Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus looking for Drivers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 InOtherWordsMe

I got my contract emailed this week and looking forward to it but like you I have a heap of questions. Interview is very predictable - why you want this job, what stressors, situations to expect , how you handled stressful situations before and show examples, examples of working as a team. Show you can handle pressure and responsibility and are professional and friendly dealing with the public. Had to do the competency test again in front of the interviewers - report and calculations. All fine. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Merlin50

Hi,did my medical today and need a letter from my doctor about my blood pressure. It was high today at medical. Does anyone know what is an acceptable blood pressure reading for them or what they will fail you on?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 renalf

Interview was fine, quite a while ago now so I wouldn't remember too much, the company is all about safety, moving our passengers safely around the city, driving safely at all times, being as efficient as possible, etc.

It has certainly lived up to my expectations, I previously worked shift work before so there was no major jump to that for me, lads that I trained with struggled quite a bit with that but now have come around and are fine with it.

Shift length definitely does vary, the duties themselves all have different times and locations, and then you add in rush hour and traffic and it can get messy, but it's never a problem, there are controllers to look after these things.

An early could start anywhere from 04:30 up to 11:00 and finish well, in my experience as far as ~20:00. But there are duties that have long breaks too, 4hr breaks etc, which if you live close enough to the garage you can always head home. Lates for me have started anytime from 11:00, and a duty could finish at 06:00 the next day. That being on a 24hr route of course.

Of course if you were starting at 11:00 you wouldn't be finishing more than 9/10/11 hours later.

Again every duty is different but I'll give you a duty I recently drove here. I started at 07:27 in the garage, (I'm in Phibsboro), and drove special to Ongar (empty bus). From there I did one run to UCD (39a) and then back to the garage and went on my break. It was a 4hr 45 min break, might seem rough to some but it suits me from time to time. My break ended at 15:30 at Bachelors Walk where I was due to pick up my next bus. From there I ran a 39a to UCD, then back to Ongar, and finally back to the garage empty to finish my duty. It was a long day with not many runs, only 7 hours driving time with a long break but they happen sometimes. There are other duties that may have 3/4 runs before you break or finish.

More often than not you will take your break in the city, you can always go to the garage but it all depends on how much time you have.

If you are late due to traffic or diversions or it being busy, or whatever that is not in your control, you will be regulated by the controllers. You are entitled to take your full break, and if you don't take your full break you are entitled to an hour overtime. (They want to keep the ball rolling right, if I break at 13:00 and I'm due back at 14:00, but I late break at 13:20, they may offer me an hour overtime to take a shorter break, or I can take my full break).

As a newbie myself, I don't think there is a lot of waiting around or long shifts personally, I think it's more so the case that we are spare drivers and can be placed on any route day to day. I don't feel as though I'm being treated as a newbie either.

I hope that helps out some more, best of luck to you all!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 wayne31

How do you learn all the different routes that the depot run?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

You do a week or two of route training when you get to the depot

• Advertisement

And although the advertised wage is 815 euro is averaged over a 26 week period, what would one take home relatively speaking after tax every week do you know ?

Many thanks indeed for that. So that shift was about 11 hours long but only 7 hours driving - how does payment work then? Still paid just daily rate or is that 4 hours overtime? Drivers definitely need to offer flexibility for this role - wouldn’t bother me as long as not taken advantage of. Decent conditions but not for everyone. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭rx8

The €815 is averaged over 5 weeks. The top rate of pay is €944 averaged over 5 weeks too.

3 weeks will be less, as they don't contain Sunday payment, and 2 weeks will be more as they do. Everybody's nett pay will be different, due their circumstances, but you should be taking home near enough to €600 on average over the 5 weeks. There's plenty of overtime available too, and even the hour or two for late breaks etc. all add up.

What do you mean late breaks ? Is the overtime rate good ?

If you are late breaking, you would be paid for the time you are late and if you come back on time it's normally 1hr.

• Advertisement

Brilliant. Thanks for the reply.

I got a reply saying I passed the online assessments about a week ago. I haven't heard anything since about the competency test and interview. Does that part usually take long.

I'm really excited about the idea of the buses. I know I've a long process ahead and I have SO many questions so sorry for annoying people 😐

Read back through the thread. There's lot's of information to be found a few pages back.

