time of it was more to do with them dropping off (they didn't hound Dublin in groups from about 50 minutes on) and Dublin's half-back line and midfield plugging the gaps after George was off. I hope for a better day on Sunday in Cusack Park and for the team to shut me up and prove me wrong, knocking over points with the grace they did in the championship.

The midfield question is more long-term. I've had that nagging feeling for part of 2011 and pretty much ever since including in 2013 though I came around to COS/MDMA in the latter half. The depth of the midfield when compared to the back and forward line isn't quite ideal. I really hope Carthy and O'Mahony get up to the level I'm thinking they need to be at and I can sit on it for a bit and see but if we falter this year I think that will be our undoing.

The swirling nature of the wind was evident when a child lost their balloon and it swirled about a bit before heading up and onwards. It's a valid point, most of those bad wides were in the hill end all right. Still, there were some opportunities to move the ball and fist the points. The aversion to shooting points was so evident on the night that I actually thought Jack McCaffrey had tried to slot the ball past the keeper while being hounded by the two defenders at the end while I was roaring for him to put it over the bar. A few more sharp decisions like that in the first half and we might have been more comfortable, it wasn't for lack of possession in or around punching distance anyway. I think that Kerry had a tough time of it was more to do with them dropping off (they didn't hound Dublin in groups from about 50 minutes on) and Dublin's half-back line and midfield plugging the gaps after George was off. I hope for a better day on Sunday in Cusack Park and for the team to shut me up and prove me wrong, knocking over points with the grace they did in the championship.

The midfield question is more long-term. I've had that nagging feeling for part of 2011 and pretty much ever since including in 2013 though I came around to COS/MDMA in the latter half. The depth of the midfield when compared to the back and forward line isn't quite ideal. I really hope Carthy and O'Mahony get up to the level I'm thinking they need to be at and I can sit on it for a bit and see but if we falter this year I think that will be our undoing.

you may be right but I will be watching both teams into the Hill over the next couple of months to see if it repeats. If you look back, most of our goal chances came at the Hill end as if the team was deliberately going for goal at that end. We had less goal chances in the second half.

I have never noticed it as much in the summer, it seems to be a winter/spring thing on certain days when the wind is in a cross-field direction.

as for the midfield, I have had hopes for O'Mahony a couple of times in recent years but he always seems to come up a bit short in the big matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

Godge wrote: »
    you may be right but I will be watching both teams into the Hill over the next couple of months to see if it repeats. If you look back, most of our goal chances came at the Hill end as if the team was deliberately going for goal at that end. We had less goal chances in the second half.

I have never noticed it as much in the summer, it seems to be a winter/spring thing on certain days when the wind is in a cross-field direction.

as for the midfield, I have had hopes for O'Mahony a couple of times in recent years but he always seems to come up a bit short in the big matches.

Any idea what age O'Mahony is at this stage. I thought he had a great 20 minutes against DCU last month, but he doesn't look like a guy who is going to be a championship player. Carthy looks like he has tonnes of potential.

It's our weakest sector of the pitch (excluding MDMA, COS and DB), and I'd have thought they'd try out McCarthy or Flynn as a midfielder. McCarthy plays there for his club, definitely has the pace and covers the ground well. He has to be an option, particularly when we are so well served with half backs. I think Flynn was brought into midfield for the DCU game, but he wasn't on the pitch long enough:(.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭VONSHIRACH

I see MDMA was playing for NUI Maynooth in the Sigerson Cup. I thought he was working as a schoolteacher. Is he back studying?

Yep. He is in college training to be a school teacher. Some of his time is spent doing teacher training stints in actual schools, but he is still technically a student.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭VONSHIRACH

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Yep. He is in college training to be a school teacher. Some of his time is spent doing teacher training stints in actual schools, but he is still technically a student.

Ah ok., thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Past30Now wrote: »
    Any idea what age O'Mahony is at this stage. I thought he had a great 20 minutes against DCU last month, but he doesn't look like a guy who is going to be a championship player. Carthy looks like he has tonnes of potential.

It's our weakest sector of the pitch (excluding MDMA, COS and DB), and I'd have thought they'd try out McCarthy or Flynn as a midfielder. McCarthy plays there for his club, definitely has the pace and covers the ground well. He has to be an option, particularly when we are so well served with half backs. I think Flynn was brought into midfield for the DCU game, but he wasn't on the pitch long enough:(.

I think O'Mahony is the wrong side of 30. He has always looked a class player and outperformed MDMA at club level but seems to find it hard to step up to IC level. I have talked to lads that know him well and he is a confidence player. It would take a decent run in the league and him to hot form to carry it on into Champo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Classic!

1621668_10152251315859187_1759046847_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

When Bastick was thrown into the mix in the league a few seasons back, he didn't really look up to it. But Gilroy stuck with him and the rest is history.

However, even if O' Mahony and Carthy eventually shine i can't see anyone breaking up the MDM-COS partnership anytime soon.

corny wrote: »
    When Bastick was thrown into the mix in the league a few seasons back, he didn't really look up to it. But Gilroy stuck with him and the rest is history.

However, even if O' Mahony and Carthy eventually shine i can't see anyone breaking up the MDM-COS partnership anytime soon.

I'd agree with that, but it is such an important position, its good to have a few spare options there, just in case. What if MDMA is injured, or out due to a suspension? What if Cian needs to be moved else where to plug a leaking hole in the defense, like he was in the AI semi against Kerry? Having Bastick is great, but I am not sure if he has the legs for the full 70 minutes anymore. He will be 32/33 come this years champo. It can't hurt to have a plan B in place just in case.

Not much to report on today's game, but Hudson played well when he came on.

Stoner wrote: »
    Not much to report on today's game, but Hudson played well when he came on.

Yeah, I'll let the weekend pass and then post up some more comments but Hudson was exactly what Dublin needed at that point in time - somebody to take the game by the scruff and start knocking over points. He pointed with what looked like ease from afar, something once again the team didn't fancy doing all match.

Have to say fair play to the lads after the game for taking photos with all the kids - it was a real can of worms to open, even more so given there was so many Dubs at the game but hey were ever so gracious doing it. I thought it was a lovely gesture and was something I've not experienced before, even if MDMA was a bit fed up by the time I was leaving, Kilkenny couldn't get enough of it and Fitzy had long since run for the hills :D

Every away Dubs game I have been too, the lads have always been very gracious in meeting the fans afterwards. Even Jim Gavin and the back room team are happy to pose for a pix and autographs. :)

It was a strange game today. Given how many players that featured today, that also featured in the AI final, I was expected an impressive performance, but it never really materialized until the last 10 minutes. Westmeath were very defensive from the get go, so it was never going to be a high octane, high scoring game. We were kicking into a very, very strong wind in the first half, so predictably there were a fair few lot of wides and missed frees. But there was also a lot of poor decisions made in shot selection & in front of goal. We lacked a fair bit of cohesiveness up front. Few of the forwards in the first half had a good shift imo.

I thought we'd pull away in the second half, when we had the wind in our favour, but it didn't really happen. The WM goal in the second half seemed to shake us up a good bit. Davy Byrne and did Hudson did a great job in putting us ahead again for good. Cian, Phily and Cooper all had great games and Cian would have been my choice for MOTM. Still a fair bit of work to be done up front. O'Gara, Mannion and Kev Mc have not had a stellar partnership so far imo.

I'd worry a bit about Cork in 3 weeks. I haven't seen any of their games, but they have won 5 games on the trot, so their confidence must be high. Still, we have three weeks to get in some good hard training and planning for the Cork game. Hopefully, Costello and Alan B will feature, which should add more oomph up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Any idea why no Costello yesterday? injury?

Strange game yesterday, not impressive but never really in trouble. WM will do well to win a game this year

corny wrote: »

Unless the MDM-COS partnership is broken up for COS at 6.

naughtb4 wrote: »

Strange game yesterday, not impressive but never really in trouble. WM will do well to win a game this year

Agreed, they never seemed to get going properly. Fluency lacking in the forwards but the backs played well.

great to see a big crowd down in Mullingar, much more than the locals.

Doubt if so many will make it up to Omagh and Derry.

Godge wrote: »
    Agreed, they never seemed to get going properly. Fluency lacking in the forwards but the backs played well.

great to see a big crowd down in Mullingar, much more than the locals.

Doubt if so many will make it up to Omagh and Derry.

Nah, not a hope. It'll be more like Ballybofey last year. I can't make Tyrone since I'll be out of the country but my St Patrick's weekend is given up with the hurling on Saturday against Kilkenny & the trip to Derry on the Sunday. I will admit though that should all ducks be in a row regarding a Grand Slam I'd most likely watch the rugby :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Arrived earlier than I expected to yesterday, so as a bonus I had the pick of the seats, just on halfway,
    1WestmeathvDublin090214_zps098b6680.jpg
    3WestmeathvDublin090214_zps26c3a7e0.jpg

Don't think I'll make the Derry game :(, I would have loved to but my Club has organised a Memorial Cup Match on the 16/03 followed by entertainment & I don’t think it would be taking to kindly if I didn’t show my face. Will defo travel to Healy Park though…

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement