Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Wind Storm late 26th-27th December

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Is it too late for me to buy a fall out shelter online? Last storm was overly hyped, am not buying into it for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭pad199207

Looking at the Sat it's making a bee line for Ireland. Seems to be on track so

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Real calm before the storm now, a beautiful sunny winter's morning.

You really would have no clue a big storm is on the way!

One of the most impressive gradients i've ever seen on WZ over Ireland at this range for the storm.

Rtavn241.png

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

Is it too late for me to buy a fall out shelter online? Last storm was overly hyped, am not buying into it for this one.

better for people considering travelling etc for it to be overly hyped....
    The five year old girl who died on Christmas Day in Galway due to a crash because of the winds a week ago is testament to that. have a think of her everyone before you go driving tonight x

dharma200 wrote: »
    better for people considering travelling etc for it to be overly hyped....
    The five year old girl who died on Christmas Day in Galway due to a crash because of the winds a week ago is testament to that. have a think of her everyone before you go driving tonight x

Maybe, but people crash in good weather too :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kerrywez

horsefarm wrote: »
    When was the last red alert? Just trying to gauge the warning off previous storms.
    Flights from Dublin to NY tomorrow will be affected I assume?

As a matter of fact it was just a few weeks, if that ago.

Wez

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

I had hoped to head home to Achill tomorrow morning. Ah well...
    It's been very rough down there this past week so I can just imagine what this one will bring.... Squall after squall after squall.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

leahyl wrote: »
    What are your thoughts on the severity for Cork Maq?

I think for places down around the Bantry area it could be severe but further up the coast Cork City is more sheltered and it looks like the winds could be mostly parallel to the coast there rather that roaring in from the sea. Still looks like gales or strong gales would be possible though. 100+ km/h gusts will be widespread anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Some thing people seem to forget is how most of the previous action was by and large confined to the North and West. This looks to be a direct hit for allot of Ireland and almost all counties will see high winds and heavy rain. Most of the destruction is going to be along the South and West Coastal Counties but for gods sake don't take these warnings for a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Picture of Nephin mountain today. Layer of Cirrus pushing in now. It's a comin........

286028.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

People do... The crash she died in was directly attributed to bad weather, on a motorway, wind and driver error.

There are crashes every day... There was a travel warning... As there is now.
    People will be every more at risk of making bad decisions, such as the driver of the car the little girl died in, when they think the forecast is now hyped. People may be more inclined to drive etc due to the last predicted storm not being as bad as first thought.
    if we all realise it potentially could be way way worse, then maybe someone who might make the decision to travel in a car tonight might change their mind. X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

The Met office have updated their Wind warning to include all of Northern Ireland. They go for gusts of 50/60mp/h over land and 70/80mp/h on coasts and high ground. So 50/60 for most over land in the North is nothing to write home about.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=ni&fcTime=1388016000

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Rosier

Correction. that was not a crash. The family car got literally blown across the road so this was a direct result of the winds.

someone yesterday wrote of driving in this weather; poor man had to change his trousers.

and please spare a thought for the emergency services in this weather, especially high sided ambulances.

when you take risks knowingly it is not just your life you are playing with.

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    Some thing people seem to forget is how most of the previous action was by and large confined to the North and West. This looks to be a direct hit for allot of Ireland and almost all counties will see high winds and heavy rain. Most of the destruction is going to be along the South and West Coastal Counties but for gods sake don't take these warnings for a laugh.

The difference between the previous red warning and this one is that the previous storm quickly brushed up along the west coast, this time the swathe of severe winds is aimed more directly towards us, which means strong winds lasting longer and pushing further inland.

dharma200 wrote: »
    People do... The crash she died in was directly attributed to bad weather, on a motorway, wind and driver error.

There are crashes every day... There was a travel warning... As there is now.
    People will be every more at risk of making bad decisions, such as the driver of the car the little girl died in, when they think the forecast is now hyped. People may be more inclined to drive etc due to the last predicted storm not being as bad as first thought.
    if we all realise it potentially could be way way worse, then maybe someone who might make the decision to travel in a car tonight might change their mind. X

apologies; took me so long to log in and you posted while I was doing that

Weathering wrote: »
    The Met office have updated their Wind warning to include all of Northern Ireland. They go for gusts of 50/60mp/h over land and 70/80mp/h on coasts and high ground. So 50/60 for most over land in the North is nothing to write home about.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=ni&fcTime=1388016000

Northern part of the country is the lowest area at risk of strong winds from this.

Rosier wrote: »
    Correction. that was not a crash. The family car got literally blown across the road so this was a direct result of the winds.

someone yesterday wrote of driving in this weather; poor man had to change his trousers.

and please spare a thought for the emergency services in this weather, especially high sided ambulances.

when you take risks knowingly it is not just your life you are playing with.

There was also an advisory not to travel the last time out. I live in West Connemara, drove into Galway city, out to East Galway, and back home during the night. Compared to the warnings it was a damp squib, and we were supposed to be directly in the firing line, just like this time.

There was also an advisory not to travel the last time out. I live in West Connemara, drove into Galway city, out to East Galway, and back home during the night. Compared to the warnings it was a damp squib, and we were supposed to be directly in the firing line, just like this time.

well OK; is that not safer than ignoring the warnings. I am in south Kerry and it was wild here and will be tonight. Because of the forecast I did my shopping last Saturday and have not been out since

weather forecasting is not an exact science; it could have been different.so yes it was foolhardy to be out like that.

your call; but expect no sympathy!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Weathering wrote: »

it is, for places not used to it. 50/60 mph gusts is unsual well inland.
    also bear in mind the best/worst of it is likely to be in the west, south west, this time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Yes I know. I'm just stating how much of a non-event it is for northern regions

• Advertisement

Rosier wrote: »
    weather forecasting is not an exact science; it could have been different.so yes it was foolhardy to be out like that.

Not when the warning was hyped. There is a similarity happening between snowbunnitis and stormbunnitis, people wanting it to be bad. I live right on the West coast I can see Mace head from where I am typing this, well used to a bit of wind.

Hoping the wind stays westerly or with some south as there are unstable trees near the house; the man whose land they are on will not deal with them so we are waiting to get a court order.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Whahey!

Just saw on Rte that theres a code red for parts of Clare, Galway, Kerry, Mayo, Waterford and Wexford. I didn't think Wexford was going to be getting it bad, thought it would have been mainly the northern areas most effected! :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Why the need for the bad weather to directly hit people for them to understand it was bad weather? Just because you weren't badly hit doesn't mean others weren't.

We are a complicated little country weather wise and with 17k homes with no power in Galway, a little girl dead as a direct result of weather means that storm was anything but a damp squib. The weather warning was necessary.

And back on topic which is this storm, whatever it might turn out to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Warnings have been issued by our national met office and on this thread,its is up to us weater we heed them ,a warning does not mean the worst will happen a shift of 50 miles in the track of the storm can make a huge difference in where the worst of the winds will be,Thats where now casting comes in and the excellent posters on this tread do a great job doing that.one of the reasions the last storm may not have been so bad was the second low got sucked in to the main low quicker than expert forecaster thought and quicker than the best posters on here thought.
    Weather forecasting is not an precise art

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

Any chance we can get this thread back on topic? I didnt come on to thrawl through pages of people discussing if this thing is over hyped or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭chilipepper

Cork is now included in the red warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

People asking is it safe to drive here there and everywhere l would say at the moment and fir the next 5/6 hours absolutely. After that check here and met eireann and use your head.....wouldn't be cancelling any plans for travel for a while though

Latest fax chart for 6am tomorrow.

PPVE89.gif?31415

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

Hey guys, was thinking of visiting family in dundrum. I'd be travelling from laois but am a very Nervous driver, is it gonna be bad in My parts!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement