Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Charges / Tax / Demonstrations / Irish Water / Meter Installations etc etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

TheChizler wrote: »
    Off topic but I'd love to know how that's a licence and not lease! Does a landlord live there or have access to the private areas?

Sounds like the landlords have messed this up by having such a complicated arrangement. Do all of the bills have the same WPRN? Might be worth sending IW off an email with a list of all the addresses/people affected if they're happy for you to do so.

Edit: It sounds like there's actually only one property, and one mains access, if you look here does the house show up as one property or multiple?

I believe the contract does indeed say the landlord can access any part of the house at any time (in order to keep it justified as a license, doesn't live there though) - really feels like they're trying to get the best of both worlds here though.

My guess was that the landlords elected to have everyone register individually so that the entire lump sum for the house wouldn't be on their head (initially I assumed it was so that 'discount' for signing up for irish water would apply to each room rather than just one for the whole house).

On the page you linked, it's marked as one property. Just a big red shape :P

When I get home after work today I'll take a look at some of the bills and see if we have the same WPRN!
    There is a help page on Boards that might be able to help you http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1643

I failed to notice the Irish Water forum on my search, thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Complexes tend to be one boundary but it would say the number of plans, or individual properties, in the boundary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Kazuma wrote: »
    I believe the contract does indeed say the landlord can access any part of the house at any time (in order to keep it justified as a license, doesn't live there though) - really feels like they're trying to get the best of both worlds here though.
    Any clause like this in a contract can not remove or take away rights bestowed by the residential tenancies act.

If the Landlord does not live in/on the premises than it is a shared house and would be covered by tenancy laws.
    My guess was that the landlords elected to have everyone register individually so that the entire lump sum for the house wouldn't be on their head (initially I assumed it was so that 'discount' for signing up for irish water would apply to each room rather than just one for the whole house).

On the page you linked, it's marked as one property. Just a big red shape :P

When I get home after work today I'll take a look at some of the bills and see if we have the same WPRN!

I failed to notice the Irish Water forum on my search, thanks for that!

My bet is there is some type of scam going on, either by the Landlord or by Irish Water as where there is only one water meter covering the whole property there can only be one bill.

The fact ye all have separate bills means that ye are not in a house-share but technically in individual dwellings and are tenants rather than licensees.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

My wife just got off the phone with Irish Water. They've just sent us our second bill, and it's still unmetered, even though we've had a meter in place since about February.

The person from Irish Water said that the first two bills are always unmetered (after first claiming we didn't have a meter), or something like that (this is third-hand information, as they wouldn't talk to me, so some nuances might have been lost), and they'd give us a rebate later in the year. He also said that the WPRN we had was a placeholder and gave us the real one over the phone.

Is this remotely standard behaviour from IW? Not the evasion, if that is what it is, but the practice of sending out unmetered bills with dummy WPRNs without explanation and then rebating later.

(They won't put my name on the bill with my wife's either, so she has to ring from work, where she has no privacy.)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

tomasrojo wrote: »
    My wife just got off the phone with Irish Water. They've just sent us our second bill, and it's still unmetered, even though we've had a meter in place since about February.

The person from Irish Water said that the first two bills are always unmetered (after first claiming we didn't have a meter), or something like that (this is third-hand information, as they wouldn't talk to me, so some nuances might have been lost), and they'd give us a rebate later in the year. He also said that the WPRN we had was a placeholder and gave us the real one over the phone.

Is this remotely standard behaviour from IW? Not the evasion, if that is what it is, but the practice of sending out unmetered bills with dummy WPRNs without explanation and then rebating later.

(They won't put my name on the bill with my wife's either, so she has to ring from work, where she has no privacy.)

Bills are all unmetered now and capped for everyone. If you actually use less you will get a rebate later on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

To my knowledge, what is correct is that if you become a metered customer and your first metered bills show that your average usage is below the cap, they will give you a refund towards a couple of your previous unmetered bills (not sure how far in the past they would go though).

What seems rather strange is to say that you have had a meter for 6 months but your bills are still unmetered. Did the customer rep clearly acknowledge that you have had a functioning meter since February? If yes I would also question this ...

Bills are all unmetered now and capped for everyone. If you actually use less you will get a rebate later on.

But I know people who have got bills considerably less than the sixty-odd quarterly maximum, and have water use on their bill. So their bills must be metered, no?

Except for the ones that are metered and you use less.

Bob24 wrote: »
    To my knowledge, what is correct is that if you become a metered customer and your first metered bills show that your average usage is below the cap, they will give you a refund towards a couple of your previous unmetered bills (not sure how far in the past they would go though).

What seems rather strange is to say that you have had a meter for 6 months but your bills are still unmetered. Did the customer rep clearly acknowledge that you have had a functioning meter since February? If yes I would also question this ...

From what my wife said (something might have been lost along the way), he said they weren't reading the meter yet. (He also said something odd about the meters being hard to find in the estate because there were so many of them.)

However, I had a query (earlier in this thread) about llow water pressure just after the meter went in, and they emailed me after hassling them for a few weeks to say they'd checked the meter and it showed no leaks in my house, and no problem on their side.

So they effectively said it was functional back then.

But I know people who have got bills considerably less than the sixty-odd quarterly maximum, and have water use on their bill. So their bills must be metered, no?

Yes. I don't have a meter myself, but from the bills that have been posted online, people with a meter should see their actual consumption on the bill as well as 2 amounts: the price it would have costed with that cap, and the actual price they have to pay (including the cap).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Just got the second bill there. Why in the name of god do they make these payable the day before pay day? I know its not a heap of money but it could easily be a struggle for many people to pay it just before they get their wage packet. Is everyone else's pay date the 27 th of this month?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

That's not true. Our water is metered and both our billed were read metered bills. Billed approx €25 and approx €20 respectively for 2 adult and one child.

