Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch & Coastal Flooding Events: January 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kerrywez

Hooter23 wrote: »
    :confused:Were ye not warned of flooding wasnt it on the news wasnt it on the radio wasnt it on the internet:confused: what more do you want?

All I ever hear from ME is a giant MAYBE, they never say there will be. I used to depend on the ME forecast, before they got all their fancy computers, but since they got them, I would not believe one word that comes from their mouths. There is no definite forecast, just this might happen or that might happen. ME I don't give a hoot, I am far enough above sea level to not have to worry about tidal surges, extreme low pressure, very high tides and very strong winds. It is the people in low lying areas that I feel sorry for, it is they who are being let down by ME, not me. I can go to loads of places, on the internet and look at what the real weather is going to be, no if's no but's, if you are so fond of ME then you are fully entitled to waste your time listening to them, who am I to tell yo what to do.

On the real time weather front it is getting very wild here now, the wind has started to whistle and it only dies that when it is very string, it did it a week ago, just before the power went of.

Regards Wez

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Starting to pick up now in Greystones.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,101 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

kerrywez possible troll, time to ban?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

kerrywez wrote: »
    All I ever hear from ME is a giant MAYBE, they never say there will be. I used to depend on the ME forecast, before they got all their fancy computers, but since they got them, I would not believe one word that comes from their mouths. There is no definite forecast, just this might happen or that might happen. ME I don't give a hoot, I am far enough above sea level to not have to worry about tidal surges, extreme low pressure, very high tides and very strong winds. It is the people in low lying areas that I feel sorry for, it is they who are being let down by ME, not me. I can go to loads of places, on the internet and look at what the real weather is going to be, no if's no but's, if you are so fond of ME then you are fully entitled to waste your time listening to them, who am I to tell yo what to do.
    Weather forecast is not an exact science, Met Eireann do a fantastic job, the issue is with people expecting them to do the impossible.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Actually reassess that, went outside and got hammered by a blast, got a strong gust, hard to gauge it without a reader, but I would put it at maybe 80% of the gusts we got there 2 weeks ago.
    But its without a doubt picked up here now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

gusty here in cork. but not as bad as last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Villain wrote: »
    Weather forecast is not an exact science, Met Eireann do a fantastic job, the issue is with people expecting them to do the impossible.

I actually think Met Eireann have been spot on more often than not in 2013.

And I like that they do not over-hype, it makes their warnings more effective!

Agreed,ME in all fairness do a good job. they cant be seen to hype things up. they give warnings on the information they have,simple as. speaking of which don't for get the latest from them at 2355 on Rte Radio 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭dacogawa

little ma wrote: »
    According to Sky news we are doomed......they spent upwards of 6 minutes on weather topics.....so,either very bad storm, or a quiet night on the news front!

I wish Sky News had Ollie Williams on the west/south coast later tonight... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kerrywez

kerrywez possible troll, time to ban?
    Do what you like mate for all I care, nobody is allow to say a word about ME on here.

Regards Wez

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Ever look at their 5 day summary charts at the end of their broadcasts? They never match the daily charts that they put up during the actual broadcast. I guess half the public see one, the other half the other.

The bias on the ME weather forecast is comical at times. Theres the weather for Dublin, and then on occassion, the weather for the rest of the country. Comical at times, but in general, poor. Id hate to know what they are paid.

Anyway, back to the pending storm...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Looking out the window is about as much use as ME, can't say I am a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Very bad now in Castlebar, some gusts are worse than Stephens night in the last few minutes, not by much, but would not like to be outside, very squally showers as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Pappacharlie

Very quiet here in Ballyvary near Castlebar. Must be the calm before the storm??
    Or is it all hyped up again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The storm so far in Galway is just blah......:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Xenji wrote: »
    Very bad now in Castlebar, some gusts are worse than Stephens night in the last few minutes, not by much, but would not like to be outside, very squally showers as well.

Stepped up a notch outside Newport, castlebar road. Not as bad as it was last week but still wouldn't like to be out in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

well won't be making that mistake again, leaving the window open:o

Very quiet here in Ballyvary near Castlebar. Must be the calm before the storm??
    Or is it all hyped up again?

You are either well sheltered or it is on the way, its is far from calm in Castlebar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

I am off to bed. Can't be waiting for this to kick off...

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

hailstones battering the house.
    Wind howling
    Cork airport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

16km/h sustained.
    19km/h gust.
    Dry.
    West Limerick.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Winds picking up again and a lull for a few hours. Average 22km/h gusting to near 50km/h but sound wise getting louder coming down the chimney ;)

http://www.waterfordcityweather.com/wxlive.php

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Really picking up in Sth Limerick, power could go at any moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Feck this storm think the only real wind is in that band of rain out west And in showers which brushed by galway half hour ago gone almost calm again ...

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Feck this storm think the only real wind is in that band of rain out west And in showers which brushed by galway half hour ago gone almost calm again ...

