Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Wind Storm late 26th-27th December

Options
1717273747577»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Autorotation

Weathering wrote: »
    Hurricane force gust. Third time it has happened this month at mace head.
    Not comparable to a hurricane in terms of mean speeds, far from it

With regard to the Beaufort Wind Scale, a hurricane needs sustained average winds of 64kts or more - gusts do not count. Gusts DO count where a severe storm (force 11) is encountered, where gusts can be from 69kts or anything over. Therefore a 'hurricane force gust' does not exist in meteorology; rather it is a term the media use for drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

A nice time to call this thread a day i think! ... I myself am very confident that all the warnings that eventually got out before the storm arrived may have saved a life somewhere.

Well done all.

Now.... off to the FI thread ! :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Iancar29 wrote: »
    A nice time to call this thread a day i think! ... I myself am very confident that all the warnings that eventually got out before the storm arrived may have saved a life somewhere.

Well done all.

Now.... off to the FI thread ! :D
    agree 100% re the warnings.

MTC's after hours thread will be MUCH more fun:mad:

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Yes, time to bring this one to a close
    Discussion continues here:

WINTER WEATHER 2013/2014

Winter 2013/2014 FI Charts

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion Winter 2013/14

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

It was a lovely summer this year, best in years. Two weeks of nice weather in June, incredible weather for all of July and even a nice week or two in August.

Even November was dry and mild this year!!

Warmest July on record at stations in the west, southwest and midlands. All other stations had the warnest July for 7-30 years. Highest mean monthly temperature for Valentia since records began in 1893.

About as good as you can get for a country like Ireland that doesnt get months of settled weather. Could be a long time before we see another warm spell like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

:eek::eek::eek:

What kind of Witchcraft be this!!!

Slashermcguirk!! Be you a warlock or wizard or some such sorcerer??

How did thee pry the locked gates of this thread asunder??!!

:eek::eek::eek:

It was temporarily reopened by request to allow an update on the Dublin to Holyhead ferry journey & some pics to be posted
    Slashermcguirk snuck in.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Rosier

dear gentle mods and others...

I know some of us drive the techie experts mad so am starting this so we can vent and tell our stories...

I am briefly in Killarney on free wifi as my service died in the great st stephens night storm.. I live in the wild mountains and the only way I can get broadband is digiweb and I use blueface for calls. no mobile network up there,,, seems the gale shifted the dish...

so on sat urday morning I sallied forth to seek the bright lights and free wifi of Killarney... drove down the lane, round a blind bend.. whooooaahhh!

a great ancient behemoth of a conifer down across the lane..... so I left the car there as reversing a narrow farm track with soft verges and drainage ditches in the dark is beyond me.. trekked the half mile home...my days of climbing trees as I am old now are no more....

this is a private lane; a good landlord but it was christmas.... so the days have passed.. with no radio or tv it was very quiet...the world out t here did not exist...

It was only last night when worried relatives overseas finally managed to get through to the landlord that he came.. when he rounded the bend and saw the car through the tree he thought I was in it and crushed.. he was in bits when he got to the house.. shaking he was

two hours later, it was the tree that is in bits;; will get all the wood he says..

so I have emailed digiweb etc ,stocked up with food as the roads are bad and flooding is next on the list... I hope that there will be a lot of good tales of derring do when I get back on line,,, no idea when that will be so here we go again....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement