Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlatan "girl against flouride" finally exposed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Judging by most people on this thread who passionately support this woman... good auld character/intelligence barometer. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Judging by most people on this thread who passionately support this woman... good auld character/intelligence barometer. :)

I count one person that seems to be supportive of her and her asinine campaign.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

drdeadlift wrote: »
    Isnt there a gland in the brain effected by the flouride
    Nope.

In older people the pineal gland may contain calcium deposits anyway.

Fluoride binds to calcium. It binds to the calcium in bones & teeth and to the calcium deposits already in the pineal. Calcium Fluoride is insoluble and inert.

And a reminder that the natural water supply in many parts of China and India would be completely illegal here because it contains too much fluoride.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Nope.

In older people the pineal gland may contain calcium deposits anyway.

Fluoride binds to calcium. It binds to the calcium in bones & teeth and to the calcium deposits already in the pineal. Calcium Fluoride is insoluble and inert.

And a reminder that the natural water supply in many parts of China and India would be completely illegal here because it contains too much fluoride.

kinda.

the way it works in enamel is that it replaces the calcium that is lost due to decay. enamel is made up of calcium hydroxyapatite, with calcium pretty much in the centre of the molecule. if the calcium bond is broken (as what happens in decay) then the enamel breaks down. fluoride replaces the calcium with stronger bonds to the hydroxyapatite making the enamel stronger (which is why kids that have fluorosis actually have stronger teeth)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Sarky wrote: »
    Hi there.

Here's a picture of me at my M.Sc. graduation a couple of years ago. It's rather large, and it's after the ceremony with a drink or five under my belt, so you might appreciate why I have drawn the hood over my head and was attempting to use the Force to strangle faculty heads, but I digress.

I've understood the scientific papers from the pro-fluoride folks. The anti-fluoride ones are, how shall I put this, a little thin on the ground. Most of them are actually papers proving the benefits of fluoridation, but most of the people pushing them haven't actually read them, and those who did either didn't understand them or just cherry-picked bits and pieces out of context to try and spin a scare-story.

Fluoridation of water is a Good Thing. At low levels like in Irish water, it provides huge benefits to dental health. For any adverse effects to manifest, there'd have to be several times more fluoride in the water than there is. It's useful at low concentrations, just like oxygen, which is a fatally toxic gas if you happened to breathe it at higher levels than we have in the atmosphere for long.

When the leaders of a campaign are claiming scientific knowledge but also claim that the healing rays of angels can be manipulated (after a €1,000 certification course, naturally) or claim that birth control pills and vaccines make you autistic and/or gay, or even that they can cure cancer with castor oil, it might be time to examine whether that campaign has any merit.

Rightio, so score one for the (I think) pro-fluoride, or at the very least, don't-care-too-much-fluoride side of the battle, if indeed Darth Sidious over here is the guy in the photo. Any rebuttal from the other side?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

What does any of this prove? She is entitled to have opinions about whatever she likes. How do you know vaccinations are good for you? "They" said thalidomide was good for pregnant women. "They" said pesticides were safe.

Scientists, doctors etc have said a lot that has been since proven untrue. How do you know castor oil isn't great for you? Have you studied it?? I have no idea either as I haven't heard of it before but that doesn't mean that i could categorically say that it is true or not. The point is that a huge amount of scientists worldwide have concluded that fluoridation is not good for you. That's why they don't fluoridate water in other countries.
    My main concern with fluoride is the effect it may have on bottlefed babies and young children. I personally cannot see how it would be good for their underdeveloped systems and as a parent i believe that people have a right to demand what they believe is healthier for their children, whatever that may be according to their informed opinion.

I think fair play to this girl to put her money where her mouth is as it were and to get up and make a stand about something she feels strongly about instead of just accepting it when she genuinely believes people are being poisoned. Goes to show those who can do and those who can't bitch and moan and criticize those who do. Go ahead drink the fluoridated water, that choice is your right. Just the same as those who choose to have clean water also have rights. That's the joy of democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

melissak wrote: »
    i believe that people have a right to demand what they believe is healthier for their children, whatever that may be according to their informed opinion.

LOL!

The informations are not equal!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Oh, she can have an opinion like everybody else........except she's going around twisting / misreading studies and putting out misinformation which people are taking as fact, not opinion.

Plus, how do we know vaccinations are good? Are you actually serious?..........well you mentioned castor oil so I'll assume so.

Are you one of those who thinks Bill Gates is a eugenist?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What does any of this prove? She is entitled to have opinions about whatever she likes. How do you know vaccinations are good for you?
    Vaccinations aren't supposed to be good for you.

Vaccinations are supposed to elicit an immune response so you won't get infected or die you are exposed to that disease.

You are only better off not vaccinating if absolutely everyone else does, and you don't live in a country were there are lots of recent immigrants from parts of the world with endemic diseases and you don't have children in your house because they catch everything at school. But in a sane society we reserve that for people with suppressed immune systems because the healthy folk have built up a herd immunity.

People who don't vaccinate catch and spread diseases and a good few of the people they infect die. It's that simple. By not vaccinating you are placing a health burden on others and condemning future generations to suffer. And just to rub it in, you are not protecting your kids from harm.

But it's OK not to vaccinate since we haven't had an epidemic of a fatal disease in this part of the world recently. :rolleyes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Swansea_measles_epidemic
    The 2012–13 Swansea measles epidemic began in November 2012 and was declared over on 3 July 2013. There were a total of 1,219 measles notifications (suspected cases) in Swansea, Neath Port Talbot, Bridgend, Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire and Powys, with 1,455 measles notifications for the whole of Wales, 664 of which were in Swansea alone.[1] A total of 88 people were hospitalised for measles infection during the epidemic.[2] One death was reported: a 25-year old man suffering from giant cell pneumonia brought on by measles infection died on 18 April 2013.[3] The cost associated with treating the sick and controlling the outbreak exceeded £470,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

The eradication of smallpox, and polio in most of the world would indicate that vaccines do a pretty fantastic job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Boombastic wrote: »
    Can you give a synopisis of what's going on? I can't be clicking on all those links.....ain't nobody got time for that

****ing young people. No wonder the leaving cert is so much easier nowadays and the junior cert is a piss in the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Anyone got her number ? I would still give her one .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Anyone got her number ? I would still give her one .
    I rather doubt that she would allow you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Corkfeen wrote: »
    The eradication of smallpox, and polio in most of the world would indicate that vaccines do a pretty fantastic job.

I'll go one step further and make that the claim that medicine = good. Extreme, I know, but thems me views.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

She looks like she'd be dirty.

I WHOLEHEARTEDLY SUPPORT THIS PRODUCT/CAUSE

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Lefticus Loonaticus

Terrible quality video, sry. A west cork town has gotten fluoride out of their water. Altho, only by actually installing the technology themselves.

About time someone had the balls to go on national tv and tell the truth about the criminal actions of our governments. Putting industrial waste product into our water without our consent for decades.

Disgusting.

They cant hide behind the dental lobby or their sham 'expert body on fluorides' for much longer.

As for the girl against fluoride? I wish her the best of luck when she sues the state for poisoning the people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Terrible quality video, sry. A west cork town has gotten fluoride out of their water. Altho, only by actually installing the technology themselves.

About time someone had the balls to go on national tv and tell the truth about the criminal actions of our governments. Putting industrial waste product into our water without our consent for decades.

Disgusting.

They cant hide behind the dental lobby or their sham 'expert body on fluorides' for much longer.

As for the girl against fluoride? I wish her the best of luck when she sues the state for poisoning the people.

hilarious video- Blinky and The Yank.

Hilarious.

What is the criminal activity you're on about?

Please give me the law being broken.

Hilarious.

What is the criminal activity you're on about?

Please give me the law being broken.

2005, European Court of Justice. No medical product may be given to consumers without appropriate scientific risk assessments.

Its fleshed out a bit more in this link ->

http://www.imt.ie/opinion/2012/08/fluoride-in-water-supply-is-exposing-our-citizens-to-unnecessary-hazards.html

Have a good read for yourself there. Im sure you'll find it hilarious.

All that says is you can't give people "medicine" that hasn't been tested.

Fluoride has been tested over and over again.

Shows it's fine.

We've been over that a zillion times in this thread.

• Advertisement

All that says is you can't give people "medicine" that hasn't been tested.

Fluoride has been tested over and over again.

Shows it's fine.

We've been over that a zillion times in this thread.

The seventh paragraph of the link provided.

".....the toxicology of hexafluorosilicic acid used for water fluoridation in ireland and its hexafluorosilicate compounds are unknown and completely uninvestigated."

Didnt know it was mentioned earlier in thread.

The hexa.... We use is the exact same as the stuff they use in America.

So yes. It has been investigated. Over and over.

Just because that guy says it hasn't, doesn't mean all the research never happened.

http://whqlibdoc.who.int/trs/WHO_TRS_846.pdf

A pretty great read if you're into this sort of thing.

It's a solid, well written report by The World Health Organisation on how they prefer flouride be delivered, pros, cons, testing etc etc.

The hexa.... We use is the exact same as the stuff they use in America.

So yes. It has been investigated. Over and over.

Just because that guy says it hasn't, doesn't mean all the research never happened.

Hang on a second. I just realized this is afterhours, and im allowed to take the savage piss.

News Report!!!!!!

'Corporate america produces investigative results which approves its own practice of dumping toxic waste into the water supplies of its own people to gain even more profits for itself.'

'Ireland, like an idiot, still goes along with the practice even though its been completely exposed and discredited.'

What a surprise!

(Note: Declan Waugh has more credibility than the combined total of every tard in the dail who voted down sinn feins bill.)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Hang on a second. I just realized this is afterhours, and im allowed to take the savage piss.

News Report!!!!!!

'Corporate america produces investigative results which approves its own practice of dumping toxic waste into the water supplies of its own people to gain even more profits for itself.'

'Ireland, like an idiot, still goes along with the practice even though its been completely exposed and discredited.'

What a surprise!

(Note: Declan Waugh has more credibility than the combined total of every tard in the dail who voted down sinn feins bill.)

Taking the 'savage piss' might make you feel good about yourself but it makes your argument that flouride is bad, look weak.

2005, European Court of Justice. No medical product may be given to consumers without appropriate scientific risk assessments.
    The fact that there are legal limits implies that risk assessment was carried out. Again a reminder that natural water in many parts of the world would be illegal here because of the amount of fluoride.

Also you don't need to specifically test everything. Many things were grandfathered in because they were safe.
    http://www.fda.gov/Food/IngredientsPackagingLabeling/GRAS/
    "GRAS" is an acronym for the phrase Generally Recognized As Safe. Under sections 201(s) and 409 of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (the Act), any substance that is intentionally added to food is a food additive, that is subject to premarket review and approval by FDA, unless the substance is generally recognized, among qualified experts, as having been adequately shown to be safe under the conditions of its intended use, or unless the use of the substance is otherwise excluded from the definition of a food additive.

Under sections 201(s) and 409 of the Act, and FDA's implementing regulations in 21 CFR 170.3 and 21 CFR 170.30, the use of a food substance may be GRAS either through scientific procedures or, for a substance used in food before 1958, through experience based on common use in food.

Under 21 CFR 170.30(b), general recognition of safety through scientific procedures requires the same quantity and quality of scientific evidence as is required to obtain approval of the substance as a food additive and ordinarily is based upon published studies, which may be corroborated by unpublished studies and other data and information.
    Under 21 CFR 170.30(c) and 170.3(f), general recognition of safety through experience based on common use in foods requires a substantial history of consumption for food use by a significant number of consumers.

Since the fluoride band wagon started we've banned many things that have caused real health issues because there was real evidence.

And again fluoride is just deflecting attention from real issues. People are dying ever day from preventable stuff like road traffic accidents, suicide, cuts to health spending etc. And all the time dragging up an anti-communist phobia from the 1940's is delaying discussion and action on those.

It's very simple. If you don't want fluoride buy a filter or drink bottled water. Do it that way and you don't impose a health burden on the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Wurly wrote: »
    link?

link?

How do you know that vaccinations are not toxic to the human body? How do you know that flouride isn't really bad news for us either?

http://howdovaccinescauseautism.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

What does any of this prove? She is entitled to have opinions about whatever she likes. How do you know vaccinations are good for you? "They" said thalidomide was good for pregnant women. "They" said pesticides were safe.

Scientists, doctors etc have said a lot that has been since proven untrue. How do you know castor oil isn't great for you? Have you studied it?? I have no idea either as I haven't heard of it before but that doesn't mean that i could categorically say that it is true or not. The point is that a huge amount of scientists worldwide have concluded that fluoridation is not good for you. That's why they don't fluoridate water in other countries.
    My main concern with fluoride is the effect it may have on bottlefed babies and young children. I personally cannot see how it would be good for their underdeveloped systems and as a parent i believe that people have a right to demand what they believe is healthier for their children, whatever that may be according to their informed opinion.

I think fair play to this girl to put her money where her mouth is as it were and to get up and make a stand about something she feels strongly about instead of just accepting it when she genuinely believes people are being poisoned. Goes to show those who can do and those who can't bitch and moan and criticize those who do. Go ahead drink the fluoridated water, that choice is your right. Just the same as those who choose to have clean water also have rights. That's the joy of democracy.

You're entitled to your own opinions but you are not entitled to your own facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Filibuster

The fact that there are legal limits implies that risk assessment was carried out. Again a reminder that natural water in many parts of the world would be illegal here because of the amount of fluoride.

Also you don't need to specifically test everything. Many things were grandfathered in because they were safe.
    http://www.fda.gov/Food/IngredientsPackagingLabeling/GRAS/

Since the fluoride band wagon started we've banned many things that have caused real health issues because there was real evidence.

And again fluoride is just deflecting attention from real issues. People are dying ever day from preventable stuff like road traffic accidents, suicide, cuts to health spending etc. And all the time dragging up an anti-communist phobia from the 1940's is delaying discussion and action on those.

It's very simple. If you don't want fluoride buy a filter or drink bottled water. Do it that way and you don't impose a health burden on the rest of us.

Legal limits don't mean a thing in a mass medication program like flouridation. One person in this county could drink 8litres of flouridated tap water a day while their neighbour drinks none.

Flouride is toxic and a poison and affects brain development.

Please note the following research which was published in the Journal Environmental Health Perspectives (One of the worlds leading public health journals, has a higher impact factor that the WHO - World Health Organisation):
    Developmental Fluoride Neurotoxicity: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis

Results: The standardized weighted mean difference in IQ score between exposed and reference populations was –0.45 (95% confidence interval: –0.56, –0.35) using a random-effects model. Thus, children in high-fluoride areas had significantly lower IQ scores than those who lived in low-fluoride areas. Subgroup and sensitivity analyses also indicated inverse associations, although the substantial heterogeneity did not appear to decrease.

Conclusions: The results support the possibility of an adverse effect of high fluoride exposure on children’s neurodevelopment. Future research should include detailed individual-level information on prenatal exposure, neurobehavioral performance, and covariates for adjustment.

http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/1104912/

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/features/fluoride-childrens-health-grandjean-choi/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Filibuster wrote: »
    Flouride is toxic and a poison and affects brain development.

*stops brushing teeth, looks at toothbrush... oh my god

Advertisement