Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch & Coastal Flooding Events: January 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kerrywez

See here for the Meteo consult Marine forecast from Fastnet Rock to the Great Blasket http://marine.meteoconsult.co.uk/shipping-forecast/from-fastnet-rock-to-great-blasket/british-isles/weather-forecast_from-fastnet-rock-to-great-blasket_british-isles_inshore-area__14957_0.php

They are forecasting gust to Hurricane 12 with a steady Storm 10 from 00:00 to 06:00, that sounds very like what they were saying about the storm a week ago, but the duration is not as long as they were saying for it. This forecast is the one I use for fishing and have found it to be quite accurate all the time.

Regards Wez

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Looks great on Sat , i wonder if this one will have a sting jet.

1509839_10152540663078378_942661725_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Looking at the forecast wave heights for the K4 buoy, phenomenal 50+ft seas tomorrow....but then on Monday....

4PfmIoF.png

brucewillisdoubletake.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The timing of these storms is annoying cause most of us will be asleep again when this one arrives:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Yeah a shame from a storm watching point of view that all these storms keep peaking overnight

Getting quite windy here already but looks like it'll be windiest overnight and early tomorrow morning

• Advertisement

The threat of coastal flooding will be more significant than the winds from this I think. There won't be a whole lot to see unless you're living in coastal areas.

In the UK, the Environment Agency has started issuing severe flood warnings for coastal flooding for parts of Wales and Southwest England.
    Widespread Flood Warnings and Severe Flood Warnings will be in force. High spring tides and significant surge combined with large waves from the south west will lead to flooding at numerous locations. The worst effects will be on coasts that face a south-westerly direction. The Environment Agency is working with our professional partners to make necessary preparations.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Hooter23 wrote: »
    The timing of these storms is annoying cause most of us will be asleep again when this one arrives:mad:
    Harps wrote: »
    Yeah a shame from a storm watching point of view that all these storms keep peaking overnight

Getting quite windy here already but looks like it'll be windiest overnight and early tomorrow morning

I know, i keep waking up and thinking "whats all the fuss about, what storm" I sleep like a log once i've drifted off.

having said that it does keep the casualties at a minimum if it comes whilst we are all in our beds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Not unless you do an all nighter!

Last wind event there were plenty here on the thread. I finally gave in around 4am or so. The countryside was black, not a light in sight apart from vehicles on the go. It was great to get out in the wind ( safe to do so in my location as long as I stayed upwind of the house ) and experience the gusts :)

If you can find a lamp post or a back lit tree then that can be as good a night time location as any.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Whats the betting we get another red warning this evening

Cork :
    Cork CIty Tidal Flood Alert

Further to the tidal flood alert issued by Cork City Council on 30th December, there is a particular risk predicted for the evening tide period today Thursday 2nd January.
    CORK CITY TIDAL FLOOD ALERT

The natural cycle of High Tides for the following days is predicted for the times given below:

Thursday 02/01/14 18:12 hours

Friday 03/01/14 06:40 hours and 18:59 hours

Saturday 04/01/14 07:27 hours and 19:47 hours

Sunday 05/01/14 08:15 hours

A tidal surge & strong south to south easterly winds are predicted over the next number of days. These factors combined will increase the tide levels over the natural tide levels.

During this period, prior to and after these tides, there is a danger of Tidal Flooding in the City.

It is possible that flooding may occur in the low lying areas of the City Centre including in particular South Terrace, Trinity Bridge, Rutland Street, Cotter Street, Stable Lane, Union Quay, Morrisons Quay, Proby’s Quay, Frenchs Quay, Crosses Green, Sharman Crawford St, Wandesford Quay, Lavitts Quay, Kyrls Street & Kyrls Quay, Coal Quay and Lapps Quay

Other Areas at potential risk are South Mall, Oliver Plunkett Street, Pembroke St., Princes Street, Marlborough Street, Cook Street, Winthrop Street, Kennedy Quay, Centre Park Road, Monahan’s Road, Georges Quay, and the low lying areas of the City Centre.

Householders and businesses should take Precautionary Measures to protect property.

Galway :
    Flood Warning for Galway City on Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday at High Tide - City Council Issues Advisory - Thursday 2nd January 2014
    2 January 2014

Flood Warning for Galway City on Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday at High Tide- City Council Issues Advisory - Thursday, 2nd January 2014

Galway City Council is issuing an advisory regarding potential flooding on Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday (2nd - 5th January 2014) at High Tide times. The critical times are Thursday at 5.42pm (5.38 m), Friday 6.00am (5.69m) & 6.30pm (5.39m), Saturday 6.48am (5.66m) & 7.18pm (5.29m) and Sunday morning at 7.36am (5.49m)

The areas most likely to be affected are along the Promenade in Salthill and Grattan Road and at Fishmarket, Spanish Arch. The public is advised to have regard for their safety, particularly at High Tide in these areas.

The area around Spanish Arch, Flood Street and Spanish Parade are at risk of flooding around high tide and businesses and residents in the area are advised to put floodgates and sand-bags in place in advance of high tide, particularly in advance of the 6.00am high tide on Friday morning.