I just checked back on my emails for you. I got email on Friday 15th September to inform me of passing the online test. I then received another email on Monday 18th to attend for interview and driving assessment on 28th September. Then I received an email on 2nd October to attend for their medical on 17th October. After the interview I was asked to request a driving licence statement too. I think my referees were contacted on 26th October and then an email of job contract came on November 2nd to start on 4th December. As they need a new group starting together for a six week training period it may or may not be a long process but I found it a long wait. They mention too no days off permitted for 4 months. Best of luck with it.

With regards routes

Do certain depots only run certain routes? That's something I've always wondered ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Yes, you do not need to know the entire network. Just the ones operated from whichever garage you're working, for which you are given full training.

Got an email this afternoon. I'm in for a competency based interview/driving assessment on November 23rd at 08.45

Nervous. No idea what to expect but also really excited. Any tips ?

There's lots of YouTube videos about it online. Just keep thinking safety, safety, safety.

The driving is in a Nissan Leaf. Easiest car ever to drive. You'll go around Broadstone yard to get used to it first, before going out on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭TranslatorPS

The network is split rather cleanly between depots, as most routes are either operated by one garage entirely, split between two garages (can be half-and-half, or a little skewed), or mostly operated by one garage but with peak hours services out of another garage. There is a level of historical tradition in the areas operated by each garage too, a lot of it of course to do with the geographical locations.

How many routes would you learn In that time ? Surely it wouldn't be every route from.the depot would it ?

So I have the driving assessment next week along with the interview if the driving part goes well.

What can I expect? It said in the email there's no parking and to use public transport, but where is the closest place I could park within walking distance

I'm nervous. The interview is the part I dread. I'll prepare diligently but just really hope I'm OK and what I'm preparing comes up? Is it stuff like, why would you like to work for us ? What would you do in x y z situation, ect?

As for the driving, is it as strict as a driving test with minors and stuff like that or is it just a case of going out driving (both hands on the wheel, yellow box rules and so on..)

I feel like if I'm going to fall at a hurdle, this will be it. And I really really want this.

• Advertisement

Where exactly do you have to report to? The training centre in Phibsboro garage, or Broadstone ?

There's on-street parking opposite Mc Gowans on the Phibsboro road. I'm pretty sure you could just drive up to the Broadstone gate and security will lift the barrier for you, then drive straight up to the top of the yard, and park among the drivers cars outside central control. Nobody will bat an eyelid.

The driving assessment is to judge your ability and awareness on the road. Safety is a big concern. Just be confident in your ability and don't fret too much about it. They are not looking for a reason to fail you. The opposite is true to be fair... In the interview, just keep thinking safety, safety, safety. You'll be grand.

The training centre but the email I got said there's no parking facilities within the depot area

There is, just come up the hill and turn right, park outside the first building on the LEFT after the big speedbump

That's in the Bus Eireann section of Broadstone though, not that they'll mind. Anywhere behind the security hut is probably best. Then just walk back across the bridge towards the training centre.

OK I'll keep that in mind. Thank you for your help

Just on this, is it €661 before tax ?

And is the training Monday to Friday or including weekend ?

Yes that is gross weekly and paid for the 6 weeks of training. Everyone’s net pay is different depending on your tax credits, single, married etc. Someone could be on same gross wage but net getting €100 less weekly - everyone has different circumstances. Check your tax credits and you’ll know. Yes mon to Fri but if there’s a bank holiday during the week they ask you to work a Saturday instead. Christmas might be different, as Xmas day, Stephen’s day during the week-not sure what they’ll do.

4th December next group starts training.

I was in the training school today for the CPC Course. Plenty of new and aspiring drivers there. Driving assessments and interviews going on all day. They said that a new class starts every week. There's a few waiting for re-tests aswell. The place is jammed.

• Advertisement

I've my interview and assessment tomorrow. I'm okay about it but having read the above I'm now a bit I feel I have to really stand out and make an impression. Are there loads of jobs going ?

I was going to do a hand written cover letter too. I just really want the chance it's not just for me it's for my family too and their future. I'm sure the driving part will be grand and I've read and studied the role of a bus driver thing they sent in preparation but I'm nervous I'll just go blank. I've not done many interviews and even if I know what to say it's whether that'll come out 😅😅

How long after the interview generally do you hear whether or not you've been successful ?

Advertisement