Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlatan "girl against flouride" finally exposed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,055 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

lostdisk wrote: »
    Have you read any of the counter arguments? Is it likely you're going ti change your mind?

Counterarguments that TGAF should ge taken seriously?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,055 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Lay off the flouride for a while.

Does it cause dyslexia now?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭stuar

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Plenty of things are highly toxic in high concentrations but are perfectly fine at low levels. Water is toxic if ingested in large enough quantities.

:rolleyes:Exactly!

Children getting 250 times more fluoride than nature intended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Does it cause dyslexia now?

the self-raising flouride does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

stuar wrote: »
    :rolleyes:Exactly!

Children getting 250 times more fluoride than nature intended.

The levels of fluoride are 250 times that of mother's milk. What an awful argument. Nature also didn't intend humans to fly, does that make it bad? Humans live to far greater ages now that aren't as the result of nature rather modern medicine. However living to an older age means that decreasing tooth decay in our lifetime would be preferable as we need them for much longer. Toothpaste also isn't natural, should we cease use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Am I supposed to re-arrange those words to form a sentence?

Lay off the flouride for a while.

You've got to be kidding me. I've been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Humans live to far greater ages now that aren't as the result of nature rather modern medicine. However living to an older age means that decreasing tooth decay in our lifetime would be preferable as we need them for much longer. Toothpaste also isn't natural, should we cease use?

Good points.

Life expectancy for a white American woman in 1930 was 61.6.
    In 2010 it was 81.1.

Source: http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005148.html

20 more years of teeth washing in 2010 than in 1930.

I use Euthymol toothpaste. I like the taste. I really don't have a problem with fluroide.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭lostdisk

The levels of fluoride are 250 times that of mother's milk. What an awful argument. Nature also didn't intend humans to fly, does that make it bad? Humans live to far greater ages now that aren't as the result of nature rather modern medicine. However living to an older age means that decreasing tooth decay in our lifetime would be preferable as we need them for much longer. Toothpaste also isn't natural, should we cease use?

So countries that don't fluoridate the water supply are full of gummy young dead people?

Fluoride vs the zombie apocalypse.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

Aineoil wrote: »

Life expectancy for a white American woman in 1930 was 61.6.
    In 2010 it was 81.1.

Do you know how the come to these stats. If you kinew, youll know they are bullsh1t and we are not living older than generations before. We are living the same

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Yeah it's bull****. Sure the lads in the bible lived to over 1000 years of age. They didn't have fluoride back then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

newbie2013 wrote: »
    Do you know how the come to these stats. If you kinew, youll know they are bullsh1t and we are not living older than generations before. We are living the same

I gave the source

here is is again
    /linkhttp://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005148.html

Don't you just love how noone can counterargue against anything in the blog posts in the OP.

Ok here's your first link, It begins like this:
    (I'll bolden his text, and counterargue against)

Fluoride is great. Can't get enough of the stuff. I strongly support its continued addition to the Irish water supply.

The man is an idiot trying to be humorous, he fails. He states that fluoride "is great", it's not, it's an industrial waste product and toxin.
    "Can't get enough of the stuff", this idiotic bs speaks for itself (see above)

But that's the stuff of another blog post.

Because he's talking through his hole, he's ignorant and couldn't write a single on the subject.

For now I'd like a quick look at its most vocal opponent, Aisling FitzGibbon, perhaps better known as the Girl Against Fluoride. She's gained attention from the Sunday World, The Journal, Hot Press, and seems to have earned the ear of politicians such as Thomas Pringle, Brian Stanley and (I note with sadness) Senator David Norris.

Trying to insult a girl because she doesn't want fluoride in her water along with many 1000's of other informed people across Ireland, and many brave health professional who aren't afraid to speak out about the status quo, all this insult because he prefers mass medication, again he's an idiot.

Her main approach to publicity seems best captured by the Google image search result to the right of this text.

Which leads to a picture of a girl holding a banner with facts written on it, in a bikini in public......:eek:.
    How on earth could anybody take her seriously, you can see her knickers..

"By focusing on optimizing your 12-Strand DNA, this class will open your energetic pathways to manifestation and support you in living the life that you are destined to live."

Her other views not connected to the govt putting a toxin in our water supply to distract from her other message about fluoride and mass medication of a nation, which he loves!

