Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round?? ... 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭benny79

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Sounds like CSS was 39. You need minus numbers (and red) in ND to get cut. Unlucky but still a good round.

Typical! taught I was going to get my first cut, ah way try harder next time...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

90 off 13. Puke driving and a few big pushes with the three wood. Nothing dropping. Worrying. No range time in two weeks during holidays. Will put it down to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

36 pts standing on the eighteenth tee. Par for 39 points which would have probably gotten me very close to my summer ambition of getting to single figures!!
    Push drive a little into trees on right passed the 150 mark. No sign of the ball. Searched like a lunatic for 5 mins and no sign. Raging : (
    I could have gone back to the tee but couldn't be arsed. People waiting on the tee anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

80 gross on Saturday off 8 for a 72 net in our captains prize.

Came third in class 1. While I'd no chance of the overall prize, I missed two makeable putts that annoyed me, and if I had of held them I would have came third OVERALL. Oh well.

Was a seriously rough day, was the third best gross on the day. Happy enough with the game. WEnt out Sunday and was feeling a bit rough ( new baby wasn't settled Sat night) and I dq'd myself on 15 so I could fiddle with my driver as I wasn't happy with it.

Iron game REALLY coming along nicely and my putting has taking a shot to the arm thanks to a new grip. Really comfortable and confidence is there again on the greens. But as others come into line, the reliables fall off, my driving has been shocking last few rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Got on the range for 45 minutes, striking really well.

Got out on the course and ended up playing something like golf, but just not quite.

17 points off the blues in Headfort new.

Emm.. One of those days.

I just need a hug, and some more golf balls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

dan_ep82 wrote: »

Got out on the course and ended up playing something like golf, but just not quite.

Emm.. One of those days.

Keep pluggin away, you have all the basics right, headfort off the blues is a beast so don't be too disheartened!!
    29 off 4 in headfort off the blues, stunning course, greens need a week or 2 to come back from hollow tining.

dar_cool wrote: »
    Keep pluggin away, you have all the basics right, headfort off the blues is a beast so don't be too disheartened!!
    29 off 4 in headfort off the blues, stunning course, greens need a week or 2 to come back from hollow tining.
    Cheers, nice to get out with yourself and ray :)

I'm out tomorrow evening for a few holes off the whites this time :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭rollotomasi

Emm.. One of those days.

Just one of those days today that we all have and it'll come right soon as your basics are good and the swing is really solid.
    Thanks again for showing me and Dar_cool around - Headford is a terrific track.

Just one of those days today that we all have and it'll come right soon as your basics are good and the swing is really solid.
    Thanks again for showing me and Dar_cool around - Headford is a terrific track.

Thanks, anytime you want another crack at it let me know :D

You really came on form on the back 9, 20 points wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

dar_cool wrote: »

Never played off the blues but looks an animal alright at over 7,100 yards with a lot of long carries to reach the fairways. Just had a look at the results and 38pts off 3 won it with 35pts or 73 strokes off +2 winning the gross. Serious shooting with CSS being Home - 74 and Away - 76. A lot of good amateurs coming out of Headfort.
    Down to play Headfort New Sat week in a work society so hopefully greens should be fully recovered by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭rollotomasi

Thanks, anytime you want another crack at it let me know :D
    You really came on form on the back 9, 20 points wasn't it?

Yes - managed to get it off the tee ok on the back which made the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Absolutely love both Headfort Courses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Beautiful day in Limerick today. Shot 91 gross in Castletroy for 37 points off 20. Wasn't in the comp as I don't have a GUI, so used my boards handicap for some practice ahead of the Captain's.

Didn't do anything particularly well or particularly badly. Had 7 fairways, 6 greens and 36 putts. No birdies even though had four pretty decent looks. Only one scratch which was good, not so good that it was caused by a bad drive, after three putting for bogey from 10 feet on the previous hole.

Castletroy was in great nick in the sunshine, every where looks good in the sun but they do keep Castletroy well maintained. Anyway just great to get out on a nice day and not have the golf spoil it :pac: Game is ticking along nicely, so roll on Mount Juliet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

started off poorly in Macroom today, scratched 2 in the front 9 for 14 points. Birdied number 4 for 3 points.
    came home in 3 over for a 38 total. 5 pars, 2 bogeys, stupid double on a par 3 9 iron and birdied the last. A game of 2 halves happy how I didn't throw in the towel after the 3rd with only 3 points. hopefully get a cut to 16.

2 birdies 6 pars 5 bogeys 3 doubles and 2 scratches.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,345 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Played in the Open day in Athlone on Wednesday evening. hammered out of work at 5, got there for 5:15 and tore off with my dad to try and get 18 holes in. There was a 1 ball in front of us, a tourist from switzerland, hoping to get a quick game in and a 4 ball in front of him. Another 2 groups went out after us, but not in the competition. Playing the 5th hole, the 4 ball ( a group from roscommon ) had lost 3 holes on the 3-ball group in front of them. There were 5 "groups" in total playing the 5th hole behind these guys.

The 5th hole in Athlone is a 550 yard par 5 but still, that's no excuse....

The order on the hole

The 4 ball on the green for what seemed like an eternity
    The Swiss guy playing on his own waiting to play his 3rd shot from 100 yards.
    Myself and my dad. I was waiting to play my second shot after quite a long Drive. My dad had already played his second.
    The group behind us were two older gents who weren't going to reach my drive, so they hit up behind us and were waiting over their second shots.
    And another 2 ball stood on the tee.

I actually got to lie down for about 10 minutes while i waited to hit my shot.

On the 6th tee, the 1 ball joined them and they never even looked at him or talked to him or anything

Myself and my dad arrived at the 6th tee, just as they were leaving..... not a mention of apology for the slow play or that they would call anyone through, Nothing. Stone faced expressions and just walked on....

They picked up the pace slightly after this but we all continued to be held.

The two groups behind myself and my dad went in after 8 holes ( which is a point near the club house ). The Swiss guy in front of us left after 12, frustrated with having to wait over every shot.

And myself and my dad played the last 3 holes in total darkness. It was 9:15 when we got in. Only for the lights in the club house car park, we wouldnt have been able to see the 18th green.

Anyways

To cut a long story short, I finished with 32 points, which was pretty good despite the troubles we had and my dad finished with 31.

The summer is gone. Won't be getting anymore open days in until 2015 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dwayned

played 9 holes after work on Wed eve with a couple of workmates at my home course (Ormeau, Belfast) and done ok - 17pts off 18 with 1 ding.

first time out with a new driver so was happy enough to hit a couple of fairways - only sliced 1 drive (OOB) which caused the ding on index 1

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

36 pts today at St. Anne's.

Played poor for most of the front nine. Ball OB - slicing the ball and pulling.
    But turned things around and grinded out 36.

Still not playing well and next winter going to reshape my swing again - I've needed this for a while , but too late in the season to do anything.

So- much work needed , but glad I can grind it out too. Would have been 24 points a year ago.

Will be a new golfer in March - going to have about 10 lessons over next 6 months.

Had a great day with 2 other Boards lads , and I'm very happy with the condition of the course after a good 6 months of trying to get things right.

Thinking of joining as a full member to give weekend golf a crack next year - try win something and play club golf. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭ballyk

33 points off 16 in St. Anne's this morning. Very enjoyable day out. Putted well, new swing was up and down, it just needs a bit more practice and hopefully it will be in good shape for Mount Juliet. Highlight was a birdie 2 on the third with a 5 iron over the bunker to the back of the green and holed the putt from 15 or 20 feet. The other 2 lads birdied the index 18. Nice to finish with a par also.

First time playing the course. Greens were in great shape out there, rolled really true.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Lads I need help, my putting is gone. Its depressing at this stage. I hit an awful lot of GIR today but 2,3 & even a 4 putt from the edge of a green. Some greens were sanded, some weren't but I just couldn't get the pace all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Lads I need help, my putting is gone. Its depressing at this stage. I hit an awful lot of GIR today but 2,3 & even a 4 putt from the edge of a green. Some greens were sanded, some weren't but I just couldn't get the pace all day.

That just happens. You could go out tmrw and sink everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

Crashed out of the Singles Matchplay semi today at Grange Castle. I was playing a chap off 10 so I had 2 shots.

Was quite confident staring out but my opponent soon put paid to that with some faultless golf. I was 4 down after 5 holes which would indicate I was playing like a spanner but he had just gone par, birdie, par, par, birdie and despite me also having 3 pars in the opening 5 holes (which I was happy with) I was firmly on the backfoot. 4 down soon became 5 after 7 holes. I finally managed to win an hole on the 9th to get him worried :P and also won the 11th to have him shaking :P:P That was the wake-up he needed as he proceeded to par the next 3 holes to close me out 5 and 4.

Was I disappointed to lose ? Yes
    Was I annoyed ? No............... I shot pretty much as well as I could given my recent form. I had 7 pars in the 14 holes but my opponent had 9 pars and 2 birdies which is hard to compete with.

The door was never really open at any stage such was his consistent play.

Here's the best bit....... The chap had only been away on his honeymoon in Indonesia for 3 weeks and had got back today at noon. He hadn't swung a club in weeks and was jet-lagged.

In stableford terms I had 29 pts after 14 and went on to score 37pts for the round so I was quite happy with my play.

Already looking forward to Sunday comp.........

• Registered Users Posts: 34 followmeup

Hey guys, new here and have recently rediscovered my love for golf! (Haven't been a member of a club since I was 18, 27 now).So I played my first round of golf in a year yesterday in birr. Shot an 86 which I was delighted with because for the first 9 my driving was quite erratic!! Finished the last 4 holes birdie, bogey, par, par so was only getting my rythm going towards the end.

Hoping to join in January and get back into it, my biggest problem is that none I my friends are into it bar one but he has limited time so I need to find a few golfing buddies!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

followmeup wrote: »
    Hey guys, new here and have recently rediscovered my love for golf! (Haven't been a member of a club since I was 18, 27 now).So I played my first round of golf in a year yesterday in birr. Shot an 86 which I was delighted with because for the first 9 my driving was quite erratic!! Finished the last 4 holes birdie, bogey, par, par so was only getting my rythm going towards the end.

Hoping to join in January and get back into it, my biggest problem is that none I my friends are into it bar one but he has limited time so I need to find a few golfing buddies!

Great score.

must have got low before ?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 followmeup

Great score.

must have got low before ?

Never really played enough after my teens too score low, I play a bit of hurling and pitch and putt so that has kept my strenght and eye in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

6 pars 9 bogeys 3 doubles this morning in Cahir Park for 38 points. Teed off at 7 in near dark, you know you have it bad when your playing partner is using a yellow ball so as to be able to see it. Driving was off in the front 9 putted well. Missed an 8 footer for birdie on 18. 38 wasn't good enough for a cut last time out, hopefully this time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

followmeup wrote: »

If you join a club that uses BRS online timesheet (most do) then you can put your name down where theres a space in a line. It's a great way to get to know lads in the club and in our place about half those playing play with different people every week so its very normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

So went out yesterday not expecting much. Had a lesson on Wednesday, have been pulling and pushing shots. My setup was all wrong, aimed right with ball too far forward it stance.
    So 2 thoughts in head yesterday. Then came my lowest round of 78 off 12 for nett 66. Should get me down to 11. Even more pleasing was that bogey was my worst score of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Was out in Sliabh Russell on Friday with a work outing. I play off 8 but they gave me seven :D Shot 78 gross to finish 36 points so was absolutely chuffed. Came home with second place and some nice prizes :)

Then today did the same again, 78 gross. A stretch of four bogeys from 10-13 threatened the round but pulled it back dropping one more on the last. Missed a rake of birdie opportunities both rounds, the practice really starting to show now. Capitalising on the confidence with organising another short game lesson for the week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

Played Grange Castle again today. And, like last week was hooking every tee shot I had, and every iron shot this time too. After shooting into the trees over the ditch left on the 18th one of the guys playing behind us suggested I move my back foot forward a small bit. I reloaded and gave it a go, still aiming right to compensate for my hooking and sure enough, flew arrow straight into the trees on the right. Irons on the 18th also all went arrow straight by moving my back foot slightly forward. So, if you're on here, thank you once again, despite playing awfully I left the course delighted and wished there were more holes.

Shot 111 gross, including a 10 on the 15th after losing two balls. I started terribly, 8,9,7,9 then went nothing worse than a double until the 15th. I had 36 putts, 3 3 putts and 3 1 putts. The three putts were all down to rushing them. I was delighted with that. Hopefully out again next week, and might even try get out twice if the weather is there for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

Dr.Rieux wrote: »
    Played Grange Castle again today. And, like last week was hooking every tee shot I had, and every iron shot this time too. After shooting into the trees over the ditch left on the 18th one of the guys playing behind us suggested I move my back foot forward a small bit. I reloaded and gave it a go, still aiming right to compensate for my hooking and sure enough, flew arrow straight into the trees on the right. Irons on the 18th also all went arrow straight by moving my back foot slightly forward. So, if you're on here, thank you once again, despite playing awfully I left the course delighted and wished there were more holes.

Shot 111 gross, including a 10 on the 15th after losing two balls. I started terribly, 8,9,7,9 then went nothing worse than a double until the 15th. I had 36 putts, 3 3 putts and 3 1 putts. The three putts were all down to rushing them. I was delighted with that. Hopefully out again next week, and might even try get out twice if the weather is there for it.

Keep at it it does get easier the more you play. Always look at the positives from your game. A few decent drives, some nice irons, good up and downs and putts. These should all be stored mentally to aid your approach for the next round.

Advertisement