Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

limerick city of sub culture

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

iguana wrote: »
    They don't really. Did you see the Prime Time Special recently on the unprecedented spate of murders this year? At the time there had been 8 murders in a month, all committed in Dublin. Not that you'd know it if the programme was how you'd learned about it as they kept referring to it as a nationwide problem, then had a discussion about gangs in Limerick.

It is classic deflection...I have lost count how many times I have witnessed it.

Primetime had a discussion about the in and outs of the gangland portrayed in Love/Hate (seriously they did) who was their guest...our own State solicitor Michael Murray (who incidentally was incapable of stringing a sentence together, and when he did manage one it made no sense)....crazy stuff.

Bear in mind this is our national broadcaster who we all pay our licence to.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

marienbad wrote: »
    As far I as I am aware we have always been statistically less than Dublin or Cork , even in the worst of times .

But we have ,for our size, been more spectacular or bizarre or downright tragic. If it was on a tv series we would have deemed it realistic. But such stuff is manna to news outlets.

Stop producing it and they will stop reporting it. The problem we are stuck is that it is harder to lose a reputation that to gain one . But it is high time we stopped looking outside for solutions to our problems .

Well i think there's plenty going on up in Dublin for the media there to focus on.Where is the two page spread on the state of the O'Connell Street area for example?Limerick did have a serious problem with gangland activity but the gardai have got on top of the situation and the stat's would back this up.

Yeah ,but timing is everything, we had this just weeks before the thing was set to kick off. The Derry ones are linked to when it was winding up.

Not really the same thing , the first thing we are treated to in Limerick is a fiasco at the very top before we have even one event.

It was a self inflicted cock-up, just accept it and move on.

No you are wrong, it wasn't just the timing of it, the timing was a subplot, it was the cronyism that was the main thrust of the story.

Now do you believe that the appointments in Derry/Cork or the Gathering were devoid of cronyism?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

No you are wrong, it wasn't just the timing of it, the timing was a subplot, it was the cronyism that was the main thrust of the story.

Now do you believe that the appointments in Derry/Cork or the Gathering were devoid of cronyism?

It was the timing and the cronyism . I can't say about Derry/Cork as I don't give a s&^%e about them and have better things to do with my time that measuring column inches in the newspapers.

Have they reported anything untrue ? Did the stories warrant publication ?
    Was the public interest served ?

There is no media agenda here , if we insist on acting the idjits we will be reported as such. Your solution is to not report it , mine is to grow up as a city and as a nation . Lets stop blaming our failures on others and start doing the right things.

It was the timing and the cronyism . I can't say about Derry/Cork as I don't give a s&^%e about them and have better things to do with my time that measuring column inches in the newspapers.

Have they reported anything untrue ? Did the stories warrant publication ?
    Was the public interest served ?

There is no media agenda here , if we insist on acting the idjits we will be reported as such. Your solution is to not report it , mine is to grow up as a city and as a nation . Lets stop blaming our failures on others and start doing the right things.

Have you read any of my posts?

• Advertisement

Have you read any of my posts?

Of course, why would you feel the need to ask ?

Because I don't agree with you ? The difference is I don't care what the papers say about us as long as it reasonably accurate . I am proud of my city, its culture, its heritage, its people and I don't need puff pieces in the papers to validate that.

Of course, why would you feel the need to ask ?

Because I don't agree with you ? The difference is I don't care what the papers say about us as long as it reasonably accurate . I am proud of my city, its culture, its heritage, its people and I don't need puff pieces in the papers to validate that.

No, not because you didn't agree with me, but because you said I stated that it shouldn't be reported...I never did, in fact I repeatedly stated the opposite.

You don't care about Derry or Cork because there was no media storm therefore it barely register in the minds of the public. The newspapers chose to create a media storm for this one, therefore everyone in the entire country had an opinion....it did a massive amount of damage.

You might feel we deserve this kind of treatment, but I for one have had enough of it.

No, not because you didn't agree with me, but because you said I stated that it shouldn't be reported...I never did, in fact I repeatedly stated the opposite.

You don't care about Derry or Cork because there was no media storm therefore it barely register in the minds of the public. The newspapers chose to create a media storm for this one, therefore everyone in the entire country had an opinion....it did a massive amount of damage.

You might feel we deserve this kind of treatment, but I for one have had enough of it.

Incorrect, you don't know why I care or don't care about anything let alone my motives for such.

The story was reported ,the story was true, end of. Get over it and lets produce some 'culture' and stop giving reasons for negative reporting and problem solved.

Advertisement