I was curious as to why she so vehemently opposed this safe and long-standing improvement to the dental health of the Irish nation

Bullsh1t statement, dental health has improved all across the planet without fluoridation, and has been shown to have numerous adverse effects, thats why "Informed" people oppose it.

Fluoridated Water Is Causing Low Thyroid

Commentary on 2006 Research Findings

http://thyroid.about.com/od/drsrichkarileeshames/a/fluoride2006.htm

The thyroid controls mood, weight and energy as quoted below, and also causes depression, have you ever heard of somebody who was depressed in Ireland?

"The thyroid gland produces and regulates hormones. These hormones can affect energy levels, mood, even weight. They can also be factors in depression. Read on to find out what causes thyroid-related depression and how it's treated"
    http://www.webmd.com/depression/guide/depression-the-thyroid-and-hormones

so I travelled to her about page, where I read that FitzGibbon is a qualified "Master Integrated Energy Therapist".

Thinking perhaps that this might indicate some talent as an electrician I read further. It seems not. Rather, FitzGibbon chose to invest 685 Euro - of presumably her own money - on a weekend course that promises the following......

The rest of the link/page says absolutely NOTHING about fluoride, just his personal views and stupidness and slating her for doing various courses and educating herself in nutrition amongst other things, something he should really do if he's to slag somebody more knowledgable than himself on the subject.

Then he finishes on a woo bonus with this gem:

"To those who have read all the above I feel some bonus woo is earned. Below, FitzGibbon shares her thoughts on WiFi:"

And adds this facebook capture to try ridicle her....

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Pe8KLxhp1ks/UosES7wGVEI/AAAAAAAAATg/vflH9Qi9rd8/s1600/wifiterror.png

Yet looking at science you'll find there is plenty of evidence saying she's actually right.......

https://www.google.ie/search?newwindow=1&q=emf+frequencies+interfere+with+brain&oq=emf+frequencies+interfere+with+brain&gs_l=serp.3...403292.408112.0.409641.7.7.0.0.0.0.31.186.7.7.0....0...1c.1.32.serp..7.0.0.U_6t-G3f6dQ

Could certain frequencies of electromagnetic waves or radiation interfere with brain function?

Amir Raz, assistant professor of clinical neuroscience at Columbia University, offers the following answer.
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=could-certain-frequencies
    Wi-Fi Health Dangers & Radiation Health Effects

http://www.safespaceprotection.com/electrostress-from-wireless-routers.aspx

And the very scientific PubMed:
    Effects of high-frequency electromagnetic fields on human EEG: a brain mapping study

The results suggested that cellular phones may reversibly influence the human brain, inducing abnormal slow waves in EEG of awake persons.

So all in all I'd call this blogger a gobsh1te.

WTF kind of b0llox is that?, nature didn't intend for fish to hillwalk either, does that make fish or hillwalking bad?, that's an idiotic response you tried to make.

If fluoridation is so great dentists will become extinct shortly as anybody born after in the 1960's or later will never need them........:rolleyes:

Cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

What about all the Nitrogen in our air supply? A dangerous chemical often used in explosives!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

stuar wrote: »
    WTF kind of b0llox is that?, nature didn't intend for fish to hillwalk either, does that make fish or hillwalking bad?, that's an idiotic response you tried to make.

If fluoridation is so great dentists will become extinct shortly as anybody born after in the 1960's or later will never need them........:rolleyes:

Cop on.

It is beneficial to teeth,your point was that there's more fluoride than in breast milk. It being a larger amount than the fluoride in breast milk,proves nothing in itself and it does not mean that it's bad as a result. It's viewed to be a safe and exceedingly low concentration of fluoride. I never claimed that it'll complete obliterate tooth decay however it is beneficial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Of course dentists are against the flouride argument. Do turkeys vote for Christmas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Anti-fluoride movements make baby jebubs cry :(

Mostly because their leaders are manipulating the healing energy rays of angels.

• Site Banned Posts: 263 ✭✭Rabelais

Sarky wrote: »
    Anti-fluoride movements make baby jebubs cry :(

Mostly because their leaders are manipulating the healing energy rays of angels.

Sterling contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    Of course dentists are against the flouride argument. Do turkeys vote for Christmas!

eh, wrong. a tiny minority of dentists are against fluoride for unknown reasons. some lad called don mcauley from navan was fairly vocal about it a few years ago, but he hasn't said much recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

eh, wrong. a tiny minority of dentists are against fluoride for unknown reasons. some lad called don mcauley from navan was fairly vocal about it a few years ago, but he hasn't said much recently.

Probably badly fitting dentures :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Hands up, who can read and completely understand any of the pro / anti fluoride scientific papers? If you say you can, post a picture of some science degree or other (Preferably your own), in lieu of actual proof.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 397 ✭✭Blahblah2012

It is beneficial to teeth,your point was that there's more fluoride than in breast milk. It being a larger amount than the fluoride in breast milk,proves nothing in itself and it does not mean that it's bad as a result. It's viewed to be a safe and exceedingly low concentration of fluoride. I never claimed that it'll complete obliterate tooth decay however it is beneficial.

The pro fluoride bandwagon are full of sh1t. I know plenty of people who have their own wells or filter the fluoride from the water and they(and their teeth) are none the worse for it.

Hands up, who can read and completely understand any of the pro / anti fluoride scientific papers? If you say you can, post a picture of some science degree or other (Preferably your own), in lieu of actual proof.

Hi there.

Here's a picture of me at my M.Sc. graduation a couple of years ago. It's rather large, and it's after the ceremony with a drink or five under my belt, so you might appreciate why I have drawn the hood over my head and was attempting to use the Force to strangle faculty heads, but I digress.

I've understood the scientific papers from the pro-fluoride folks. The anti-fluoride ones are, how shall I put this, a little thin on the ground. Most of them are actually papers proving the benefits of fluoridation, but most of the people pushing them haven't actually read them, and those who did either didn't understand them or just cherry-picked bits and pieces out of context to try and spin a scare-story.

Fluoridation of water is a Good Thing. At low levels like in Irish water, it provides huge benefits to dental health. For any adverse effects to manifest, there'd have to be several times more fluoride in the water than there is. It's useful at low concentrations, just like oxygen, which is a fatally toxic gas if you happened to breathe it at higher levels than we have in the atmosphere for long.

When the leaders of a campaign are claiming scientific knowledge but also claim that the healing rays of angels can be manipulated (after a €1,000 certification course, naturally) or claim that birth control pills and vaccines make you autistic and/or gay, or even that they can cure cancer with castor oil, it might be time to examine whether that campaign has any merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭weisses

Hi there.

Here's a picture of me at my M.Sc. graduation a couple of years ago.

It is the face i would expect with the nickname "Sarky" :D

It would be fair to mention that many of the people opposing fluoridation are also scientist and other proffesionals, but i understand the concern with some lobby's

For the record, I've nothing against people campaigning against water fluoridation on, say, the grounds that it should be opt-in. There's a valid point to be made about governments taking care of their citizens to the point of being a nanny-state.

But campaign on that, and check your sources, and argue rationally. Don't go adding religious faith-healing bullsh*t and misrepresented science and anti-vaccine idiocy to the mix, you'll destroy any credibility your concern ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Ok new to this whole story but if some one with no qualifications comes out and says fluoride is bad and follows it up with urine cures cancer and gay pills I'm likely not to believe them how has this person gotten support?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Sin City wrote: »
    Ok new to this whole story but if some one with no qualifications comes out and says fluoride is bad and follows it up with urine cures cancer and gay pills I'm likely not to believe them how has this person gotten support?

Because she took her clothes off

When the leaders of a campaign are claiming scientific knowledge but also claim that the healing rays of angels can be manipulated (after a €1,000 certification course, naturally) or claim that birth control pills and vaccines make you autistic and/or gay, or even that they can cure cancer with castor oil, it might be time to examine whether that campaign has any merit.

problem is they not only have no scientific knowledge, they have no knowledge of science.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭lostdisk

Muise... wrote: »
    problem is they not only have no scientific knowledge, they have no knowledge of science.

The fuoride campaign has been going on since the seventies in different countries. Backed by many doctors.and scientists.

• Advertisement

The fuoride campaign has been going on since the seventies in different countries. Backed by many doctors.and scientists.

I was talking about the angels wing of the campaign - who clearly do not know how science works.

Advertisement