Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TUF 19 - Penn, Edgar + Pendred & Fields! **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

Easy Rod wrote: »
    :confused: He won two fights and narrowly lost the semi-final via split decision?

Below par doesn't make any sense in the slightest.

I thought he only won one fight and got into the semi with one win no? I sort of agree with the previous comments myself,think he showed great heart in this semi all the same.
    Also i think its got to do with the UFC spreading itself so thin these days,he wouldn't have got into the UFC back in the day,but nowadays he could sell tickets in Ireland so they will milk him for any saleable value here first,although he has his work cut out in this first fight,not sure i can see him winning this one to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

MagicIRL wrote: »
    But he didn't knock anyone out! No KO = Terrible fight. Herp derp. :cool:

If he wasn't Irish would you have enjoyed that fight? Seriously ask yourself that question.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Ush1 wrote: »
    If he wasn't Irish would you have enjoyed that fight? Seriously ask yourself that question.

Yes, because I enjoy watching a good technical grappler. It's why I started training BJJ. It's chess with people.

Yes, because I enjoy watching a good technical grappler. It's why I started training BJJ. It's chess with people.

Not that it's at all relevant but I also train BJJ. Do you like technical striking and cardio?

Tbh by round three, wasn't a huge amount technical going on.

I enjoy watching a fight where a fighter is using technique over raw power. Whether thats standing or grappling I don't mind. I love a good KO as much as the next guy and I've screamed at fighters for just laying on top and not attempting anything (not to be confused with a fighter waiting and controlling an opponnent). We're getting off topic now discussing what type of fights we enjoy anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

There haven't been many good fights on this season of TUF but think back to TJ Dillashaw's TUF... he wasn't a stand out guy you would have said "that guy will destroy Renan Barau in a few years".

Really the name "Ultimate fighter" is kinda silly... it should be "The Ultimate Fighter... who hasn't been signed by UFC yet".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

People going on about the UFC selling tickets in Ireland!
    Ireland is sold on the UFC brand, regardless who is on the card-Ticket sales doesn't come into it.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

DeVore wrote: »
    There haven't been many good fights on this season of TUF but think back to TJ Dillashaw's TUF... he wasn't a stand out guy you would have said "that guy will destroy Renan Barau in a few years".

Really the name "Ultimate fighter" is kinda silly... it should be "The Ultimate Fighter... who hasn't been signed by UFC yet".

I think a big part of this season is most of the guys are fighting outside their weight classes, so you never see the best of them, also an 8 week training camp does a lot to make a fighter better, these guys aren't doing that level of training when they're in the house.

I enjoy watching a fight where a fighter is using technique over raw power. Whether thats standing or grappling I don't mind. I love a good KO as much as the next guy and I've screamed at fighters for just laying on top and not attempting anything (not to be confused with a fighter waiting and controlling an opponnent). We're getting off topic now discussing what type of fights we enjoy anyway.

Fair enough, well then a more pertinent question would be that would he be the type of fighter Dana White would normally sign based off of his TUF performances?

Whatever you think of his performances, Dillashaw made it to the final and suffered a questionable stoppage. Not the same thing at all.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, well then a more pertinent question would be that would he be the type of fighter Dana White would normally sign based off of his TUF performances?

No, it seems Dana wants the explosive Uriah Hall type guys. A big KO or two and you're off on a UFC gravy train. It's a shame but the UFC is an entertainment brand first and a fight promotion second.

Looking at this current TUF batch, no-one really stands out as a need-to-sign guy based on some shocking power. So, failing that, White will sign the more technical fighters, I assume, in the hope they'll prosper in to decent fighters that are a joy to watch for all fans.

Cathal had the experience of being a Cage Warriors champion too, so perhaps the fact that he's bee naround a while edged White to sign him? He's clearly got some talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

What two fights?

He eeked out a boring decision after being almost ko'd in his first fight, respect for hanging in there but he was also very lucky.

Then lost the second fight(also very boring).

I've been watching MMA a long time and if Cathal wasn't Irish I really would be surprised they signed him.

Sorry, yes, forgot about the bye.

But your point remains confusing.

If you're saying he's below par for TUF, that would be incorrect. If you're saying he's below par for the UFC, that remains to be seen but it's unlikely.

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Sorry, yes, forgot about the bye.

But your point remains confusing.

If you're saying he's below par for TUF, that would be incorrect. If you're saying he's below par for the UFC, that remains to be seen but it's unlikely.

Below par for the UFC, hence being surprised that he was signed despite winning one fight on TUF, especially given the nature of performances in both fights.

cowzerp wrote: »
    People going on about the UFC selling tickets in Ireland!
    Ireland is sold on the UFC brand, regardless who is on the card-Ticket sales doesn't come into it.

So happens this particular card has Irelands biggest mma star ever on it so selling out fast was a no brainer,but what happens if Conor wasn't on the card.

Weak cards the UFC have these days would be harder to sell here without some irish fighters,also pay per views where Cathal is on the card will sell in Ireland so i would think its a no brainer for the UFC to give him a few fights and milk the bit of name he has here in Ireland.

gotta be careful we're not fighter bashing but as per above question? totally agree, nothing special whatsoever there to be honest when compared to previous seasons and subsequent signings who have since been cut!! he looked jaded in the second round throwing them kicks with zero venom. It played out like a 5th round performance in terms of stamina and dynamism. look, he'd clean his teeth with anyone in this forum but as many have begun to ask, UFC elite level?? realy????

I quote alec baldwin in glengarry glenross!!! "nice guy F*ck you pal, hit the bricks"!!!

Don't get me wrong, I have huge respect for anyone that competes. Absolutely fair play to both Chris and Cathal, they came across very well on the show and seem like nice blokes. Very dedicated and great ambassadors for Irish MMA.

I am delighted that Cathal got signed and wish all Irish fighters success in their careers....but that doesn't mean you ignore the elephant in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Henry9

amkin25 wrote: »
    So happens this particular card has Irelands biggest mma star ever on it so selling out fast was a no brainer,but what happens if Conor wasn't on the card.

Weak cards the UFC have these days would be harder to sell here without some irish fighters,also pay per views where Cathal is on the card will sell in Ireland so i would think its a no brainer for the UFC to give him a few fights and milk the bit of name he has here in Ireland.
    You think it wouldn't have sold out anyway?
    You think C Pendred will sell a lot of PPVs?
    There could be nobody Irish on the card and it would sell out regardless.

They are padding out the card, plain and simple.
    How many fighters will be making their UFC debut?
    Hell, how many will have been signed in the weeks leading up to the event?

If this was an event in the UK or Australia, and a bunch of local guys were signed in the lead up to the event, there'd be no shortage of people calling it for what it is.
    Maybe some of them will go on to great things, good luck to them.
    But as it stands you're paying top dollar for padding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

By virtue of the simple fact that they got on TUF in the first place, Pendred and Fields have achieved more than 999 out of every 1000 fighters ever will in their careers. Hats off to them both for that.

People here are talking about whether or not Pendred has what it takes to mix it with the contenders in the division. Of course he doesn't yet, but despite the old saying, fighters are made and not born. He is undoubtedly on the up, in terms of learning his craft and no one knows when he will peak. Let him find his feet in the organisation first.

And even if he only ends up having one fight in the UFC he will have achieved so much just by getting there. He won't feel like that himself but it's a lot more than the people dogging him will ever do.

Henry9 wrote: »
    You think it wouldn't have sold out anyway?
    You think C Pendred will sell a lot of PPVs?
    There could be nobody Irish on the card and it would sell out regardless.

They are padding out the card, plain and simple.
    How many fighters will be making their UFC debut?
    Hell, how many will have been signed in the weeks leading up to the event?

If this was an event in the UK or Australia, and a bunch of local guys were signed in the lead up to the event, there'd be no shortage of people calling it for what it is.
    Maybe some of them will go on to great things, good luck to them.
    But as it stands you're paying top dollar for padding.

Its a pretty weak card if you take Conor off it,sure enough people love the brand UFC,but i think without Conor on this card i think it would be a hard sell for the price its costing,wouldn't at all have the same buzz about it,and would definitely hurt the UFC brand here with a card so weak,course people will pay for the UFC here but bigger names would be needed than this card,if u take Conor off it.

I didn't say Cathal would sell many pay per views himself headlining or anything,but if the ufc was running a mediocre card in vegas or anywhere,i think to a lot of irish if Cathal was on it somewhere,he might just tip them over the edge enough to buy the card so in that sense he might sell a certain amount of pay per views in Ireland.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The tickets sold because this is the probably the last chance for at least a few years to actually go to a full blown UFC event in Dublin. And yeah, Conor is definitely the draw because of all the hype and tv exposure.
    But to say its a weak card is wrong. I'm at least as stoked to see Gunni and Paddy fight, they are exciting fighters with big futures, toss in Cathal, Parke and Seery and you are approaching a who's who of top Irish talent. Is it the star studded array of a Mandelay Bay event? No... but its certainly not a bad card.

• Advertisement

Pickett v McCall will be some fight too, don't forget!

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Henry9

The tickets sold because this is the probably the last chance for at least a few years to actually go to a full blown UFC event in Dublin. And yeah, Conor is definitely the draw because of all the hype and tv exposure.
    But to say its a weak card is wrong. I'm at least as stoked to see Gunni and Paddy fight, they are exciting fighters with big futures, toss in Cathal, Parke and Seery and you are approaching a who's who of top Irish talent. Is it the star studded array of a Mandelay Bay event? No... but its certainly not a bad card.
    "Who's who of top Irish talent" = a padded card. I didn't say it was a bad card, and if people are excited to see Irish rookies get their chance, well like I said good look to them.
    If it wasn't Irish fighters I think people would be a little less likely to wear the rose tinted glasses.

I have to agree to be fair,

if this was anywhere else it would be one of the weakest cards in some time. take nationality out of it and there's only one or two bouts worth being excited over. The real draws are saved for the big US nights. In that way it's kinda like using all the local indigenous talent under the umbrella of the UFC brand, which sells. But in fairness arn't we able to see that in our own cage warriors? I think the point some are making is (not to disrespect the irish crop) but as it's a rare thing to see the UFC here, we wouldn't mind paying our hardest earned for some of the premium fights!!! IN that respect it's pretty weak, novice fighters in the UFC as it where.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

If you don't want to go, don't f*cking go. Simple. If you want to go see title fights, go and pay to fly and stay in Las Vegas and Mandalay Bay etc. MAYBE someday, if one of the guys does well enough to secure a title, a bigger event will come here. I mean, you don't have to pay to go, no one is forcing you. The card we have is comparable to other cards in similar sized markets. In fact, we're probably lucky to be getting a card at all. If Conor hadn't made a breakthrough, we'd probably be waiting until next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Well that was painful to watch. Reminded me of a fight from UFC 2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Well that was painful to watch. Reminded me of a fight from UFC 2

Beyond bad. Go back to wrestling all is forgiven! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Found myself screaming at the TV begging Pat to put his hands up. He got absolutely punished in the 1st round with good combos from Anderson but didn't learn his lesson.

One solid kick to the head and Pat would have been out.

Anderson landed without really doing a whole lot. Pat gifted him the opportunity to land short jabs with wild and predictable "technique". Every time Pat came over the top with big attempts, he'd duck his head with Corey's hand waiting for him.

Pretty dreadful fight and cringey with the whole shock and horror of Pat attempting to improve on some technique (maybe) with Penn's team because Edgar's coaches didn't have a training session for them.

That Lima fella also does my head in. Would like him to get knocked out next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Pendred & Fields both looked pretty bad on the show ill agree, but to be quite honest, everyone so far on the show has looked utterly awful. Its the worst TUF season i can ever recall. Irish or not, Pendreds last fight was terrible, but his opponent was equally terrible. Im not saying in a couple of years in the UFC he wont mature into a great fighter, but for now im totally unimpressed, with any of the people on the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 JojoD51

That was the strangest fight I think I have ever seen, but I couldn't look away.

• Advertisement

really?? what a pathetic excuse for a fight,. not too far removed from a couple of mugs fighting for money down a lane!!!

That guy pat could indeed have put out with one front kick but what's worse is that other eejit hadn't the skill, timing or mindset to see it. shocking to watch, what an arsenal that guy had ove walsh even in his reach advantage, long jab etc and still by no means close to coming up with the goods!! you simply could not call it mixed martial arts, end of!!! at one stage pat puts his hands on his knees in an "Im knackered" pose, no dynamism, no fitness, no way can these lads ever hope to make a career for themselves!! I'm starting to think the dregs need only apply policy is in force!!!

lads you can say what you like but compare that to the yrs of griffin, kozchek (spelled wrong I think) herman, bisping etc etc etc. at least these lads had basic skills, unfu#kingbeliveable!

I know I'll get lambasted for this post but you wont change my view, it's tripe, the whole season!! actually it's not just me, dana white actually walked away from one fight it was so bad and then told them they had nothing to offer in albeit uncertain terms "the year of nobody givin a sh!t!!!"

Advertisement