Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

limerick city of sub culture

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

vkid wrote: »
    As it is being spent currently, i think it is a complete waste of tax payers money and would prefer to see it diverted into something actually beneficial to the city, like the Opera Centre site. If the city is to get money from the tax payer at all, i'd prefer it used for the city centre which is a kip, where it comes from is moot to the point really.

Again, you miss the point. The City of Culture budget is only available for Limerick as the City of Culture in 2014. My point was we have secured it and it will be spent in Limerick in 2014.

Your other points of Limerick city centre being a kip are not really highlighting anything new and do not add anything relevant to your point.

€253m was allocated to Limerick Regeneration over a 10 year period in Budget 2013. UL has secured funding worth over €200m from the EIB. There is supposed to be an announcement soon on the proposed funding of the Limerick 2030 plan. These funding elements are being used to address the core problem of the City Centre.

The €6m for the City of Culture has been given to us by Noonan. I'm not happy with the way some of it is being spent, but I'm not cultural by any means. We shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth but as I said in a previous post, if 1/3 of the activity of 2014 is repeated in 2015, it will put the City on a more positive Artistic pedestal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Again, you miss the point. The City of Culture budget is only available for Limerick as the City of Culture in 2014. My point was we have secured it and it will be spent in Limerick in 2014.

Your other points of Limerick city centre being a kip are not really highlighting anything new and do not add anything relevant to your point.

€253m was allocated to Limerick Regeneration over a 10 year period in Budget 2013. UL has secured funding worth over €200m from the EIB. There is supposed to be an announcement soon on the proposed funding of the Limerick 2030 plan. These funding elements are being used to address the core problem of the City Centre.

The €6m for the City of Culture has been given to us by Noonan. I'm not happy with the way some of it is being spent, but I'm not cultural by any means. We shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth but as I said in a previous post, if 1/3 of the activity of 2014 is repeated in 2015, it will put the City on a more positive Artistic pedestal.

Again, I do not care what budget the money came from or where it would have went had Limerick not been given this project. I personally think any money coming into the city should be used for other things first than this particular project. The city centre is a disgrace. Its a like a ghetto in parts and needs to be addressed...and for my mind that is one of many many things that should be a priority before any money spent on art exhibitions and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Again, I do not care what budget the money came from or where it would have went had Limerick not been given this project. I personally think any money coming into the city should be used for other things first than this particular project. The city centre is a disgrace. Its a like a ghetto in parts and needs to be addressed...and for my mind that is one of many many things that should be a priority before any money spent on art exhibitions and the like.

That is not the point , laudable thought it may be , We are given this money to spend on culture and nothing else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

So what happened at the public meeting friday night?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

bigpink wrote: »
    So what happened at the public meeting friday night?

Nothing, the meeting is being held on Friday the 17th. I would suggest some of the keyboard warriors on here could do worse than attend, might enlighten them somewhat.

• Advertisement

jbkenn wrote: »
    Nothing, the meeting is being held on Friday the 17th. I would suggest some of the keyboard warriors on here could do worse than attend, might enlighten them somewhat.

Might I ask, as politely as I can, how do you define/identify these keyboard warriors and what makes you not one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

marienbad wrote: »
    Might I ask, as politely as I can, how do you define/identify these keyboard warriors and what makes you not one ?
    Simply, I was at the original meeting, and was witness to what transpired, I am not a member of the "Arts Community" just an ordinary citizen, and, as an ordinary citizen I am eternally grateful to Ritchie Ryan for calling the original meeting and enabling the exercising of citizen democracy, forcing City Hall to backpeddle and explain themselves, something they have never done before, and, I doubt, will ever do again.

That is not the point , laudable thought it may be , We are given this money to spend on culture and nothing else.

It is exactly the point when addressing how peoples tax money is being spent. Be it the arts, the roads or whatever else it comes from central funds / taxation and Limerick and the country in general have better things to be doing than blowing 6m on a make-upey city of culture.To be honest, I'd also like to know how Limerick was appointed this title and what the selection criteria were...as many would.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

It is exactly the point when addressing how peoples tax money is being spent. Be it the arts, the roads or whatever else it comes from central funds / taxation and Limerick and the country in general have better things to be doing than blowing 6m on a make-upey city of culture.To be honest, I'd also like to know how Limerick was appointed this title and what the selection criteria were...as many would.

Its just a way of promoting limerick nationally and internationally. Its got a battering in the media in recent years and anything that can improve the image of the city should be welcomed.

jbkenn wrote: »
    Simply, I was at the original meeting, and was witness to what transpired, I am not a member of the "Arts Community" just an ordinary citizen, and, as an ordinary citizen I am eternally grateful to Ritchie Ryan for calling the original meeting and enabling the exercising of citizen democracy, forcing City Hall to backpeddle and explain themselves, something they have never done before, and, I doubt, will ever do again.

So how does that make others keyboard warriors then ?

• Advertisement

If I had my way there would be no such thing as sports grants, culture grants, language grants, etc until every child was housed fed and educated .

But I don't so if the powers that be have decided the this 6 million must be spent on culture and only culture then why not Limerick ?

lufties wrote: »
    Its just a way of promoting limerick nationally and internationally. Its got a battering in the media in recent years and anything that can improve the image of the city should be welcomed.

Well the CoC is not exactly achieving that so far is it? In the papers again this morning, for the wrong reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Well the CoC is not exactly achieving that so far is it? In the papers again this morning, for the wrong reasons.

I would say the right reasons if it highlights cronyism, but that is just my opinion.

Baaaaaaaaaaaa:D

What has happened now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,068 ✭✭✭✭phog

Anyone here at Riverdance last night? How did that go?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Don't know how last night's performance was, but my lovely other half is going to it tonight with her sister.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I heard it was excellent! It got a standing ovation at the end! There was a great buzz out in UL yesterday evening as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Sums up this place pretty well.

Major event goes well, not a peep out of anyone.
    If there had been a minor problem with the bar arrangements or production, then you'd have all the usual suspects piling in to offer their "well informed" opinions and slating the people involved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

I dont think Riverdance was ever going to fail or have problems they are international touring event.Ul was being used and there is a promoter involved

I dont think Riverdance was ever going to fail or have problems they are international touring event.Ul was being used and there is a promoter involved

But I'm sure you'd have been on hand to let us know if so something had gone wrong. You must be a bit disappointed this morning.

• Advertisement

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Sums up this place pretty well.

Major event goes well, not a peep out of anyone.
    If there had been a minor problem with the bar arrangements or production, then you'd have all the usual suspects piling in to offer their "well informed" opinions and slating the people involved.

and there you are complaining about no one complaining, does that make you one of the 'usual suspects' as you call them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Myself and other half there last night. Absolutely fantastic show, superb dancers, fantastic musicians, sound quality perfect, venue handled itself very well!

Before the show I wondered how what began as a eurovision interval act had been so successful for 20 years-now I know!

Lets get more gigs to this superb venue!

P.S One small gripe- the seats could have been more comfortable:rolleyes:

and there you are complaining about no one complaining, does that make you one of the 'usual suspects' as you call them

No, I wasn't complaining I was making a point. Big difference.

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    No, I wasn't complaining I was making a point. Big difference.

No you are just complaining , you must be disappointed this morning .

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭jcon1913

If you've nothing positive to say then leave it at that, you're one of the first in with the negatives, as pointed out by other posters here.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

What's the parking situation like for Riverdance? The thought of trying to find a space when 2k or so other people will be doing the same thing is a bit daunting! :eek: Is there anywhere local to have a decent meal beforehand - a park and ride ... any other suggestions out there please?

Great to hear that it's a good show and really looking forward to seeing it. I remember the original appearance all those years ago and how fantastic it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,068 ✭✭✭✭phog

iora_rua wrote: »
    What's the parking situation like for Riverdance? The thought of trying to find a space when 2k or so other people will be doing the same thing is a bit daunting! :eek: Is there anywhere local to have a decent meal beforehand - a park and ride ... any other suggestions out there please?

Great to hear that it's a good show and really looking forward to seeing it. I remember the original appearance all those years ago and how fantastic it was.

You could try parking in the church car park outside the "back gate" which is reasonably close to the Sports Arena.

Not sure about places to eat that side of town. Azur near Barrington's could be an option and may do an early bird menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

After a shaky opening the wheels are back on the wagon and the silence from the doom and gloom merchants is deafening!You wouldn't mind constructive criticism but these people that make it their single and sole duty to run Limerick into the ground at every available opportunity just make your blood boil.As an earlier post said if there was a fault with the air conditioning at the riverdance event or if the beer was not served at the right temperature then the moaners and the begrudgers would be pounding their keyboards into submission right now!Were not even in February yet so this event can still be made a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

Or when an event goes well they will still snipe and moan regardless!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭flutered

finnigans is out near there, fast service, always nearly full good food, clean jacks, the kilmurry lodge is also out that way, again good food always a crowd there as well plenty parking, within walking distance if the evening is fine.

Advertisement