Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TUF 19 - Penn, Edgar + Pendred & Fields! **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 JojoD51

rusty cole wrote: »
    really?? what a pathetic excuse for a fight,. not too far removed from a couple of mugs fighting for money down a lane!!!

That guy pat could indeed have put out with one front kick but what's worse is that other eejit hadn't the skill, timing or mindset to see it. shocking to watch, what an arsenal that guy had ove walsh even in his reach advantage, long jab etc and still by no means close to coming up with the goods!! you simply could not call it mixed martial arts, end of!!! at one stage pat puts his hands on his knees in an "Im knackered" pose, no dynamism, no fitness, no way can these lads ever hope to make a career for themselves!! I'm starting to think the dregs need only apply policy is in force!!!

lads you can say what you like but compare that to the yrs of griffin, kozchek (spelled wrong I think) herman, bisping etc etc etc. at least these lads had basic skills, unfu#kingbeliveable!

I know I'll get lambasted for this post but you wont change my view, it's tripe, the whole season!! actually it's not just me, dana white actually walked away from one fight it was so bad and then told them they had nothing to offer in albeit uncertain terms "the year of nobody givin a sh!t!!!"

Why would you get lambasted for that? It was weird because of Pat's general style?? And Corey not finishing when like you said a kick would have done the job. It was a bit like watching a car crash but I kind of like Pat!! I can't explain it, I just do.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Felt bad for pat with everyone getting into him in the dressing room. Frankie wasn't coaching them and he wanted extra training, so what if he went to the other team, loyalty kinda goes out the window when you are fighting a teammate for a ufc contact.

Anyway, was screaming for gordo to throw a kick when pat was doing his anderson silva in slo mo impersonation. Begging for a head kick ko. Whatever about the lack of striking skill but give me that anyday over trying to hug each other to death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

really?? what a pathetic excuse for a fight,. not too far removed from a couple of mugs fighting for money down a lane!!!

That guy pat could indeed have put out with one front kick but what's worse is that other eejit hadn't the skill, timing or mindset to see it. shocking to watch, what an arsenal that guy had ove walsh even in his reach advantage, long jab etc and still by no means close to coming up with the goods!! you simply could not call it mixed martial arts, end of!!! at one stage pat puts his hands on his knees in an "Im knackered" pose, no dynamism, no fitness, no way can these lads ever hope to make a career for themselves!! I'm starting to think the dregs need only apply policy is in force!!!

lads you can say what you like but compare that to the yrs of griffin, kozchek (spelled wrong I think) herman, bisping etc etc etc. at least these lads had basic skills, unfu#kingbeliveable!

I know I'll get lambasted for this post but you wont change my view, it's tripe, the whole season!! actually it's not just me, dana white actually walked away from one fight it was so bad and then told them they had nothing to offer in albeit uncertain terms "the year of nobody givin a sh!t!!!"

I definitely think people are getting all caught up in Danas comments,there is no way this is the worst year,in fact i think this year a lot of the fights were so tight because the competition was so stiff.

We obviously won't know for a while yet but i think there will be a number of fighters from this season will make a go of it in the UFC,talentwise i think its been one of the most stacked TUF shows,which has possibly led to some boring fights because all of them had a lot at stake.

I think this is why Cathal and Chris didn't get too far because the competition was so stiff and i expect a few from this years show will be regulars,but time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

amkin25 wrote: »
    I definitely think people are getting all caught up in Danas comments,there is no way this is the worst year,in fact i think this year a lot of the fights were so tight because the competition was so stiff.

We obviously won't know for a while yet but i think there will be a number of fighters from this season will make a go of it in the UFC,talentwise i think its been one of the most stacked TUF shows,which has possibly led to some boring fights because all of them had a lot at stake.

I think this is why Cathal and Chris didn't get too far because the competition was so stiff and i expect a few from this years show will be regulars,but time will tell.

Pull the other one man. The talent pool at 185/205 is pretty bare and if these lads were that good they would have made it into the UFC before now as the UFC isn't exactly some exclusive club anymore with 500 fighters. Lower weight classes have a much better chance of getting great fighters on TUF. Corey had a 7" reach advantage over a slow rubbish fighter who didn't put his hands up and looked like he was dancing at a wedding, yet looked crap himself. It was everything he could have hoped to go his way yet still looked crap, and this guy is the favourite to win the show!

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Felt bad for pat with everyone getting into him in the dressing room. Frankie wasn't coaching them and he wanted extra training, so what if he went to the other team, loyalty kinda goes out the window when you are fighting a teammate for a ufc contact.

Anyway, was screaming for gordo to throw a kick when pat was doing his anderson silva in slo mo impersonation. Begging for a head kick ko. Whatever about the lack of striking skill but give me that anyday over trying to hug each other to death.

