Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Charges / Tax / Demonstrations / Irish Water / Meter Installations etc etc

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Thanks for pointing this out, but I'm not worried about paying my bill, I could ring them up and pay over the phone if I wanted, I'm drawing attention to the fact the the whole system is a complete farces and doesn't work!

I mean it's a complete and utter joke!!!

Have either of you tried to pay your bill using their online system, or had to have any dealings with them over the phone?

You didn't register before the deadline. You're landlord did.
    Get him to register for the grant and reimburse you the €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Krazzzzy Kay

wench wrote: »
    I haven't tried to use their own site, I try to avoid giving out my details when I don't have to.

I'm the very same, but this is just entering your credit card details and nothing else, it's a simple system to setup and is completely secure.

You didn't register before the deadline. You're landlord did.
    Get him to register for the grant and reimburse you the €100.

They only allow one grant per person, even though she was sent out two grant application forums, one for her home and the other for the house we rent.

like I have said before, the system is a complete farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,432 ✭✭✭TheChizler

aunt aggie wrote: »
    Recently applied for the grant. You have to provide PPS and bank account IBAN and BIC to process application. I wouldn't have thought anyone unwilling to pay would provide this kind of information.

To the department of social protection who would have the PPS for everyone and the bank details for most people anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 slanket

Hi all,

Does anyone know if I will have to get a water meter installed and pay the bills before I sell my house? Irish Water are in our estate at the moment.

Thanks

• Advertisement

hillbloom wrote: »
    Mod please move if this is in wrong forum!
    I am sharing a house with 3 other professionals. The lease is through a Letting Agent so we don't have any dealings with the landlord. One of the tenants registered his details with Irish Water & we share the bill. He applied for the 100e Grant & its in his account now. Can we share that 100e or do we have to give it to the Letting Agent for the Landlord.
    It's for the person who registered, and intended to be spent on water conservation measures, so ideally he should be spending it on water saving devices that you'll all use. If you're not going to spend it on water saving then it's up to you to argue about if you're going to split it. The landlord has no claim over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

They only allow one grant per person, even though she was sent out two grant application forums, one for her home and the other for the house we rent.

like I have said before, the system is a complete farce.

What is a farce about only giving a person a grant once?

I didn't receive any registration documentation, is the onus on me to go and get it?

We got a reg document but one of my housemates decided to throw it away as he was "anti-water charges"

I just rang up and said I got no pack and was registered in 5 mins so yes the onus was on you to ring up if you didn't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭GavMan

Installation is nothing to do with you really.

I'd imagine you'll need to pay your bill for the sake of handiness if nothing else

psinno wrote: »
    What is a farce about only giving a person a grant once?

The whole system. I'm not looking for sympathy, I'm stating the facts, the system doesn't work in multiple ways.

I've had nothing but trouble trying to get set up with Irish water, If you believe that I'm not entitled to the grant because I didn't register in time, please take into consideration that I wasn't living in the house when the registration forums were sent out and never received any forums, my landlord registered the house in her name and informed me after the fact.

And even though she can only claim for one house she was sent out 2 grant applications, I can log on to the grant application site right now with her account number and my WPRN number and apply for the grant, i haven't done this because the outcome could be messy, but the fact that I can do it is ridiculous.

Even if you still think I'm at fault for not registering, it took 3 weeks, multiple phone calls and a string of straight up lies on the part of Irish water reps before I was able to access my account, and then after all that I can't even pay my bill because the online payment system wont accept my card.

You tell me how that's not a farce:mad:

• Advertisement

We got a reg document but one of my housemates decided to throw it away as he was "anti-water charges"

I just rang up and said I got no pack and was registered in 5 mins so yes the onus was on you to ring up if you didn't get it.

Bull**** the onus is not on me, what if I don't watch TV or go online, assume I've never heard of Irish water, I'm supposed to go out and look for something I've never heard of?

That wasn't the case as was brought up in my previous thread, we we're forced into a possession where we had to register, I'm not having that debate again, we had no choice, we registered end of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

I registered before 30-June, well I should say, I sent off an application to register, I haven't heard a thing back, before I registered I received 2 bills in my name for two different amounts within 2 days, the third bill came addressed to "the occupier" in August, So I wrote to them yesterday to see whats going on, because when I contact any other way they want my phone number or email, (which I haven't supplied on application) when I don't give it I seem to get no answer to my query.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

TheChizler wrote: »
    To the department of social protection who would have the PPS for everyone and the bank details for most people anyway?

PPS number Yes but why would they have account details for most people?

selous wrote: »
    I registered before 30-June, well I should say, I sent off an application to register, I haven't heard a thing back, before I registered I received 2 bills in my name for two different amounts within 2 days, the third bill came addressed to "the occupier" in August, So I wrote to them yesterday to see whats going on, because when I contact any other way they want my phone number or email, (which I haven't supplied on application) when I don't give it I seem to get no answer to my query.

I refused to give them my mobile number multiple times.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

slanket wrote: »
    Hi all,

Does anyone know if I will have to get a water meter installed and pay the bills before I sell my house? Irish Water are in our estate at the moment.

Thanks

Meter isn't required; its quite likely that the sellers solicitor will insist the (fixed) bills have been paid just to prevent their client having any headaches though.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

As long as the property has been registered then the bill belongs to the registered person. In that sense it is like an electricity bill.
    The buyer's solicitor can ask that the property is registered but I doubt they can insist the bill is paid. The new owner simply rings Irish Water & takes over the bill from the date of purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,502 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Bull**** the onus is not on me, what if I don't watch TV or go online, assume I've never heard of Irish water, I'm supposed to go out and look for something I've never heard of?.

Yes, the onus is on you. It was widely publicised. What do you expect, a personal telegram or something? You missed the deadline, no grant for you, simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

April 73 wrote: »
    As long as the property has been registered then the bill belongs to the registered person. In that sense it is like an electricity bill.
    The buyer's solicitor can ask that the property is registered but I doubt they can insist the bill is paid. The new owner simply rings Irish Water & takes over the bill from the date of purchase.

Our last landlady sold the house we were renting a few months ago and the buyers solicitors insisted on proof that the occupants were registered and all bills up to date. We were anyway so I don't know what would have happened if we weren't.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    PPS number Yes but why would they have account details for most people?
    Benefits mostly, child benefit is paid into bank accounts and jobseeker's is now too AFAIK, I imagine they'd have bank account details for at least one member of households with children close to half if not more of households in the country. Also if you've ever been means tested by social welfare they would have required the details of any bank accounts you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭wetlandsboy

Hi all,
    In July I commenced a tenancy on an apartment. At that time I transferred my Irish Water details to this property, so I have being paying IW for the water/wastewater services since occupancy. Recently, it emerged that my landlord had registered the property with Irish Water, but didn't follow this up with the previous tenants with-a-view to transferring IW details to their names. Further, he hadn't paid his IW bill from the date of the registration of the property to my occupancy. Obviously this is his issue, and not mine. However, in the last few days, the management company of the apartment block has written me, saying they will cut of my water supply unless I pay Irish Water. This raises a number of questions: (1) how did the management company find out that the landlord hasn't paid IW? (2) are they legally entitled to do so, as it is an issue between the owner of the property and IW? (3) can they take such an action?

Any thoughts welcome.

• Advertisement

The current supply is a matter between you and Irish Water, I don't see how the management company could cut you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Looking for a bit of advice on an Irish Water billing/metering issue. Don't want to post on their Talk To forum

Got my first bill last year and the metered usage came out at about €240 (for 3 months, 1 year would be €1,000). Living in the house on my own and out of the house for most of the day. Got a letter then from them regarding a possible leak. Their tech came out and said it wasn't at the meter, they turned off the stop cock in the house and ascertained that there wasn't a leak between the meter and stop cock. Told me it must be in the house.

I have had a plumber look all around the house and he has said there is no leak. No leaky tanks, no damp spots, no smell of stagnant water from under floor boards.

Was even away for 2 weeks at one point with no one in the house and the 3 month usage came back at roughly the same as the previous 3 months.

Anybody have any advise on where I can take this further? I know it's capped now but not happy to let this go till metered usage comes in. Thinking the meter itself maybe faulty.

Mods, if there's a more appropriate forum, please feel free to move.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Read the meter last thing at night, run no water, and check usage in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

The only really obvious thing I can think of its that your meter is actually supplying more than just your house.

Read the meter last thing at night, run no water, and check usage in the morning.

I've tried that. Flushed the loo/brushed teeth (as in used all the water I was going to use for the night) and waited about an hour for the tank to fill again then read the meter. Read it next morning and it said I'd used like 300 litres overnight.

my3cents wrote: »
    The only really obvious thing I can think of its that your meter is actually supplying more than just your house.

I thought of that. It's in an estate, straight line of houses. Neighbours both sides are getting regular usage. Below the cap even.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I've tried that. Flushed the loo/brushed teeth (as in used all the water I was going to use for the night) and waited about an hour for the tank to fill again then read the meter. Read it next morning and it said I'd used like 300 litres overnight.

Then, unless your meter point is supplying another premises as well, you have a leak.

Use the Talk to... forum.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Do as Srameen suggests, then repeat the next night with your internal stopcock turned off if it shows usage.

If you're getting usage shown when you use nothing, there's (probably, meters can be faulty but its not that common and would usually show a vastly higher over-read) a leak somewhere

If that stops when your internal stopcock is off, the leak is in the house
    If it doesn't, its between you and the meter

edit - took a long time to hit reply, so this post is a bit out of date. Try the night with the stopcock off.

Then, unless your meter point is supplying another premises as well, you have a leak.

Use the Talk to... forum.

Irish Water have said there's no leak between the meter and the house. The plumber has said there's no leak in the house. Is it possible it's a faulty meter?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

I would badger IW persistently until they get to the bottom of the problem.

It is obvious there is something wrong, so I would put the onus on them to sort it out.

It could be something as simple as a faulty meter.

Advertisement