Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TUF 19 - Penn, Edgar + Pendred & Fields! **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Probably the wrong thread for this discussion but I think UFC 174 has just left a bad taste in peoples mouths. Rewind back to the Silva vs Matt Brown Fight Night(a relatively weak card star power wise) and people were raving about how great it was because the fights were good.

174 was just boring is all. If Te Huna and Marquardt knock the stuffing out of each other, all will be forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I'm firmly of the opinion that they should've kept the WEC and Strikeforce in operation. They could've used Strikeforce as a feeder organisation into the UFC and kept the UFC as a kind of premiership where the cream of the crop ply their trade.

Agree 100% and add Pride to that list. The UFC got lulled into believing that the UFC was bigger than the sport and hence they felt they had to apply its name for it to be successful. They would be better off staging 6 events a year with stacked cards and let the lower tier fighters or emerging fighters compete on Strikeforce or WEC and lose the UFC fight night.

Dana and Co. are also operating under the ideology of making hay when the sun shines but that is a very shortsighted approach. All they need is one decent organisation with a bit of financial backing who can lure some of the top fighters and they could be in serious trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Davei141 wrote: »
    I would never stay up as no event is worth wasting the next day in bed but i would wake up excited for a new event up and watch it sometimes with a few cans and make a day of it. Nowadays you chuck it on and get it over with. So many cards and so many injuries tying champions up (Whoever decided to put pettis on TUF should be shot) has really stagnated the UFC big time. Lightweight division has stagnated due to Pettis injury. Middleweight has stagnated due to Weidman injury. Welterweight is thriving though even with Hendricks injured. HW with Velasquez injured. Injured/injury prone champions aren't helping with the appeal of the sport at all. The UFC needs Diaz/GSP/Anderson etc back and the other champions fit and healthy.

The divisions only seem stagnated because the UFC is hosting an event every weekend at this stage. Fighters will always get injured- It's a fight! The aim is to hurt the other guy enough so he stops hitting you back.

If the UFC reduced it's shows to one a month even, you would see a stimulated division because everyone has amble time to heal up an progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Anyone see this yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Was that last clip cathal getting a crisp right to the jaw ??

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

And Chris Fields looking very down p!ssed off / unhappy about something :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Dtp1979 wrote: »

Yes and Chris Fields putting his hands on his heads, straight after.

Remember lads, the preview for Catha's first fight showed him eating Hector's fist as well and look how that turned out! ;)

Plus
    with the amount of training he's currently doing in Iceland I reckon he's either fighting in Dublin or on the TUF final.

In fairness if anyone can eat a punch, its Cathal. I reckon he has a bowl of them for breakfast!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

As long as I have been watching TUF, and I have been watching it since series 3, seeing a fighter look like he is in trouble in the preview usually means that he ends up winning the fight.

And in fairness, besides his physical size, I've seen **** all from Eddie Gordon to make me think that he would be any trouble at all for a fighter of Pendreds calibre. Cathal, in my opinion has the technical ability in all areas to negate the size difference. I'm expecting a one sided decision. Óle Óle Óle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 JojoD51

Either way it's definitely going to a decision with both their styles

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭IrelandDylan

Tight match to call.. I guess we'll probably see Pendred on the dublin card now? Oh and their new chant is catchy.. ELLLBBOOWWSSSSS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I obviously wanted Pendred to win, but actually he's not an exciting fighter and he's not good enough. His thing just seems to be to wear people down.
    He'll be fighting in Dublin though, for sure. They may even stick Fields in there too.

I obviously wanted Pendred to win, but actually he's not an exciting fighter and he's not good enough. His thing just seems to be to wear people down.
    He'll be fighting in Dublin though, for sure. They may even stick Fields in there too.
    He has the ground game, that's for sure. His wrestling is superb. More training
    with a top class striker could really help him out. McGregor and Seery, for
    example, have serious stand up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

First time ever being slightly nervous watching TUF!

Close fight but I had pendred winning 1+3. He looked absolutely out on his feet by round three, there was nothing behind the punches or takedown attempts. Gordon wasn't any better tbh.

Will Pendred now be announced for Dublin or will he get on the Finale card?

Cathal Pendred signs with the UFC; faces Mike King at UFC in Dublin
    http://severemma.com/2014/06/cathal-pendred-signs-with-the-ufc-faces-mike-king-at-ufc-in-dublin/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

why all the spoiler tags in a thread marked spoilers?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,229 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Roar wrote: »
    why all the spoiler tags in a thread marked spoilers?

And then no spoilers at all in the thread where it should have. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

DrPhilG wrote: »
    And then no spoilers at all in the thread where it should have. :mad:

were they just waiting for him to lose on TUF to announce it?

anyway, better fight than some of the others, but considering the standard of the other fights it wasn't hard. Good first round, garbage 2nd and 3rd. these guys have so little stamina it's a bit pathetic really. As some people would say, no ****ing heart in these guys!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

were they just waiting for him to lose on TUF to announce it?

anyway, better fight than some of the others, but considering the standard of the other fights it wasn't hard. Good first round, garbage 2nd and 3rd. these guys have so little stamina it's a bit pathetic really. As some people would say, no ****ing heart in these guys!!

I dislike the romanticisation of heart. It has nothing to do with stamina anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Gumbi wrote: »
    I dislike the romanticisation of heart. It has nothing to do with stamina anyways.

it was a joke tbh, but when you see fighters who basically have 5 minutes to change their lives, not dig deep and give it their all, well it's kind of sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Thought Pendred was a bit unlucky here not to get the decision, I thought he did just about enough. Even Dana White said he thought Pendred shaded it.

I think if he had been able to land one of those take downs in the final round, he would have won it for sure.

While it's never good to lose on a TV show watched by so many worldwide, losing in the semi-finals has probably worked out better for Cathal overall as he now gets to fight on the Dublin card against Mike King (who he has a very good chance of beating) and is now signed up to a 10 fight deal with UFC. Does anyone know if the King fight will be at Welterweight or Middleweight?

It looks like he will really have to up his game though if he wants to make a serious impact in UFC. Huge difference between what Gunnar Nelson has been doing in his fights at Welterweight in UFC and what Pendred did in his TUF fights (which I know is in a weight class above his normal one).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Razor thin decision can't complain, at least Cathal got his contract hopefully Fields gets a crack on the card too. Regardless of how good fighting wise the Irish lads were they have been very good ambassadors, they spoke well, intelligently and gutted neither made it further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Davei141 wrote: »
    Regardless of how good fighting wise the Irish lads were they have been very good ambassadors, they spoke well, intelligently and gutted neither made it further.

Agreed. Don't think anyone could disagree with that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭xtal191

Will Pendred be fighting at his usual weight in Dublin?

but when you see fighters who basically have 5 minutes to change their lives, not dig deep and give it their all, well it's kind of sad.

Take it you have never fought then?

Its easy to say its only 5 minutes but those 5 minutes seem like an hour, you have to have been in that position to actually understand. Usually you have a big adrenaline rush before and at the start and then you have the adrenaline dump and no matter how much you try, it is so hard to recompose yourself. Literally every ounce of energy is exhausted and simple things like standing up are a huge task.

The best fighters are the ones who can control themselves and keep the high to a minimum but thats easier said than done.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Frankie7

Hi lads, long time reader of the thread, finally decided to join in.
    Firstly, gutted for the lads especially Cathal, could have gone either way.
    An observation that many have made already but the fighters looked gassed after maybe 1 and a half rounds not just in last nights fights but for most of the fights this series. Quite surprised as it seems the SBG lads pride themselves on having stamina to last 5 round fights.
    Anyway, is it the format of TUF that has them gassing like this?
    How much rest time would they have in between fighting to get into the house, fighting quarters then fighting semis? Or maybe it's the training methods of the coaches? Probably unlikely.
    Don't remember fighters looking so dead in their feet in other series of TUF as they have been this series.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

RoboRat wrote: »
    Take it you have never fought then?

Its easy to say its only 5 minutes but those 5 minutes seem like an hour, you have to have been in that position to actually understand. Usually you have a big adrenaline rush before and at the start and then you have the adrenaline dump and no matter how much you try, it is so hard to recompose yourself. Literally every ounce of energy is exhausted and simple things like standing up are a huge task.

The best fighters are the ones who can control themselves and keep the high to a minimum but thats easier said than done.
    Roborat, that's true, and I have been "gassed" myself before... its an absolutely horrible feeling, barely able to lift my arms up. Grappling is by far the worst for bringing it on (admittedly I haven't done BJJ so that could be worse again!).

But these guys are professionals and its weird to see them both gas after one round when to be competitive , or challenge for a title they are going to have to go for the full three, maybe five rounds and possibly longer rounds too.

I wouldn't hold it against them and I'm not bashing them either, but it does seem strange that just about every competitor in this TUF seemed to gas pretty quickly. Kinda underlines the gulf between the TUF guys and the top 5 really.... (and sure, no one is expecting them to be as good... but it seems to be a fair sized gulf).

My take on the fight is that Cathal took it in the last round and should have won the fight. I think he was actually winning the standup war for quite a bit of that fight and seemed to be picking his punches better and certainly had better head movement than his opponent.

He was certainly the more aggressive, I didn't see much offense from The Truck. Quite disappointed that the refs saw it differently.... but then I guess that's why you shouldn't leave it in their hands...

• Advertisement

DeVore wrote: »
    Roborat, that's true, and I have been "gassed" myself before... its an absolutely horrible feeling, barely able to lift my arms up. Grappling is by far the worst for bringing it on (admittedly I haven't done BJJ so that could be worse again!).

But these guys are professionals and its weird to see them both gas after one round when to be competitive , or challenge for a title they are going to have to go for the full three, maybe five rounds and possibly longer rounds too.

I wouldn't hold it against them and I'm not bashing them either, but it does seem strange that just about every competitor in this TUF seemed to gas pretty quickly. Kinda underlines the gulf between the TUF guys and the top 5 really.... (and sure, no one is expecting them to be as good... but it seems to be a fair sized gulf).

I think they are all gassing quickly because of the extended cage work. All the intense push and pull may look slow but its very tiring on the arms and cardio. Theres also huge pressure and nervous energy. People saying either of those guys are lacking heart is just silly though.

Advertisement