Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TUF 19 - Penn, Edgar + Pendred & Fields! **Spoilers**

Options
1181920212224»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

Savage elbows i thought looked close to the back of the head maybe,just about on the side so within the rules i spose but pretty savage all the same.

Spohn seems to constantly get himself in that position with the head down and stuck trying to get a take down so he only has himself to blame,Cathal seems to get himself stuck in similiar positions too,think he will struggle with Mike King if i wasn't Irish i would lump on King at 6/4 with paddypower.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Anyone else hoping BJ beats Edgar on sunday? I never really have "favourite" fighters, apart from BJ Penn. I absolutely love the guy, he's a proper legend. Looks in great shape too, but I feel Edgar is just a horrific match up for him.

Agree BJ's a legend if he had a fraction of the drive of someone like Cathal could have done so much more,amazingly talented.

Would be for BJ this week but love frankie to honest too,both came across well on this years TUF think BJ has matured into a much more likeable guy than the last time he was on TUF.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

amkin25 wrote: »
    Agree BJ's a legend if he had a fraction of the drive of someone like Cathal could have done so much more,amazingly talented.

Would be for BJ this week but love frankie to honest too,both came across well on this years TUF think BJ has matured into a much more likeable guy than the last time he was on TUF.

out of sheer curiousity, what is so much more than winning belts in two weight classes in the worlds top organization, being undefeated in lightweight for over 8 years?

out of sheer curiousity, what is so much more than winning belts in two weight classes in the worlds top organization, being undefeated in lightweight for over 8 years?

Lol i didn't say he didnt achieve anything did i? you seem like you been waiting on an argument .

I think its fairly widely accepted that BJ didn't fulfill his potential,even though he scaled great heights i think most people in MMA would accept he could have achieved more given how talented he was.

Matt Hughes used to complain about BJ not being in shape for enough of his fights and often spoke about how great he could have been,again i am not knocking him i loved BJ his take down defense was unmatched,he was just a natural born fighter.

I just pointed out that as much as he did do he could have been better,had a better record held the belt for longer,beaten GSP,their first fight he arguably did win,but had he worked up slower to welterweight for the second one instead of jumping virtually from lightweight to welterweight he would have had a far better shot i'm pretty sure i remember he weighed in a couple pounds under 170 for that one so he was never gonna beat GSP who would be cutting 20 pounds or something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Lima's armbar was sick. I winced myself when he bent it at that weird angle.

Good second fight too. Thought Herb should've stopped the fight sooner when those elbows were pummeling him.

I dunno who I want to win between Edgar and BJ. I love both fighters. Two of the first fighters I probably would have seen when I first started watching MMA.

Should be a good match up but can see Edgar winning by decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Really want Lima to win his bout. He's the only one in the house who's really stood out to me as someone who could go on to do something special in the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

The finale is on right now. Watching the prelims on fightpass while catching up with the main card from last night.

Personally don't think Penn will win. Kind of want him to win though, to get him finish his career on a high. But then again I love Edgar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Walsh looked alot better in that than in the house, think he took it 29-28 imo. Spohn just didnt do enough until the last minute or so!

EDIT - Was spot on, Spohn really didnt live up to the hype from his house entering KO.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Some nosedive from Spohn. He was the favourite to win TUF not long ago and since has been TKO'd by Van Buren and beaten by Walsh. Might not get another UFC fight for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Gordon absolutely destroyed Lima in about 2 minutes. Just battered him.

Cathal lost (barely) to the eventual winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Lots of finishes tonight, unlike that god awful season we have been watching. Edgar will demolish BJ imo, he is way too quick for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Feel very sorry for BJ, bad way to bow out.
    Nothing but admiration for the man,

aloha !

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Serious beating for BJ there. Offered absolutely no resistance what so ever and Frankie just picked him apart until he found the finish. Was just a matter of time really.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

Didn't even know the finale was on, so UFC 175 and the finale were on the same weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,730 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

crybaby wrote: »
    Didn't even know the finale was on, so UFC 175 and the finale were on the same weekend?

Yep sat and Sunday night

Really gutted for BJ. He was my first (and probably only) real favourite UFC fighter, so it's sad to see him go like this. He's taken some horrific beatings over the years. Very tough fight that the UFC gave him aswell, Edgar is probably realistically top 2/3 in the division, for BJ to fight him after so long off was always going to be tough for him. Someone like Charles Oliviera, Denis Bermudez or Dustin Poirier probably would have been a better fight, to get him used to the weight class at least. We'll never know now.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

dulux99 wrote: »
    Really gutted for BJ. He was my first (and probably only) real favourite UFC fighter, so it's sad to see him go like this. He's taken some horrific beatings over the years. Very tough fight that the UFC gave him aswell, Edgar is probably realistically top 2/3 in the division, for BJ to fight him after so long off was always going to be tough for him. Someone like Charles Oliviera, Denis Bermudez or Dustin Poirier probably would have been a better fight, to get him used to the weight class at least. We'll never know now.

That was the fight BJ asked for though, DW should of had the cop on though and matched him against someone else

Think he was interested in the €€€ more than BJ slightly tarnished legacy

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Who do you think that Frankie should fight next? i think it's a shame his career was on hold for a year due to TUF (his last fight was a year to the day of the finale). He's ranked at #3, has only lost title fights against the very best since 2008 (including close Bendo decisions at LW). If we rule out Mendes/Aldo and possibly McGregor/Swanson (Cub will be in Dublin - may be an indication of the UFC's intentions), it has to be someone in the top ten and relatively soon. Poirier? Korean Zombie? Interested to hear your thoughts.

Vim Fuego wrote: »
    Who do you think that Frankie should fight next? i think it's a shame his career was on hold for a year due to TUF (his last fight was a year to the day of the finale). He's ranked at #3, has only lost title fights against the very best since 2008 (including close Bendo decisions at LW). If we rule out Mendes/Aldo and possibly McGregor/Swanson (Cub will be in Dublin - may be an indication of the UFC's intentions), it has to be someone in the top ten and relatively soon. Poirier? Korean Zombie? Interested to hear your thoughts.

UFC have already said that they're sticking with the Aldo/Mendes fight, so if that's delayed 2/3 months, then Cub Swanson may want another fight. Edgar vs Swanson would be the obvious one. That'd be a brilliant scrap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

You're definitely right about that being a scrap for the ages, but I only ruled out Cub as they're flying him out to be in the crowd for the Dublin event. It may or may not be a hint as to where the UFC are going with him. A Conor/Cub fight towards the end of this year is at least possible, but I imagine Swanson doesn't fancy it (on the back of his recent comments) so you could be correct.

I have a feeling that after a year of TUF and a less than challenging fight against BJ, they might give Edgar someone less formidable than Cub Swanson to get back into the true swing of things at featherweight. I'd fancy his chances at any of the guys ranked below him (Poirier, Lamas, Zombie, Guida, Lentz, Siver etc.) but maybe not Aldo/Mendes/Cub but I could watch him fight anyone.

FW might not be the most stacked division (WW is the one right now imo) but there's so many interesting fights to be had. As much as their job is amazing, it must be tough to be Joe Silva or Sean Shelby sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,828 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

shocked spohn lost

big opportunity gone out the window there for him
    thought he would have taken care of walsh without
    too many problems

• Registered Users Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Big wins for Gordon and anderson. Lima didnt look comfortable in there at all vanburen got completely owned.

Very sad to see BJ go out like that, looked very weird from the get go. Agree with the above, edgar vs cub would be a great fight! Makes a lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I was actually slightly depressed watching the BJ fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Easy Rod wrote: »
    I was actually slightly depressed watching the BJ fight.

Then definitely don't watch the post fight presser, tough stuff!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

BJ Penn sucking up to Dana demeaning his own team for lack of commitment, then putting in that performance....
    Sorry lost what little respect I have for BJ now.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭reganreggie

BJ Penn sucking up to Dana demeaning his own team for lack of commitment, then putting in that performance....
    Sorry lost what little respect I have for BJ now.

F me a bit harsh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

F me a bit harsh

Not harsh at all.

When Dana called him into the office saying that the fighters had no desire this year instead of taking some responsibility seeing as he's head coach he just demeaned the fighters.

Sorry but he's a joke.

Advertisement