Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

limerick city of sub culture

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

There are only a few politicians that this city has produced that have the calibre of Pat Cox, I would be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt, I do understand how others mightn't be so generous.

I have never seen a CV where people would include details of failed interviews mind, had I have known I can do that I'll start applying to every CEO position that is advertised...I might just land a CFO position!!

If by the caliber of politicians thing you mean the ability so smoothly stick up 2 fingers, then you are probably right. His comments today that ah sure its probably for the best indicates the level of disrespect he has for the whole project and the people of the city in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

D1stant wrote: »
    If by the caliber of politicians thing you mean the ability so smoothly stick up 2 fingers, then you are probably right. His comments today that ah sure its probably for the best indicates the level of disrespect he has for the whole project and the people of the city in general.

He was once President of the European Parliament, for whatever that is worth, I can't see too many other politicians in this city or country for that matter who could get to that level, I am not going to defend the man in any way shape or form...I merely stated that i was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt...as I am not involved in this sorry mess I have no idea where the blame lies, until that becomes clearer I'll continue to sit on the fence...

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭JD Dublin

Yet globally that doesn't appear to be a concern, thus New Year's eve fireworks are set off at midnight. It was a bit of a farce, be honest. If they tried that in any major city in the world there'd be uproar. I can't see Sidney or London rescheduling to 8ish pm so the children can stay up and watch the fireworks, what a joke. A bit too bloody Irish.
    I'm at a loss to explain why you'd begrudge small children a chance to see fireworks.:confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Marcus Halberstram

JD Dublin wrote: »
    I'm at a loss to explain why you'd begrudge small children a chance to see fireworks.:confused::confused::confused:

I think you are missing the point. Nobody wants to begrudge children anything. Do you say that about Sydney, London, New York and every other major city that has fireworks at midnight on NYE? Of course not. The 20:14 fireworks signifying the launch of the City of Culture was confused by a lot of people as being fireworks to celebrate the new year, leaving a lot of people wondering why they weren't at midnight like, you know, the rest of the globe.

Can you see the confusion now?

I think you are missing the point. Nobody wants to begrudge children anything. Do you say that about Sydney, London, New York and every other major city that has fireworks at midnight on NYE? Of course not. The 20:14 fireworks signifying the launch of the City of Culture was confused by a lot of people as being fireworks to celebrate the new year, leaving a lot of people wondering why they weren't at midnight like, you know, the rest of the globe.

Yes I can see the confusion - but whats the problem? Who gives a stuff what time it is held? I really see this a chance for the ''knockers'' ( quoting the late Jim Kemmy ) to be out having a moan about something or other. That's what I see TBH.

• Advertisement

But there was fireworks at midnight!

This is actually hilarious...you don't think the city fathers pushed the fireworks up to 8.14 in an attempt to fool the citizens as to what time it actually was? I know we have our problems here but this isn't North Vietnam!!!!

I thought it was a nice touch to be fair, there was hundreds of kids around the city centre who got to see a fireworks display....nothing more sinister than that...

But there was fireworks at midnight!

This is actually hilarious...you don't think the city fathers pushed the fireworks up to 8.14 in an attempt to fool the citizens as to what time it actually was? I know we have our problems here but this isn't North Vietnam!!!!

I thought it was a nice touch to be fair, there was hundreds of kids around the city centre who got to see a fireworks display....nothing more sinister than that...

Stop putting words in my mouth. Thank you. I was merely clarifying why there was confusion. And lots of people having seen the first firework display thought that was it for the night.

Stop putting words in my mouth. Thank you. I was merely clarifying why there was confusion. And lots of people having seen the first firework display thought that was it for the night.
    That's a fair point - who knew there was a second helping of fireworks? I didn't.

That's a fair point - who knew there was a second helping of fireworks? I didn't.

Neither did I and I checked the website and there is no mention of it. If people knew that there were two fireworks displays, one at 8:14 and again at midnight then they would hardly be asking why weren't the fireworks at 8:14 on at midnight instead. And this won't somebody think of the children line is just being trotted out to vilify people that are asking questions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Is Limerick a world or European city of culture?Someone told me its just Irish city of culture

• Advertisement

Neither did I and I checked the website and there is no mention of it. If people knew that there were two fireworks displays, one at 8:14 and again at midnight then they would hardly be asking why weren't the fireworks at 8:14 on at midnight instead. And this won't somebody think of the children line is just being trotted out to vilify people that are asking questions.
    My friend you have too much time on your hands. This thread has run its course on the subject of fireworks as far as I am concerned. Best of luck to all for 2014.

My friend you have too much time on your hands. This thread has run its course on the subject of fireworks as far as I am concerned. Best of luck to all for 2014.

Strange comment seen as you just commented on this yourself. My time and how I spend it is none of your business with all due respect.

Stop putting words in my mouth, this isn't a "please think of the children" line...it was a fireworks display for the benefit of the children...I didn't know about it either but someone pointed it out to me, my initial reaction wasn't "that's a joke" it was "that was nice" but I suppose that is the difference between likes of you and likes of me...

Stop putting words in my mouth, this isn't a "please think of the children" line...it was a fireworks display for the benefit of the children...I didn't know about it either but someone pointed it out to me, my initial reaction wasn't "that's a joke" it was "that was nice" but I suppose that is the difference between likes of you and likes of me...

Again, you are guilty of putting words in my mouth as you are determined to cause an argument here. Pumpkinseeds described it as a joke NOT ME.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

bigpink wrote: »
    Is Limerick a world or European city of culture?Someone told me its just Irish city of culture

Just the Irish city of culture, first ever I believe.

So a made up thing?and jobs for the boys

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

bigpink wrote: »
    So a made up thing?and jobs for the boys

What makes the Irish City of Culture a "made up thing", in contrast to the European one? :confused:

If European we would get more coverage and at the moment being an Irish one is a farce

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭regress

hundreds of kids around the city centre who got to see a fireworks display.......

In North Vietnam they had their fireworks at midnight. But that's probably because they don't care about the children. And wasn't launching the 2014 year of culture at 20:14 in 2013 a lovely touch.

regress wrote: »
    In North Vietnam they had their fireworks at midnight. But that's probably because they don't care about the children. And wasn't launching the 2014 year of culture at 20:14 in 2013 a lovely touch.

Well the official launch started at 5.30...the concert began at 8.30...I simply don't get how anyone can have a problem with the timing. Most NYs celebration begin earlier than 12 o'clock...if there hadn't been fireworks at 12 I'd say something...

I can see someone having an issue with communication, but to be fair it's not a major issue...it wasn't like nobody knew...and if you missed it there was another display at 12 as per usual...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I think you are missing the point. Nobody wants to begrudge children anything. Do you say that about Sydney, London, New York and every other major city that has fireworks at midnight on NYE? Of course not.

They do exactly that in Sydney with a 9pm fireworks display for the benefit of the children ahead of the more globally known display. It's a wonderful idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 forgottenyour

Can anybody please tell me why the fireworks at midnight were not advertised anywhere i.e. limerick post and so on . Does not make a bit of sense to me you spend thousands on fireworks for midnight but tell nobody in Limerick about it. Was at the fire works at 20:14 would have loved to have gone to the midnight ones. I really don't know how any ..AND I MEAN ANY of these people are paid so much money

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

Ireland realistically only has 4 cities (Dublin,Cork,Limerick,Galway (populations above 70,000)).
    Northern Ireland (Belfast,Derry (2013 UK City of Culture), Lisburn) is included in the UK City of Culture as Derry was included in 2013.

So the ''National City of Culture'' will return to one of the 4 Irish cities at least once every 8years. Not something which will take any effort for the city to gain the City of Culture status.

A European City of Culture is what should really be aimed for as it is not guaranteed and takes effort to gain that status.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭jcon1913

Interesting interview with Brian McHenry this morning on RTE Radio One if anyone cares to listen back to it. He is on a board with responsibility for running the City of Culture. I didn't hear it all but he had some interesting points to make. He did say that Karl Wallace the Art Director who resigned, was backing an event costing 1.8 million, and when the board decided that was not happenning, he resigned. Or words to that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Irger

If there would not had been any Fireworks at 12 but at 20:14, then that would be a point to give out and not that there was. Its common sense, that there would be one at midnight. If some one doesn't though that there would be one, then you know what the someone has missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

jcon1913 wrote: »
    Interesting interview with Brian McHenry
    It's Brian McEnery, a beancounter with BDO Consulting.
    He appears to be a great favourite with Fine Gael, so much so that he is Chairperson of The Health Information and Quality Authority (HIQA), he is also on the board of NAMA and is chair of its audit committee, now also on the board of the City of Culture, he is a Director of the Limerick Chamber of Commerce and a member of the Foundation Body of Limerick Institute of Technology., one wonders how he finds any time to do any beancounting :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

jbkenn wrote: »
    He appears to be a great favourite with Fine Gael, so much so that he is Chairperson of The Health Information and Quality Authority (HIQA), he is also on the board of NAMA and is chair of its audit committee, now also on the board of the City of Culture, he is a Director of the Limerick Chamber of Commerce and a member of the Foundation Body of Limerick Institute of Technology., one wonders how he finds any time to do any beancounting :D

So much for new politics..

Its just FG's turn now.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Exile on Grafton St.

jbkenn wrote: »

Previous to being on the board of the City of Culture, he was the director of elections for Michael Noonan in the 2011 General Elections.

I understand that the reason given that none of these positions were advertised and had to be doled out to these individuals is that there was so little time to get things organised before 2014, but why did this event have to take place in 2014 to begin with?

Why not 2015 or 2016? Surely it isn't taking place in Limerick in 2014 as this is Michael Noonan's constituency and it would bring some much needed money into the city in the run up to the Local/European elections.

Maybe I'm just getting cynical in my old age...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

It's your kind of attitude that's helping to kill the city centre. The whole 'won't somebody think to the children' nonsense. There was plenty of entertainment earlier in the day and evening for children and their parents could choose to take them to see fireworks at midnight, as many parents globally, choose to do.

An excellent opportunity to have a well publicised fireworks event at midnight was missed. That would actually have benefited local bars, cafes and restaraunts by keeping people in the city centre til after the midnight fireworks display. It's no wonder the city centre is dying. This is why people spend New Years eve in Dublin, Cork or Galway. I'm not trying to begrudge children anything, I just don't give a rats arse about kids, I'd rather see a thriving city centre tbh.

• Advertisement

It's your kind of attitude that's helping to kill the city centre. The whole 'won't somebody think to the children' nonsense. There was plenty of entertainment earlier in the day and evening for children and their parents could choose to take them to see fireworks at midnight, as many parents globally, choose to do.

An excellent opportunity to have a well publicised fireworks event at midnight was missed. That would actually have benefited local bars, cafes and restaraunts by keeping people in the city centre til after the midnight fireworks display. It's no wonder the city centre is dying. This is why people spend New Years eve in Dublin, Cork or Galway. I'm not trying to begrudge children anything, I just don't give a rats arse about kids, I'd rather see a thriving city centre tbh.

But the city centre was thriving, it was thronged, I've never seen it as packed for NYs...not just with kids but with families/revellers...it was a great atmosphere...I've spent NY in both Dublin and Cork and ordinarily it ain't no different...it is hit and miss no matter where you go...Dingle is the only place I've heard consistently great reports of, apparently it is class for NYs...

Admittedly I didn't spot anyone walking around in a state of confusion, but I was too busy having a ball.

Advertisement