I thought pat showd great heart especially soaking up that knee, he was out on his heels for a minute afterwards which shows how bad the other guy was, it should have been over in seconds but these lads are playing it safe, as one poster says. the way pat cried was a bit much, remember the stick matt hammil got from bisping?? ha ha ha wooooooooooh and there's been real verbal showdowns over the years some lad slaggin chris leban over not knowing his dad etc!! MAN UP and tell them to air their grievance in the cage! if they dare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭EvanCornwallis

Pendred & Fields both looked pretty bad on the show ill agree, but to be quite honest, everyone so far on the show has looked utterly awful. Its the worst TUF season i can ever recall. Irish or not, Pendreds last fight was terrible, but his opponent was equally terrible. Im not saying in a couple of years in the UFC he wont mature into a great fighter, but for now im totally unimpressed, with any of the people on the show.

I'll say it so. He has no business near decent level competition and never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Speaking of the talent pool I think people need to remember the former bellator champ didnt even make it into the house.

I'll say it so. He has no business near decent level competition and never will.

oooooh bold words ladies and gents from clubber lang!!! friday humour

I second that to be honest, I'm glad others such as yourself are speaking up. If he was an american or english I'd say the same. Nepotism in a sense has a little to do with it I think.
    I got lashed when I said the same about chris fields, and almost a moderator Ban no less!!!

oooooh bold words ladies and gents from clubber lang!!! friday humour

I second that to be honest, I'm glad others such as yourself are speaking up. If he was an american or english I'd say the same. Nepotism in a sense has a little to do with it I think.
    I got lashed when I said the same about chris fields, and almost a moderator Ban no less!!!

You could have had more tact and he wasn't as bad as you made him out. It didn't help that Van Buren just wanted to clinch but Chris's stand up did look terrible.

There hasn't even been a hint of a finish this season and ill bet there won't be either. There are lads who obviously have skills but if they keep gassing/choking and playing it safe I can't imagine things getting any better when they get a contract. Although in saying that if Pendred - King ends up being a great fight i will hold my hands up, i doubt it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭sonic85

Daniel spohn definitely has knockouts in him. im hoping he KOs van buren next week anyway. would be a shame if it goes the way of the monaghan fight though - which is a possibility.

pats reversal at the end of the first round was lovely - pity the round wasn't a bit longer he may have been able to do some proper damage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

I second that to be honest

More qualified and experienced people than both of you obviously think differently and believe that he deserves a chance on the biggest stage in MMA.

And to say that he has no business near decent level competition is ludicrous just plain stupid when he has been competing against and beating top level fighters already in CW. His last two fights there in particular. The UFC isn't the only place where the best fighters ply their trade.

John_D80 wrote: »
    More qualified and experienced people than both of you obviously think differently and believe that he deserves a chance on the biggest stage in MMA.

And to say that he has no business near decent level competition is ludicrous just plain stupid when he has been competing against and beating top level fighters already in CW. His last two fights there in particular. The UFC isn't the only place where the best fighters ply their trade.

He is still so young too, no reason why he can't get much better.

Good Post.

Except for the last bit which was silly and the start which was completely wrong.

....and the start that was completely wrong.

So you know better than the actual UFC talent scouts and matchmakers, on who has and has not got what it takes to compete in the UFC.

Please do elaborate.

So you know better than the actual UFC talent scouts and matchmakers, on who has and has not got what it takes to compete in the UFC.

Please do elaborate.

You think the talent scouts expect him to make it up the ranks and face the top brass ? lol

All the people scouted onto TUF have been brought on because they're top level or expected to be, yeah ?

Speaking of plain stupid. How did I miss this gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Speaking of plain stupid. How did I miss this gem.

Yeah you're also missing question mark there, pal.

You think the talent scouts expect him to make it up the ranks and face the top brass ? lol

All the people scouted onto TUF have been brought on because they're top level or expected to be, yeah ?

Don't be so stupid. He's getting his shot because people see potential in him. Blinkered people like you are putting a ceiling on his career and potential.

Can you honestly be so obtuse that you cannot concede that being in the UFC will give him opportunities to develop and improve. Nobody, including the matchmakers are expecting a championship contender at this stage of his career but you or nobody else can be so sure that he doesn't deserve to be there without giving him a chance to prove himself.

Yeah you're also missing question mark there, pal.

Thanks. Now spot what you are missing.

Don't be so stupid. He's getting his shot because people see potential in him. Blinkered people like you are putting a ceiling on his career and potential.

Can you honestly be so obtuse that you cannot concede that being in the UFC will give him opportunities to develop and improve. Nobody, including the matchmakers are expecting a championship contender at this stage of his career but you or nobody else can be so sure that he doesn't deserve to be there without giving him a chance to prove himself.

Fighters get brought in to fill cards, expand markets and to be fed to young prospects. If you think everyone is brought in because they are seen to have talent or potential growth , then that's pretty delusional.

Sure he can develop and improve. Problem is that he needs too. We ain't talking slight polishing though, he needs to majorly improve every aspect of his game and I sure don't see him doing that.

At least he's fighting an utter can on his debut, so we will see from there what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,128 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Blinkered people like you are putting a ceiling on his career and potential.
    I don't see how anyone's opinion, blinkered or otherwise, puts a ceiling on or affects his career in any way.
    Performance will decide almost everything.

Mellor wrote: »
    I don't see how anyone's opinion, blinkered or otherwise, puts a ceiling on or affects his career in any way.

That may have been the case before, but it most certainly isn't now. Considering how the UFC has ceased to be purely a sport and is now a glorified soap opera, if enough opinions are negative Dana White won't give you that shot on the main card/better contract etc. When i talk of negative opinions i mean "that guy is crap/boring" not "hes an arrogant twat i can't stand him". If people have positive opinions of you the chances of you getting an easier path to a title shot/better stylistic match up etc is much much greater.

Mellor wrote: »

It wasn't meant literally. I was making the point that sometimes people arent willing to concede a fighters room for improvement and potential to become better when they are exposed to a higher level of competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,128 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Davei141 wrote: »
    That may have been the case before, but it most certainly isn't now. Considering how the UFC has ceased to be purely a sport and is now a glorified soap opera, if enough opinions are negative Dana White won't give you that shot on the main card/better contract etc. When i talk of negative opinions i mean "that guy is crap/boring" not "hes an arrogant twat i can't stand him". If people have positive opinions of you the chances of you getting an easier path to a title shot/better stylistic match up etc is much much greater.
    That's why I said "almost". To allow for the slight title push or resilience you might get from publibmc opinion. But that's all it is. A tiny amount. A fighters ability must get him 99% of the way there.

Why are the negatives the only aspect of these fighters that get discussed.

Obviously they have areas to work on, but in all honesty they could not be where they are and getting trained by who they are if they were as bad as this thread is making out.

I think Pendred is one strong mofo and uses what he knows works and why not? Fields is an interesting fighter to watch, great kicks, not afraid to stand and defensively strong.

They both seem sound and at least they are not a pair of muppets on the show. We all know they have weaknesses but maybe the odd thought on their strengths would be good to discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Henry9

JojoD51 wrote: »
    Why are the negatives the only aspect of these fighters that get discussed.
    They're not, but it's the negatives that cause their buddies and fanboys to get their knickers in a twist about 'begrudgery' and negativity.

The fact that SBG are playing the media/facebook/twitter game of trying to generate buzz and discussion is lost on those who only want to see things they agree with.

#OleOleOle

Henry9 wrote: »
    They're not, but it's the negatives that cause their buddies and fanboys to get their knickers in a twist about 'begrudgery' and negativity.

The fact that SBG are playing the media/facebook/twitter game of trying to generate buzz and discussion is lost on those who only want to see things they agree with.

#OleOleOle

If you look at this thread it's definitely mainly negative and anyone who is positive is automatically a 'fanboy' or 'buddy'.

Regarding SBG, I don't get what your point is.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Henry9

I explained why it's mainly negative, because people get defensive about any negative opinion. Then you get several pages of debating whether the negative opinion is justified.

SBG have for the last couple of years followed a policy of boosting their fighters' profiles on social media. Mainly through continuous self promotion and in the case of McGregor endless and tedious bragging and smack talk.

The justification from the fanboys is that this gets people talking and there's no such thing as bad publicity.
    The proof of this particular pudding is that McGregor is coining it and is considered a favoured UFC prospect.

But the flip side of the "wind everyone up to get them talking and you don't care if they like you or hate you as long as they buy a ticket" is that some people are going to take a dislike to you or your methods.
    And they're entitled to do so.

On a personal level towards the two fighters most people have been pretty positive actually.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The thing is.... how many champions actually talk smack? Renan Barau? Tj Dillishaw? Edgar? BJ? Cain? GSP? Silva? Mighty mouse? .... its not something the very top guys seem to do or seem to HAVE to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

SBG don't have a social media policy to make their fighters promote themselves by any means necessary. It's in ANY fighter's interest to generate some sort of interest or social media profile in an attempt to boost their marketability to ensure they get seen and, in the end, signed to the big show and make some money for what they do. REAL money. Obviously backed by results in the cage to go along with it. I don't see a problem in that and in the end, it seems to have worked with 5 SBG fighters on this card who all have a chance going forward to stake a claim for long careers inside the Octagon.

The UFC give bonuses for Twitter followers and promotion for f*ck sake! Show me a fighter on the cusp of UFC level that doesn't have a social media profile and I'll show you a f*cking idiot.

Bitch, moan, carp all you want, but at least make it about a legitimate gripe.

Advertisement