Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TUF 19 - Penn, Edgar + Pendred & Fields! **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

John_D80 wrote: »
    I recently re watched this season. Top notch fights and fighters. Season 5 is well up there as well in my opinion.

Going forward I'm actually looking forward to season 20. Female straw-weights. Has to be better than what TUF has given us lately.

Mmmmm eye candy

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ah ffs... :(

Chris at least took some kicks at him but he didn't seem to use his head as much in the cage as he should have. Pulling guard with a guillotine was silly for example, rushing in when he had Van Buren rocked was just a rush of blood to the head. Real pity because Van Buren had nothing to offer this fight and stank.

I love the ground game, love watching high level BJJ but lately a lot of (particularly American) fighters seem to be keen on hugging their way to a victory and its smothering the fights.

Bored senseless of TUF and if it wasn't for the Irish guys I definitely wouldn't bother even recording it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,170 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

dulux99 wrote: »
    Tuf needs to seriously take a sabbatical. At least give it a few years for some more talent to rise to the top. There's multiple TUF seasons being recorded around the world at any one time these days, and the lack of actual talent is staggering. Have a look at the TUF14 lineup for instance, and the quality that came out of that season.

They need another "Comeback" season

One of the most frustrating fights Ive watched. Just in terms of decision making Fields performed like he had 1 or 2 pro fights. Dont know why he was not getting double underhooks against the cage and pulling guard, christ that was loose. Tossed away round 1 with an ill timed and risky takedown attempt
    And starting the last round getting told to attack and he almost just starts walking backwards. Lost the plot he did. Hope for his sake he gets it together when he get his chance on whatever undercard he will be on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Mmmmm eye candy

Didn't want to objectify the female fighters like that but seeing as you've started it, I'll say AMEN to that, my friend. ;-)

There are some absolute dingers in that line up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

One of the most frustrating fights Ive watched. Just in terms of decision making Fields performed like he had 1 or 2 pro fights. Dont know why he was not getting double underhooks against the cage and pulling guard, christ that was loose. Tossed away round 1 with an ill timed and risky takedown attempt
    And starting the last round getting told to attack and he almost just starts walking backwards. Lost the plot he did. Hope for his sake he gets it together when he get his chance on whatever undercard he will be on.

I would have loved to see him do well here,but without sounding too harsh he just doesn't look cut out for it to me,hes fairly experienced by now so i just don't see him improving enough to last more than a couple token fights on an irish card,on the basis of having been on the show.
    It was all round disappointing anyway for some reason i thought he was gonna beat van buren and van buren was there for the taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,336 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

That was another terrible fight between Fields and Van Buren. They must have spent 80% of it in the clinch up against the cage. Both fighters looked tired early in the 2nd round. Fields made some bad decisions though. Might well have lost the first round when he tried that trip takedown and Van Buren almost landed in mount on top of him. He just about managed to get guard but Van Buren managed to get some shots in to probably nick the round.

The only highlight was seeing Dana's reaction to the fight afterwards.

Tough fight for Cathal next week. His opponent looks naturally a bigger man.

Did I imagine Dana shouting "Good fight gentlemen" or something like that after Round 1? And then absolutely lambasting the fight afterwards?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think the opening extended bout of knees seemed to take a lot of the gas out of fighters. (I train Muay Thai, and therefore been kneed too! :) ... if you haven't, believe me I'd rather be punched several times than take one knee to the solar plexus :) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 39 JojoD51

Wasn't impressed with BJ Penn brown nosing Dana afterwards. Also wonder if fighting at the higher weight than usual had an effect on Fields?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

JojoD51 wrote: »
    Wasn't impressed with BJ Penn brown nosing Dana afterwards. Also wonder if fighting at the higher weight than usual had an effect on Fields?

Well Van Buren was stronger than him but when he had a chance to break from the clinch multiple times he didn't take it, which i thought was a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,693 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I don't want to come across fighter bashing but Fields skill level is not UFC standard,
    I wish the guy all the best but lets be honest he isn't UFC level fighter there's no shame in it either not many are,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

JojoD51 wrote: »

Yeah Penn is a little worm for that.
    Couldn't believe he was licking the hole off Dana instead of at least taking some blame considering he's the coach ffs. I really hate the guy now after that. You could maybe understand the lickassing if he needed a favor off Dana but Penn is one of the richest guys in MMA.
    Cannot wait for Frankie to kick the head off him

In fairness fields shouldn't have even been in the house. he got leathered in his prelim.

His teeth are bloody weird too. He's a grand looking lad until he opens his mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

His teeth are bloody weird too. He's a grand looking lad until he opens his mouth

Well don't you just sound like a great lad altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

In fairness fields shouldn't have even been in the house. he got leathered in his prelim.

seriously?? this is the ****e people come out with.

Chris at least took a chance at furthering his career big time, and small minded people come and bash how he looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I don't want to come across fighter bashing but Fields skill level is not UFC standard,
    I wish the guy all the best but lets be honest he isn't UFC level fighter there's no shame in it either not many are,

One point is that (as with Cathal), Chris is a natural middleweight, so he's fighting a class above where he usually fights. The argument might be that some or most of the other fighters are doing the same (I don't know) but it's bound to have an impact for a fighter who's not even known for being physically strong at MW.

Since when are people not allowed to comment on the looks of people on the telly?

You guys are all like "arieane and Brittany are so hot" - why the flip should Chris fields get a pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Since when are people not allowed to comment on the looks of people on the telly?

You guys are all like "arieane and Brittany are so hot" - why the flip should Chris fields get a pass?

What has looks or a fighters teeth got to do with being a fighter??
    Arieana and Brittany are models and it's their job to be hot

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    What has looks or a fighters teeth got to do with being a fighter??
    Arieana and Brittany are models and it's their job to be hot

Whatever.
    He sucked ass anyway.

Worst season ever. Nothing happening in the house and fights are dire.

And BJ Penn is a royal asshole. A right little fecker

• Advertisement

That's some cutting analysis right there... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 39 JojoD51

Would you fix your teeth if you were a fighter, no, stupid comment.

And regarding his fight to get into the house, this is really starting to annoy me now. Anyone who watched that fight knows that Fields leg kicks caused that damage, you can see the feckin mark were he said his leg gave out. Also the fight was not finished so who knows how it would have ended otherwise. We have all seen fights that go back and forth and anything can happen.

Dana is probably the only reason why I don't want to watch this show, all he wants is blood for entertainment, which in my humble opinion is a pile of pants.

And finally, I have watched and been present for nearly all of Fields fights and he has every right to be in the UFC, grant you his fight with Van Buren had a lot of mistakes which I'm sure he knows, but he is very hard to keep down which is refreshing in a series of others who are.

Look, i'm all for defending Chris Fields. He's a top guy and a warrior.

But at the end of the day he's not UFC standard. He's had 2 fights now and he's lost almost every moment of both of them.

I'm not bashing the guy, it's just the truth!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I don't think there is such a thing as UFC standard anymore. Give the guy a go in his natural weight class on the under card and see how he gets on. Fields wasn't great but Van Buren just clinched every single time which is difficult to deal with when you are dealing with a bigger guy who is huge and in his natural weight class

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Cyber Ghost, if you want to continue posting crap like that you can take it to Sherdog. That's not what this forum is about. Tone it down or else don't post at all. And have a read of the charter before you post again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Yes the fights this season have been lacklustre in the extreme. If I had told you right after Pendred's fight that it would go on to be one of the most entertaining of the quarter finals you would have laughed at me.

But to be honest, I find it very difficult to put the full blame on the fighters themselves when they are competing under a very flawed judging and scoring system that doesn't really reward dynamism or variety of offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Other than Pendred's fights.... the only thing keeping me watching this season is to see how badly they can continue to mis-pronounce "Cathal" :)

DeVore wrote: »
    Other than Pendred's fights.... the only thing keeping me watching this season is to see how badly they can continue to mis-pronounce "Cathal" :)

Reported for accent bashing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Cot Hol

Advertisement