Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round?? ... 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Well a lesson learned about taking lessons today...and the lesson is, don't take a lesson & try change your swing a day before playing a round of golf.

Was out with dealerz today in the scratch cup in Royal Curragh.

Weather was great, course was a very pleasant surprise.

Shot 92 strokes today, so will be 0.1 back. The course is a tough trek from the blues. If you're straight off the tee it would be a completely different challenge but none of our 3 were straight all day really.

A few positives...parred the index 2 par 5 (13th I think) & birdies the index 1 17th, which is a long tough par 4. Was SLDR mini (draw), hybrid (fade), putt. Nice thing was I was trying to put that shape on both shots & they came off.

Nice company from dealerz who had his problems off the tee, but made a great 2 early in the back 9.

We had a young member play with us who played with all the trappings of a young golfer, beating himself up over every shot that wasn't perfect, looking at every putt from a couple of angles. But he was a nice kid who has the making of a very good golfer & came close to a hole in one on one of the par 3s on the back 9.

All in all a great day for golf, but not a day of great golf

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

Well a lesson learned about taking lessons today...and the lesson is, don't take a lesson & try change your swing a day before playing a round of golf.

Was out with dealerz today in the scratch cup in Royal Curragh.

Weather was great, course was a very pleasant surprise.

Shot 92 strokes today, so will be 0.1 back. The course is a tough trek from the blues. If you're straight off the tee it would be a completely different challenge but none of our 3 were straight all day really.

A few positives...parred the index 2 par 5 (13th I think) & birdies the index 1 17th, which is a long tough par 4. Was SLDR mini (draw), hybrid (fade), putt. Nice thing was I was trying to put that shape on both shots & they came off.

Nice company from dealerz who had his problems off the tee, but made a great 2 early in the back 9.

We had a young member play with us who played with all the trappings of a young golfer, beating himself up over every shot that wasn't perfect, looking at every putt from a couple of angles. But he was a nice kid who has the making of a very good golfer & came close to a hole in one on one of the par 3s on the back 9.

All in all a great day for golf, but not a day of great golf

Well summed up, and we still didn't get the 2 golf balls we "lent" him on the 13th tee back either that he sliced the sh*t out of....I'm just saying like!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Same score as Space for myself.
    Had a decent front 9 but fell away on the back. I'll be taking a couple of weeks off now as my neck has been playing up and not doing myself any favours playing.

Was a little disappointed by the condition of the place after being extremely impressed the first time around.
    The two members I was playing with said the green keepers aren't the busiest and tend to let things slip on occasion.

Lad I was playing with was +2 (off 12) on the front 9.
    He "collapsed" with two bogeys on 10 & 11. He was on for a great score but when a couple more bogeys came he openly said that his win was gone and I couldn't believe it when he said to the other member on the 16th tee... "No point in getting cut for nothing"
    That and a few more gems came out on the back 9.

He stumbled across the line. I've never felt as bad on a course as I did seeing him overshoot the green by 30 yards. Then made another few deliberate shots for his DB.

Anyway. Tis a great auld system and culture we have in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Sad. Very sad lance. I'll never understand that mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

ForeRight wrote: »
    Sad. Very sad lance. I'll never understand that mentality.

Couldn't agree more, fcukers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,807 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Savage Birdie space.

I was thinking I was class with a par :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Monthly medal. Beautiful day for it. 49 out 42 back for a gross 91 nett 75. Changed grip from overlapping to baseball and it took a long time to not feel too strange but generally happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

PARlance wrote: »
    Same score as Space for myself.
    Had a decent front 9 but fell away on the back. I'll be taking a couple of weeks off now as my neck has been playing up and not doing myself any favours playing.

Was a little disappointed by the condition of the place after being extremely impressed the first time around.
    The two members I was playing with said the green keepers aren't the busiest and tend to let things slip on occasion.

Lad I was playing with was +2 (off 12) on the front 9.
    He "collapsed" with two bogeys on 10 & 11. He was on for a great score but when a couple more bogeys came he openly said that his win was gone and I couldn't believe it when he said to the other member on the 16th tee... "No point in getting cut for nothing"
    That and a few more gems came out on the back 9.

He stumbled across the line. I've never felt as bad on a course as I did seeing him overshoot the green by 30 yards. Then made another few deliberate shots for his DB.

Anyway. Tis a great auld system and culture we have in the game.

That's a disgrace, he's me and the rest of us struggling and fighting for every shot and this guy is deliberately throwing them away. Were you signing his card or make any comment. Wonder what would happen if his marker refused to sign his card, could be very awkward but at least might raise the issue.

Out in the monthly medal today and shot 79 (+7) for a nett 72. Turned the front nine in +1 which was nice and steady despite a sloppy 3 putt. Got out of position a few times on the back nine pulling a few shots into trouble resulting in a few bogeys but made an absolute hash of the 15th, a relatively simple par 4, resulting in a triple. What's worse is that I hit an iron off the tee for position and pushed it into trees and then proceeded to hit 6 more appaling shots to get it into the hole. Still annoyed with myself over that hole and the only consolitation is that it resulted in a clause 19 adjustment to get me a little 0.2 cut. Don't know how the CSS equalled par as the scores were just crazy with a -8, -7, -6, -5 & -4s in. My level par was way down the list near 30th position. I thought I might have been in the running if I could have illuminated the 7 but would have had to have shot a gross -1 to have a count back chance. Crazy golf as my best round to date is +4 so would need a serious boost in handicap to be competitive. Hard not to get disillusioned with it all at times and especially now with only one medal left in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,807 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

- 8 is mad stuff ,

But then to have a -7 after it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

4 of us from Moate made the trip over to Co. Meath GC in Trim for an open singles there this morning. I last played it 10 years ago and scored 28pts off 22 then so I was pleased to see my game has improved a little with 31pts off 14 today. That was pretty much the only consolation after a not so hot round. I spent a lot of the time in the trees! Nice course but greens were a little bumpy and hairy in places. Heard a few members mention this in clubhouse afterwards too so at least I wasn't the only who thought it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭cgh

played the Royal currragh yesterday.

shot a 87 - 13 for a 74.

drove nice, hit some great irons, putted like McIlroy.....

3 putted the 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 16, 17....

pesky greens. Tough set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭rollotomasi

31 pts, 82 gross, off 5 in New Forest yesterday - ok off the tee, sloppy irons, and bad putting.

A fantastic course with some very interesting holes (with just the 15,16,17 being a bit weak relative to the rest).

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭SEORG

Played a fourball yesterday evening with three mates, had 41 points off 8..

Big improvement on recent rounds. My lag putting was good (no three putts for a change), as was my short game. Was ok off the tee without being spectacular. Irons were ok, if I missed a green I was only a couple of yards off the edge.

Had my first eagle of the year, holed out from 60yds on a par five after hitting a solid drive and 3 wood into the breeze. Had par, birdie on the following two holes which was nice for a change as I'm forever handing back a shot after a good score on a hole.

We still lost the fourball match :confused:

1 - Eagle :D
    1 - Birdie
    10 - Pars
    6 - Bogeys

FIR - 7/14
    GIR - 10/18
    Putts - 27

Looking forward to the last 2 months of scoring comps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭cgh

Played a Fourball yesterday.

played the best I ever played.

4 Birdies.
    5 Pars,
    5 Bogies,
    2 Double Bogies
    2 B.I.P (Ball in pocket)

my partner had 3 birdies.

we finished 5 under gross.

46 points and didnt even sniff a prize.

go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Friday - 35 points
    Saturday -35 points
    Monday - 35 points
    Tuesday - 36 points
    Wednesday - Holidays over, back to work:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

36 points 2 scratches today. 1 birdie 4 pars 9 bogeys and 3 1 pointers. Driver was poor pulling the short irons. A good score without playing at all well...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Well I finally did it..went around even par today. Nearly blew it too. I could feel the arms tightning up the closer I got to home. Was -2 teeing off the 16th..hit a perfect drive but ended up making triple bogey..aaaarrrgh. managed to birdie the next and par the last. Chuffed!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Nozebleed wrote: »
    Well I finally did it..went around even par today. Nearly blew it too. I could feel the arms tightning up the closer I got to home. Was -2 teeing off the 16th..hit a perfect drive but ended up making triple bogey..aaaarrrgh. managed to birdie the next and par the last. Chuffed!!

Congrats, to pull it back after a triple is some going, breaking 80 is my dream for now and a far off dream at that :pac:

But I have the rest of my life to shoot level par (well under par really, one mustn't sell oneself short, especially in fantasy!) and I'm ok with that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Played Luttrellstown twice this week, one off whites and one off greens,
    Had 30 points Wednesday, 2 stupid scratches after turning 9 +1,
    Had a gross 74 today, just done my stats and only hit 29% of fairways which is shocking, 61% of greens in regulation. I know what I need to work on!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

19 points is what I had today. I played crap and deserved nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Ciaranra

Got a lesson changing swing had 13 pts front 9 and 22pts back 9

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Today was a weird day at the office.

I had 38 points with 2 scratches in Grange Castle

82 strokes. Was generally lethal with the putter today, despite 2 3-putts I only had 26 putts in total.

Struggled off the tee today making swing changes. Was saved by good work in the scoring zone.

42% FIR
    33% GIR

3 birdies
    8 pars
    3 bogeys
    3 doubles (2 from the 3 putts)
    1 quad - having hit a safe hybrid down the centre of the 16th fairway I pulled 2 3-woods into the hazard. A tough lesson learned, a second hybrid would have put me at worst within pitch & putt range but I'd visions of glory.

CSS of 71 so only 0.2 cut, but should have been so much more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

33 points around mitchelstown today. 1 birdie 4 pars 7 bogeys 4 doubles and 2 scratches. 19 out bad back 9. best I've played it condition - wise. out again at 7.20 in the morning. Hard work making good use of the weather :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

87 around Moor Park in a casual, first time playing with my uncle in months. It was nice seeing as he introduced me to golf and I was only starting last time we played.

Had an issue with hooding the driver but otherwise not too bad. Greens were surprisingly very fast, played like links

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Played Headfort New yesterday in a society outing off the white tees shooting +1 gross for 40pts off a society handicap of 5. My best ever round, 2 birdies 13 pars and 3 bogies. +1 on the front and level on the back with the birdies on 8 and 10 and bogies on 3 (bad three putt) 6 (bad chip after hitting the big tree protecting the left green) and 13 (pulled drive into trees and had to pitch back onto fairway). Very steady round and apart from the 13th (was our long drive competition hole) was very consistent off the tee and hitting the irons well. 61% FIR and 61% GIR with 30 putts.

Perfect conditions weather wise and such a class course (although not in the best of condition) made for a great day out. Greens were really slow and looks like they hadn't been cut in a couple of days, they're still recovering from hollow tining which was over 3 weeks ago but areas of some greens were badly damaged with disease and others had bald/dead sections. Greens need a lot of TLC as in addition to above also had a lot of pitch marks.
    In addition to the slow greens large areas of rough were covered in heavy grass clippings making slightly errant balls very difficult to find. It looks like the rough is let grow for a week or two and then cut down leaving all the grass behind. The 16th in particular looked very bad with grass everywhere and must be an absolute nightmare in the wet.
    Great dinner in the clubhouse after and very reasonable, would be worth returning for the food alone but Headfort New is such a great layout it's a pity to see it let slide I in terms of conditioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Played Headfort New yesterday in a society outing off the white tees shooting +1 gross for 40pts off a society handicap of 5. My best ever round, 2 birdies 13 pars and 3 bogies. +1 on the front and level on the back with the birdies on 8 and 10 and bogies on 3 (bad three putt) 6 (bad chip after hitting the big tree protecting the left green) and 13 (pulled drive into trees and had to pitch back onto fairway). Very steady round and apart from the 13th (was our long drive competition hole) was very consistent off the tee and hitting the irons well. 61% FIR and 61% GIR with 30 putts.

Perfect conditions weather wise and such a class course (although not in the best of condition) made for a great day out. Greens were really slow and looks like they hadn't been cut in a couple of days, they're still recovering from hollow tining which was over 3 weeks ago but areas of some greens were badly damaged with disease and others had bald/dead sections. Greens need a lot of TLC as in addition to above also had a lot of pitch marks.
    In addition to the slow greens large areas of rough were covered in heavy grass clippings making slightly errant balls very difficult to find. It looks like the rough is let grow for a week or two and then cut down leaving all the grass behind. The 16th in particular looked very bad with grass everywhere and must be an absolute nightmare in the wet.
    Great dinner in the clubhouse after and very reasonable, would be worth returning for the food alone but Headfort New is such a great layout it's a pity to see it let slide I in terms of conditioning.

Great shooting around there!! Yeah I played it a few weeks back and it was a little rough around the edges, but one of the best layouts around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

4 birdies
    2 bogeys
    12 pars
    70 strokes for my lowest ever round

• Registered Users Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

37 points off 5 today. Left a few out there but very happy with my play. Got a putting tip from billy horschel and chris kirk this week. Shortened my backstroke and power thru the follow thru. Getting a much better stroke and roll on putts inside 15 feet.

3 birdies
    8 pars
    7 bogeys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

78 off 9 for 68 nett in September medal around Rathcore.

Probably my best golf of the year. I've heard there is a 68 in so missed out but happy with a cut. Hopefully down to 8.4.

Hit every fairway and 62% GIR makes me go all gooey inside.

1 Birdie
    11 Pars
    5 Bogeys
    1 Double

FIR 100%
    GIR 62%
    Putts 34

Advertisement