Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can the book be beaten ...long term?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭del roy

4.40 nestor park €40 e/w  20/1

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

Fair play on the donation eh...Fanny ****.
    Just to mention the email address is still visible on that receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Earendil wrote: »
    Fair play on the donation eh...Fanny ****.
    Just to mention the email address is still visible on that receipt.

Good man! I'm an idiot

Fanny **** wrote: »
    Jesus Christ........

EDIT: ah f*ck it. If Irish Roe starts 4/1 or lower I'll donate €100 to the injured jockeys fund

I'll try again without my email address being visible (what a clown I am)!!!

10/1 Industry SP

13.0 betfair SP

Said I'd make a donation anyhow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

10/1 Industry SP

13.0 betfair SP

Fair dues, no problem admitting I got it horribly wrong, the market got it right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

10/1 Industry SP

13.0 betfair SP

No no, fair fcuks man.

Earendil wrote: »
    No no, fair fcuks man.

Fair play for pointing out I'd left my email visible!!!

Bank
    110 bets
    14 winners

-€920

-46pts

Just a few thoughts, I have rarely seen so many horses shorten in the betting and run so badly however that's the chance you take when you take night before or pre 9.30am prices.

As I said before I will stick with the 2k bank and when or if I hit -100pts I will call it a day.

The reason I called this thread..Can the book be beaten....long term is
    we all know punters or have been through purple patches ourselves but can it be done long term is the question being put to the sword and it's not looking too good, is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭magicmoves

del roy wrote: »
    Bank
    110 bets
    14 winners

-€920

-46pts

Just a few thoughts, I have rarely seen so many horses shorten in the betting and run so badly however that's the chance you take when you take night before or pre 9.30am prices.

As I said before I will stick with the 2k bank and when or if I hit -100pts I will call it a day.

we all know punters or have been through purple patches ourselves but can it be done long term is the question being put to the sword and it's not looking too good, is it ?

I have a feeling Cheltenham will change your fortune

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

You have to put some sort of time limit on the experiment as well though surely? In theory you could hover between say -25 and -75 points for years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

110 bets is far too small a sample size to infer anything. You could be making a loss betting coin tosses at 11/10 after 100 odd bets and that would obviously be a profitable bet long term. If you are beating BSP consistently then it will be profitable long term once the variance behaves itself. Whether you can get any real stake long term when betting at overnight prices and beating BSP is a completely different matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I also think the number of races is far too small to reveal the real picture.

In 2015 I had a thread: Recreation & Hobbies/Gambling/Challenges/Logs/Group races, Ireland & England, 2015, flat

It was 215 races with 46 winners but still made a loss of 19.8%.
    An example of the randomness was I has 20 horses finish 7th and 0 horses finish 8th.
    I had only one win from the first 20 bets, probably due to soft/heavy ground and lack of fitness, or terrible picking.

I'm thinking of doing another betting thread on the 2018 flat season, probably on maiden races, or lightly raced horses.

4.30 witness €40 e/w 9/1

110 bets is far too small a sample size to infer anything. You could be making a loss betting coin tosses at 11/10 after 100 odd bets and that would obviously be a profitable bet long term. If you are beating BSP consistently then it will be profitable long term once the variance behaves itself. Whether you can get any real stake long term when betting at overnight prices and beating BSP is a completely different matter.

But its not only 110 bets, it is the whole picture since Jerry started giving us selection. The jury is still out with me but I think the only to stay ahead is get the night before prices however it will not belong before the bookmakers have you cut down to peanuts or worst, will take no bets at all.

I do know Jerry has relations and friends opening accounts for him but in the long run, with the technology the bookmakers have at there disposal they will be pretty quick to catch them out,

so where will he go from there.

so where will he go from there.
    A betting exchange.

diomed wrote: »
    A betting exchange.

will not get the prices he is chasing on the exchanges, only buttons offered the night before.

will not get the prices he is chasing on the exchanges, only buttons offered the night before.
    It depends.
    I always use the exchange, but then I almost always bet high priced selections.
    My attitude is to put up a price I like in plenty of time, and if I get it fine.
    Occasionally I will take all of a price e.g. all the 75s.
    If I do not get my price I am happy to let the race pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Why bet the night before?
    Why not wait until noon on the day when there is a market with liquidity?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

I almost completely gave up night before prices, as it seems the best prices available are between 8-11 on a Saturday morning. (im mostly a Saturday punter).

• Advertisement

Bank
    111 bets
    14 winners

-€1000

-50pts

8.00 lucent dreams €40 e/w 10/1

Bank
    112 bets
    14 winners

-€1080

-54pts

7.20 luna eclispe €100 win 3/1 max bet 1st 9/4jf

A winner at last

Bank
    113 bets
    15 winners

-€780

-39pts

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭razorhead

Bank
    112 bets
    14 winners

-€1080

-54pts

7.20 luna eclispe €100 win 3/1 max bet

A nice max bet,

Still a long way just to go to get just my/our money back, razor.

I don't know whether it was the bad run or he didn't fancy anything but I think I prefer the bets being a bit spread out rather than 3 or 4 on one given day.

anyway softens the blow, just a little.

2.50 wicked spice 12/1 €40 e/w

This one is fancied by the stable today.

Jerry

Bank
    114 bets
    15 winners

-€860

-43pts

2.55 sir egbert €100 win 100/30 max bet
    4.40 wandering star €40 e/w 10/1

Bank
    115 bets
    15 winners

-€960

-48pts

2.45 through the thatch 7/1 €40 e/w

3.35 ballykan €20 e/w 14/1

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Nothingbutbets

Where's 'through the thatch running'?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭clevtrev

Where's 'through the thatch running'?

back to the thatch at Newcastle I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Back to the thatch. 7 to 1 Newcastle. 2.45 ???

Advertisement