From what my wife said (something might have been lost along the way), he said they weren't reading the meter yet. (He also said something odd about the meters being hard to find in the estate because there were so many of them.)

However, I had a query (earlier in this thread) about llow water pressure just after the meter went in, and they emailed me after hassling them for a few weeks to say they'd checked the meter and it showed no leaks in my house, and no problem on their side.

So they effectively said it was functional back then.

Technically, what they said is possible. The meters allow wireless reads but the range is pretty short and they need someone to drive on your street every 3 months to get a reading. It is possible they installed the meter and did a first read to ensure it was working, but haven't yet included your area on the regular route of their reading crews.

While it is technically possible, I don't know what their actual processes are and whether it is something they would do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    That's not true. Our water is metered and both our billed were read metered bills. Billed approx €25 and approx €20 respectively for 2 adult and one child.

Out of interest would you consider yourselves very water conservation conscious? That is considerably cheaper than I am paying (40 quid for one adult, unmetered).

Bob24 wrote: »
    Technically, what they said is possible. The meters allow wireless reads but the range is pretty short and they need someone to drive on your street every 3 months to get a reading. It is possible they installed the meter and did a first read to ensure it was working, but haven't yet included your area on the regular route of their reading crews.

While it is technically possible, I don't know what their actual processes are and whether it is something they would do.
    That's very helpful. Thanks! My wife isn't all that technical, so it would be better if I were able to ring them, as I think I'm definitely not getting the whole story. The guy on the phone just now was adamant when my wife asked him that my name couldn't go on the bill with hers.

That's very helpful. Thanks! My wife isn't all that technical, so it would be better if I were able to ring them, as I think I'm definitely not getting the whole story. The guy on the phone just now was adamant when my wife asked him that my name couldn't go on the bill with hers.

No worries - yes I think unless both persons (customer and rep) are technical enough and full understand what they are talking about (which probably requires some luck with the rep you are connected to), it might be difficult to fully understand the situation :-)

Refusing to add your name on the bills definitely seems very dodgy though (and probably not a sign the rep she was talking to is the most helpful).

Contact them on their "Talk To" page here on Boards. http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1643

Done.

Out of interest would you consider yourselves very water conservation conscious? That is considerably cheaper than I am paying (40 quid for one adult, unmetered).
    No we aren't at all. When the first bill was issued to a work colleague I panicked as I had kinda forgotten that we would also be due a bill! Then worried when the second bill was due incase the first one was a mistake but doesn't appear so. No we haven't really watched our water usage although I have reduced down the amount of time I spend in the shower cos I used to spend ages in it. I think the bills are low because we both work full time, our son is in school and then after school care so we are only about in the evenings. Then at the weekends we are busy out and about so that probably helps.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,346 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Well they did have a few spelling errors on the second bill so maybe they have us down as 2 different addresses although I thought there was an address locator on the website.
    I can probably look forward to a litany of threatening letters then for not registering :pac:

Another bill arrived for the previous tenant the other day. They include a due date to pay the bill by but there does not seem to be any consequences to ignoring this date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,188 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My usage would be that low in winter when there's no garden watering going on. Two adults. Had one of the first meters installed and have been checking it from time to time before the billing started.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    No we aren't at all. When the first bill was issued to a work colleague I panicked as I had kinda forgotten that we would also be due a bill! Then worried when the second bill was due incase the first one was a mistake but doesn't appear so. No we haven't really watched our water usage although I have reduced down the amount of time I spend in the shower cos I used to spend ages in it. I think the bills are low because we both work full time, our son is in school and then after school care so we are only about in the evenings. Then at the weekends we are busy out and about so that probably helps.

The bills are capped.. Why would you be expecting a big bill no matter how much water you use???

aido79 wrote: »
    The bills are capped.. Why would you be expecting a big bill no matter how much water you use???

Well because the first bill was lower than anyone else I had spoken to, I was worried they had made a mistake with it, even though it was read and in case they would find a mistake and correct it in our second billing. But no another small read bill so I won't complain. The child allowance really does help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭mel123

Apologies if this has been answered, but I havnt been following the thread and there is so much to read!

A relative is selling off some properties that were being rented out. His solicitor has told him that the water charges need to be paid up in order to complete the sale, is this true? There has been no one living in them for a couple of months, so he cant recoup the money from the tenants, but I was just wondering if anyone has any concrete info on it? I wouldn't have thought this was necessary, if there was an outstanding SKY bill it wouldn't have to be paid by him, so whats the difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

To sell a property both water charges and property tax must be up to date.

athtrasna wrote: »
    To sell a property both water charges and property tax must be up to date.
    Isn't it just a proposal at this stage? WRT water. Can't find anything in the Water Services Act 2014 about it, maybe it's in some property-selling act?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

TheChizler wrote: »
    Isn't it just a proposal at this stage? WRT water. Can't find anything in the Water Services Act 2014 about it, maybe it's in some property-selling act?

No. I know several people who've sold lately and it was a condition of sale.

athtrasna wrote: »
    No. I know several people who've sold lately and it was a condition of sale.
    Any idea which act? And does it apply when the bill was unpaid by tenants?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,188 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Even if its not in legislation there's not a chance a competent solicitor on the buyers side wouldn't insist on it.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Even if its not in legislation there's not a chance a competent solicitor on the buyers side wouldn't insist on it.
    Of course, but that would seem that it's just the buyer's preference, there's currently no absolute requirement?

Advertisement