Ah sure we are not meant to get the brunt of it will around 03.00

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭billie1b

hailstones battering the house.
    Wind howling
    Cork airport

You live in Cork Airport :D

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Faustino

Getting blustery in Dublin 4, still nothing compared to Stephens Night. Is it expected to get any worse over the next few hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

thunder and lightning in Dunmanway, West Cork. Dog in bombshelter under my desk:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

For those that like technical details and convective weather, new Estofex forecast is out. I highlighted the parts that refer to our part of the world.
    SYNOPSIS and DISCUSSION

Fueled by an outbreak of very cold arctic air from E-Canada, an extensive low pressure area grows into a 970 hPa vortex, which covers most of the N-Atlantic. Embedded in that vortex, numerous smaller-scale vortices or mid-tropospheric waves exist. One of those vortices is placed between Ireland and Scotland with a surface pressure between 955 and 960 hPa. This feature drifts to the north/northeast during the forecast with a gradual weakening trend anticipated. Thereafter, numerous more or less pronounced mid-tropospheric waves cross Ireland and UK. Finally a pocket of very cold air at 500 hPa enters the scene from the W during the night and results in a rapidly amplifying trough west of Ireland. Those features will be discussed below:

Ireland and Scotland, ongoing at 06 Z until 18 Z:

Despite missing convection, a short hint at that wind event seems reasonable. Phase diagrams and diverse model data show one of the most remarkable warm-core events for quite some while with the sub-960 hPa depression N of Ireland moving to the NE ... even showing a deep warm-core structure. A well structured occlusion, connected to a subtropical air mass, bends into that vortex and to its south. This scenario provokes a compact damaging wind field beneath a 850 hPa jet core with wind speeds of 35 to 45 m/s (peak strength during the start of the forecast). Despite gradual weakening a swath of damaging winds likely affects Ireland and Scotland during the daytime hours from SW to NE. Despite the magnitude of that wind event, missing convection precludes the issuance of any level areas.

S-C Ireland, UK all the way to Denmark:

Behind an eastward sliding occlusion (the same, which provokes the scenario above), deep CAA will be underway with 500 hPa temperatures falling to -30 °C and less. SSTs west of Ireland exceed 11 °C with a marginal decrease towards Ireland and UK. Sufficient vertical lapse rates are forecast for active and deep post-frontal marine convection. Strong and still predominantly unidirectional shear accompanies that convection, so downward mixing of 25 m/s winds at 850 hPa cause severe winds to be the main hazard ... next to sleet. However, at least two embedded mid-layer impulses during that forecast increase concerns about more organized convection:

The first wave affects S-UK/NW France (09 to 15Z) with a rapid SW-NE motion. Surface pressure fields confirm a weak stamp at low-levels with a temporal increase of BL mixing ratios. Coupled to cooling mid-levels, 200-500 J/kg SBCAPE seems likely over S-UK and NW France. Faint backing ahead of that wave also increases LL directional shear with latest GFS output confirming SRH-1 in excess of 200 m^/s^2. Modest forcing, favorable placement beneath the left exit of a powerful 500 hPa jet, a weakly capped air mass, a 70kt storm motion vector aligned near parallel to a LL wind shift/convergence zone and aforementioned CAPE increase confidence in numerous fast moving showers/isolated thunderstorms with some bowing (severe wind gust) and tornado potential. A compact line of deeper convection could also cause a swath of severe wind gusts. This wind gust risk extends also offshore (east of SE-UK) and may affect the Netherlands and Denmark between noon and the evening hours. Behind that convection, a temporal decrease of convection is forecast over S-UK. However, GFS/WRF show a tongue of slightly unstable air to reside over the Netherlands into Denmark during the evening and overnight hours. A few thunderstorms are possible and favorable directional and speed shear once again point to severe wind gusts and an isolated tornado threat. Hence the level 1 area was expanded well inland over the Netherlands and Denmark.

Around noon, an even more pronounced wave approaches Ireland from the west and affects UK during the late afternoon and evening hours. This one keeps directional shear enhanced although decreasing BL moisture and late timing should insert a weakening trend of onshore CAPE during the late afternoon and evening hours. With 850 hPa background flow increasing to 30 m/s it will be hard to distinguish between gusts from the gradient wind flow and convectively induced gusts. The risk however exists for severe to damaging wind gusts .. especially next to showers/isolated thunderstorms. An isolated funnel/tornado event can't be ruled out as well.

Finally a third wave with very cold mid-layer air (500 hPa below -35°C) pushes east towards Ireland. Rapid amplification of that wave into a large upper trough induces a slowdown and keeps that trough west of Ireland. Nevertheless, it taps into rather moist marine air west of Portugal, Spain and over the Bay of Biscay. Differential WAA increases mid-level lapse rates atop onshore streaming moist marine air over the Iberian Peninsula and France. Isolated to scattered elevated and non-severe thunderstorms are forecast. The westward facing coasts of N-Portugal and Spain however could see surface based activity with strong shear. Severe wind gusts, an isolated tornado event, heavy rain and marginal hail are possible with that activity. France was excluded due to the late arrivial of the trough (probably beyond 06Z).
    A similar risk is forecast for SW Spain between 00-06 Z. A tongue of subtropical air / high moisture points towards SW Spain with strong shear and moderate MLCAPE. Heavy rain, severe wind gusts and an isolated tornado event are possible.

For the rest of Europe no thunderstorm activity is anticipated (despite isolated storms south of Turkey beneath cooling mid-levels).

2014010406_201401030002_1_stormforecast.xml.png

• Advertisement

Thunder/lightning just east of Castlebar now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement