Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch & Coastal Flooding Events: January 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Just starting to get rather interesting outside Limerick City.

Still boring at times yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Harps wrote: »
    Still totally uneventful here on the Donegal coast, bit of a breeze and a few showers. There's usually a gradual build up to the strongest winds but there's going to have to be a dramatic increase in the next few hours to get up to the forecast intensity.

Remember though the low is coming up from the southwest, so Donegal is largely sheltered until the low is getting north of Galway/Mayo. Not that it's going to be anything very severe by NW standards anyway. I still think the most significant thing will be risk of coastal flooding, but the exposed west coast is well used to strong gusts every winter.

14010221_0212.gif

14010306_0212.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kerrywez

Hooter23 wrote: »
    The storm is not that severe its just that tides are high at the same time as the storm and theres not much else news going on ......

Anyway winds starting to pick up here in Galway in last half hour or so

And your point is? The UK warnings are for flooding and what you get here, maybe some coastal flooding. Having seen the swell charts for the 6th and ME saying that there my be a bit of coastal flooding that day, they don't inspire confidence in me anyway.

Tomorrow morning's tides are bigger, 10 cms higher in Cork City and the swell will be bigger. Cork, Waterford and Tramore are all flooded tonight, so what does that tell you about the morning? Come the morning, when Galway may well be flooded, will you be singing the same tune then?

Regards Wez

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Couple of big gusts now in Cavan. I'd say watch out for falling trees!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

Aye, fierce quiet in Sligo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Fitzo wrote: »
    Aye, fierce quiet in Sligo.

Wait for it, just passing me in mayo on its way up to you. Considerably stronger gusts hitting now, seems to go calm then again for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 weathernut

Lovely quite night in east limerick ..... Stars out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Sorry not my pics, Lahinch a few mins ago, one from OLooneys FB page

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Getting blustery here now in Limerick City. Christmas Tree doing a little dance at times. Pouring rain.

Bins due out again... Could be very interesting again. We had our recycling bin out last Thursday night packed to the rim but closed. Some fecker (who feeds their dog pedigree chum pouches and gets Tesco glace cherries) put their recycling in on top of our bin, leaving it open to the winds. Woke up on Friday to newspaper and pizza boxes wallpapering the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Just in from driving and it's very wild out there just west of Dingle.
    Some severe gusts and heavy showers but still doesnt seem as bad as Dec 26th/27th. - yet.
    Tide had crossed the road past Ventry earlier but has receded now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kerrywez

It is going well here in West Kerry now and the showers are not that frequent, but heavy enough when they do come. I would be thinking along the lines of this storm hitting here at around 03:00, at it full force, maybe between then and 06:00. I hear nothing at all about the Shannon estuary, which is a perfect funnel, I would have thought that it was purpose made for a huge storm surge, bit like the Bristol Channel, on a smaller scale.

Regards Wez

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

maiden wrote: »
    Sorry not my pics, Lahinch a few mins ago, one from OLooneys FB page

I'd say its fab there if you are off the ground with secure windows and slates!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Hooter23

kerrywez wrote: »
    And your point is? The UK warnings are for flooding and what you get here, maybe some coastal flooding. Having seen the swell charts for the 6th and ME saying that there my be a bit of coastal flooding that day, they don't inspire confidence in me anyway.

Tomorrow morning's tides are bigger, 10 cms higher in Cork City and the swell will be bigger. Cork, Waterford and Tramore are all flooded tonight, so what does that tell you about the morning? Come the morning, when Galway may well be flooded, will you be singing the same tune then?

Regards Wez

:confused:Were ye not warned of flooding wasnt it on the news wasnt it on the radio wasnt it on the internet:confused: what more do you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Met Eireann are the National Weather Service when they issue warnings people need to take heed, they improved the warning system last year with colour codes to simplify it, I'm not sure what more they can do, if people ignore the warnings thats their fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Fairly calm again here in West Limerick.

Although as I type this there has been a nice gust.

Looking forward to things livening up later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Just passed Galway Hospital and Coastguard Helicopter was landing in very strong wind, very brave guys in these conditions

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Its blustery here in Castlebar, it sounds high, but nothing to concerned with, just sick to the face at this stage of the wind!! Time for a stove or block up the chimney!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Miss Stormyseas

Some very strong gusts in Galway in the last few mins, really beginning to pick up now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

I cannot understand how anyone from the Cork area could not be aware of the threat of flooding in Cork City and yet we see all these cars parked in the middle of the floods. Can anyone please explain this one other than pure stupidity??? or am I missing something?

there were cars on morrison's island as well, which is prone, people knew about the flood warning in those areas. i can't imagine the insurance companies being too generous paying out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Here we go.....really gettin lively here in Galway now as that band of rain moves in awful out there now big change in just few minutes!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭tfromkerry

Starting to get very windy here in south Kerry for the last 30mins

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭littlema

According to Sky news we are doomed......they spent upwards of 6 minutes on weather topics.....so,either very bad storm, or a quiet night on the news front! Just a few good gusts here yet in South Sligo, so will chance going to bed now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Wind is getting strong in North Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

just made my mind up. a weather station has been ordered. i'm fed up posting thats its blowing like f@ck when its blowing like f@ck but not know what speed it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Here we go.....really gettin lively here in Galway now as that band of rain moves in awful out there now big change in just few minutes!

I don't know, just out with the dog there and it seemed pretty tame for 11pm. Not much rain at all.

I don't think any weather records will be broken tonight by any means.

Lough Corrib is very high though so the River Corrib must all gates open at the weir. This could lead to flooding in the city itself on the high morning tide.

I reckon any of the weak trees have been knocked already in the previous bad weather so ESB should be fine for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

Is that guy ken still on boards?would be interesting to hear his take on this weather

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

aboyro wrote: »
    just made my mind up. a weather station has been ordered. i'm fed up posting thats its blowing like f@ck when its blowing like f@ck but not know what speed it is.

You want it 10m high now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

aboyro wrote: »
    holy crap. the pill has overflowed. thats not good advertising for the flood controls!!!!

What is the Pill?

<Mod Snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Tis getting a bit breezy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

a0ifee wrote: »
    was planning on going into cork city tomorrow but I'm unsure after seeing pictures of flooding...could I chance it?

ahhhh sure get yourself a canoe and you'll be grand ;)
    little ma wrote: »
    According to Sky news we are doomed......they spent upwards of 6 minutes on weather topics.....so,either very bad storm, or a quiet night on the news front! Just a few good gusts here yet in South Sligo, so will chance going to bed now :)

sky news are hyping it up, doing a special at 6am tomorrow morning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement