Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TUF 19 - Penn, Edgar + Pendred & Fields! **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Henry9

Richy06 wrote: »
    SBG don't have a social media policy to make their fighters promote themselves by any means necessary. It's in ANY fighter's interest to generate some sort of interest or social media profile in an attempt to boost their marketability to ensure they get seen and, in the end, signed to the big show and make some money for what they do. REAL money. Obviously backed by results in the cage to go along with it. I don't see a problem in that and in the end, it seems to have worked with 5 SBG fighters on this card who all have a chance going forward to stake a claim for long careers inside the Octagon.

The UFC give bonuses for Twitter followers and promotion for f*ck sake! Show me a fighter on the cusp of UFC level that doesn't have a social media profile and I'll show you a f*cking idiot.

Bitch, moan, carp all you want, but at least make it about a legitimate gripe.
    Nice one, as if to prove the point I was making.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,229 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

DeVore wrote: »
    The thing is.... how many champions actually talk smack? Renan Barau? Tj Dillishaw? Edgar? BJ? Cain? GSP? Silva? Mighty mouse? .... its not something the very top guys seem to do or seem to HAVE to do.

Chael Sonnen talks a lot of smack, and he's the undisputed MW and LHW champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Henry9 wrote: »
    Nice one, as if to prove the point I was making.

Actually it proves nothing. You made a statement. Your statement was false. You were called out on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

The thing is.... how many champions actually talk smack? Renan Barau? Tj Dillishaw? Edgar? BJ? Cain? GSP? Silva? Mighty mouse? .... its not something the very top guys seem to do or seem to HAVE to do.

You don't need to promote yourself when you've got a big gold belt around your waist. The UFC will do it for you.

Until then? Call out everyone out and back it up with talent. Make money and then retire. Enjoy the celebrity lifestyle while it lasts and then get out while you have your health and your bank account is looking flush! :cool:

Also RE: the ridiculous SBG post made on the previous page- <sigh>

Actually it proves nothing. You made a statement. Your statement was false. You were called out on it.
    What statement did I make that was false?

• Advertisement

What statement did I make that was false?
    SBG have for the last couple of years followed a policy of boosting their fighters' profiles on social media.

Richy called you out on it saying there is no policy. Its just smart on the fighters behalf to stand out on social media.

Richy called you out on it saying there is no policy. Its just smart on the fighters behalf to stand out on social media.
    How does that contradict me? They've adopted an approach across the board like I said, to generate buzz and discussion.

How does that contradict me? They've adopted an approach across the board like I said, to generate buzz and discussion.

Hardly a policy by the most popular definition of the word now is it.

Also it seems you really don't get social media if you don't like the self promotion of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭p to the e

SBG don't have a social media policy to make their fighters promote themselves by any means necessary. It's in ANY fighter's interest to generate some sort of interest or social media profile in an attempt to boost their marketability to ensure they get seen and, in the end, signed to the big show and make some money for what they do. REAL money. Obviously backed by results in the cage to go along with it. I don't see a problem in that and in the end, it seems to have worked with 5 SBG fighters on this card who all have a chance going forward to stake a claim for long careers inside the Octagon.

The UFC give bonuses for Twitter followers and promotion for f*ck sake! Show me a fighter on the cusp of UFC level that doesn't have a social media profile and I'll show you a f*cking idiot.

Bitch, moan, carp all you want, but at least make it about a legitimate gripe.

4 no?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The SBG thing is silly... I don't recall the two lads even mentioning the name of the gym during TUF.
    You make it sound like the gym organiser are coordinating some kind of social media front for the fighters when its seems like the fighters are acting as independent agents and doing their own thing. Paddy has posted on twitter about once in the last 3 months ffs :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

p to the e wrote: »
    4 no?

Yeah, mental slip there. 5 Irish, 4 SBG. Brain fart.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Wood

Yeah, mental slip there. 5 Irish, 4 SBG. Brain fart.

As someone who trained in SBG for quite some time, your statement is bull$hit. SBG do not have a self promotion policy on social media and anyone who has trained there will attest to this.

Wood wrote: »
    As someone who trained in SBG for quite some time, your statement is bull$hit. SBG do not have a self promotion policy on social media and anyone who has trained there will attest to this.

Well this is awkward...

I think you've quoted the wrong post there pal. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

in the case of McGregor endless and tedious bragging and smack talk.
    Smack talk, and bragging without backing it up is tedious. Very much so.
    But when he backed it up verses Brimage, it became one if the most talked about fight if the year. Not bad for the undercard on the far side of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Wood

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Well this is awkward...

I think you've quoted the wrong post there pal. :pac:

Just wanted him to know i was talking to him, doesn't really matter if i incorrectly quoted the wrong post. Semantics.....

Wood wrote: »
    Just wanted him to know i was talking to him, doesn't really matter if i incorrectly quoted the wrong post. Semantics.....

You also quoted the wrong person in that case. I think you are agreeing with Richy.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Ah it's no biggie. I think we know who he was talking to in this case, even if he did quote wrong.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You don't need to promote yourself when you've got a big gold belt around your waist. The UFC will do it for you.

Until then? Call out everyone out and back it up with talent. Make money and then retire. Enjoy the celebrity lifestyle while it lasts and then get out while you have your health and your bank account is looking flush! :cool:

Also RE: the ridiculous SBG post made on the previous page- <sigh>
    The argument being made was that the fighters had to smack talk to build interest and PPVs... if its possible that the UFC can do that for the champs, why cant they do it for the contenders too?

You specified champions in your OP though, so I responded as such. I presume the don't promote contenders because it's the title defence that sells the PPV so they throw the money at him. You would imagine billing a fighter as challanger would work well but, maybe that formula would dilute the PPV sales over time, as more and more challangers are found out in the championship fights?

Hardly a policy by the most popular definition of the word now is it.

Also it seems you really don't get social media if you don't like the self promotion of them.
    Lets take baby steps as Dunphy would say.

Google 'policy definition' and this is the first result:

a course or principle of action adopted or proposed by an organization or individual.

Synonyms include: plans, strategy, blueprint, approach, scheme, stratagem....

Campaigns off the top of my head on twitter:
    Pendred to be signed while CW champion
    To be put on the Boston card
    Nelson to be put on Dublin card
    Pendred to be put on Dublin card

and now that they have some guys with critical mass, they'll do all they can to pull others along with them.
    Does that seem to you to meet the definition above?

Does that justify making the statement:
    SBG have for the last couple of years followed a policy of boosting their fighters' profiles on social media. Mainly through continuous self promotion and in the case of McGregor endless and tedious bragging and smack talk.

I think it does.

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure the ex-CW champion wasn't knocked out by Cathals friend-count.

I'm pretty sure the ex-CW champion wasn't knocked out by Cathals friend-count.
    Jesus Christ, who said he was?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

Jesus Christ, who said he was?

Who?

Hope this isn't bible spoilers without a spoiler tag

Havent got around to reading it yet :D

Brilliant.

I just hope she does a better job than her countrymen did!

I've never been overly impressed by her fights to be honest. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,560 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Jaysus, never thought Gutter would make the final but he wrecked Spohn in the end round. Spohn had good power but gassed too quick. Not an early stoppage anyway, spohn looked like he was almost out.

Sick armbar by Diego, zapatas arm looked goosed after it!

Looking forward to the final. I think diego and gutter (can't believe it) will win followed by edgar dominating bj.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Sphon was rocked after that last shot that put him on his arse. It was a good stoppage, as he would have just got pummled. He didn't look right after those elbows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭xtal191

So no Fields on the TUF Finale or Dublin card, has he not been signed up to the UFC then?

• Advertisement

xtal191 wrote: »
    So no Fields on the TUF Finale or Dublin card, has he not been signed up to the UFC then?

Nope. A real like in the teeth for him to not even get on the Dublin card.

Ironically his showing on TUF gave him a setback IMO. He's just the kind of fighter you'd expect to get on an Irish undercard if they were coming, but instead he looked so bad on TUF that he's out on his ear.

What is his contract status with Cage Warriors? Hopefully he can get back on track, seems like a sound fella.

Advertisement