Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

limerick city of sub culture

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Irger

people seam to forget, regardless that the way she became ceo was shady, that she got the job of/by someone else(board perhaps).. she didn't give the job to herself.
    further, imagine mr AD would had his way with nye event and blew the 1.8m, guess how many of the "i have a degree in A, B & C - and wrote a book about 'how to paint a cat purple' - arty farts" would had less of the cake...funding i mean

the whole thing is just so so sad :,(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Taco Chips wrote: »
    I have little sympathy tbh. She and her cronies tried to pull a stroke and pocket a heap of taxpayers cash in a position she was completely unsuitable for. Perhaps more backlash against these kind of shenanigans will send a strong message to deter further skullduggery from the political class.

I meant on a personal level, it's no joke being in the middle of a media storm of that veracity...she is probably a decent individual, but she is part of the rotten system...

I absolutely agree with you, it is backlashes like this we need more of...I am beginning to feel very proud our of artistic community, EVERY quango in the country is put together like this, this is wrong and it is rotten...the first group in the country to make a stand was the Limerick Cultural community...no body I am mean nobody can deny that this city has a vibrant artistic community....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

While Ryan shouldn't have taken the job and it's good that she's gone the real culprit here is the person who hired her. Not many people would turn down €700 a day or €80k a year if it's offered to them. She needed to go because she was unqualified but the person who hired her needs to be fired for curruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

iguana wrote: »
    but the person who hired her needs to be fired for curruption.
    We don't fire public servants, we just buy them off, this is what it cost us to get rid of the current incumbents predecessors, from the Irish Examiner July 06 2013
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/council-chiefs-13m-golden-handshake-obscene-236127.html
    Retired Limerick city manager Tom Mackey received a lump sum payment of €202,646 and the highest-ever special severance gratuity payment of €91,222 received by a county manager when he retired in Feb 2012 to give him a combined €293,868. Mr Mackey — aged 58 when he retired — is now in receipt of annual pension payments of €73,422.
    His deal included terms that allowed him to get pension benefits for years he did not work.

Gerry Behan retired as Limerick county manager aged 64 in April, and received a pension payoff of €270,194, between a lump sum of €202,646 and special severance payment of €67,548. He is currently receiving annual pension payments of €67,548.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Beware the local artistic community waiting to get their paws on the booty!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Who is this Richie Ryan guy that called the public meeting and on the news?He just want the big job himself

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mazzy maz

bigpink wrote: »
    Who is this Richie Ryan guy that called the public meeting and on the news?He just want the big job himself

He's artistic director at centre stage theatre school.

So what's the view on him?seems alot of ifighting in the art scene in limerick

So what's the view on him?

Depends who you ask haha

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Irger

mazzy maz wrote: »
    Depends who you ask haha

:rolleyes: this ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

Taco Chips wrote: »
    I have little sympathy tbh. She and her cronies tried to pull a stroke and pocket a heap of taxpayers cash in a position she was completely unsuitable for. Perhaps more backlash against these kind of shenanigans will send a strong message to deter further skullduggery from the political class.

While I too have little sympathy, she's the only one taking a serious fall for this mess which isn't right...

An opinion in Richie ryan was deleted hnmm

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

An opinion in Richie ryan was deleted hnmm

Mod Post: No comment in this thread was mod deleted last night/this morning so please stop trying to create drama where there is none. The only posts in the thread last night that were edited or deleted were ones that the original posters did it to themselves.

Im not saying it was a mod or boards but a comment from last night is gone could have been the writer

Seems to be a huge click in the arts in Limerick and alot of greed and in fighting is coming out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Seems to be a huge click in the arts in Limerick and alot of greed and in fighting is coming out

Can they not just pull together...Thats one thing that annoys me about the arts community...the smugness

Seems to be no normal people involved it,all the same old faces

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

That woman has been put under enormous pressure...whether you like her or not, or agree with her or not, the media exposure has been ridiculous....I have never seen anything like the media storm we have just witnessed! I hope she quickly shakes off her experience...and continues to enjoy life in whatever capacity she finds herself in...

The media storm has been exactly what is needed to expose the shoddy cronyism going on here & to make people accountable for it. It is not a bit ridiculous. If it wasn't for the attention that this affair got, a completely unqualified person would still be in a job for which she is totally unsuited. The country would be in a better place if this kind of media firestorm happened more often imo.

It may not be fun to be a the centre of a storm such as this, but I have little sympathy for her when she had the brass neck to put her self forward for the position in the first place. Seeing as she then proceeded to alienate members of the artistic community, whose experience and knowledge she could at least have had the cop on to tap into, I lose what little remaining sympathy I may have had for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

ProudDUB wrote: »
    The media storm has been exactly what is needed to expose the shoddy cronyism going on here & to make people accountable for it. It is not a bit ridiculous. If it wasn't for the attention that this affair got, a completely unqualified person would still be in a job for which she is totally unsuited. The country would be in a better place if this kind of media firestorm happened more often imo.

It may not be fun to be a the centre of a storm such as this, but I have little sympathy for her when she had the brass neck to put her self forward for the position in the first place. Seeing as she then proceeded to alienate members of the artistic community, whose experience and knowledge she could at least have had the cop on to tap into, I lose what little remaining sympathy I may have had for her.

+1 Particularly ''exposing the shoddy cronyism'' . We need this all over the country for all quangos and boards .

After 5 years of recession it is staggering that this type of thing is still going on and the incumbents get all upset about it. Talking about a sense of entitlement !

• Advertisement

Anyone know if there's any house/techno nights planned for the city of culture. Limerick has produced some good DJs in the past and used to have a pretty decent clubbing scene for such a small city, even in the days of Docs ,Mauro picotto, Judge Jules, Jon Carter and tall Paul have all made appearances.

Apparently its gone downhill in recent years since the closing of the trinity rooms etc. Here's hoping for a revival :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Exile on Grafton St.

lufties wrote: »
    Anyone know if there's any house/techno nights planned for the city of culture. Limerick has produced some good DJs in the past and used to have a pretty decent clubbing scene for such a small city, even in the days of Docs ,Mauro picotto, Judge Jules, Jon Carter and tall Paul have all made appearances.

Apparently its gone downhill in recent years since the closing of the trinity rooms etc. Here's hoping for a revival :)

Not being smart, but if there isn't anything along those lines planned for 2014, would you consider organising it. You wouldn't be only one who would be interested in this. Wouldn't it be great if a 'silent disco' was organised somewhere in the city centre.

http://www.silentdiscoireland.ie/packages/

I'm in Dublin with a (very) young family, but I've been thinking of trying to organise something in Limerick too (non-dance).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭golfball37

jmch81 wrote: »
    Mike Fitzpatrick to be appointed to City of Culture:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0107/496389-limerick-city-of-culturelimerick-city-of-culture/
    http://www.limerickpost.ie/2014/01/07/mike-fitzpatrick-to-be-appointed-to-city-of-culture/[/QUOTE]

Posts on the journal are saying he's yer wan's brother in law. Couldn't be true could it?

Not being smart, but if there isn't anything along those lines planned for 2014, would you consider organising it. You wouldn't be only one who would be interested in this. Wouldn't it be great if a 'silent disco' was organised somewhere in the city centre.

http://www.silentdiscoireland.ie/packages/

I'm in Dublin with a (very) young family, but I've been thinking of trying to organise something in Limerick too (non-dance).

I'm in China at the moment but moving to the UK very soon so I'll be over and back throughout the year I reckon. honestly i have too much on my plate at the moment with relocating and stuff, otherwise I'd love to help.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Seems to be no normal people involved it,all the same old faces

What's a "normal" person? Someone who doesn't write/paint/act/dance? :confused:

lufties wrote: »

Check out Macronite if you're into techno and the like.

mazzy maz wrote: »
    Check out Macronite if you're into techno and the like.

Cheers, at a quick listen it doesn't seem to be my thing, I'm more into the progressive house genre, although I'm probably way behind the times and being in my early thirties perhaps a tad too old :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

ProudDUB wrote: »

You're missing my point, you are right every single instance of cronyism should receive this treatment, but it doesn't, why not? We all want it? We all want to know how/when this happens? Have we any idea of how many quango's are in this state? When was the last one created? Who was on that board? Check out Pheonix Magazine, it carries stories such as this every issue the mainstream media do not seem bothered by those quangos...Why don't they...what was the vital ingredient this time that led to 8 days of intense negative media attention? (this is what I was referring to when I said ridiculous)

The Gathering recruited a CEO two years ago in the EXACT same fashion, where was the media storm then?

In this part of the world, I like to believe that when the battle is over, be it a match or political battle we have the maturity to part on social terms, no need for further vilification...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I'm afraid I don't agree with you there. In Ireland we have such low opinion of local talent, it's really disheartening. We are perfectly capable of managing our own projects.

Karl, Maeve, and Jo made a huge sacrifice by resigning and highlighted the 'highjacking' of the year of culture, They paid a high price and for that they deserve our deepest respect. The lack of understanding or real respect the political establishment have in the Arts (Limerick got to know the info on their budget only two and a half months ago, a year after they were told they were awarded the title!!!!) is telling. They can't tell the difference between PR/ corporate events and real art. This was apparent when they thought that they could dictate the contents of a song... as if they were the client in an advert campaign!!

And after the Artistic Directors had gotten most of the prep work done, the political establishment did a classic 'now that we've watched you do it, we 'know how' and can take over from here', routine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

golfball37 wrote: »
    jmch81 wrote: »
    Mike Fitzpatrick to be appointed to City of Culture:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0107/496389-limerick-city-of-culturelimerick-city-of-culture/
    http://www.limerickpost.ie/2014/01/07/mike-fitzpatrick-to-be-appointed-to-city-of-culture/[/QUOTE]

Posts on the journal are saying he's yer wan's brother in law. Couldn't be true could it?

The poster later retracted what he said. Basically it was bull****, like much of the commentary on thejournal.ie

Advertisement