Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlatan "girl against flouride" finally exposed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,525 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

srsly78 wrote: »
    Do you think Homeopaths should be allowed to marry or not???

Only of they agree to raise their children as scientists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭BlutendeRabe

hansfrei wrote: »
    She has less clothes on. I prefer her story.

Fine, next time there's a government report supporting the fluoridation of water; during the press conference, the presenters will be naked and we'll hire some well endowed Brazilian bikini models to serve water to any parched journalists or cameramen.

That is missing the point and miscontruing the thread.

I have never said anywhere in this thread that everyone who is anti flouride is homophobic and thick.

The point of this thread is to show that one of the main proponents of the anti fluoride campaign cannot and should not be taken seriously. If she is going to make informed scientific arguments then it is important to point out that her qualifications to make those arguments are extremely questionable.

Ok we won't take her seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,034 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

nullzero wrote: »
    Ok we won't take her seriously.
    If only it were that simple.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭ArtyM

So surely the government can just add some piss and castor oil in with the fluoride and counterbalance against the cancer?

It has been a while since I laughed out loud, so thanks for that!
    :D

• Advertisement

What does that statement mean? How difficult is "it"? And was is "it" for that matter?

What does that statement mean? How difficult is "it"? And was is "it" for that matter?

"It" is Irish people taking her campaign seriously

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

"It" is Irish people taking her campaign seriously

"It" seems to be you making everyone agree with your beliefs. Here's a little nugget of wisdom; more people in Ireland agree with you than agree with her. Let the others have their beliefs. Does everyone have to conform to your ideals?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭hansfrei

'Tis a wider matter alright.

Would you want to buy flouridated soft drinks?
    Flouridated beer?
    Shaggin' flouridated bottled tap water?

Who the feck wants the stuff? Nobody. We cant sell a green image to forigners when ****e we're selling comes from, or gets processed in, flouridated pish wahter.

"It" seems to be you making everyone agree with your beliefs. Here's a little nugget of wisdom; more people in Ireland agree with you than agree with her. Let the others have their beliefs. Does everyone have to conform to your ideals?

Nope not at all.
    It's about pointing out the dangerous idiocy of her beliefs so that serious decision makers do not rashly decide on a public healthcare issue.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Nope not at all.
    It's about pointing out the dangerous idiocy of her beliefs so that serious decision makers do not rashly decide on a public healthcare issue.

Lots of people hold strange opinions. You casting the first stone MS?

Lots of people hold strange opinions. You casting the first stone MS?

The question is should "strange" opinions be used to influence public healthcare policy? Or should we make evidence based public healthcare policy?

Terry Pratchet

The question is should "strange" opinions be used to influence public healthcare policy? Or should we make evidence based public healthcare policy?

Lol. Public healthcare policy could give a fcuk.

Public healthcare policy in this country mortgaged a publicly owned building to secure finance from a corrupt bank. That how public heathCare policy rolls.

Lol. Public healthcare policy could give a fcuk.

Public healthcare policy in this country mortgaged a publicly owned building to secure finance from a corrupt bank. That how public heathCare policy rolls.

Indeed. It woz the banks what did it.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

"It" seems to be you making everyone agree with your beliefs. Here's a little nugget of wisdom; more people in Ireland agree with you than agree with her.

Just an observation, but I find most people I mention it to are unaware that so many other countries have banned/removed fluoride from their water.

Again: I wonder why we still have it?

***Like her or not, she sure know how to get attention on the issue, lol:
    https://www.facebook.com/TheGirlAgainstFluoride

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

That is missing the point and miscontruing the thread.

I have never said anywhere in this thread that everyone who is anti flouride is homophobic and thick.

The point of this thread is to show that one of the main proponents of the anti fluoride campaign cannot and should not be taken seriously. If she is going to make informed scientific arguments then it is important to point out that her qualifications to make those arguments are extremely questionable.

Wait, let me get this straight. All you did was post links to blog entries by one gobsh!te who calls out the foolishness of another gobsh!te and you're suprised people arent fawning over you for the revelantion?

Just because the girls comments were rather stupid and her qualifications dont really qualify her for anything, doesnt mean someone calling her out tit for tat makes it part of the overall discussion for pro/anti flouridation. Its just pointing the finger at someone and laughing at them because they dont know what they are talking about.

Howd you expect this to be taken seriously?

Amazingfun wrote: »
    Just an observation, but I find most people I mention it to are unaware that so many other countries have banned/removed fluoride from their water.

Again: I wonder why we still have it?

***Like her or not, she sure know how to get attention on the issue, lol:
    https://www.facebook.com/TheGirlAgainstFluoride

Some ministers uncle is gettong money off the flouride company. Or some TD is using the flouride as an expense in his constituency to finance his daughters house. Or something.
    Sure isn't for your good health anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I really have despaired at Irish people over the last year or two who were taken by this clueless conspiracy theorist and am delighted that she is being finally exposed. I am delighted her previous supporters are now starting to withdraw their support. Luke Ming Flanagan announced the other day he no longer supports her.

where did luke flanagan disassociate himself with her?
    Luke Ming Flanagan ‏@lukeming

@geoffsshorts sadly it's becoming obvious that I was too available for @FluorideGirl
    ah just found it https://twitter.com/lukeming/status/413611859007512576 thanks corkfeen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Flouride is bad for you. Theres loads of science to back that statement up somewhere, probably. Anyway I don't want it in my water.
    Fluoride in exceedingly high concentrations is bad for you. However the amount of fluoride in our water is exceedingly low and at a perfectly safe level. All research points to this being true and there's no science to back you up.
    It's not about attacking her. It is simply demonstrating that her campaign and her campaign team cannot be taken seriously.
    Perfectly correct,the group don't really go for the scientific method in any way and the more extreme side of the anti-fluoride side prefer to blame big pharma when the facts get in the way.
    where did luke flanagan dissaociate himself with her?

Here you go. Seems to regret the close relationship upon it coming to his attention.
    https://twitter.com/lukeming/status/413611859007512576

I just saw this on her FB page:
    FLUORIDE FREE WATER

Silicofluoride chemicals are added to public water supplies in only a few countries in the World. No toxicological testing has ever been undertaken on the silicofluoride chemicals added to drinking water. This website was set up to help educate the public on the human health and environmental impacts of silicofluoride and fluoride based compounds in water so that the public as consumers may be better informed of the risks.
    This is the private blog of Declan Waugh Environmental Scientist.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Risk Factors and Cancer Incidence in Ireland and Implications for Water Fluoridation and Public Health.

To: Dr. Harry Comber, National Cancer Registry Ireland
    Cc: Mr. Enda Kenny T.D. Department of the Taoiseagh
    Dr. James O Reilly T.D. Minister for Health
    Mr. Simon Coveney T.D. Minister For Agriculture, Food and Fisheries
    Mr. Phil Hogan T.D. Minister for Environment, Community and Local Government
    Dr. Tony Holohan, Chief Medical Officer, HSE
    Dr. Ivan Perry, Professor of Public Health Department of Epidemiology & Public Health, University College Cork
    Ms. Laura Burke, Director General, Environmental Protection Agency

Risk Factors and Cancer Incidence in Ireland and Implications for Water Fluoridation and Public Health.
    Dear Sirs

I am writing to you regarding the information provided in the National Cancer Registry Ireland (NCRI) cancer statistic maps. As you know these maps illustrate the geographical spread of cancer diseases and identify areas of high and low risk for the 32 countries of Ireland.

What is one of the most obvious and interesting facts in these illustrations is that Northern Ireland is identified as predominantly the lowest risk area for developing cancer diseases throughout the 32 counties of Ireland. In fact it is astonishing to see that the relative risk of developing cancer actually mirrors the geographic area demarcating the border between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland for some notable cancers (see fig 1. attached).
    More here:
    http://ffwireland.blogspot.ie/2012/08/risk-factors-and-cancer-incidence-in.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

and I found this on the people who produced the maps page http://www.qub.ac.uk/research-centres/nicr/nicr/MisinterpretationofAll-IrelandCancerAtlas1995-2007/
    Although the bulk of the population in the Republic of Ireland lives in cities and large towns, where the water is fluoridated, most of the area shown on the map is sparsely populated and without fluoridated water supplies, so water fluoridation cannot be suggested as an explanation for the patterns seen
    etc

the main map she used was for leukemia, i think geoff short had blog on this where he pointed out that there seems to less leukemia in donegal too, even thought they get as much flouride as other areas in ireland do (relattive the amount of urban area they have as explained above)

I posted that because I had just read (in the post above) that
    the group don't really go for the scientific method in any way
    , and then I see Declan Waugh's material all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I posted that because I had just read (in the post above) that , and then I see Declan Waugh's material all over the place.

But this doesn't necessarily mean scientific method is being followed,Waugh misinterpreted cancer stats in your example to suit his agenda. Waugh has an article published in Hotpress rambling about dangers of fluoride but his claims don't stand up to scrutiny. There's nothing scientific about such a methodology. Peer reviewed research to backup claims would be something but they don't have that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

WS Gilbert gets it in one. If you like to get to get to the nitty head to 1 min 40 secs ......... otherwise enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I posted that because I had just read (in the post above) that , and then I see Declan Waugh's material all over the place.

Nah, the antifloro it's toxicwastebyproductpoison only go for science when it suits them and as can be seen in that example don't actually know what they're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

'Finally exposed'!!

Isn't exposing herself how she started it all?

She IS trying to sell a naked calender on her website (no preview pics though...)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Call me crazy but I'd rather juat have a clean water supply with as few additives as possible. It is not for the state to decide if I need fluoride supplements.

Edit: if the state were to foot the bill for all my dental needs then it should certainty have a say. But it doesn't, so it shouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

OP i can't read will you call me up and explain to me what is going on in this thread.

So can you imagine what it is like for me, I can't even see. I'll need someone to post a 'talkie' post to try and figure out what's going on.

So can you imagine what it is like for me, I can't even see. I'll need someone to post a 'talkie' post to try and figure out what's going on.
    Do you not have JAWS?

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

anyone who believes anyone these days is a gullible fool

Advertisement