Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlatan "girl against flouride" finally exposed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Hard to believe you can come up with such strong arguments

Whilst I agree with the principle of this thread, the links you have posted appear to be just handbags between various bloggers and crackpots.

I have never heard of the girl against fluorine before. You are at least giving her some publicity. Perhaps this is some kind of genius double bluff and you are providing random links to obscure blogs as a means of strengthening her case?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Why is it hard to believe? What's weak about it?

The thing is - Nobody has actually gone in and deconstructed any of the arguments in the links I posted to.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

hansfrei wrote: »
    Flouride is bad for you. Theres loads of science to back that statement up somewhere, probably. Anyway I don't want it in my water.

Wow. Real evidence right there.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Even your pal's own commentors tell him, lol:
    EdNovember 19, 2013 at 9:52 AM
    Seriously Geoff,

Would it not be better to put forward a well drafted case for Fluoride in the water system, than attack an individuals credibility ??
    zach blasiNovember 19, 2013 at 11:32 AM
    For or against fluoride I find this article to be light on the intelligence and heavy on the opinion. Perhaps more research into facts and less into negative things that have been stated by others.

Like I said, weak.

dirtyden wrote: »
    Whilst I agree with the principle of this thread, the links you have posted appear to be just handbags between various bloggers and crackpots.

I have never heard of the girl against fluorine before. You are at least giving her some publicity. Perhaps this is some kind of genius double bluff and you are providing random links to obscure blogs as a means of strengthening her case?

Hilarious stuff here

People are not dealing with any of the arguments from the linked blogs I posted.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Hilarious stuff here

People are not dealing with any of the arguments from the linked blogs I posted.

You sound like a conspiracy theorist yourself now

Amazingfun wrote: »
    Even your pal's own commentors tell him, lol:

Like I said, weak.
    That's a fantastic deconstruction. Well done.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭hansfrei

Wow. Real evidence right there.

Bit like yer man. Geoff Gapes. Put-downs and bluff. I should start a blog about evidence.

Bit like yer man. Geoff Gapes. Put-downs and bluff. I should start a blog about evidence.

Ah go on.

Terry Pratchet

I wonder why so many countries are banning or taking the fluoride out of their water if it's so great for us, as the blogger claims?
    Country Fluoridation Status

China BANNED: "not allowed"
    Austria REJECTED: "toxic fluorides" NOT added
    Belgium REJECTED: encourages self-determination – those who want fluoride should get it themselves.
    Finland STOPPED: "...do not favor or recommend fluoridation of drinking water. There are better ways of providing the fluoride our teeth need." A recent study found ..."no indication of an increasing trend of caries...."

Germany STOPPED: A recent study found no evidence of an increasing trend of caries
    Denmark REJECTED: "...toxic fluorides have never been added to the public water supplies in Denmark."
    Norway REJECTED: "...drinking water should not be fluoridated"
    Sweden BANNED: "not allowed". No safety data available!

The Netherlands Inevitably, whenever there is a court decision against fluoridation, the dental lobby pushes to have the judgement overturned on a technicality or they try to get the laws changed to legalize it. Their tactics didn't work in the vast majority of Europe.

Hungary STOPPED: for technical reasons in the '60s. However, despite technological advances, Hungary remains unfluoridated.

Japan REJECTED: "...may cause health problems...." The 0.8 -1.5 mg regulated level is for calcium-fluoride, not the hazardous waste by-product which is added with artificial fluoridation.

http://www.fluoridation.com/c-country.htm
    On July 29, 2013, the Supreme Court of Israel ruled that Israel must stop adding fluoride into public water supplies in one year, following a a decision on fluoride’s potential toxicity to humans by the Israeli health minister.

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2013/08/israel-joins-most-of-the-world-in-banning-water-fluoridation.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭dirtyden

A better thread to have started would be on the merits of fluoridation. I think there is enough science out there to support that the levels we are dealing with are not harmful.

For some reason the OP seems intent on simply attacking this lady.

Why are we still fluoridating water in 2013 is a perfectly valid question. Brushing your teeth twice a day and using a little mouthwash pretty much overrides any benefit from fluoridation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I read those blog links a few days back, the references to the pill and homosexuality are from the mother in an interview with the Independent.

References to being anti-vaccine, pro alternative medicine like homeopathy is on certain posts on the girl against fluoride's Facebook page. Something about the mother not giving her vaccines but instead brought her to a homeopathic center.

Fluoride is great. Can't get enough of the stuff. I strongly support its continued addition to the Irish water supply.

Actual quote from the Op's first link: http://www.geoffsshorts.blogspot.ie/2013/11/girl-against-fluoride-f-minus-for-effort.html?m=1

dirtyden wrote: »
    A better thread to have started would be on the merits of fluoridation. I think there is enough science out there to support that the levels we are dealing with are not harmful.

For some reason the OP seems intent on simply attacking this lady.

Why are we still fluoridating water in 2013 is a perfectly valid question. Brushing your teeth twice a day and using a little mouthwash pretty much overrides any benefit from fluoridation.

It's not about attacking her. It is simply demonstrating that her campaign and her campaign team cannot be taken seriously.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

It's hard to believe this weak thread was started by a Mod. But I guess that explains why it's still going.....

Now, I will hear a lot of awful things against Mango Salsa, but I can't see this is a weak thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Now, I will hear a lot of awful things against Mango Salsa, but I can't see this is a weak thread.
    Weak = not agreeing with it

I wonder why so many countries are banning or taking the fluoride out of their water if it's so great for us, as the blogger claims?

http://www.fluoridation.com/c-country.htm

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2013/08/israel-joins-most-of-the-world-in-banning-water-fluoridation.html

AH rule number one. Foreigners are always right.

Can't beat that MS. We haz you now.

Weak = not agreeing with it

Weak as in wouldn't even make it in CT forums.

:D I wasn't aware of such a rule, where are the rest posted?

:D I wasn't aware of such a rule, where are the rest posted?

In between the lines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

So surely the government can just add some piss and castor oil in with the fluoride and counterbalance against the cancer?
    Roscommon water and castor oil it is so

Is that your blog of evidence?

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭BlutendeRabe

Regarding fluoridation, given the general improvement in oral hygiene there is an argument that it is somewhat unnecessary.

However the opponents have failed to convince me, mainly because the vast majority of them are a perfidious collection of bat**** loolas. Thank god this country doesn't have nukes and some home grown version of General Jack D. Ripper lurking in the Air Corps.
    The forced mediciation issue also doesn't convince me. Vaccines are technically forced medication, but the public health benifits outweigh any concerns like that.

Wonder if Brian Stanley was listening to that. I support the party but it was embarrassing having them actually table a bill, despite the forum on fluoridation report. (Yeah I know its not that new, but its the most reputable source in an Irish context IMO. Summary: http://lenus.ie/hse/bitstream/10147/43547/1/256.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 16,579 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

So essentially if you don't want fluoride in your water your homophobic and a bit thick?
    Are we painting every person who doesn't like the idea of water flouridation as the above or can you be reasonably intelligent unconcerned by other people's sexuality and want rid of water fluoridation? Can you be part of a minority group which would give you the right to be horrified insulted and indignant at the drop of a hat and be against the idea of water fluoridation?

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

nullzero wrote: »
    So essentially if you don't want fluoride in your water your homophobic and a bit thick?
    I don't want fluoride in the water and I didn't read it that way. I don't think anyone put it that way either. Referring to this woman isn't the same as referring to everyone who's opposed to fluoride in the water.

Are we painting every person who doesn't like the idea of water flouridation as the above or can you be reasonably intelligent unconcerned by other people's sexuality and want rid of water fluoridation? Can you be part of a minority group which would give you the right to be horrified insulted and indignant at the drop of a hat and be against the idea of water fluoridation?

Sock cúckers Joe. Feckin' sock cúckers.

I don't want fluoride in the water and I didn't read it that way. I don't think anyone put it that way either. Referring to this woman isn't the same as referring to everyone who's opposed to fluoride in the water.

She has less clothes on. I prefer her story.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Do you think Homeopaths should be allowed to marry or not???

• Registered Users Posts: 16,579 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

I had hoped my questions would appear more rhetorical than they seemingly did.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

That is missing the point and miscontruing the thread.

I have never said anywhere in this thread that everyone who is anti flouride is homophobic and thick.

The point of this thread is to show that one of the main proponents of the anti fluoride campaign cannot and should not be taken seriously. If she is going to make informed scientific arguments then it is important to point out that her qualifications to make those arguments are extremely questionable.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement