Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Wind Storm late 26th-27th December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I just think it sounds too much like impending doom is at hand. Avoiding travel and staying indoors is good advice, but seek shelter sounds like people diving from their cars to avoid a meteor strike to me. :p

Yes, and what's your point?? :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

leahyl wrote: »
    Yes, and what's your point?? :-P

Code purple for Cork. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Us rebels are always on red alert!

you make a very good point :D

Well I'm making it a red alert for Cork as well, we're not missing out on this one :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daelight

Last few pages have been needless nit picking about who's house is red or orange - this is a serious storm event, the experts have given much analysis - now Keep Calm and Seek Shelter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

When was the last red alert? Just trying to gauge the warning off previous storms.
    Flights from Dublin to NY tomorrow will be affected I assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Leaving cork out of the warning doesnt worry me. I can read the charts myself and know my city. Cork is right on the coast and is first to flood and see damage under this kind of set up.
    Cork airport will report a gust of over 90mph is my call. To put Waterford in and not Cork is just smart ass stuff. Its the second city in Ireland and has largest population outside of the pale! !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

No part of the UK even set to amber as of yet. Although this event is making more of a direct hit here, if a red warning is out for Wexford and Waterford would a UK amber warning at least not be needed for south west Wales and Cornwall?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

leahyl wrote: »
    Serious question though, why are we not includes in the red alert? Not saying that orange isn't serous but can't see why we would not be included in red alert??!

The Cork weather shield does exist. MT went to great length in 2010 to explain it in minute detail. We are effectively shielded from three side for major events coming our way, this has the effect of almost completely blocking snow and exceptionally heavy precipitation and wind and wind gusts are also lowered.

In any case where the wind shifts to our South East and East is when we are at our most vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

was planning on driving mayo to meath tomorrow, which now doesnt sound like such a good idea..although it is driving away from the worst of it.. whens it due to ease off lads.. the warning is til 3 o clock or is the whole day a wipeout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭Storm 10

From a safety point of view thousands of people will be on the move today, visiting family and friends, attending sporting events etc so the warnings should be going out on radio

Storm 10 wrote: »
    From a safety point of view thousands of people will be on the move today, visiting family and friends, attending sporting events etc so the warnings should be going out on radio

It was the first story on the 8am news.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Storm 10 wrote: »

Listen to the news (on radio) at 11.00...it has been the No. 1 headline all morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Peoples' Republic of Cork, Independent Weather Service:

Forecast:
    Thurs 15:00: 30km/h wind, 0mm/h precipitation.
    Thurs 21:00: 51km/h wind, 1.5mm/hr precipitation.
    Friday 00:00: 55km/h wind. .9mm/h precipitation
    Friday 03:00: 66km/h wind, 0mm/h precipitation
    Friday 06:00: 58km/h wind, 0mm/h precipitation

:) I'm going for a Pink Alert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

What time is this storm to hit galway at ? At the moment its hard to believe its going to get so bad

On a more serious note, this will probably be the most significant storm for some areas since 1997.

But for other areas, it will be the most significant since last Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Going to be copious amounts of taxi's and cars out late into Friday morning. Hope all can stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Seek Shelter warning :eek:, now i cant get the air raid siren sound out of my head since i 1st read the headline.

Luckily i will be in shelter, down the local for a few pints :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Seek shelter probably means at home. For people out and about, or staying in campers. I can't see us all fitting into a homeless shelter.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Listen to the news (on radio) at 11.00...it has been the No. 1 headline all morning.

Well it was not no1 which surprised me but its RTE nothing new there

• Advertisement

DOCARCH wrote: »

Well it was not no1 which surprised me but its RTE nothing new there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Its the second city in Ireland

Thanks for finally clearing that up :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Seems us in Galway or west in General will get the worst of it,or most of it :)
    Would like to see how Galway bay holds up but might be a bit mad to go out there tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Have just cancelled plans to drive from Wicklow to the in-laws in Meath tonight. Better to be safe than sorry.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

cotton wrote: »
    Have just cancelled plans to drive from Wicklow to the in-laws in Meath tonight. Better to be safe than sorry.:)

I often get afraid of my in-laws too!! :D:D:D:D

(Sorry - couldn't resist!)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Terry Wogans Inner Thigh

So Sligo should escape the worst of it and I can go for pints tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

On a more serious note, this will probably be the most significant storm for some areas since 1997.

But for other areas, it will be the most significant since last Wednesday.
    This could be the storm you've been waiting on Maq since then :)

delw wrote: »
    This could be the storm you've been waiting on Maq since then :)

I'm not expecting it to be on that kind of level for where I am in the southeast. Along the coast and in parts of Wexford it could be quite severe though.

It'll be an interesting storm to watch develop though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Just want to says thanks to everyone, I was planning to head from Galway to Dublin tomorrow but because of the info. here I have changed it to NOW.
    As much as I want to stay and experience the storm, family safety comes first.

• Advertisement

I'm not expecting it to be on that kind of level for where I am in the southeast. Along the coast and in parts of Wexford it could be quite severe though.

It'll be an interesting storm to watch develop though!

What are your thoughts on the severity for Cork Maq?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement