Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TUF 19 - Penn, Edgar + Pendred & Fields! **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Weird people keep bringing up fighting for their careers when you have a really good chance of being signed up to the ufc even if you dont make the final. Perfect example being cathal and king. The more exciting you are or have a good record the more likely you will be signed. The making it into the house fights are more important but strangely these fights are usually much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

The fight was very close for sure. He came out and started well but much like the first fight he seemed to lack the initiative to start some serious ground and pound.
    He completely gassed in the second to the point where he almost looked like he was drunk. Gordon's GnP was better than Cathal's, for however little he was on top in the second. I just feel that if he's going to focus on wrestling then mastering effective GnP is surely a must.

He seemed to get a bit of a spring in his step in the third.

Saw Bigslow was there too watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Roborat, that's true, and I have been "gassed" myself before... its an absolutely horrible feeling, barely able to lift my arms up. Grappling is by far the worst for bringing it on (admittedly I haven't done BJJ so that could be worse again!).

Done both but with BJJ its not so much gassing but more a case of some heavy bastard on top of you restricting your ability to breathe or trying to escape from a choke. You have to remember that your muscles require oxygen and when this is restricted, it has a knock on effect.
    I've seen enough of it now to believe that its the pressure and maybe the odd fight arena that is causing the gassing.

Thats my thoughts too. There is huge hype and I remember going out to play football in front of about 1,000 people - my legs were like jelly after 10 mins as I had completely burned myself out with nervous energy.

I have seen Cathal fight a few times and he has never looked tired. I think the fact that its BJ and Frankie also adds a bit to the mix, these guys are superstars of the sport and the lads are probably pushing themselves to the limits to impress.

I also think they are overtraining, they are probably doing a lot back in the house that isn't being caught on camera and the fact that BJ tried to address this makes me think its a bigger problem than it was made out to be. All it takes is one lad to start and the rest will follow because they don't want to lose the edge.
    The making it into the house fights are more important but strangely these fights are usually much better.

You don't have a camera trained on you 24/7 before you go into the house though so at least you can try and calm down and forget about it. Thats much harder when there is a camera crew around all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

What about the weigh ins? Didn't see much of them this year. Maybe guys were struggling to make weight??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    What about the weigh ins? Didn't see much of them this year. Maybe guys were struggling to make weight??

Hardly when most are fighting a weight class above their usual one

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Man that was a close fight. I had Cathal winning 1 and 3 but like the man said himself this has worked out for the best getting a 10 fight contact and fighting on the dublin card.

Fair play to Chris and Cathal, they were great Irish reps and did Ireland proud with their behaviour and influence they had on the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Man that was a close fight. I had Cathal winning 1 and 3 but like the man said himself this has worked out for the best getting a 10 fight contact and fighting on the dublin card.

Fair play to Chris and Cathal, they were great Irish reps and did Ireland proud with their behaviour and influence they had on the season.
    10 fight contract is very large. I imagine it means he's locked into a lower pay bracket which he might regret in a few years (10 fights will take ~3 years to fulfill).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

RoboRat wrote: »
    Take it you have never fought then?

Its easy to say its only 5 minutes but those 5 minutes seem like an hour, you have to have been in that position to actually understand. Usually you have a big adrenaline rush before and at the start and then you have the adrenaline dump and no matter how much you try, it is so hard to recompose yourself. Literally every ounce of energy is exhausted and simple things like standing up are a huge task.

The best fighters are the ones who can control themselves and keep the high to a minimum but thats easier said than done.

This. IV only gotten into MMA over the past 2 months and when I fist started watching it I was like holy crap these guys burn out so fast how is that possibly id be full of energy. Then I did my first roll at ShootFighters and soon learned that any sort of grappling takes everything away from you. Now imagine doing BJJ after getting a few punches and knees and its obvious why people start to fade quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

DeVore wrote: »
    Roborat, that's true, and I have been "gassed" myself before... its an absolutely horrible feeling, barely able to lift my arms up. Grappling is by far the worst for bringing it on (admittedly I haven't done BJJ so that could be worse again!).

But these guys are professionals and its weird to see them both gas after one round when to be competitive , or challenge for a title they are going to have to go for the full three, maybe five rounds and possibly longer rounds too.

I wouldn't hold it against them and I'm not bashing them either, but it does seem strange that just about every competitor in this TUF seemed to gas pretty quickly. Kinda underlines the gulf between the TUF guys and the top 5 really.... (and sure, no one is expecting them to be as good... but it seems to be a fair sized gulf).

Also don't forget that they have to do far more weight cuts with a busier scheduler then a lot of other fighters. That takes a toll on your body

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 JojoD51

Just watched it, Fields was very funny. Best part was him dropping Urbina. Also made valid points(while drunk) about having to deal with wrestlers.

Cathal's fight was close but I think his opponent edged the third.

On a side note, why are they all gassing after the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Just watched Cathal's fight. Very close fight alright. To be honest I think it was probably a draw but judges never give out 10-10 rounds.

Had Cathal winning the first round clearly. Think Cathal was on his way to winning a closer second round as well until he tried that spinning backfist and missed and he spun straight into a takedown which led to Gordon holding him down for 2 minutes. That was enough to win that round for Gordon.

Third round was very close but Cathal was the aggressor throughout and literally all Gordon was doing was backing up and defending takedown attempts. With about a minute left in the round they showed Gordon's corner and they looked like they knew he was losing but he managed to get a few half-decent shots in over the final 20 seconds and that seems to have won him the round. To be honest though I think he was behind at that point so a draw is all I could have given him.

Really tough fight to lose. Cathal's wrestling is really good for a European fighter but his striking and submissions need a bit of work. He gets these guys on the ground consistently but then doesn't really do enough damage down there and rarely looks for a submission. If he improves that part of his game he could have a decent UFC career because his wrestling is good.

Also think Cathal will look better fighting in his usual weight class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Did Cathal get a contract??

Realy??? chris fields??? ole ole ole heavy weight champion of the world??? he was poison in the ring, got lucky to qualify and was found out in a match against arguably the worst fighter ever.It's a fight competition and he was shockingly bad!! I mean it's a sad indictment on your talent if you're fight is considered the worst ever by the UFC president!

Pendred did us proud, so what if he didnt make the final, he fought to the best of his ability and gave it his all, seems a nice bloke too. I just would worry about his cardio, he seemed sapped by round two. I can see him getting a few fights then getting cut and being back in Ireland not long after, he's not at all world class. Pity Mcgregor didnt have cathals attitude though.

Cathal's wrestling is really good for a European fighter but his striking and submissions need a bit of work. He gets these guys on the ground consistently but then doesn't really do enough damage down there and rarely looks for a submission. If he improves that part of his game he could have a decent UFC career because his wrestling is good.

He should really try and do what Randy and Cain do and just grind, dirty box and gnp, he is perfect for it, especially when he fights within his weight class. Play to your strengths and all that.
    Realy??? chris fields??? ole ole ole heavy weight champion of the world??? he was poison in the ring, got lucky to qualify and was found out in a match against arguably the worst fighter ever.It's a fight competition and he was shockingly bad!! I mean it's a sad indictment on your talent if you're fight is considered the worst ever by the UFC president!

I think you're being harsh there, Chris is technically a brilliant fighter but I really don't think he is a natural fighter. He is very intelligent and I feel he thinks too much which slows him down. When you're in the ring you have to let instinct take over and I don't think he does. Thats just my opinion and I may be completely wrong

Another thing that might also have something to do with them gassing is diet. When these guys are at home, they are under their trainers eyes and are probably eating the right foods. From what I can see, most of them couldn't boil and egg so they probably are not getting the right balance of carbs, proteins, vitamins etc. Perhaps they should have a resident chef in the house or have their meals prepared as this is essential... just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Looks like Fields won't be on the Dublin card? Does anyone know if he has got any more UFC fights?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Don't think he's on the card. He's not out in Iceland with the rest of the SBG boys so it certainly would be odd if he popped up suddenly. Whatever about the UFC, I wonder if he could do a job in Bellator? Would that even big a step-up from Cage Warriors?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

rusty cole wrote: »
    Realy??? chris fields??? ole ole ole heavy weight champion of the world??? he was poison in the ring, got lucky to qualify and was found out in a match against arguably the worst fighter ever.It's a fight competition and he was shockingly bad!!.

I didn't say his fighting did us proud but he still had a big presence in the house, had people singing ole ole every week no matter how annoying it was, got plenty of camera time when other fighters barely said 2 lines and other fighters wanting to wear irish wrist bands. They could have just been background quiet paddys but they got great exposure which might lead Dana to be more inclined on giving the Irish a shot on TUF.

Anyway, the preview for next week, I think the Red team were way too harsh on Pat, seemed like a good idea to me. Can't spoiler on phone so won't go into detail.

Realy??? chris fields??? ole ole ole heavy weight champion of the world??? he was poison in the ring, got lucky to qualify and was found out in a match against arguably the worst fighter ever.It's a fight competition and he was shockingly bad!! I mean it's a sad indictment on your talent if you're fight is considered the worst ever by the UFC president!QUOTE]

How long have you followed this sport long, have you seen Fields fight before. Obviously Dana is the person to listen to about the actual sport (he's really not). Have you watched Van Buren fight before to state he is the worst fighter ever. To be honest your analysis is 'shockingly bad'.

Chris is in Iceland, Mulpeter put up pics earlier.

• Advertisement

I didn't say his fighting did us proud but he still had a big presence in the house, had people singing ole ole every week no matter how annoying it was, got plenty of camera time when other fighters barely said 2 lines and other fighters wanting to wear irish wrist bands. They could have just been background quiet paddys but they got great exposure which might lead Dana to be more inclined on giving the Irish a shot on TUF.

Anyway, the preview for next week, I think the Red team were way too harsh on Pat, seemed like a good idea to me. Can't spoiler on phone so won't go into detail.

I wouldn't argue over it but if "camera time" is what you want, go into the big brother house I say.
    singling OLE OLE is cringe worthy to be honest. And if you think being all mouth and no trousers will inspire a keen business mind like Dana white to buy irish, then you're wrong IMHO. Maybe keep watching to see if mcgregor delivers, if not then see how far he goes singing our national anthem. it's a fighting competition not a personality/promotions contest. Great if you have charisma but only once you back it up. again, cathal was good but fields was rotten!!

JojoD51 wrote: »
    Realy??? chris fields??? ole ole ole heavy weight champion of the world??? he was poison in the ring, got lucky to qualify and was found out in a match against arguably the worst fighter ever.It's a fight competition and he was shockingly bad!! I mean it's a sad indictment on your talent if you're fight is considered the worst ever by the UFC president!QUOTE]

How long have you followed this sport long, have you seen Fields fight before. Obviously Dana is the person to listen to about the actual sport (he's really not). Have you watched Van Buren fight before to state he is the worst fighter ever. To be honest your analysis is 'shockingly bad'.

ha ha morning chris, great of you to make it!! hows the singing voice?? eurovision is coming up next year!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

White has signed McGregor, Pendred and Holohan in a matter of less than a year or so. That seems like he's "buying Irish" all of a sudden.

ha ha morning chris, great of you to make it!! hows the singing voice?? eurovision is coming up next year!

What the for jaysus are you talking about. Thanks for your ignorant analysis of the situation, it's just what this thread needs, someone spouting out **** who obviously has not got a CLUE about this sport, the format of TUF or anything else for that matter, now jog on.

DeVore wrote: »
    White has signed McGregor, Pendred and Holohan in a matter of less than a year or so. That seems like he's "buying Irish" all of a sudden.

Buying Irish or buying SBG? :P

It'll help put Irish MMA on the map! I can't wait. The more people training the better! More bodies to roll with = more fun to be had. Woop woop! :cool:

What the for jaysus are you talking about. Thanks for your ignorant analysis of the situation, it's just what this thread needs, someone spouting out **** who obviously has not got a CLUE about this sport, the format of TUF or anything else for that matter, now jog on.

now now lets not get testy here jojo! it's divided opinion mixed with a bit of banter, dont presume to think I'm clueless about "anything" cos you're bored and frustrated at home.

It's an opinion, and I've followed this sport (MMA) Pride, K1, Bamma, belator and strike force for years. Ive done martial arts for 4 years and boxed. Though of course this doesn't qualify me having an opinion on this or anything in your eyes!! you who probably call the sport "de UFC" and not MMA! for years ive watched all the seasons of the ultimate fighter, since chris leban cried on the front lawn and ortiz got stick from ed herman for having skinny legs!!!

give over with your jog on mate, its friday and no one want this turned into another mcgregor banned page!

it's a fighting competition not a personality/promotions contest.

Actually its entertainment and Dana has proven time and time again that he wants 'entertainment value' above fighting skills... look at how he cut John Fitch for an example.

The UFC is not a million miles from the WWE in its ethos. At the end of the day the US is their biggest market and they want heroes and villians and to be entertained. Most of the people on this forum would be happy to watch a grapple fest, as long as its a good technical battle, but to the average UFC fan, this would be boring.

Buying Irish or buying SBG?

**Ahem** Neil Seerey :-P

RoboRat wrote: »
    The UFC is not a million miles from the WWE in its ethos. At the end of the day the US is their biggest market and they want heroes and villians and to be entertained. Most of the people on this forum would be happy to watch a grapple fest, as long as its a good technical battle, but to the average UFC fan, this would be boring.

Jim Miller v Donald Cerrone! Gonna' be a grappling masterclass! :cool:

• Advertisement

now now lets not get testy here jojo! it's divided opinion mixed with a bit of banter, dont presume to think I'm clueless about "anything" cos you're bored and frustrated at home.

It's an opinion, and I've followed this sport (MMA) Pride, K1, Bamma, belator and strike force for years. Ive done martial arts for 4 years and boxed. Though of course this doesn't qualify me having an opinion on this or anything in your eyes!! you who probably call the sport "de UFC" and not MMA! for years ive watched all the seasons of the ultimate fighter, since chris leban cried on the front lawn and ortiz got stick from ed herman for having skinny legs!!!

give over with your jog on mate, its friday and no one want this turned into another mcgregor banned page!

OK Rusty! (don't know what your ! after my name means?) There is constant banter and opinions on this thread which I enjoy - what you did was disrespect fighters, their abilities and belittle the obvious skills they have (which they have put everything into for many years). A little bit of respect goes a long way. Thanks for the rundown of your knowledge (google). And I don't read the McGregor thread for the very reason I am disputing your quotes. Now have a good day while I am at home feeling very frustrated.

Advertisement