Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

limerick city of sub culture

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭phog

It's your kind of attitude that's helping to kill the city centre. The whole 'won't somebody think to the children' nonsense. There was plenty of entertainment earlier in the day and evening for children and their parents could choose to take them to see fireworks at midnight, as many parents globally, choose to do.

An excellent opportunity to have a well publicised fireworks event at midnight was missed. That would actually have benefited local bars, cafes and restaraunts by keeping people in the city centre til after the midnight fireworks display. It's no wonder the city centre is dying. This is why people spend New Years eve in Dublin, Cork or Galway. I'm not trying to begrudge children anything, I just don't give a rats arse about kids, I'd rather see a thriving city centre tbh.

Are you being deliberately obtuse? Because of the program of events there were crowds around from early evening until after midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭SoCo2009

There was fireworks at midnight??? I was in the pub at that stage :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

bigpink wrote: »
    So a made up thing?and jobs for the boys

The idea is that Limerick would make a bid for European City of Culture in 2020 and this year is a stepping stone towards that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

phog wrote: »
    Are you being deliberately obtuse? Because of the program of events there were crowds around from early evening until after midnight.
    I'm not being obtuse. I saw that the fireworks display was being held at 20.14 on New Years Eve and thought it was ludicrous. 8.14 on New Years Eve, sweet suffering Jesus what idiot dreamt that little nugget up? I didn't bother to go as I couldn't be bothered to travel to Limerick for an early evening of fireworks. The same is probably true for a lot of people who were looking for something to do and who don't live in Limerick.

So I just spent my money elsewhere, which is what a lot of people are doing. Just look at the dying city centre, keep worrying about entertaining children and not catering for adults and it's going to be a lot emptier.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

jbkenn wrote: »
    It's Brian McEnery, a beancounter with BDO Consulting.
    He appears to be a great favourite with Fine Gael, so much so that he is Chairperson of The Health Information and Quality Authority (HIQA), he is also on the board of NAMA and is chair of its audit committee, now also on the board of the City of Culture, he is a Director of the Limerick Chamber of Commerce and a member of the Foundation Body of Limerick Institute of Technology., one wonders how he finds any time to do any beancounting :D

That is allot of state positions! Is there any information as to how much he is receiving for these roles?

I think the Nama appointment was under FF, when it was set up. Any dates on the rest of the appointments?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

So can someone please some up in laymans terms to me whats actually happend here ? Because i started on an acting course in october and all we've heard all along is that there'll be dozens of oppurtunities for new Irish actors because theres loads been poured into the sector because of this whole city of culture thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

So can someone please some up in laymans terms to me whats actually happend here ? Because i started on an acting course in october and all we've heard all along is that there'll be dozens of oppurtunities for new Irish actors because theres loads been poured into the sector because of this whole city of culture thing

you win

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

You have entered an industry that involves back biting, bitching, moaning, and down right St. Munchin'ism. Stick with me and I'll show you how to rise above all that! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭flutered

Previous to being on the board of the City of Culture, he was the director of elections for Michael Noonan in the 2011 General Elections.

I understand that the reason given that none of these positions were advertised and had to be doled out to these individuals is that there was so little time to get things organised before 2014, but why did this event have to take place in 2014 to begin with?

Why not 2015 or 2016? Surely it isn't taking place in Limerick in 2014 as this is Michael Noonan's constituency and it would bring some much needed money into the city in the run up to the Local/European elections.

Maybe I'm just getting cynical in my old age...

who appointed pat cox, how many pensions is he trousering,
    now our county and city manager is a busey man, how he can find the time to look after limericks interests i dont know because he has a few sidelineshttp://www.cooperationireland.org/whatwedo/localauthority/committee
    he has also appointed dr pat daly of the now defunct shannon development to an appointment worth 98,000 per year, the same dr daly was his best man when he got married a few years back, so for fg to say that they would wipe out cronyisn, is akin to saying a duck cannot swim, also our conn seems to have been busey snice his appointment, http://www.lcc.ie/About_Us/Council_Senior_Management/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Who booked the bands for the NYE thing? As in, why The Strypes? Who manages The Strypes?...........

• Advertisement

openess is shunned, cronyism rules, pay your property tax, pay your water rates, dont ask questions, your betters are here only for your good, now aside all them well turned out cronys we have seen in my last post, how many more are there, surveyors, fire chiefs etc plus all these positions requir aan assistant, then never forget all theose people require pensions, no one will ever ask them have they any savings to kep them going, yup folks shell out because the train needs gravy and lots of it to keep running.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

flutered wrote: »
    openess is shunned, cronyism rules, pay your property tax, pay your water rates, dont ask questions, your betters are here only for your good, now aside all them well turned out cronys we have seen in my last post, how many more are there, surveyors, fire chiefs etc plus all these positions requir aan assistant, then never forget all theose people require pensions, no one will ever ask them have they any savings to kep them going, yup folks shell out because the train needs gravy and lots of it to keep running.

Just heard the whole meeting on eireleaks, Ryan wouldn't answer anything, feckin gravy train is right. cox is a gifted spoofer, the mere sound of his self-serving voice makes my blood boil.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

good that somebody who recorded put it up for us all to hear http://eireleaks.wordpress.com/2014/01/04/limerick-city-of-culture-public-meeting-030114/

and a few annotations aswell https://soundcloud.com/eireleaks/limerick-city-of-culture

why cox have to protect ryan so much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Patricia Ryan has fallen on her own sword, from here.

About time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Sounds like she was fired to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

A very sorry affair all told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭IrishSkyBoxer

Ryan is no loss to the board, won't go into greater detail here as it would be improper.

Unfortunate that such a great city falls victim to the backpats and handjobs culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

<snip>

Don't know either of them, but seeing as you're so adamant, do you care to tell us what your dealings with them have been and maybe who you are too?

zulutango wrote: »
    Don't know either of them, but seeing as you're so adamant, do you care to tell us what your dealings with them have been and maybe who you are too?

Obviously can't post my personal interactions with them.

Their behaviour in relation to the City of Culture is fairly damning in itself though, negating the need for me to back up my statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Obviously can't post my personal interactions with them.

Their behaviour in relation to the City of Culture is fairly damning in itself though, negating the need for me to back up my statements.

but it is not really no, at least not in the extraordinary language you have used.

So if you stand over that you do need to give more detail.

• Advertisement

marienbad wrote: »
    but it is not really no, at least not in the extraordinary language you have used.

So if you stand over that you do need to give more detail.

In light of my need to not disclose personal information, I have edited my post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Sounds to me like she has been sacrificed in the hope they can bury this story. Knowing the media in this country, it probably will be buried but shouldn't be. its higher up the food chain the resignations should also be coming from in my humble opinion.

i guess i am off her christmas card list, after starting this thread, can i call this thread my good deed for 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

A piece on Morning Edition RTE, suggestions that Ms Ryan is getting the gardai involved over alleged hacking of her phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

RikkFlair wrote: »
    A piece on Morning Edition RTE, suggestions that Ms Ryan is getting the gardai involved over alleged hacking of her phone.

That woman has been put under enormous pressure...whether you like her or not, or agree with her or not, the media exposure has been ridiculous....I have never seen anything like the media storm we have just witnessed! I hope she quickly shakes off her experience...and continues to enjoy life in whatever capacity she finds herself in...

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

That woman has been put under enormous pressure...whether you like her or not, or agree with her or not, the media exposure has been ridiculous....I have never seen anything like the media storm we have just witnessed! I hope she quickly shakes off her experience...and continues to enjoy life in whatever capacity she finds herself in...

I have little sympathy tbh. She and her cronies tried to pull a stroke and pocket a heap of taxpayers cash in a position she was completely unsuitable for. Perhaps more backlash against these kind of shenanigans will send a strong message to deter further skullduggery from the political class.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Taco Chips wrote: »
    I have little sympathy tbh. She and her cronies tried to pull a stroke and pocket a heap of taxpayers cash in a position she was completely unsuitable for. Perhaps more backlash against these kind of shenanigans will send a strong message to deter further skullduggery from the political class.

We need to see more of this type of strong reaction to the cronyism which is rampant in Irish public life. Well done to the people of Limerick. Listening to Pat Cox on Pat Kenny, I am only reminded of Roddy Molloy of Fás!! :(

is she being renumerated in any way after/for leaving, you know the golden handshake crack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

personally i hope they bring in someone from outside to oversee the artistic side of things..and not someone local. It will only lead to more problems. I also hope they all remember there is more to the culture of any city than just the arts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

vkid wrote: »
    personally i hope they bring in someone from outside to oversee the artistic side of things..and not someone local. It will only lead to more problems. I also hope they all remember there is more to the culture of any city than just the arts.

Why not a few 'pop up restaurants' serving quality trad Irish food?

Don't think think I could stomach too much of the smug arty farty stuff

Advertisement