Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch & Coastal Flooding Events: January 2014

Options

Comments

33dilo1.jpg

What is the black spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

33dilo1.jpg

What is the black spot?

Wave heights. The scale only goes as high as 48 feet there. Highest waves would be much higher, perhaps double that.

Wave heights. The scale only goes as high as 48 feet there. Highest waves would be much higher, perhaps double that.

48 feet!

Time to leave ireland?

8pm plot drawn by computer using a mix of model and surface observations.

QSQmxqO.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

The area of that black spot is easily enough to cover both Ireland and Britain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

but remember that swell is for monday not tonights storm. wind just started frieght-training outside now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭tfromkerry

This must surely mean very very heavy floods for most of the country on Monday , with Kerry and Cork getting badly hit . Can somebody with more knowledge than me confirm this for us .:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭irishgeo

http://magicseaweed.com/UK-Ireland-Surf-Chart/1/

This does not look good

Press play top right, makes today's storm look like a slight breeze!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

irishgeo wrote: »
    how often is that updated?

updated every 3 hours

• Advertisement

tfromkerry wrote: »
    This must surely mean very very heavy floods for most of the country on Monday , with Kerry and Cork getting badly hit . Can somebody with more knowledge than me confirm this for us .:eek::eek:

Well luckily astronomical tides won't be quite as high on Monday as they will be tomorrow and Saturday, but I'd imagine there will still be a significant risk of coastal flooding anyway.

I put a green circle around the area of 40+ ft wave forecast to be off the west coast tomorrow morning.

4XYYacH.png

Just to show the difference, here is the area 40+ ft waves for Monday morning highlighted in green.

5hNEe77.png

I'm not an expert in coastal flooding but that doesn't look good.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Highest Gusts So far are 52 knots @ Valentia & Sherkin Island @ 9pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭tfromkerry

Well luckily astronomical tides won't be quite as high on Monday as they will be tomorrow and Saturday, but I'd imagine there will still be a significant risk of coastal flooding anyway.

I put a green circle around the area of 40+ ft wave forecast to be off the west coast tomorrow morning.

4XYYacH.png

Just to show the difference, here is the area 40+ ft waves for Monday morning highlighted in green.

5hNEe77.png

I'm not an expert in coastal flooding but that doesn't look good.

:eek::eek:
    Mother of god that dont look good at all , cork city is bad at the moment from this id say it will only get worse .

Any idea what counties will be affected and how bad in your opinion :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13 brianville

The wind is roaring good and steady now in bandon

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Bit of a battering into the west for 3am.

Latest NAE

14010303_0218.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Park road Waterford in the past hour or so.

xm6h.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

holy crap. the pill has overflowed. thats not good advertising for the flood controls!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

When you think about it the uk have serious flood warnings out and we are far closer to boththese in coming storms.
    Am beginning to think we will be looking at a major news story by tomorrow morning with serious floods

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭irishgeo

200motels wrote: »
    Park road Waterford in the past hour or so.

xm6h.jpg

i would be moving the golf , if i was the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Sustained wind of 19km/h.
    Gusting 26km/h.

More during showers (but not interesting enough to go out and measure just yet.)

West Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Taken about 20 mins ago Park Road.

9qsk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Not so much as a breeze in galway yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kerrywez

200motels wrote: »
    Taken about 20 mins ago Park Road.

9qsk.jpg

Just brilliant, love it, well done mate, everything will be fine now.

Regards and respect Wez

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭budweiser6

Winds picking up now here near Limerick only noticeable the past 20 minutes to half hour though... some fairly strong gusts

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Where in Galway are you? Sounds like it's blowing a gale outside where I am, in the east of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Its beginning to get a bit blowy here in Limerick City Ennis Road area. But nothing significant. We have an outside Christmas tree in a south facing area and its steady as a rock at the moment (it rocked quite a bit the night of the 26th).

Its cold though. Very cold.

I have to say, we've never had such a romantic Christmas as we have had this year. Candles lit on a number of evenings anticipating a possible power outage A Big fire down to keep the place warm :D Not a bad thing at all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,374 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Have been rather busy at a variety of tasks and my forecast seems okay so just hoping that west coast will survive the storm surge at the next high tides, I noticed a post back a few pages that should probably be reposted now for relevance, showing the high tides at Galway. Sorry but I have to run out again, will probably be watching from midnight on.

heard a bang said:

still waiting .. oh there it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

A local weather station owned by a Boardsie tells a different story...

http://galwaycityweather.com/index.htm

This one could give a good indication in the morning - http://www.farsondigitalwatercams.com/live-webcams/ireland/Galway-Harbour/Galway-City

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement