Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Wind Storm late 26th-27th December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Red warning is for Wexford, Galway, Mayo, Clare, Kerry and Waterford.

They will probably put out an Orange for other counties soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

Would travel Athlone-Dublin and back be advised today?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

thats some prediction. kerry, waterford and wexford getting hit on the south coast and ok for cork!! thats narrowing it down a bit too much i would have thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

They've a red alert for kerry and Waterford but skipped cork lol. Explain that one haha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 Cliky

noah45 wrote: »

No. You'd be taking your life in your hands. Cheak out what red warnings mean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Villain wrote: »
    Updated to red now

Not wanting to knock them but that is very late given the storm is not too far away

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

how has cork escaped from this?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

sunbabe08 wrote: »

Cork snow shield converts to storm shield in milder weather !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Orange warning for rest of the Country plus the risk of coastal flooding for the NW

Is there any chance we can take out the "seek shelter" part of the thread title or change it to something else? I just think that wording is too dramatic rather than being helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Tbh the warning is misleading while the red alert covers those counties a yellow alert for the rest of minster and Leinster should be in affect.

Ahh just updated with orange alert for the rest of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Is there any chance we can take out the "seek shelter" part of the thread title or change it to something else? I just think that wording is too dramatic rather than being helpful.

Ze Germans are coming

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭faktisperminute

MET changed the warning to status RED now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

What the hell is the deal with an orange alert for cork and red for the rest of the counties along the south coast?! The mind boggles!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

No can do unfortunately - if we want to use the red warning thread heading the text is set.
    I agree btw, the 'seek shelter' element is overly dramatic
    Best I can do is remove the preset warning and type it in ordinary font - thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

noah45 wrote: »

Depends on when you need to be back in Dublin by.

If back by tomorrow is necessary then plan to leave soon.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best.
    Failing to plan is planning to fail.

I know this is something I say a lot but it really does help. For example last night it rained on a freezing and untreated motorway. The road surface tirned into a skating rink. I stopped and got my vehicle off the road. With me I carry a "winter pack". Last night the fleece top, hat and blanket were of use. I was able to stay warm without needing to have the engine running. So fuel was conserved. An hour or so later there was a heavy shower and a slight increase in temperature, which resulted in an improvement in road conditions allowing me yp get moving again.

So by planning for the worst situation, I had suitable items with me in the event of an interrupted journey. Which came to pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

The High Risk Seek Shelter can't be changed by us Maq. The tech team of boards have to do that.
    However would you not want to seek shelter in areas with the red warning. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

sunbabe08 wrote: »

Independent Peoples Republic isn't it, therefore no longer covered by ME. You'll have to get your own met service. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

They've a red alert for kerry and Waterford but skipped cork lol. Explain that one haha

Jumped over limerick as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Redsunset wrote: »
    However would you not want to seek shelter in areas with the red warning. Just my opinion.
    Maybe 'Avoid Unnecessary Travel' might be better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

What time roughly is storm meant to hit us? Extremely calm at moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 Cliky

Lumi wrote: »
    No can do unfortunately - if we want to use the red warning thread heading the text is set.
    Best I can do is remove the preset warning and type it in ordinary font - thoughts?

This is a potentially life threatening event so it should be left as is

Don't you know that Cork snow Shields have been upgraded to manage wind too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭faktisperminute

Don't you know that Cork snow Shields have been upgraded to manage wind too. :D
    I didn't know heaven existed in Ireland :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Serious question though, why are we not includes in the red alert? Not saying that orange isn't serous but can't see why we would not be included in red alert??!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Lumi wrote: »

I would say change it manually, we're talking about a borderline Orange/Red event, not a once in a generation type storm, it is a bit too dramatic sounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

leahyl wrote: »
    Serious question though, why are we not includes in the red alert? Not saying that orange isn't serous but can't see why we would not be included in red alert??!

Us rebels are always on red alert!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Weathering wrote: »
    Ze Germans are coming

"Duck and Cover"

QUOTE=Lumi;88159692]Maybe 'Avoid Unnecessary Travel' might be better[/QUOTE]

But then there's a contradiction if we take it out because the red warning means to seek shelter as worded by Met Éireann

STATUS RED - Severe Weather Warning - Take Action

The issue of RED level severe weather warnings should be a comparatively rare event and implies that recipients take action to protect themselves and/or their properties; this could be by moving their families out of the danger zone temporarily; by staying indoors; or by other specific actions aimed at mitigating the effects of the weather conditions.

• Advertisement

The High Risk Seek Shelter can't be changed by us Maq. The tech team of boards have to do that.

I just think it sounds too much like impending doom is at hand. Avoiding travel and staying indoors is good advice, but seek shelter sounds like people diving from their cars to avoid a meteor strike to me. :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement