Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round?? ... 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Nice shooting again, 2nd place I see although of a questionable 17 handicap. Handicap must be taking another severe downward spiral after Luttrellstown and again this weekend, down to at least 4 now?

How did you find the 36 holes format, obviously not too tiring with a better second 18. Was there a lunch or anything included with the entry fee. Didn't realise this was on this weekend and especially it being a 36 hole event as would otherwise have played it over Clontarf since I've never played Naas before and you can't beat a 36 hole event as a great day out.

Yeah 17 handicap, must have been a mistake!! yeah id say down to 4 now after them 2 rounds, first time playing 36 holer, it was grand, just drank plenty of water and had bananas etc going around and yes they had a burger/curry after the first 18,
    Yeah they didnt advertise it very well, seemed to be only kind of locals playing it, wasnt up on the GUI site, I heard of it from a mate who is a member there, They had the course set up very hard, greens like lightening and pins tucked away, Very enjoyable day, was playing with rollotomassi from here, always helps when you have good company and a relaxed atmosphere!!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

Scored a 40 on first time playing off a handicap of 28. (standard starting point for members of society)

5 Pars and a good few bogeys with the occasional disaster in-between.

Scored a 99 in stroke play which really spoiled any sense of achievement though.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭rollotomasi

dar_cool wrote: »
    Yeah 17 handicap, must have been a mistake!! yeah id say down to 4 now after them 2 rounds, first time playing 36 holer, it was grand, just drank plenty of water and had bananas etc going around and yes they had a burger/curry after the first 18,
    Yeah they didnt advertise it very well, seemed to be only kind of locals playing it, wasnt up on the GUI site, I heard of it from a mate who is a member there, They had the course set up very hard, greens like lightening and pins tucked away, Very enjoyable day, was playing with rollotomassi from here, always helps when you have good company and a relaxed atmosphere!!

More tidy play from dar_cool. He was never in much trouble on the day and could again have been a few shots better. Great to see someone getting cut but picking up some prizes on the way. Time for some senior scratch cups for him now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

35 points around Waterford castle last weekend, 5 1 pointers and a scratch in that. Started poorly with 5points after 4. Turned in 18. Felt like a hard slog with my approaches off line due to the driver not singing. Far easier game from the fairway. Only 2scratches in my last65 competitive holes is my best run of form ever. Aim to push that out to 83 soon hopefully...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

36 pts off 6 in a wiiiiiindy castleknock there this morning! First time playing, cracker of a course but damn greens were hollow tined. Had a heap of birdie putts inside 15ft and didnt make 1!! :( otherwise happy with my play. Maybe a little chop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MiniGolf

Can't remember the last time I posted here.....! Between letting my membership lapse and not having time to play I didn't have anything good to report... until now :-)
    Played Medal in Ballinastoe off back sticks last Sunday - 6088 mtrs.
    89 gross for 69 nett off 20.
    5 pars including a chip in on the 13th ;-)
    Had a lesson with David Lewis in Greystones Driving range the Thursday before and the tiny change he made made a huge difference to my consistency.
    Looking forward to a week of golf in the Algarve from the middle of next week :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,769 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Very hard out there today.

Played very well to get 32 pts - nothing happened coming home, as the conditions got harder.

But overall - 80 % happy. A few pulls at end caused a problem - but was in control of the ball , the wind helped me concentrate. Scratch on 18 after a great 5 iron went through.

Sadly a little short , but happy enough.

St Annes's in best condition I ever seen her - another open there on the 5th.

+4 (38 pts off 6) in mount wolseley. Windy as fook. Bogeyed the first 3 holes otherwise it was a super round of golf (bar the double on 16!! :) ) hit it great off the tee and irons were good. Putting was average. Drove the 4th green then 3 putted from 25 ft for par. Down to 5 id say now. Finally a cat 1 golfer eh

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

Tones69 wrote: »
    +4 (38 pts off 6) in mount wolseley. Windy as fook. Bogeyed the first 3 holes otherwise it was a super round of golf (bar the double on 16!! :) ) hit it great off the tee and irons were good. Putting was average. Drove the 4th green then 3 putted from 25 ft for par. Down to 5 id say now. Finally a cat 1 golfer eh

That 4th is a great hole, never drove it, but it's a very well designed par 4.

Dealerz wrote: »
    That 4th is a great hole, never drove it, but it's a very well designed par 4.

Cracking hole. Id always hit 6 iron up the left and 52 on, but didnt care this time and milled a high draw onto it. Great risk/reward hole.

• Advertisement

Tones69 wrote: »

Great golf today Tones, i was thinking i did well.

It was hard out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭jokser250

Played rosslare today in a stableford competition. It was my first time playing a links course and won't be my last . I scored 24 points (8) points front 9 and (16) points back 9 in very windy conditions . It took a while to adapt to the conditions and a links course but I made a better stab at it the longer the round went by and I'll defiantly be playing a links course again soon .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Won today's semi open fourball with my dad, off 2 (me) and 12 respectively in Lucan.

Delighted to put a score together on a tough day; the rain held off to be fair but enough wind to make it interesting. Got off to a great start, with dad making a solid par at number 1 with a shot and a trio of birdies from me on 4,5 and 6 driving home the initiative. A poxy iron ob from me on 7 put us back in our place and dad did well to salvage a point. Made good pars on 8 and 9 to turn with 22, a good number considering an increasing wind.

I missed a 6 footer for birdie on 10, a pity after dad secured the 2 points, but was satisfied to make a par 3 on 11 after he hit it ob. Made a nice putt for birdie on 12 then a great one on the index 1 14th for a nett 4 points. Good pars on 15 and 16 ensued before I squeezed another bird on 17, the down wind par 5. Not a great drive there it must be said, but a good recovery and a nice chip and putt got the job done

That put us 8up standing on the 18th tee. Back into the wind, it's always a stern test and I was relieved to watch the old man bust a solid one down the left. Pressure off, I milled one down the middle. Dad got a bad break unfort, finding a deep divot in the semi rough, presenting a tricky lay up shot. He dug a solid 7 iron out, within around 170 yards and I decided to have a lash with the driver. Hit it well but wind dragged it slightly left into an awkward spot adjacent to a spinney, all but eliminating the chance for a birdie 4.

Thankfully, the old man seized the moment. With me in his ear, he nailed a 4 iron to within 20 feet; sounds decent but with no good place to miss, it was much more than that! A solid 2 putt consolidated a really good day's golf and we were delighted to see our score cling on. Two 44s came in on our heels so it was a close call!

We've been close a couple of times this year so thrilled to scrape out the win at last. Happy with my own play too; 6 counting birdies represents a major upturn in form for me so really hoping I can replicate in at least 1 of the year's remaining singles comps!

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭SEORG

35pts yesterday in very blustery conditions..

Front 9
    8 bogeys
    1 par
    2 FIR(8 & 9), 0 GIR .

Back 9
    1 birdie
    6 pars
    2 bogeys
    4 FIR & 5 GIR

Very odd round, rescued a decent score with a 1 over back 9.
    Off the tee I was mostly terrible, hit my irons ok but didn't hole anything outside 8ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Went out practice last night. Horrible conditions only lasted five holes, but got some good work in using my new putter grip for the first time ( superstroke)

Holy ****, talk about instant improvement. Stock my wrist action and I was holing everything or leaving it dead weight. Can't WAIT for the weekend now!

Irons were ropey but wind was mental. Snap hooked all my drives which wasn't great either :'(

33 points - in very strong winds at times in "Royal" Curragh.

Years since I was there - and an amazing course - way better than I remember.

Played my 6 iron a good bit off the tee and went well.
    Again on the way home (last 5), just not much happened - a putt drop , an approach close a good up and down. Parred the index 1 - was a serious test today - Drive 5 iron to a par 4.

So another buffer (i'd say) - at least I'm in the buffer area - If I keep playing like that, a cut will come.

I love playing on a course like that, in the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Played Ardee in an open today

26pts.
    Irons were hit and miss, sliced damn near every drive. 3wood didn't help. Sometimes it didn't matter what I hit off the tee, just wasn't a good day for me.

Short game was decent, just found it hard to get the ball to stay on the green no matter how soft I landed it or how far off the green it pitched. As soon as it got on is was off.

Plan is to hit the range over the next week to get back to where I was before the break, then go for a lesson.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I think myself and barnaboy were having our own competition within a competition today at our Thursday open.....to see who could have the most 3 putts!!! Christ my putting has gone to bits!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I think myself and barnaboy were having our own competition within a competition today at our Thursday open.....to see who could have the most 3 putts!!! Christ my putting has gone to bits!!

Pace, line or both ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

34pts with 2 blanks on the card not a bad days wrk really. Waterford castle was looking great they had golfer digest comp there last wk. Happy with my game hoping I got another couple of cuts b4 the season ends.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Rikand wrote: »
    Pace, line or both ? :)

yupp!!

I got to the course about an hour early for some practice chipping and putting. Chipping went great and got me close a good few times on the course during the round but holy god my putting was woeful. Couldn't get pace right at all, I bombed a few miles past the hole on uphill and downhill putts. Sunk one for birdie on the 4th but i reckon it was pure luck as nearly every other hole was 2 or 3 putts. Missed a 3 footer for birdie on the tough 185m par 3 after nailing a 5 iron pin high:mad: I just couldn't get the ball in the hole!!

Had:
    1 Birdie
    2 Pars
    8 Bogies
    5 Doubles
    2 Scratches
    Nearly all the bogies / doubles and one scratch were because of poor putting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

33 points around Cahir Park on Wednesday. 6 1 pointers thrown in. was surprised to see I missed the buffer as it was a pig of a day. 2 scratches in my last 5 comps, delighted with that. admittedly there must be near on 25 1 pointers in those rounds but it's showing improvement. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

33 points in a open competition in Rossmore this afternoon in very windy conditions. Stood on the the 17th tee with 32 points finished scratch - DB for one point . Dissappointing but at least its progress from recent rounds. Should get me in the buffer at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭ballyk

87 shots, 38 points off 17 in the President's Prize in Ballykisteen today off the blue tees. 1 birdie, 4 pars, 11 bogeys, 1 double and 1 triple (1st hole). Hopefully it will be enough to make the playoff.

Update: Made the playoff alright but played crap in it except for the last three holes when I went bogey, par, par. Winner came from 2 shots behind playing the last to win on countback, he made par. Runner up had a bogey putt to win but missed it and got beaten because of a worse playoff score.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,037 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

72, +4 in second round of captain's today.
    Was coming along nicely and then had a 9 on par 5 and followed it up with a double.

:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

Played terrible in Grange Castle today. 119 strokes. Started with 8,7,7,8. Very erratic the whole way round. Hooked all my tee shots using the 3 and 5 wood. Then sliced most of my irons. Every swing felt unnatural out there. Although, for the first time my putting went well when I eventually got to the green.

I am seriously considering joing GC. I know I can play a lot better out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Dr.Rieux wrote: »
    Played terrible in Grange Castle today. 119 strokes. Started with 8,7,7,8. Very erratic the whole way round. Hooked all my tee shots using the 3 and 5 wood. Then sliced most of my irons. Every swing felt unnatural out there. Although, for the first time my putting went well when I eventually got to the green.

I am seriously considering joing GC. I know I can play a lot better out there.
    If you do join & are looking for someone to sign a card I'd be happy to head out for a round of I'm free

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

If you do join & are looking for someone to sign a card I'd be happy to head out for a round of I'm free

Thanks a million, they have a fantastic offer at the moment, but unfortunately this months wages are already earmarked :( but I'll keep an eye on membership over the coming weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭ifaptwohanded

I went out today for a around with a couple of friends full of confidence and by the 18th i scratched at least14 holes in total. I started off well but my ball striking was awful and letting me down. I couldn't hit a drive or a decent iron shot. I have had lessons and was told my stance, grip is perfect. When i was getting lessons i was hitting the ball as good as ever but with no consistency. The pro told me i need to get out and play but it doesn't matter how much i play i can't put a decent round together and it's soul destroying to say the least. The only part of my game that has improved is my putting.

When i go to the driving range i usually hit 100 balls. I start off with a 7 iron and down to a 5/4 iron and then on to my driver, hybrid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

charlieIRL wrote: »

Thankfully played Rathcore yesterday and the putting was much better! Out again tomorrow for more fun!

Advertisement