The car park at Toft Park beside the Atlantaquarium is liable to flood again in the hours around high tide and motorists are advised not to leave their cars there.

Galway City Council staff are on standby to deal with issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Something we haven't seen in storms over recent years is the actual occlusion swinging back over the country at the storm's peak. Although winds speeds don't look especially remarkable the combination of persistent, driving rain and strong winds certainly going to make for a rough night up in the NW.

286931.PNG

On the other topic, I personally love storms at night, adds profundity to them I think. :)

New Moon

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Dublin Fire Brigade were put on standby for possible flooding for Friday as far back as New Year's Eve, so they must be expecting some hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

when should we see peak winds ? Around midnight ?

Bigcheeze wrote: »

Between midnight-3am on the west coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Just looking at the swell forecast on Magicseaweed for Monday.....:eek:

http://magicseaweed.com/UK-Ireland-Surf-Chart/1/

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    On the other topic, I personally love storms at night, adds profundity to them I think. :)

Yes I agree storms at night are alot better pity these storms didnt start during evening time though as its practically night by 5 oclock these days its annoying watching the models for days only to sleep through the storm we have been waiting for....

Bigcheeze wrote: »

Between midnight and 06:00 should see the peak of the winds, but as for coastal flooding well high water will see them peak I would imagine,

but with 50 foot swells expected at Buoy M4 you have to consider them rolling in, so anything might happen.

Have BBC news on here, was bottling home brew and was listening to it in the kitchen, they are getting very concerned about this depression, All week, until recently, I have been watching the 5/6th depression, but it looks like it will fill a ltiile and head North, well west of the country, but I am still not ruling it out.

We now have a very depressing day in West Kerry, it has gone very dirty and dull the wind has picked up a bit, but the rain is now steady and quite heavy. I have just had a look out and the wind seems to be East/South East. A guy on a push bike has just gone past, heading in the direction of Killarney (East) and he is not going very fast and is out of the saddle trying to get into the wind.

Regards Wez

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I am going to go for max gust Mace Head 74 knots around 3am.

Max gust Dublin Airport 58 knots around 7am.

The storm does look quite potent at the moment on satellite imagery and is likely to hit the western coastline quite hard before it lessens in strength tracking northeast.

Yes I agree storms at night are alot better pity these storms didnt start during evening time though as its practically night by 5 oclock these days its annoying watching the models for days only to sleep through the storm we have been waiting for....

It would be fine if we had some electrical activity with these storms, but not much forecast with this guy, not that I have seem anyway.

Regards Wez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

I am going to go for max gust Mace Head 74 knots around 3am.

Max gust Dublin Airport 58 knots around 7am.

74knots would beat the St.Stephens days storm highest gust
    Will be close

• Advertisement

kerrywez wrote: »
    It would be fine if we had some electrical activity with these storms, but not much forecast with this guy, not that I have seem anyway.

Regards Wez

Well MT says in his forecast there will probably be some thunderstorm activity from evening time onwards.....hopefully

kerrywez wrote: »

Regards Wez

Slight risk for the south coast.

2014010306_201401012341_0_stormforecast.xml.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CMResilience

Thanks for all the updates. It's been helping here immensely as we plan for the impacts on the SW Coast of the UK. We're gone into Gold Command across the services. Flooding issues over the next 48 hrs. Watching the 6th / 7th with great interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Tide is high in Cork already. With a further two hours to high tide I would think flooding is going to happen at 6pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

There's usually heavy showers once the front passes through so potential for thunderstorms along the west coast I would think.

Nothing wrong with a night time storm but I live 10 minutes from 300m high Atlantic cliffs so it just feels like a missed opportunity when I can't go up to feel the full force of the storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Tide is high in Cork already. With a further two hours to high tide I would think flooding is going to happen at 6pm

well getting home from town should be fun. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

@ 3pm the M6 buoy was to 963.5hPa a fall of 12.2hPa in the previous from 12pm.

North of the low centre.

Update: @ 4pm to 959.5hPa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The ukmo has the low a tad closer at 1am tonight. Not far off a red alert imo

We now have about a 5, gusting 6 here and it seems to have shifted more to the South as well, the rain is still steady and what I would call moderate. It will be dark early tonight I would think, but it has been very dull and dark here for the past 2 1/2 hours. It is now starting to howl in the chimney and the letterbox is starting to rattle, and that is a sure sign that it is South now. I have a feeling that we will get the hit before midnight, here at any rate. Yes I can confirm that it is South now, I can see the rain being blown in the big puddles which have formed. I would expect the electricity to go tonight again, we lost it for near enough 8 hours last storm.

Regards Wez

• Advertisement

The ukmo has the low a tad closer at 1am tonight. Not far off a red alert imo

The mean wind speeds in the warning (up to 90 km/h) already meets the criteria for a red warning (80+ km/h) but the gusts are up to 130 km/h, not above 130, so thats why it's orange.

An orange warning feels right though since it won't be as severe, as long lasting or as widespread as the storm on the 26th.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement