Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TUF 19 - Penn, Edgar + Pendred & Fields! **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Chris is on 98fm in the morning at 9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

The promo for Fields fight looks promising. I know the hype needs to be taken with a pinch of salt, but a mid octagon arm wrestle would almost top the previous in house fights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

The promo for Fields fight looks promising. I know the hype needs to be taken with a pinch of salt, but a mid octagon arm wrestle would almost top the previous in house fights.

The promo also shows Dana seemingly having another go at fighters for not fighting to finish but to win on points, that wouldn't fill me full of hope for a barn burner. Hope Im wrong

Devastator wrote: »
    The promo also shows Dana seemingly having another go at fighters for not fighting to finish but to win on points, that wouldn't fill me full of hope for a barn burner. Hope Im wrong

I saw that promo but there was a different one on last night focusing on the feud between Fields and Van Buuren. It ends with 'an ending you won't see coming" in regards to the fight itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 JojoD51

From the preview to tonight's episode, looks like Van Buren' plan is to wrestle as well - 'I'm going to tire him out'. Fields has good take down defence so hopefully it won't all be on the canvas (hopefully)!

• Advertisement

How the episodes are edited can give a clue to an underlying narrative. *Tenner on Van Buuren getting injured and not being able to fight, thus continuing the 'lucky Irish' theme from the first episode.

Either way I'm really looking forward to the fight. Chris with a Uriah Hall style headkick hopefully.

*not a real tenner, an Internet one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,170 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

How the episodes are edited can give a clue to an underlying narrative. *Tenner on Van Buuren getting injured and not being able to fight, thus continuing the 'lucky Irish' theme from the first episode.

Either way I'm really looking forward to the fight. Chris with a Uriah Hall style headkick hopefully.

*not a real tenner, an Internet one.

I think a clip of them both in the cage mid fight was shown in the preview.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I think a clip of them both in the cage mid fight was shown in the preview.

I meant to say during the fight. Technically I've already lost my tenner, not a good start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

Anyone know what time does tonights episode air at in the U.S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Usually 2am Irish time so it'd be 9pm eastern time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mark13

Eddie Gordon taking on Pendred next week, tonight's fight was another dud, the "ending you won't see coming" hype prior to it has me puzzled, must be desperate for ratings.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

mark13 wrote: »
    Eddie Gordon taking on Pendred next week, tonight's fight was another dud, the "ending you won't see coming" hype prior to it has me puzzled, must be desperate for ratings.

This season has been garbage for fights so it wouldn't surprise me..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

mark13 wrote: »

This puts Cathal within one fight from the Finale fight in Vegas, right?

I'm going with a Cathal win and Vegas fight because
    he's currently training with Gunnar Nelson, Conor McGregor and other SBG fighters out in Iceland in Gunni's gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

That fight stunk the place out. Terrible **** altogether.

Hopefully Cathal gets it done!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Been one of the worst, if not the worst TUF series so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

About 5 punches thrown total in the entire fight, I was looking forward to that an all. The whole season has been one turd after another. If it wasn't for the Irish lads i would have switched off a long time ago.

Yeah I'm only watching for Cathal and Chris. I probably won't watch another Ultimate Fighter after this, I've watched every season up to this and this is the worst by far. They really need to change it up, spend some money and have veterans/good TUF alumni fighting it out for a shot at a champ or something. The product is past stale at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭xtal191

Really has been a terrible season so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

MagicIRL wrote: »
    This puts Cathal within one fight from the Finale fight in Vegas, right?

I'm going with a Cathal win and Vegas fight because
    he's currently training with Gunnar Nelson, Conor McGregor and other SBG fighters out in Iceland in Gunni's gym.

Can maybe see him being on the prelim card in the O2 or on the prelim card of The TUF19 Finale night

Can't see him getting past the next fight in the house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

We expect too much.

I think the general expectation which we tend to have now of MMA fighters and fights in alll weight groups is far too high and it's just a human tendency, a product of having been treated to so many individually amazing fights and moments from the greatest fighters that we just expect far too much too often from fighters rather than forget all those unfair expectations and just watch fighting as it happens for what it is.... ugly...sometimes slow...lacking in KO's... and all because training has evolved so much in the last 10 years... 5 years especially... that people of limited talent can so often neutralize the skills we remember seeing from our fav fighters over the years whether it be BJ's speed or Nogs ground game or Silva's perfection. Our expectations are polluted by all those great moments but in reality fighting is more like what we're seeing on tuf this season - Pummelling for position, gradual hip escapes, pointless body shots to create impression, takedowns to stale positions coz you're tired, the fear of letting loose in a Leben like flurry because you don't want get dropped and because the game has gotten more conservative thanks to GJ's camps 'parry and jab' success ... there's been so much learned that training is going to nullify the gaps between the greatest from a few years back and the average trained ability of the 2012/13/14 MMA fighter who literally only drills what works in training.

You've got athletic guys with little true fighting talent using what works and going quite far even though in pure fighting raw talent terms they are fairly average. That's what we see in this season of TUF and that's the reality that you get from such a fast growing sport with hundreds of MMA gyms popping up around the world in the blink of an eye with guys going from 0-6 months training to a fight in some cases and so the pool gets diluted and you simply get less raw talent coming through or so it seems because of the volume of product we see with so many seasons of TUF and 43 UFC events, numbered or not this year and so many UFC fighters on their roster 300+.

So you have to step back and consider who you're comparing to who and look at how it is now possible to train a good athlete to be an MMA fighter whether or not they have raw talent or not and they can go 'reasonably' far just from the great functional training that's available right across the states in 150 MMA camps. So many great gyms with great training turn so many good athletes into decent fighters in a decent peroid of time now - there's an MMA factory line out there and what you get is - what you see in TUF etc.. where's the genius where's the raw talent the crazy techniques? It's all relative and if you don't step back and get a grip on the reality of the numbers and how special the greats were along the way, relatively or not, then you're going to have an unrealistic expectation too often be disappointed and then become disillusioned ... in kind of the same way as traditional martial arts and movies created a sour disappointment in so many when they realized from years doing martial arts that so much of it is completely useless cak..

what I think happens is - you create your own myth of MMA rather than enjoy it for what it is... each fight... each athlete .... each position... it's mostly tough unmovie-like graft and heart that sometimes less often than we think surprises us with something spectacular... which is the beauty of it...IF you adjust your expectations and live in the moment of MMA. That's my two cents anyway. The average fighter even if they make it to the f...b...i I mean UFC is just not as talented as we would ideally like because our memories are filled with so many great moments all together in a big sexy youtube highlight style memory bank which chooses to forget all the relatively banal fights that were on in the background as we smoked on balconies or got beers from fridges waiting for Captain America to emerge to Stranglehold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

Well that was a let down

I think there is a lot of good fighters in this season its just with so many good fighters they tend to nulify each other,if you had 2 fighters where one badly matched up to another you would have beat downs and knockouts,as per required by Dana.

Also i think a lot of these like you hear van buren is out of a camp with weidmann did he say or a big camp anyway,cathal has hype and pressure behind him too,all these fighters have high hopes,so when they make it through the first fight there is inevitable pressure.

Personally i think people are being harsh and possibly Dana is swaying people with his rants,he seems to be trying to create drama by ranting a lot,possibly because of dwindling ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Dreadful fight. Looked like it was being fought in slow motion for most of it. Will Fields make it on to the Dublin card at this rate d'ya think?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Don't wanna be to critical of fields but the ufc is a step too far for him,van buren was there for the taking but he doesn't seem to have the stand up ability,and considering he is never going to be a wrestling powerhouse it makes you wonder where his edge is going to be in any fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,842 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Van Buren just went for the clinch the entire fight, awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Dana should have just shut down this TUF set a example for next lot of fighters.If Dana sent them all home.Next group would give 1000%

• Registered Users Posts: 29,687 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Uuuuuggggggggghhhhhhh the way things are going no one will be winning ko or sub of the season. When someone is mentioned as a wrestler now I just picture another hugfest.

Feel bad for Chris, he had burren wobbly and there for the finish. I was screaming for a kimura to sink in.

Cmon Cathal, Best of luck next week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Tuf needs to seriously take a sabbatical. At least give it a few years for some more talent to rise to the top. There's multiple TUF seasons being recorded around the world at any one time these days, and the lack of actual talent is staggering. Have a look at the TUF14 lineup for instance, and the quality that came out of that season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

dulux99 wrote: »
    Tuf needs to seriously take a sabbatical. At least give it a few years for some more talent to rise to the top. There's multiple TUF seasons being recorded around the world at any one time these days, and the lack of actual talent is staggering. Have a look at the TUF14 lineup for instance, and the quality that came out of that season.

I recently re watched this season. Top notch fights and fighters. Season 5 is well up there as well in my opinion.

Going forward I'm actually looking forward to season 20. Female straw-weights. Has to be better than what TUF has given us lately.

Advertisement